• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lessons Learned - What will you do differently when planning your next trip to WDW

Hi, found the listing on VRBO/HomeAway. It was actually the 4th one I tried to book. Kept getting rejected because they all told me they adjust prices, and they aren't booking yet for 2017. I tried one more time, and not only did he let me book that far out but he gave me 2015 pricing.

The other ones I tried said to wait until January 1st if that helps you any. I would think you could book then for WBC in 2017.

Hi, found the listing on VRBO/HomeAway. It was actually the 4th one I tried to book. Kept getting rejected because they all told me they adjust prices, and they aren't booking yet for 2017. I tried one more time, and not only did he let me book that far out but he gave me 2015 pricing.

The other ones I tried said to wait until January 1st if that helps you any. I would think you could book then for WBC in 2017.
Thanks! I will take a look!

I'd be cautious about accepting that 2015 pricing.

We usually book through Disney directly and when booking that far out they base everything off of the current pricing (such as deposit amounts required) but the pricing WILL change when they get that seasons current pricing rates. I hope you do get to keep your 2015 pricing for your 2017 trip, I just don't want you to be totally surprised if you don't.

I was cautious too, but he sent me the contract, and I paid in full. I have the receipt as well.

Thanks! It's my first VRBO dealing, so the whole thing is new to me.

The rope drop aspect I think is what drove my non-Disney husband most crazy.

I realize I may get varying answers on this, but if we aren't a thrill ride family, do you think RD is still a must? For all parks?

Going Easter week again...
Maybe you can mix in some rope-drop days with some sleep-in days. Rope drop is still a huge advantage if you can do it, since lots of folks would never dream of getting up early on vacation (hence, low crowds and very short lines the first couple of hours). But mix in some sleep-in days, too.

And don't do a rope drop the morning after you stay really late at a park!

Last edited:

Maybe you can mix in some rope-drop days with some sleep-in days. Rope drop is still a huge advantage if you can do it, since lots of folks would never dream of getting up early on vacation (hence, low crowds and very short lines the first couple of hours). But mix in some sleep-in days, too.

And don't do a rope drop the morning after you stay really late at a park!
For me, it's not only an "Advantage" it's also a nice show too. (At least at Epcot and MK, I never have made AK or HS RD)

Next trip I have to make sure to space out meal times and schedule times according to how I normally eat at home.

Example: Waking up a little late because of MVMCP the night before and eating breakfast at 9 am. I had booked a TS for 12pm and we were still a bit full. Luckily we were able to change to a later time. I normally eat lunch around 1pm. I'm honestly not sure why I think i would be hungry sooner at Disney. haha

Our "never again" is ddp. Just too much food in the summer, and too much hassle getting everyone to agree on a place that far in advance to get reserved and then waiting for everyone to show up to get seated...maybe it should be never go with extended family again!

Our "never again" is ddp. Just too much food in the summer, and too much hassle getting everyone to agree on a place that far in advance to get reserved and then waiting for everyone to show up to get seated...maybe it should be never go with extended family again!

Yea, we have no problem with just me and DH, or with our grown children. But I will never do DDP with extended family, or even individual ADRs for that matter. Good example, my mother is one of those people who says "just pick something, we like everything." So I do, and then I hear comments during and/or after our trip. So yea, I've had it with that.

I see DDP as a "treat" to do once in a while. It gives us a chance to go to a lot of different restaurants, resorts, etc. we wouldn't normally go to without DDP.

We will never again (well, unless someday, after the kids are grown and busy) stay in a hotel--- condos or townhouses for us! 7 nights in a townhouse, with a private splash pool for $635 in Windsor Hills.... 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a kitchen, LOTS of room.... Doesn't even compare for us! We love the space.

I'm glad we've done the DDP, we loved that trip, ate very well, tried the signature restaurants we wanted.... But we probably won't do it again. One and done. Now, we eat when we're hungry, don't spend a lengthy amount of time at a sit down meal, and save hundreds of dollars. If we are wanting to treat ourselves to a nice sit down meal, I want to dress up for it, pay a fraction for it, and not feel rushed to get out to the parks .... We'll find a nice place in town, off site.

And for those with younger kiddos, who are on a budget.... Might I suggest visiting WalMart for Disney merchandise souvenirs? T-shirts at a fraction of the cost, plush animals at a fraction, purses, etc all way cheaper than in the parks. We've done both when our kids were little... Buy in the parks and buy at WM, one time the exact same purse my then 7 year old daughter wanted was at WM for $6.95 vs $15.99 at Disney, and my son had wanted a plush Goofy.... At WM we got him the same one for $5, at the parks they were at least double that. Just a little tip!

We will never again (well, unless someday, after the kids are grown and busy) stay in a hotel--- condos or townhouses for us! 7 nights in a townhouse, with a private splash pool for $635 in Windsor Hills.... 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a kitchen, LOTS of room.... Doesn't even compare for us! We love the space.

Just shows how different we are all here, other than our love for WDW, of course. My DH bugged me for years to try this, and I really didn't care for it at all. Yes, we had a ton of room to ourselves in a marvelous home. It just didn't feel enough like vacation to me, and certainly not a Disney vacation. I love checking into a resort, being surrounded by others, etc.

Personal preference, that's all. We have friends that stay at Windsor or other homes, it's the only way they would ever do WDW.

My husband and I didn't do ddp this year, for the first time. Husband was apprehensive about it, but I am so glad we did it. We paid OOP, made a few must do reservations, and really enjoyed the freedom of eating when and where we wanted. I was surprised at the quality of the qs food and we tried a variety of qs places - fun! Now OOP is the only way we will go! I can understand families needing the ddp. My daughter, soninlaw, 2 teens, 1 preteen used all their ddp credits 2 years ago plus we used ours on them. The teen boys still ate twice what the meals offered. Whew, I forgot how much a teenage boy can eat!
We always get ph's. We do rope drop (early risers) and go til noonish. Then back to resort for a rest. Then to another park in the evening. We never pick the 2nd park til that day. It's more spontaneous, and without fp's for the pm, we just wait in line. Works for us, but we are older and go at a slower pace.
We always stay at a Disney resort with a package. But I've been wondering about renting via DVC owners. Looks like a money saver to me! Great thread thanks!

Just shows how different we are all here, other than our love for WDW, of course. My DH bugged me for years to try this, and I really didn't care for it at all. Yes, we had a ton of room to ourselves in a marvelous home. It just didn't feel enough like vacation to me, and certainly not a Disney vacation. I love checking into a resort, being surrounded by others, etc.

Personal preference, that's all. We have friends that stay at Windsor or other homes, it's the only way they would ever do WDW.

This is true. And it also changes. We've got four kids, oldest will be 9, youngest 11mo, on our next trip. We've done offsite twice and we love the fact that the youngest (who's always been ~1yo) can have their own room and take naps and rest - apart from the others. When the kids are older (and sleep is overrated and naptime is out the window), I can see us staying onsite for a change of pace. Having said that, I'd still say that if you talking strictly budget, that offsite will beat onsite and offer better amenities to boot.

Oh, no question offsite beats onsite talking strictly budget. Especially with a family of 6. In fact, if our family was that size we probably would stay offsite more often.

My biggest "never again" from last trip, is if you have a Memory Maker, don't walk past a photo op thinking I will get it on the way back. Can't tell you the amount of times we were running from rain or had tired children or photographer was gone. If you think it's going to be a great picture to have, take it right away and if the photographer is still there when you come back, get another one.

I am trying to do LESS planning . We are a group of 3 so, we don't need much planning as far as Dining and such.
We are also staying off property for the first time in decades.... Ill see how this goes...We had a free timeshare .
I am also only doing 2 parks - 3x each and one rest day. ONLY MK and Epcot. I don't like hopping so this will work for us.

I am trying to do LESS planning . We are a group of 3 so, we don't need much planning as far as Dining and such.
For us (and mostly my DW) the planning is part of the fun and excitement. Even if you are not "Planning" the ADRs or FP+ you can (and probably should) still have a "Plan" for the parks you are going to. I guess if your group of 3 is all adults (or at least Older children) then you can just go and do "Whatever". We just haven't gotten to that point yet. There are 5 of us. Myself, DW, DD10 PLUS DD18 and her BF21 so we need a "Plan" to keep control of things. Go with what works for you though and above all else, have an awesome time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter