Love is “Universal”: Our Awesome Anniversary Adventures in Orlando (May 2015 TR)

Thank you for such a wonderful trip report! I loved all your pictures, detail and food! We are planning our first ever offsite trip for next May, and will be doing Universal, Disney and possibly Sea World. Sheraton Vistana has been on my radar.

We will be taking my husband's cousin along, she is not into any sort of nightlife or young singles, so hopefully I can find the perfect resort as she's very picky!

Once the last of the Superstar Parade danced its way past us, we continued up the street toward New York and the Mummy.

I knew Steve would enjoy getting his adrenaline going on a coaster (albeit a mild one, as he was quick to remind me :rolleyes:) so I shooed him along as he protested...weakly. Today was our actual anniversary....22 years!!....and I think he was worried that I’d be iinsulted if he admitted that yes, he wanted to ride something that I didn’t. Very sweet, but so silly. GO, I told him. I was happy to explore the New York area with camera in hand, and the posted wait was only 10 minutes anyway. We set a meeting place, and he entered the queue while I took a stroll.

I really love the New York area, the detail is so perfect.

And I think it was wonderful planning to put this beautiful little park adjacent to the Mummy. What a perfect place to enjoy the Florida sun while your loved ones get all shook up on the coaster :thumbsup2.

Much to my delight, I stumbled upon this little festive gem.....and being the Christmas Elf that I am, I had to go inside!

I was sorely tempted to spend the souvenir budget right there, right then, In its entirety. I mean, they had Minion Christmas lights........MINION CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!!!!

They had a marvelous selection of decorations, actually. It took all my self control to snap my photos and shuffle myself out of there before Steve would be wishing he’d kept me supervised :rotfl2:.

I was just leaving the store when I spied Steve coming out from the Mummy, so snapped the obligatory ride pic for the photo album before continuing on our exploration tour:

After the Mummy, we wound our way around and checked out Springfield. The area had undergone a huge expansion since our last visit in 2012, and being the Simpsons fans that we are, we were so excited to see all the changes and new features that they added. We were not disappointed!

We walked through Simpson’s Fast Food Boulevard, checking out Moe’s Tavern and the menus at the various dining locations. Steve had his photo taken with Jebediah Springfield (Jake was going to be insanely jealous):

....and we walked on to the Twirl & Hurl.....we would ride this one a lot over the course of the week!

We moved on, knowing we didn’t have huge amounts of time to devote to any one area, with the park closing early and our bodies growing weary from such an early start and a busy day. As we walked, we were trying to decide if we should visit Diagon Alley today (just getting a taste of the new section of the park, knowing we’d have limited time there) or leave it until we were back on Sunday (when we had a full day at Universal planned and could take all the time we wanted). Then, just like that, all that chit-chat went out the window when Steve spotted Bumblebee out for a meet-and-greet. My great big macho man turned into instant child and beat a path to the line. Yes, there is a little kid in all of us, just aching to be let out :goodvibes .

After the character meet, Steve rode Transformers (at my urging.....for heaven’s sake, man, I don’t mind!!)....again, with no waits.

After Transformers, my guy was adamant that we were going to do something “for me”.... and by making that suggestion, he knew what “Despicable” attraction I would be headed to.

I am sure I was smiling like an idiot as we walked into the queue, which we now sped through as our after-4 pm Express Pass (a perk of our Premier AP's) had now kicked in. I was about to fulfill the top item on my bucket list: I was going to meet a Minion :banana:(actually, make that two! :cool1:).

Did I mention that there’s a little child inside all of us, just dying to be freed? :blush:

Despicable Me, coming up next. And no, we couldn't wait.....we opt to get a little taste of Diagon Alley (literally :drinking1).
Reading your post tells me that there is soooo much that we didn't see or do at Universal last year! Like, I'm Mrs. Christmas, and I HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS A CHRISTMAS STORE!!! Where is it?

Thank you for such a wonderful trip report! I loved all your pictures, detail and food! We are planning our first ever offsite trip for next May, and will be doing Universal, Disney and possibly Sea World. Sheraton Vistana has been on my radar.

We will be taking my husband's cousin along, she is not into any sort of nightlife or young singles, so hopefully I can find the perfect resort as she's very picky!

Thank you Amy&Dan! :goodvibes I will be interested to hear if you decide to stay at SVR......its a beautiful resort with some fantastic amenities! (there's a whole thread dedicated to the resort here:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/

in case you haven't checked it out yet. It might be helpful in your decision-making process)

Reading your post tells me that there is soooo much that we didn't see or do at Universal last year! Like, I'm Mrs. Christmas, and I HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS A CHRISTMAS STORE!!! Where is it?

There are two Christmas stores at Universal. This one is in the Studios, in the New York section (across from the park, just down from the Mummy, on the opposite side of the block from Finnegans):

And this one is in Port of Entry at IOA:

Thought I should chime in to let you know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. It has been a very busy spring, and I struggle to keep up with the pace of the report. I'm still back at page 14. Every time I finish a page, a new one seems to magically appear, so that I have been pretty much 12 pages behind for at least 3 weeks now. So many things I COULD comment on, but they would be complete non-sequiturs. It will be interesting to see what you say about this post when I catch up to it in about 2 weeks hence...

I fell off the notification list so it took me awhile to find you and catch up. I'm so glad I did, what an amazing TR! I found every entry to be both educational and enjoyable -- while helping to ramp up the excitement for a Universal trip! Thank you -- and it would be criminal if we don't see more PTRs and TRs for your upcoming trips. You need to keep your fans happy ;)

Maria :upsidedow

Thanks Gina for your trip report. I am in awe of you in how quickly you have managed to complete your trip report. Our Universal tickets arrived this week. I was a bit disappointed they didn't have any Minions on them. Did ESTAs this week so something else ticked off the list.

Thought I should chime in to let you know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. It has been a very busy spring, and I struggle to keep up with the pace of the report. I'm still back at page 14. Every time I finish a page, a new one seems to magically appear, so that I have been pretty much 12 pages behind for at least 3 weeks now. So many things I COULD comment on, but they would be complete non-sequiturs. It will be interesting to see what you say about this post when I catch up to it in about 2 weeks hence...
Hallajulia....the golden girls (and guy) are here!

Well, its about darn time you showed up again! ;) Here I thought you'd lost interest and decided to pull weeds in your garden instead.

Feel free to comment away.....its never too late to chime in. I might just amaze and impress you on how well I can keep up with two-week-old thoughts :teeth: .

I fell off the notification list so it took me awhile to find you and catch up. I'm so glad I did, what an amazing TR! I found every entry to be both educational and enjoyable -- while helping to ramp up the excitement for a Universal trip! Thank you -- and it would be criminal if we don't see more PTRs and TRs for your upcoming trips. You need to keep your fans happy ;)

Maria :upsidedow

Aw, you are too sweet! :goodvibes I am so glad you enjoyed reading along! I will be sure to post a link here if or when I start an October PTR :thumbsup2 . I am sure I will grow bored when I finish all those TripAdvisor reviews and be itching to start typing (and planning) for fall!

Hallajulia....the golden girls (and guy) are here!
Amen, sister! Didn't bankr63 offer to be our driver? :drive: And pigletto was to round out our trio?

Gina, as usual you did a wonderful job with your report. You give such detailed reports you almost feel as if you were there. Love all the pictures and details. Glad to see Bankr63 back on here. I find him very informative as well. I hope Jake had a good first year in college.

Amen, sister! Didn't bankr63 offer to be our driver? :drive: And pigletto was to round out our trio?
Yes, I think so but Banker never did confirm the handbag.

and in other drama....has anyone been reading a TR by a guy named Disneykid4life? It seems that there was an accusation made and now all his TR's are gone from the boards. I think he had 4 or 5 of them. It's like they never existed at all....very creepy. I got the notification that included the post with the accusation(I had to read it twice because I didn't quite catch the gist of it) and within an hour or so the TR had disappeared.

Gina, as usual you did a wonderful job with your report. You give such detailed reports you almost feel as if you were there. Love all the pictures and details. Glad to see Bankr63 back on here. I find him very informative as well. I hope Jake had a good first year in college.

Thank you dennise :goodvibes .

Jake had an awesome first year....he achieved his goal of 90% overall average, and is excited to return in September. It went soooooooo fast, though. Before I know it, he'll be clad in his cap and gown and holding that diploma in his hand!!

Yes, I think so but Banker never did confirm the handbag.

and in other drama....has anyone been reading a TR by a guy named Disneykid4life? It seems that there was an accusation made and now all his TR's are gone from the boards. I think he had 4 or 5 of them. It's like they never existed at all....very creepy. I got the notification that included the post with the accusation(I had to read it twice because I didn't quite catch the gist of it) and within an hour or so the TR had disappeared.

Wow...that's odd :confused: . Can't say I've read any of his reports, as I tend to read most only the Universal or Seaworld ones faithfully. The mods are obviously keepin' a watchful eye on us naughty kids!

Wow...that's odd :confused: . Can't say I've read any of his reports, as I tend to read most only the Universal or Seaworld ones faithfully. The mods are obviously keepin' a watchful eye on us naughty kids!
It might be child predator type stuff. I really don't know but that's the vibe I got from the last post that I saw before it was deleted. I generally only read the same few people but this guy is from the maritimes so I thought I would read it.

Just getting caught up on your review Gina! I read one of your previous reports & I got so many great tips!! We went to the Shrek breakfast @ Gaylord Palms!!! It was so AMAZING!!! :) Thank you for sharing all the good info & vacation ideas!!!!

Didn't the stew have lamb in it? I've never had lamb....so I was a bit hesitant to give that dish a try.

Is it like beef? Pork? Or nothing like either?

We have lamb all the time. It tastes like nee-ther, or is that nigh-ther? But it goes most excellently with peas and mint sauce. I love peas, but aside from mom, am the only one in the family who does. So the only time I usually get peas is when we have lamb; which is once or twice a year at a family get together. And it always goes with mint sauce. Think that the lamb is my Scottish heritage. Lamb or Mutton is pretty common in their cuisine and makes excellent stews or soups. Authentic Scotch Broth, mmmmm. Darn now I'm hungry again...

I was so on the fence about a universal visit until I read your tr. Now, I'm thinking 8 days may have to split and do disney for 5 and universal for 3. I feel like Wed be missing so much if we didn't.

It might be child predator type stuff. I really don't know but that's the vibe I got from the last post that I saw before it was deleted. I generally only read the same few people but this guy is from the maritimes so I thought I would read it.

:scared1: Kinda creepy!

(his thread is back up, though....I did manage to find it earlier today, with all the drama edited out by the mods)

Just getting caught up on your review Gina! I read one of your previous reports & I got so many great tips!! We went to the Shrek breakfast @ Gaylord Palms!!! It was so AMAZING!!! :) Thank you for sharing all the good info & vacation ideas!!!!

You're welcome! :goodvibes I always love trying something new! (and sharing the results with friends....either giving it a good recommend, or saving them the pain of trying something awful :rotfl: .... thankfully, there's been very few "duds" along the way!)

We have lamb all the time. It tastes like nee-ther, or is that nigh-ther? But it goes most excellently with peas and mint sauce. I love peas, but aside from mom, am the only one in the family who does. So the only time I usually get peas is when we have lamb; which is once or twice a year at a family get together. And it always goes with mint sauce. Think that the lamb is my Scottish heritage. Lamb or Mutton is pretty common in their cuisine and makes excellent stews or soups. Authentic Scotch Broth, mmmmm. Darn now I'm hungry again...

Hmmmm. Not sure I'm sold just yet. I'm okay with peas, but not sure about the mint sauce (not a big mint lover at all.....one candy cane a year and that's about the sum total of my mint intake).

So lamb is nothing like beef or pork? Double hmmmm :scratchin .

I was so on the fence about a universal visit until I read your tr. Now, I'm thinking 8 days may have to split and do disney for 5 and universal for 3. I feel like Wed be missing so much if we didn't.

The Universal parks are well worth a visit.....if your budget can handle it, take the plunge and I bet you'll be happy you did :thumbsup2 . Its nothing like Disney, but that's the beauty of it....its not supposed to be! :)

Gina, my husband and I went to see Jurassic World this weekend and they had a movie trailer for the Minion movie. I thought of you and how you're probably going to be one of the first people in line to see it! It looks soo...cute my husband even said he wants to see it now.

Gina, my husband and I went to see Jurassic World this weekend and they had a movie trailer for the Minion movie. I thought of you and how you're probably going to be one of the first people in line to see it! It looks soo...cute my husband even said he wants to see it now.

You bet your boots I will be there.....I seriously can't wait!! :banana:

Steve's says he wants to go with me, and so does a friend of mine. Jake flatly refuses :rotfl: ..... he says "I can just see it now, a theater full of 8 year olds and then my Mom and Dad in the first row, more excited than the rest of them put together". Hmmmmm..........he's probably not far off the truth! :lmao:

Jake and Sweetie went and saw Jurassic World too......they LOVED it :thumbsup2 .

Lol that's hilarious what Jake said! :rotfl2:Tell him he can sit behind you and act like he doesn't know your party? JW was was good we liked how they had a scene of the original JP inserted. It brought back memories when we took our then 5 yr old son and I was expecting my DD! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter