Magical Miles to the Marathon! Comments welcomed

I'm terrible at posting trip reports. And I so love to read other people's. I just realized I only did one day of my recent Disneyland trip and i also never finished my Springtime surprise.

I ran the most miles I have ever ran in a week- 46! I have been doing Hanson's from scratch marathon plan. The long run tops out at 16, which I did for the first time this Sunday. I felt pretty good after. I'm trying to be positive and look forward to the marathon, even though its another 10 miles!. There is still a part of me that wishes I only registered for the marathon and not goofy to give it my full attention. I realize I could skip the half, but that is really the only medal I like. The weather here is perfect to me for running, sunny and in the 40's most of the run and I usually end the runs when it is in the 50's. Below 40 I hate, it just takes to long to warm up to me. Where I live while it gets in the 20's overnight once the sun comes up it gets nice.

I haven't found much (lots of copper) But I found a character stop!
1669139958197.png

Fall Sunsets are best!

1669140116380.png

Well, I am feeling very sorry for myself. Just when I thought my training was going good, I have been able to keep up with the milage/recommended paces on the Hanson’s from scratch plan, the pendulum of marathon dread/excitement had swung over to the positive side. On Saturday I was doing an easy 8 miles, so I thought I would go on a route that I hadn’t done for a while, since it is hilly, rocky and remote-ish. At 2.5 miles, I decided to look at my watch to change the song, took my eyes off the ground for a split second and rolled my ankle by stepping on a stupid rock! I crumbled to the ground and just lay in the dirt thinking- the song wasn’t that bad; you know never to take eyes off rocky areas. I looked at my phone- no service. For once I did tell someone where I was going and about when to expect me back (2 hours). It had been about 40 minutes, so I could lay there for at least two hours, by the time they realized I hadn’t come back, and drove out to get me (hoping they remember to take a truck). So, I let myself sit for a bit, and then got up and started the walk back to my car. Once I got walking it wasn’t as bad as I first feared. Going downhill was the worst. I got home cleaned up, took some medicine, compression sock. It had swelled a bit. I didn’t do my long run yesterday; in fact I hardly left my couch today is a rest day and tomorrow an easy six. There is still some swelling. I think I may skip tomorrow as well. Occasionally, I forget it is hurt, but then it reminds me. Marathon weekend is getting so close!

Echoing others. Err on the side of healing before getting back out there. Lots of fitness has been built up over the last months.

I haven't run again yet. It didn't bruise too much. Is in weird how bruises on sprained/rolled ankles seem to take days to show up? I did successfully lead a Storytime with lots of jumping/stomping etc. I am hoping to get out there Saturday.

After driving my mom to Tucson, and shopping etc., my ankle began to hurt again. I couldn't use cruise control for quite a while as there was a bad accident that backed up I-10 I think the pressing the gas/brake pedals for so long bothered me. I finally ran again today. 5 slow and steady miles, it's not 100% yet but almost.

I decided to switch to park hopper! I thought at first if I just stayed at one park, i could just focus on just that park. But I really want to see the fireworks/fantasmic and if the day I was at the park was cancelled that would be it. I'm getting excited for the trip, though still nervous about the full.

I had to take my mom again to Tucson for her Dr. Appt, and My ankle didn't bother me at all. It still hurts a bit once in a while if I push my ankle to side. I am hopeful that I can get back to doing all my planned mileage this weekend. 4 Fri, 10 Sat, 16 on Sunday.

I decided to see Drawn to life on Thursday the 5th! I have never seen a cirque show, I'm looking forward to it.

Well last week ended up being a bit of a mixed bag. I felt pretty good on my run Saturday and ended up doing it about 30 seconds faster per mile than I should have, without really meaning too. I need to make sure to check on my lap pace more often. And that included walking about .75 of a mile called the S curve where the road is really banked and hard on my knees/ankles. Sunday started out ok, but I was definitely struggling by the end. It was one of those days where I couldn't imagine going another ten miles. And I think I need a bigger pair of shoes! I ordered a half size up in the same model, they should be here Friday. I have been running for a while but these past months are the most milage I have ever done. I did find a license plate, 30 cents and a toyota emblem. And saw someone lost a ton of toilet paper it was like that on both sides of the road!
tp.jpg

I'm really trying to have a positive view of the weekend. I am planning on both HH and DATW. I am also aiming for the morning meetups for the half and marathon. I really want to see Fantasmic, and also don't want to have to wait in the lines. I missed when they released the dining packages, and finally found one. But it is for the Saturday at the brown derby, it's the first showing at least. If it starts at 7 I could maybe be back at POP by 8:15? Is this silly to contemplate before the marathon? For springtime surprise I tried to go to bed early and couldn't sleep anyway. I would be able to nap and lay out my marathon stuff before leaving for the show. When I was at Disneyland, I booked a package at River belle terrace only to be told during desert fantasmic was cancelled that night. I'll keep checking for other nights.

Tomorrow is going to be a real test for me- its just an easy 6 miles but it may be snowing here! It actually snows here most years but hardly sticks and never more than a day or two. Our winter weather is all over the place. Yesterday it was 68 today high of 48. I did just purchase running gloves when I was at costco that you can still use your phone and not have to take them off.

I'm really trying to have a positive view of the weekend. I am planning on both HH and DATW. I am also aiming for the morning meetups for the half and marathon. I really want to see Fantasmic, and also don't want to have to wait in the lines. I missed when they released the dining packages, and finally found one. But it is for the Saturday at the brown derby, it's the first showing at least. If it starts at 7 I could maybe be back at POP by 8:15? Is this silly to contemplate before the marathon? For springtime surprise I tried to go to bed early and couldn't sleep anyway. I would be able to nap and lay out my marathon stuff before leaving for the show. When I was at Disneyland, I booked a package at River belle terrace only to be told during desert fantasmic was cancelled that night. I'll keep checking for other nights.
I can't speak for you. I can only tell you my experience. Last marathon weekend I got a whopping 4 hours of sleep the night before the marathon (running Goofy) and was still able to complete it. The time zone change is probably not going to help, and IMO sitting there watching Fantasmic is VERY different from still go-go-going in the parks or standing in a line for hours.

Also, the one time we booked the Fantasmic dining package a thunder storm rolled in and the show got cancelled. They gave us a "ticket" to come back another day to sit in the dining-package section, but we had to add a day to our park tickets to use it (which wasn't much because it was part of a 2 week trip, but still....)

Tomorrow is going to be a real test for me- its just an easy 6 miles but it may be snowing here! It actually snows here most years but hardly sticks and never more than a day or two. Our winter weather is all over the place. Yesterday it was 68 today high of 48. I did just purchase running gloves when I was at costco that you can still use your phone and not have to take them off.
I have those gloves too I think! "head" brand? They're great!

Also, the one time we booked the Fantasmic dining package a thunder storm rolled in and the show got cancelled. They gave us a "ticket" to come back another day to sit in the dining-package section, but we had to add a day to our park tickets to use it (which wasn't much because it was part of a 2 week trip, but still....)
In Disneyland, they gave nothing. My waitress gave me 10% off, I don't know if that was standard.

Nothing reminds me that I am no longer in my 20s as a change it weather. It did snow and has been under 50 for this week. I didn't make the run on Monday, my bones were so achy!

I ran in the SNOW! It was more of a dusting and didn't accumulate, but still. It was so cold, my ankle started hurting again. I really hope it is because my joints are sensitive to cold/wet weather and not that it isn't healed. I debated continuing my run or calling it quits, but even increasing the walk portion of didn't seem to help. I ended up stopping at 12 miles when my long run was to have been 16. I'm trying to not freak out. I ran 10 the day before when it was cold but sunny and everything was fine. This rolled ankle has taken way longer than I thought to heal. I did see in my googling that there are exercises you can do to strengthen the ankles against this kind of injury.

For the half, I think I am going to go much slower than I normally would, so I can hopefully finish the marathon. I have decided to wear costumes. I think I will be Tinkerbelle for the half, and the red queen for the full. I'm a little sad that I will not be able to ride Everest during the full as I won't arrive there in time.

I'm really trying to be positive, but it's scary to finally be attempting a full!

Well, I am extremely nervous. my ankle ended up swelling up again. So, i cut my runs even more, and it seems better? I just hope I can finish. Things were going so good until I stepped on that stupid rock! But I shall do my best. I have barely started packing, I'm still not sure what to wear, I got a Tinkerbelle costume that I haven't ran in and I think I just want to wear my regular running clothes, I also never got around to making the queen of hearts costume i had considered.

And it has been so cold here! I had an outside pipe burst on Christmas eve. Luckily a family friend was able to fix it that day.

I am so glad 2022 is over. It was a hard year. After Marathon Weekend, I really am going to focus on my diet and hopefully maintain my current fitness. I definitely did stress eat and drink too much this past year.

I am looking forward to meeting people at the meetup.

I finished! I was scared as the longest Hanson run I'd did was 16 and I could barely run the last two weeks, so I didn't. I kept reminding myself of @DopeyBadger post that you don't lose much fitness in that time. I went pretty conservatively, and even managed a negative split. I feel surprisingly fine. My ankle is pretty tender but I kt taped it after the half. I do wonder if I changed my gate as my left quad seems more sore then the right. (Which is the bad ankle side).

I enjoyed the race and want to do another. the next couple of months I'm going to focus on losing all the stress weight I gained last year. And plan for a fall race. This board has been great, especially since I have no friends who like running right now.

Eta: 16 not 26

Last edited:
Well I don't think I'll eat a BOG again, unless the menu changes a lot. I'm a vegetarian and like at Cinderella table only one option. Some super weird corn cakes, with a mustard on top and chewy veggies. I was worried when I sat down as the lady on the table next meet are like one bite, and complained to her husband. Here is a pic, I'm usually like most veg dishes. The salad was fine and desserts good but not anywhere worth 67+.

Attachments

• IMG_20230108_210257928.jpg
    IMG_20230108_210257928.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 4

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter