Kickin Cancer's Butt Trip report in progress

The day had finally come. We left the morning before our flight as I had a little surprise for the kids. We were flying out of Flint Michigan, a small airport with direct southwest flights. Guess what Flint is close to? Frankenmuth, Mi, little Bavaria., a bit of Germany in Michigan! As we crossed the U.S. Border in Sarnia/Port Huron, the kids still had no idea where we were going. They kept guessing Greenfield Village or the Detroit Zoo. They did spy the huge Ackerman Barrel sign when we crossed and soon we were off to a Lunch break for a huge carb overload.

Back on the road, they finally figured it out when they saw the huge Frankenmuth signs. We stopped first at the outlet mall to wear off our lunch. Got a bunch of bargains at Izod, Nautical to name a few.

We made ourself to the village and made reservations for the famous chicken dinner at The Bavarian restaurant. We looked around at our favourite shops and bought some cheese to eat on the plane. I got some stollen bread to eat later

Our meal was great and then off to Flint to rest before our early start the next morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 15
Welcome back!! I am glad you returned to do a full report of your trip :).

Mmmmm......your vacation kick-off meal looked super delish!!! Every great holiday should begin with that kind of a feast :teeth: .

Looking forward to more!

joining! :flower1:

sorry to be late. sounds like you really deserve a trip to a happy place! i'm inspired by your upbeat attitude and strength. i'm going to be reading with interest since i'll be going that way in december and will be celebrating remission as well, but not for cancer--for graves disease. looking forward to reading more!

Day 1 in Orlando

Our flight landed right on time! Picked up the rental car. This year I used my points on my RBC Visa card so no Emeral Aisle. My kids were happy to find out they could still pick the car. We ended up with a Toyota which was just fine.

Today we did the Showcase of Citrus swamp tour. It poured and poured as we drive out to the Orange orchard but miraculously as we got closer the rain slowed down and then it stopped. perfect! We just made the noon ride. We really enjoyed this. The kids thought it was fun and enjoyed feeding the water buffalo
I tried to throw an orange out and hit the ceiling on the ruck instead. Everyone laughed a That! The driver was nice enough to give everyone in the truck rain ponchos and sure enough it started to rain as we got back. We spent some time in the store but didn't explore the outside due to the downpour. We each got an orange freeze drink which was so good. Picked up some jelly to use later in the week.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Now it was off to lunch at our very favourite lunch......sweet tomatoes... Ahh the heavens open up and the bountiful lunch is before us..if you haven't figured out we love this place! I has aback to school coupon that gave my son lunch at 3.99 and my daughter at 4.99. I was going to pay regular price. I heard my daughter say " oh she is regular mom age" to the cashier. There was a coupon for university students on the sheet ( upto 26 year olds) the cashier told me she thought I was 25. Ok haven't heard that for like 20 years. Thanks Sweet Tomato cashier, you made my day!

Last edited:
Day 1 in Orlando

Our flight landed right on time! Picked up the rental car. This year I used my points on my RBC Visa card so no Emeral Aisle. My kids were happy to find out they could still pick the car. We ended up with a Toyota which was just fine.

Today we did the Showcase of Citrus swamp tour. It poured and poured as we drive out to the Orange orchard but miraculously as we got closer the rain slowed down and then it stopped. perfect! We just made the noon ride. We really enjoyed this. The kids thought it was fun and enjoyed feeding the water buffalo
I tried to throw an orange out and hit the ceiling on the ruck instead. Everyone laughed a That! The driver was nice enough to give everyone in the truck rain ponchos and sure enough it started to rain as we got back. We spent some time in the store but didn't explore the outside due to the downpour. We each got an orange freeze drink which was so good. Picked up some jelly to use later in the week.

Now it was off to lunch at our very favourite lunch......sweet tomatoes... Ahh the heavens open up and the bountiful lunch is before us..if you haven't figured out we love this place! I has aback to school coupon that gave my son lunch at 3.99 and my daughter at 4.99. I was going to pay regular price. I heard my daughter say " oh she is regular mom age" to the cashier. There was a coupon for university students on the sheet ( upto 26 year olds) the cashier told me she thought I was 25. Ok haven't heard that for like 20 years. Thanks Sweet Tomato cashier, you made my day!

Showcase of Citrus and Sweet Tomatoes......what a great start! :thumbsup2

I hope, now that you're home, you are continuing to feel better and better :hug: . I have been thinking of you! So good to see you coming back to add to your TR.

day 1 continued.

After lunch we made our way to Universal Portofino Bay. Our first time staying here. Last time we were at Universal we stayed at Royal Pacific. We are staying club level again. Our room was a bit of a hike but we were on the top floor and it was convenient to the pool. We had a view of the pool....very nice!

After getting moved in we headed off to Universal Studios. The park wasn't too bad and of course with the front of the line access we zipped on all of the rides. Our priority was the new Kings Crossing section, but before that we needed a little food. So what did we get something so healthy a big pink duh nut. It was so good like a crispy cream donut.
Now off to Kings crossing.

What an amazing area. Gringotts didn't have to much of a line, we basically walked through and were soon on our adventure. I really liked this ride....lots of fun

After visiting the magical world off we went for some more rides. We were going to stay for the fireworks but we're getting tired. That 6:40 am flight was kicking in. If you see a bad bruise on my pictures, I has to get an IV of fluids before I left as I was getting dehydrated. It looks worse the it was
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh my goodness that is a bruise!!!

Your kids are lovely...........really sounds like a great trip......and glad you enjoy Gringotts......fun ride!

I am so excited to hear about your trip!! It sounds like it has gotten off to a GREAT start!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter