• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lessons Learned - What will you do differently when planning your next trip to WDW

I don't think I will pay for Disney Dining again. I've done the math for our past two visits and it just is not worth it for the way we eat. For our next trip, I have figured we can save about $500 not purchasing the Dining Plan.
We did the DDP one year, and it was nice to not have to worry about buying our meals and also made ADRs much easier, but we still left with a couple of QS's left over which we thought we could convert to snacks. While it seems that it is possible, the locations at where you can do it are limited and it was more of a headache then it was worth. You will DEFINITELY get enough food to eat with the DDP, but like others have said, I don't always want a desert with my meal (or similar). With our ADRs I would order things that I might not otherwise (after all STEAK at mama melrose is pretty good) because of price (or other reasons). I think the value of DDP (or any of the Dining Plans) is not having to carry the cash/credit cards around for meals, and knowing that if you do spend all your money elsewhere, that you still have a meal. Dollar for dollar though, I think most folks will save money by NOT doing the DDP, the value is more likely in the convenience that it "Could" provide (your mileage may vary). We tried to "Maximize" the plan and probably still didn't save money.

I won't do CRT again unless I have another baby that happens to be a girl obsessed with eating in the castle. lol then I might be persuaded if its truly her hearts desire but even that's iffy we had such a poor experience. The food portions are small, not terrific quality, menu is limited, the princesses are almost identical to Akershus and the photo package is no longer included. It was a total bust for us all the way around and cost a fortune. Character interaction was rushed and service was terrible.
We did the CRT in November 2014 (when we had the DDP above) and I have to say, for 2 Table Services (per person) I really did expect more. The portions were small and while it was all you could eat, you had to wait for them to bring back more food. The Princesses were typical but if you weren't there and ready for them the moment they were ready for you, they would move on quickly. Even if you were ready for them, you could tell they were being rushed to get to everyone. I understand that they have a lot of folks to get to, but we paid for our service too.

I just finished my trip at Disney, and one of the things I'm definitely not doing next year is driving 14 hours from Pennsylvania.
Did you do this straight?

We drive from NE Pennsylvania and it's about 15 - 16 hour drive (if we go straight through) but we are also towing the 27' camper. We typically leave the evening after work, get below DC traffic (hitting DC traffic late in the day so it's not too bad), then pull over in a truck stop (remember we have a camper with us, you could do a "Hotel") for the night. Get up next AM, grab a hearty breakfast and continue the next day. Typically getting about an hour out of WDW (Fort Wilderness), spending another night in a truck stop/rest area, Then roll in the next AM.

I understand you don't like the drive. We have Laptops, tablets, iPods etc.. to keep the kids (DD10, DD18 and her BF21) occupied. Sadly, I am the only one willing to drive the Truck with the Camper. DW would if she had no other choice. I am hoping that the next time we go if the BF21 comes with us he can step up and do some driving. We will have to get him out for some practice though. But the cost savings and the fact that the DW abhors flying, this is our best option.

Next time I would not assume that the check in time of 3:00 is actually when my room will be ready. We checked in at the Yacht Club and left our bags. we were told to go enjoy the pool. We enjoyed the pool but then wanted to shower and get to the parks. Well our room wasn't ready until a little after 4:00. It was a little frustrating but at least they gave us an extra fastpass.

The thing I learned from my last trip is... don't go in large groups. lol If you like doing that, more power to you. However, my family was not a fan of it. Too many people all wanting to do different things, leave the hotel at different times, eat at different places, etc. We're going alone this time and can't wait!

The thing I learned from my last trip is... don't go in large groups. lol If you like doing that, more power to you. However, my family was not a fan of it. Too many people all wanting to do different things, leave the hotel at different times, eat at different places, etc. We're going alone this time and can't wait!
I think going in a large group is not the issue, it's trying to STAY as a group for the entire trip. I think what's better with that approach is to schedule some "Group" time together, but still be able to go separate ways. Maybe a meal each day or even an event to do together such as the Festival of the Lion King. That way you have the best of both worlds. :)

We will not go back to BOG. It was nice but overpriced. Food was good but nothing to die for, and definitely overpriced. Also, no more dinner reservations during party time (MNSSHP). And I'll try to book a longer stay so that we can enjoy both the resorts and the parks.

I'll spend some time exploring other resorts, including eating in their restaurants and browsing their shops.

I can't wait to go visit WL, CR and GF on our Aug trip!

We have only been once, but....

We won't be getting park hoppers again. We got them to get the free dining and we ended up wasting over an hour going from one park to another and we were just miserable in the transfer.

We won't overplan! Okay. *I* won't overplan! I get a bit OCD with the planning and while it did help massively for our first trip, I feel like we would rather vacation with only a loose plan for the day with lots of room for changing things around.

We won't get blisters! Okay....this is hopeful. I had a blister the size of a half dollar from flip flops (yeah just because they work in Hershey park doesn't mean they'll work at WDW!) and spent 8 days walking around on that.

We won't be getting park hoppers again. We got them to get the free dining and we ended up wasting over an hour going from one park to another and we were just miserable in the transfer.
I have never gotten the Park Hopper and I have never regretted it. I just feel there is too much in each park that it's not necessary to "Hop" from park to park. The only real exception I see to this is if there are "Shows" going on. Such as you want to spend the day in MK but you want to see the Fireworks at Epcot. As you point out you loose about an hour of an already busy day just in travel (depending on how you travel). Granted it could be more or even less, but for us, it's just not worth it. When we were considering a trip with the Free Dining plan, we were going to opt for the Water Park instead of the hopper.

We won't overplan! Okay. *I* won't overplan! I get a bit OCD with the planning and while it did help massively for our first trip, I feel like we would rather vacation with only a loose plan for the day with lots of room for changing things around.
Overplan all you want, just remember to keep it "Flexible" Don't make your plan so firm that you cannot enjoy yourself. If there is stuff that you ABSOLUTELY must get to, make sure you plan enough time around it to make sure you get your "Must Haves".

For my DW (and me to a lesser extent) planning is part of the fun and excitement. She will have a spreadsheet color coded for each day listing major events at the parks, all ADRs (not just ADRs but what our meal plan is for the day, such as an ADR or eating in our camper as we stay at Fort Wilderness), FP+s, special shows, events, parades, etc... as well as key times for various events. Plus it's color coded too. Most things are flexible though. ADRs are less flexible as you need to cancel them within 24 hours. Also special events with separate costs (such as MVMCP which we have done several times) are less flexible, but I don't think there is a single FP+ that is so important that if we missed it we would be okay.

We won't get blisters! Okay....this is hopeful. I had a blister the size of a half dollar from flip flops (yeah just because they work in Hershey park doesn't mean they'll work at WDW!) and spent 8 days walking around on that.
Let me just say... MOLE SKIN (http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Mo...ef=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450452237&sr=1-2)

Obviously not getting blisters in the first place is ideal, but if you get a "Hot Spot" this stuff is wonderful. Even if you get a full on blister, it's great. You cut it to size and put the Sticky side against your skin (on the blister or hot spot) and then dress like normal. The fuzzy side helps, whatever was rubbing to give you the blister in the first place, to glide over and reduce the problem. Don't spend a day in the park without some.

That's how we feel about onsite/offsite. We stay offsite and pay half of what a value would cost. We get a ton of space to relax in style. Love it!

We just booked Bonnet Creek for our 2nd time to Disney. We got an amazing deal for 2017. Hard to pass up all that space for the price.

I'm on the fence about getting hopper for this trip. For our first trip, we only had one day at MK and one at Epcot. I didn't realize it takes that long to transfer. Hmm...

I'm on the fence about getting hopper for this trip. For our first trip, we only had one day at MK and one at Epcot. I didn't realize it takes that long to transfer. Hmm...

Well, MK to Epcot is just a quick monorail ride, it would take much less than an hour. For hopping between other parks, if you have a car or use a cab, it wouldn't be too bad. If you're relying on Disney transit then yes, you could waste a lot of time.

Well, MK to Epcot is just a quick monorail ride, it would take much less than an hour. For hopping between other parks, if you have a car or use a cab, it wouldn't be too bad. If you're relying on Disney transit then yes, you could waste a lot of time.
Granted that it's a quick monorail ride, but then there is the "Walk" out of the park you are leaving and the "Walk" into the next park. (and the bag/ticket check) and depending on what you are looking for (attractions?) you still spend a lot of time going by things that you may not want. (stores?)

Again, for US the hopper really isn't worth it. We might use it once, maybe twice during our stay (if we had purchased it) but you cannot buy a 2 day hopper, you have to buy it for EVERY day which makes the cost more expensive overall. Since we spend (typically) 6 or 7 days at the Parks, the added cost just doesn't work. Of course your mileage may vary.

Good point, and I'm wondering if that might be too much for my 5 year old son. Plus at this point, I don't even know how to get from one park to the next!

After many trips, for us, it was a better plan to have an ADR for lunch at MK. Then find a CS for dinner. EPCOT and HS has been easier for CS. For AK, we have alternated between CS and RFC. We have never had a problem getting in RFC, even if we had a short wait, at least it was in air conditioning.

- Will not plan a day at HS. We'll get FP+ for ToT and RnR at night, then Fantasmic. That's it for HS. (Until new areas are open, that is.)

-Should know by now, but no more obsessing about which resort/room we get. No matter what, we end up sleeping there, and that's about it.

-No rope drop ever again. We have accepted the fact we don't want to get up early. Much rather use late EMH.

-Never go without park hopper ever again. AK closes early, se want to go to another park at night. As mentioned earlier, we don't need much time at HS, so need to hop that day. Plus, we like the flexibility of jumping back and forth between MK and Epcot when we want.

I have to accept the fact the rest of my family are not morning people, so no more early breakfast adr's but later in the morning seems to be working much better for us. Plan break days and stick to it. Leave husband at the room when he's being whiny about going to the park ;)

edited to add, no more park visits on arrival day. We never arrive early enough to make it worth it and everyone is crabby from the traveling. Only doing dinner adr's on arrival day if it's at the same resort as we are staying at.

The rope drop aspect I think is what drove my non-Disney husband most crazy.

I realize I may get varying answers on this, but if we aren't a thrill ride family, do you think RD is still a must? For all parks?

Going Easter week again...

I realize I may get varying answers on this, but if we aren't a thrill ride family, do you think RD is still a must? For all parks?

Absolutely not. In fact, I even made a comment above "never again" regarding RP. And we go on all the rides! It's all a matter of opinion, of course. We are able to cover all the "big rides" we're interested in at AK,Epcot, and HS with FP+. MK, we always spend two days, so cover everything relatively easily- and almost always get on rides we love twice or more. Late EMH hours are huge for us too, and we love being at MK at night way more than in the morning.

Is it a MUST? No! It doesn't matter if you are a "Thrill Ride" or not. Some people try to get to RD so they can get to certain activities right away (perhaps saving the FP+ for some other activity later in the day), but it's not just the 7DMT or Space Mountain, but it's also going to Anna and Else or the other princesses (or even other characters). Surprisingly, the Peter Pan ride gets a long line quickly. I wouldn't call that a Thrill Ride by any stretch of the imagination.

All that being said, there is more to RD then just getting to an attraction early. The RD typically also have a "Show" that's nice to see. We have done MK and Epcot for RD. Still haven't done AK or HS for RD but maybe someday. I do think it's not a bad Idea to experience it ONCE. Maybe not once every trip (depending on how often you expect to go to Disney).

Of course all this is just my opinion, you know you and your family, so your mileage may vary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter