Love is “Universal”: Our Awesome Anniversary Adventures in Orlando (May 2015 TR)

Hi Gina! Loved you trip report. So nice to see someone who goes to different restaurant. Orlando Ale House and Hash House (I've been to the Orlando and Vegas locations and I think Orlando has better food) are two of my favorites. Pretty cheap compared to all the theme park food and the meals are delicious. Just wanted to add, I was there in February, and I think your family would LOVE the Cowfish. Sushi is only a small part of it. If your husband liked the burgers at red robin I think he'd really like these. They do plenty of burgers with fries(and regular sushi for fans of that). But they have something called Burgushi, where they create sushi-rolls out of steak, pork, bison, etc. They have a BBQ pork roll that is one of the best things I've ever eaten. And their alcoholic milkshakes are pretty amazing too. Just something to consider for your future trips.

Thank you!

I think you'll find lots to love about Universal.....they are fantastic theme parks! What are your October dates? We're there from the 10th to the 17th....our first time travelling to Orlando in the fall. I can't wait to see the parks all decked out for Halloween.

We'll be at Universal October 13th and 14th. :)

Welcome aboard! :)

Ah, those excited teens.....I hope they all had a magical trip :goodvibes. They weren't on our plane home (which was the only non-stop flight of the day), so I'm guessing maybe they returned the day before. I sure wish my high school graduating class had planned a trip to Orlando in celebration of our achievements!! Lucky kids indeed![/QUOTE

Thanks for my late welcome! I see by schumigirl you finished your trip report. They were one Very lucky graduating class to celebrate in Orlando! I'm sure if you weren't excited about the trip before you boarded the plane, the passengers would sure get excited being around a bunch of teens!!! Can't wait to read more, I'm on page 14 only. I'm going to have to be current with you next trip report!!

You did a Lot your final day! Sounds fun but tiring. We like downtown Disney but I don't think it's really supposed to be magical like the park experiences (for families with little ones at least parks can be.) I like it for a shopping area, get a little Disney and compact souvenir shopping. I got Earl coupon so we can try it out.

I'm still not feeling the gator love! We are doing Gatorland but It's for Dh and the kids. Glad you got your chance to enjoy them though.

I love the idea of noting costs to see how it changes over the years. I may steal the idea. I love a discount or saving money on vacation. The more I save in one area, the more extras we can do another day!

Monday, May 4th: part 3

DING! 100! Winner!!! :jumping1:

And that, my friends, is how Bob the Minion officially joined our family :love2:.

Eventually, we made our way out of the park, through CityWalk, back to the car, and down the I4 to the resort. We made Bob comfy in the back seat, but he insisted on wearing Steve's hat:

Love it !!! :love: Steve must have been on a sugar high from that Lush dessert!! I'm truly enjoying reading your trip report, you have a great writing style!
Red Robin, and the end of our Monday, is next.

i'm seeing homies that will be there in october when i am.
it's a beautiful month to do the darkside.

Another GREAT TR!

When does the Oct PTR begin? I can't wait to see if you take my advice and do a BIP. You.Will.LOVE.It.

Gina......I loved your trip report. So much fun to read along the way.........your last day was busy for a last day....I have to admit I zipped past the gator pics......hate them.....can't even look at them.......lol.......but glad you enjoyed it all the same.......they're the stuff of nightmares :D We are not DTD fans either and have no desire to go there until I saw the amphicars ::yes:: I have to go on one of those!!!

You are brave totting up the final cost.........I know what it roughly costs us but have never been brave enough to count it all up.......I would need to be sitting down I think.......lol.......I don't care actually what they cost......out trips are worth every penny no matter what the cost. As a very wise person once said....."it doesn't always matter about the money, sometimes it's about more than that".......and I live my life by that motto apparently......or so I'm told :rolleyes1

As for your landing, could have been a sudden gust of wind that knocked the plane......has happened to us a few times on landing.......doesn't bother us actually but we are the people that turbulence doesn't bother us either....lol.......

I'm sad it's over but you have another trip coming up soon.......be here before you know it Gina......thanks for the report I really enjoyed it :)

The amphicars do look spectacularly cool....but the $125 price tag for a 20 minute water tour is way too rich for my blood :crazy2: . You'll have to schedule that in for your September vacation and give us all the juicy details in your next TR.....I can live vicariously through your and your DH, and it will almost feel like I was there! :teeth:

I totally agree on your money quote......some things have way more than a monetary value ::yes:: . It (so far!) never bothers me to see that final total on the bottom of the page. We don't smoke, we don't drink, we live modestly, we are responsible savers, we don't carry credit card debt, Jake's college education is paid in full, and our trips costs are all covered before we ever leave the house. And as I jokingly tell my mom.....our trips are cheaper and more effective than a therapist :laughing: .

Excellent TR, Gina!! I really enjoyed it! Glad that you made it home in one piece! Sad about you not getting to bring home any citrus.. I hadn't even thought about it not being allowed! We brought home a big bag of oranges on our trip home.. and a watermelon.. and some pecans.. and some key lime jelly.. LOL!

I am going to have to look more into groupons and stuff on our next trip! What a great way to save some $$!

Thanks mrsabbott! I adore Groupon....we have found the most fun and affordable "extras" on that website, for Orlando and all the other cities we have traveled to (Niagara Falls, Toronto, etc.). Some of those little side adventures have ended up providing us with the most special memories! And.....they're easy on the wallet to boot :thumbsup2 .

That's not a bad total at all for all of the stuff you guys did!

I wasn't too appalled......its a little higher on the per person/per day breakdown than we usually are, but this included our annual passes and Photoconnect AP which will be used on our next few trip, too.

You absolutely must go back to Earl of Sandwich for either lunch or dinner. They are not really a breakfast place. It is probably our #1 favourite place. We usually eat there 2 or 3 times per trip. In March I got completely ripped off as on our first stop there for dinner I opted to try something new (which I always say I'm going to do but rarely have) with the promise from Paige that we were going back again at least once. Well, we never did go back and I didn't get my Holiday Sandwich :sad: If that $20 Groupon existed for one of my visits we'd be eating there daily.

The DTD construction project is H-U-G-E but should be much, much better by December.

I hope you are right on DTD.....I was honestly really disappointed on how little progress was made from the end of August to the beginning of May. I had hoped to take the fam to DTD for our Christmas trip to visit with Santa, but if the chaos hasn't improved substantially, we'll probably take a pass. We will take at least a drive-by in October to check things out.

Steve liked the look of the sandwich menu, too. We may just give it a try for lunch in December with our BOGO coupons from the Entertainment Book.

it's been a great read !

i'll be on the lookout for future trip reports you make gina.

Thanks mac! :goodvibes We have two more Universal-based trips in the works with our APs (October 2015 and April 2016), then a non-parks trip for Christmas week. I don't know if I will do TR's for them all, but hey....you never know!

Really enjoyed your report thanks for taking the time to do it.

Thanks for reading along with me! :thumbsup2 Glad to hear that you enjoyed it :goodvibes .

Hi Gina!

I really enjoyed reading your trip report! You've given me some great ideas on new restaurants to try, and I love the Universal Studios details as well. We haven't been to Universal since 1997, and with Disney prices continuing to climb, we may decide to try it out next year. This year, we're still doing a few days in Disney, but we'll be heading to Sea World and Aquatica as well. The Orlando area really does have a lot to offer in addition to Disney.

Thanks for sharing your trip! :goodvibes Looking forward to hearing about your next one.:thumbsup2

SeaWorld and Aquatica are fabulous additions to a trip! (we are big, BIG fans of the SW parks)

If you are interested in checking out our experiences at those two parks, our August 2014 trip report covers them both. The link is in my signature, if you want to read about those too :) .

Hi Gina! Loved you trip report. So nice to see someone who goes to different restaurant. Orlando Ale House and Hash House (I've been to the Orlando and Vegas locations and I think Orlando has better food) are two of my favorites. Pretty cheap compared to all the theme park food and the meals are delicious. Just wanted to add, I was there in February, and I think your family would LOVE the Cowfish. Sushi is only a small part of it. If your husband liked the burgers at red robin I think he'd really like these. They do plenty of burgers with fries(and regular sushi for fans of that). But they have something called Burgushi, where they create sushi-rolls out of steak, pork, bison, etc. They have a BBQ pork roll that is one of the best things I've ever eaten. And their alcoholic milkshakes are pretty amazing too. Just something to consider for your future trips.

Thank you marabusybee!

We've heard that Cowfish is getting a lot of love ::yes:: . I'm pretty non-adventurous, but as long as they are happy to accommodate a plain Jane like me, I know Steve would be up for it. A regular lament of ours it that despite 7 trips under our belt, with three more in the works, there is still huge list of dining establishments that we want to try. Always more of a list than we can squeeze in on a single vacation!! (good thing I don't live in Orlando, or I would be twice the size I already am!)

We'll be at Universal October 13th and 14th. :)

I dont know about you guys, but I am thinking we need to get a Dismeet scheduled ::yes:: ... even if its just to meet for a drink and a hello at Margaritaville!

You did a Lot your final day! Sounds fun but tiring. We like downtown Disney but I don't think it's really supposed to be magical like the park experiences (for families with little ones at least parks can be.) I like it for a shopping area, get a little Disney and compact souvenir shopping. I got Earl coupon so we can try it out.

I'm still not feeling the gator love! We are doing Gatorland but It's for Dh and the kids. Glad you got your chance to enjoy them though.

I love the idea of noting costs to see how it changes over the years. I may steal the idea. I love a discount or saving money on vacation. The more I save in one area, the more extras we can do another day!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I think we are going to do Gatorland on our Christmas trip. We havent been since Christmas 2012, so we are due for a visit back. Its a fun way to spend a few hours, especially for a gator-loving girl like me :) . I think you are your kids will really enjoy it!

i'm seeing homies that will be there in october when i am.
it's a beautiful month to do the darkside.

We need someone to organize a Dismeet some evening, assuming everyone is up for it. It would be so much fun to get to put some faces with the names I see so regularly on these boards. We would definitely be interested if the rest of you are!

Another GREAT TR!

When does the Oct PTR begin? I can't wait to see if you take my advice and do a BIP. You.Will.LOVE.It.

Not sure yet about an October PTR, but not ruling it out either. I have all my TripAdvisor reviews still to do for the May vacation, so that has to be done first.

You will have to remind me again what BIP stands for. lol, perhaps I should not be checking messages on the computer on a Sunday morning until after I have had my first coffee!! Obviously the brain is not working quite right just yet.

Loves The Mouse, I didnt want you to think that I was forgetting you in my responses....for some reason, I cant seem to quote your posts :badpc: .

Just wanted to say that I am reading all of your replies, and am so happy you are enjoying my report! Its great to have you reading along and chiming in :goodvibes .

One of my post-vacation must-do's is a photo book of our trip from Picaboo (I have tried Shutterfly in the past as well, but Picaboo tends to give me the best finished product...and their online software is so easy to use). That book is always my favourite souvenir.....so many fun memories that we enjoy looking back on in the years to come.

If anyone is interested in taking a peek at how this trip's book turned out, I thought I'd share the preview link. You can click here to view:

http://www.picaboo.com/?share=9915c0c8c87c62d875883ad5636f5521&version=548364&siteID=ViaPreview

Loves The Mouse, I didnt want you to think that I was forgetting you in my responses....for some reason, I cant seem to quote your posts :badpc: .

Just wanted to say that I am reading all of your replies, and am so happy you are enjoying my report! Its great to have you reading along and chiming in :goodvibes .

? I wonder why your not getting them? Thanks for letting me know, I'm going to have to see what I'm doing wrong. It's nice you take the time to post a trip report!! We are getting a lot of ideas from you thanks !!! It's a shame Steve could not get on Rip Ride Rocket. :guilty: We forgot about it last yr. We know how you both felt, my husband could not get on Forbidden Journey. ( His shoulders were too wide as well)

What a beautiful photo book Gina! I will have to try Picaboo next time. I love love love your quotes throughout it. :goodvibes

And you guys get to go back so soon yay!

? I wonder why your not getting them? Thanks for letting me know, I'm going to have to see what I'm doing wrong. It's nice you take the time to post a trip report!! We are getting a lot of ideas from you thanks !!! It's a shame Steve could not get on Rip Ride Rocket. :guilty: We forgot about it last yr. We know how you both felt, my husband could not get on Forbidden Journey. ( His shoulders were too wide as well)

No worries...I can read other replies, I just couldn't quote them (silly computer!). This one is working fine, though!

Ugh, your poor hubby....I bet he was disappointed when he wouldn't fit on FJ. Its hard to miss out on rides that are such headliners for the average-bodied public. I guess its tough to build a ride vehicle that fits all sorts of human sizes!

What a beautiful photo book Gina! I will have to try Picaboo next time. I love love love your quotes throughout it. :goodvibes

And you guys get to go back so soon yay!

Thanks ArwenMarie! If you ever decide to give Picaboo a try, be sure you always, ALWAYS wait for discount code before you order. They release a new one every week, anything from a percent off to unlimited pages for free. I have never paid full price yet (thank goodness!)......half price or less is always my benchmark.

Some random thoughts, lessons learned, and other comments we thought might be helpful to share:

- The annual passes saved us a TON on parking, food, and souvenir purchases, and we loved the flexibility of being able to come and go as many times as we liked, and from park to park with no restrictions. On parking alone we saved a whopping $100 on just this first trip (4 x $25....we had to pay the $17 regular fee for our first visit, as our passes were not yet activated when we arrived). We saved more than $100 on food, and 20% off on all merchandise bought in the parks (probably another $50-ish). We also redeemed 6 of our free bottles of water (would have been $2.75 each to buy) and our free Halloween Horror Night tickets looks like it will be another $90 savings or so (at least $45 each) for October. The free after 4 pm express was a nice perk, but not really needed this trip as crowds were so low. I am guessing that will be a much more noticeable benefit in October.

- Getting to the parks early is well worth the effort of rousing yourself from your comfy bed when the rooster crows. Those first few hours were absolutely golden. And early entry, if you have the opportunity to take advantage of that perk, is seriously the cat’s meow....especially where the Wizarding World attractions are concerned.

- We loved, loved, LOVED early May! The weather was incredible and the crowds were so manageable. It was marvellous to have no hurricane/snowstorm/weather woes with which to contend for our journey there and back from the North, too.

- The drive to and from our offsite resort was exceptionally quick and easy. The I4 was quick and efficient, both directions, on every trip. Certainly the time of year had something to do with that, but considering we worried a bit about that commute, we were pleasantly surprised. The Vistana is really in a perfect location, especially if you are splitting a trip between any combination of the Disney, Universal and SeaWorld parks.

- We loved the Photoconnect Star Card. Some truly great photos, and especially for a couples trip, it was nice to have so many opportunities to both be in pictures together. Our $49.95 presale price from last October was a STEAL. The current price of $149.95 makes me cringe, but I guess if you could get in at least 3 trips for that cost, it really would still be worth it.

- The table service restaurants were much better than we expected. We can’t wait to return to Finnegan’s and Confisco’s in October. The service, food, and prices were all excellent.

- We had the opportunity for WAY more character meets than we had anticipated. Over the course of our week, we got photos with 34 different characters as follows:

· Bumblebee, Megatron, Optimus Prime
· Thing 1, Thing 2, Cat in the Hat, Sam I Am, The Grinch
· Betty Boop, Marilyn Monroe, Popeye
· Doc from Back to the Future
· Shrek, Donkey
· Scooby, Shaggy
· Spongebob Squarepants
· Minions (two different ones)
· Homer Simpson, Bart Simpson, Lisa Simpson, Marge Simpson
· Krusty the Clown, Sideshow Bob
· Spiderman, Captain America, Cyclops, Wolverine, Green Goblin, Storm, Rogue
· Hogwarts Express Conductor, Knight Bus Conductor

We also saw the Hop characters and the Dora the Explorer characters out for meet and greets at various times, but took a pass on those.

Characters that we are determined to seek out on our next vacation: the dog from Men in Black, and the balance of the Despicable Me characters (Gru, Edith, Agnes, Margo and Vector).

- We crossed a ton of our must-try snacks and drinks off the list including:

o The Big Pink Donut, the Brain Freezin’ D’oh!-nut Sundae, Flaming Moe and Clogger Burger in Springfield

o Butterbeer ice cream, Otters Fizzy Orange Juice, Toad in the Hole, and cauldron cake from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (and dining at both Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron)

o A brookie

o Cheesecake and a Napoleon bar from the bakery

Still left on the must-try list for October is: Fishy Green Ale and Hot Butterbeer (the only form of Butterbeer that we haven’t yet tried). A character meal is a maybe....we are still weighing the value of that (the potential to meeting Gru is rather appealing) versus the cost.

- We were glad we tried all sorts of new things/places this trip, even if a couple of them were a bust (ahem! The Knife and Red Robin, I’m talkin’ to you! ::yes:: ). Even if something didn’t live up to our pre-trip expectations, it was rarely ever all bad....and it was nice to broaden our horizons (even if it was something we won’t do again). We had way more “winners” than “losers” when it came to new experiences.

- We were blown away with the quality of Universal’s rides, attractions and theming, and the friendliness of the TM’s. Even as someone who doesn’t like thrill rides, there was so much for me to enjoy at the Universal parks. Cleanliness was top-notch, customer service was superior, and we felt valued and appreciated by everyone from the retail store clerks to the attendants at the front gates.

The adventure begins again in 124 days. :teeth:

Thanks to all for reading along!

Universal's annual passes are a really good value, especially compared to WDW's IMO. We easily make back the cost of the passes just on the room discounts alone And then renewal rates are even sweeter and hard to pass up.

That's great that you had a good time even though some of the rides weren't your thing. I do think the Universal parks need a few more mild rides. Just one or two more in each park that are more on the level of Cat in the Hat or ET would be super.

So how many days total did you visit the parks? It seems like you guys never ran out of stuff to do. I'm super impressed with your list of characters!

The photo book is lovely Gina...........I really liked that, it is cute and a lovely memento too.

No worries...I can read other replies, I just couldn't quote them (silly computer!). This one is working fine, though!

Ugh, your poor hubby....I bet he was disappointed when he wouldn't fit on FJ. Its hard to miss out on rides that are such headliners for the average-bodied public. I guess its tough to build a ride vehicle that fits all sorts of human sizes!

We tried twice to get him on. My son even asked if he could buckle I'm in, but they said no. They dd modify the seat for abd girth, but I bet they didn't think about men with wide shoulders!! I didn't go on the first time we tried to get him on, but the second time I dd go on ( With my sweet husbands urging). But I didn't enjoy it because I felt bad for my DH. :guilty:

Great report, Gina! You're making me want to get back to Universal soon. (Unfortunately we've now reached the time of year when I become a hermit from the theme parks--once Star Wars Weekends is over, of course, lol.)

Just a word of warning for your October trip: I-4 has begun a massive construction project (Google I-4 Ultimate Project) and the area around the Kirkman and Universal exits have already gotten nasty. Come October, you might want to use an alternate route to the parks (via Universal Boulevard). If you do a PTR for that trip I'll definitely pop on over and keep you updated. :)

Excellent trip report, I love your writing style! I can't wait to read your fall trip report. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
I empathize with your girls.....Gina has never been the easiest name to find on personalized items either. When I was a little girl, finding Gina was darn near impossible (and actually, I'm officially a "Georgina" ... which you will never find printed on a toothbrush, I guarantee it!). Imagine my surprise when I found a lovely necklace with a heart shaped pendant personalized with "Gina" and a tiny dolphin at one of the shops in Port of Entry at IOA. Needless to say, that was one of my souvenirs of this trip. I couldn't pass it up!

P .

My DD is named Gina, so I definitely sympathize.

Believe it or not, Sarah was actually hard to find when I was young (my mom was apparently a few years ahead of the curve).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter