• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this realistic?

No problem on not quoting. It's not a requirement. :) I quote because it is easier to remember everything I need to respond to and even then I forget some stuff.

They are going to let me use a FitBit HR at work for like a month just so I can see if I like it. I guess they think if I like it I will sell more. If it works out well I will buy it, as I get a nice discount. I am just waiting for a large one to come in as all we have are small in stock. I'll be interested to see how you like yours.

My bike seat was huge too. I am sure it looked ridiculous but I'd rather look stupid and be comfortable than look cool and suffer from a seat stuck in my butt. :scared: Sorry to be so blunt. :)

No gym for me today but provided I am feeling good still tomorrow I will be back at it. It was warm today so if it is in the morning still I will be running outside before work. I actually excited. Who every would have thought that.

I am struggling with the choice of races. There are so many I want to run and I can't figure out which ones to do that I can fit into the schedule and have enough time in between races, etc... For example, the Newport, RI marathon is the week before my Baystate Marathon. I would love to do both as Newport is beautiful and it is on the ocean. Running next to the ocean makes it less painful in my opinion. Chiomaca, could I be ready for Baystate with just a week recovery? I know you will probably say no but thought I'd get your opinion.

I wouldn't push myself too hard in that one. And, I am going to put in the training. I have decided if it is necessary I will pull an Eddie McCoy and get up at 3am to run if needed. I need to give this everything I have, even if it means not doing the CFA this year.

And I realize I am crazy for considering so many marathons this year but I don't care. I would like to do 2 full this fall, or 3 if I could space them out properly.

That's it for me for tonight. Have a good night everyone.

Glad you had a good run. You may be sore tomorrow but it will be worth it. I'm sure when I get to run again I will be sore too. Just out of curiosity, what is your normal pace? I can't remember if you have ever said or not?

Your story about running in the snow and ice got me to thinking. I was already thinking of running outside this week. Then I read your post and thought for sure I might have to. Then I just looked at the forecast and it is showing 40's. It will mean running on wet roads from the melting. But, it might be just what I need to break out of this grouchy mood I am in. And the 40's will feel like summer around here.

You are correct, I need to work on many things. If I am able to qualify for Boston I know I will be happy and satisfied. I also know I will try to do better the next year. But I will keep working on my many issues. It will take time to undo 40 years of thinking and living a certain way. I will get there though.

More and more negative thoughts are creeping back into my mind. I know the winter, and not being able to workout consistently, being up on the roof trying to battle all these leaks, etc... is a HUGE part of it.

I'm still a little stuffy but feeling better. If the wife doesn't go out tomorrow night I will be at the gym. If she does I start back on my routine Monday.

Sorry to be such a downer. Hope everyone has a good night.
Thankfully I wasn't sore from my run. The trampoline class I did on Sunday is a different story and I'm feeling it in my neck and lower back. It was good to be back in the aerial world and I'll keep doing those for the next month. Had my monthly PT appointment today and the good news is that I have graduated from wall push-ups to incline on a bench or my knees. The bad news is that my shoulder is sore enough from the trampoline class, which doesn't involve any weight bearing on my arms (power and force, but not body weight), that I'm going to sit out another month from overhead work. And when I talked to her about swimming, she wasn't all that happy. No crawl or backstroke, breast stroke is okay. So, no triathlon training, either.

My shoes are pretty much wet after every run these days, though hopefully not for much longer. Stuffing them with newspaper after the run and rotating every couple of hours drys them out pretty quickly. I'm looking forward to a comfortable outdoor run or three this week! My pace depends on what I'm doing. If it's a run/walk then I average about 10:15/mile, closer to 9/mile if I'm just running (7 miles is about my limit for that). Intervals I run 800m in the 7:30-8/mile range.

Think positive! I had a friend/mentor once point out to me that I was very negative and after giving it some though, I tried hard to play the "glad game" whenever I was about to say something negative. It's very "Pollyanna" (which is where the glad game comes from), but I let myself say the negative thing, then look for something positive. Over the years, it's been less work to find something good. My core group of girlfriends did an exercise for the month of Feb - 28 days of happy. Each day we looked for at least one thing during the day that made us happy and shared it with the group. Cute kid tricks, recognition at work, snow days, good food - whatever. It was nice to have a whole set of e-mails from around the country (from HI to DC) about happy thoughts.

Chiomaca~11 miles is great! I envy your pace! Your lucky to have found a running group. I've looked and haven't found a beginning group yet.
Darci, I run with a training group through one of my local stores. It's an all level group, so we have everything from speed demons to beginner walk/runners. The support is great at all levels, no judgment, just encouragement. Check out your running store and see what kind of groups they have. Meet up is also a good place to find running groups that have slower paced runs, but I like going through the stores. Or do a search on (your location) road runners. Don't talk yourself out of joining because it's not a beginner group until you've checked them out and seen the culture for yourself.

They are going to let me use a FitBit HR at work for like a month just so I can see if I like it. I guess they think if I like it I will sell more. If it works out well I will buy it, as I get a nice discount. I am just waiting for a large one to come in as all we have are small in stock. I'll be interested to see how you like yours.
I had an amiigo that I got through an Indiegogo project and I'm not happy with it - aside from the usual start-up bugs, it doesn't give me real-time feedback which doesn't help me make changes while I'm working out and I'm stuck trying to remember what I was doing at any given point. If the Fitbits do more real-time feedback, I might be interested. I don't much care about step-counting, and I can't wear a tracker at work, so I will wait until I find the thing that works better than what I've got for running.

I am struggling with the choice of races. There are so many I want to run and I can't figure out which ones to do that I can fit into the schedule and have enough time in between races, etc... For example, the Newport, RI marathon is the week before my Baystate Marathon. I would love to do both as Newport is beautiful and it is on the ocean. Running next to the ocean makes it less painful in my opinion. Chiomaca, could I be ready for Baystate with just a week recovery? I know you will probably say no but thought I'd get your opinion.

I wouldn't push myself too hard in that one. And, I am going to put in the training. I have decided if it is necessary I will pull an Eddie McCoy and get up at 3am to run if needed. I need to give this everything I have, even if it means not doing the CFA this year.
I love Newport, too, have spent a lot of time there. As far as being ready for both Newport and Baystate, the answer is that it depends on your training, and those 16-20 mile runs take a lot of the day, even if you're fast. If you get to the point where you can recover from a long run quickly, then you'd probably do well or even better in the second run. I say that based on conversations I've had with people who have run back-to-back marathons in multiple weeks. I think I would have preferred a couple of weeks after my second Marine Corps, but could have done it. I couldn't have done it after my first.

It sort of disturbs me that you're thinking of blowing off your CFA in favor of extra marathon training though. If they're close together, then training for one is training for the others, so I don't think that's an issue, but CFA is a big deal to you and would have much more significant positive impact on your future than an extra race medal. I like doing one winter/spring and one fall marathon myself - that way I have motivation for year-round training no matter how crappy the weather is.

And when I talked to her about swimming, she wasn't all that happy. No crawl or backstroke, breast stroke is okay. So, no triathlon training, either.

My shoes are pretty much wet after every run these days, though hopefully not for much longer. Stuffing them with newspaper after the run and rotating every couple of hours drys them out pretty quickly. I'm looking forward to a comfortable outdoor run or three this week! My pace depends on what I'm doing. If it's a run/walk then I average about 10:15/mile, closer to 9/mile if I'm just running (7 miles is about my limit for that). Intervals I run 800m in the 7:30-8/mile range.

Think positive! I had a friend/mentor once point out to me that I was very negative and after giving it some though, I tried hard to play the "glad game" whenever I was about to say something negative. It's very "Pollyanna" (which is where the glad game comes from), but I let myself say the negative thing, then look for something positive. Over the years, it's been less work to find something good. My core group of girlfriends did an exercise for the month of Feb - 28 days of happy. Each day we looked for at least one thing during the day that made us happy and shared it with the group. Cute kid tricks, recognition at work, snow days, good food - whatever. It was nice to have a whole set of e-mails from around the country (from HI to DC) about happy thoughts.

I had an amiigo that I got through an Indiegogo project and I'm not happy with it - aside from the usual start-up bugs, it doesn't give me real-time feedback which doesn't help me make changes while I'm working out and I'm stuck trying to remember what I was doing at any given point. If the Fitbits do more real-time feedback, I might be interested. I don't much care about step-counting, and I can't wear a tracker at work, so I will wait until I find the thing that works better than what I've got for running.

I love Newport, too, have spent a lot of time there. As far as being ready for both Newport and Baystate, the answer is that it depends on your training, and those 16-20 mile runs take a lot of the day, even if you're fast. If you get to the point where you can recover from a long run quickly, then you'd probably do well or even better in the second run. I say that based on conversations I've had with people who have run back-to-back marathons in multiple weeks. I think I would have preferred a couple of weeks after my second Marine Corps, but could have done it. I couldn't have done it after my first.

It sort of disturbs me that you're thinking of blowing off your CFA in favor of extra marathon training though. If they're close together, then training for one is training for the others, so I don't think that's an issue, but CFA is a big deal to you and would have much more significant positive impact on your future than an extra race medal. I like doing one winter/spring and one fall marathon myself - that way I have motivation for year-round training no matter how crappy the weather is.

I remember the shoulder pain all to well. Just take your time and recover the right way to hopefully hold off surgery as long as possible.

Why can't you wear a tracker at work? What are you looking for as far as real time info? The FitBit Charge HR does the heart rate real time but I believe everything else goes to the phone to see later, well except for steps but I don't care about those either.

I am not skipping the CFA because of the marathon training. If I decide to skip the CFA is it because it isn't right for my career. I have been reading more about it and it seems people my age that get it aren't having any better luck getting a good job without experience to go along with it. So I am questioning if it is really worth all the time and effort, and expense. My career is my biggest worry. At my age I should be in a much better position than I am and I feel stuck because I am good at sales but I don't really enjoy it anymore. I can't seem to get into another field without experience but how do you get experience without the job.

As for the races. I know I will need to put in the training to do it but I need to put it in to even have a chance to qualify. I just figure it I give myself a couple chances to qualify the better off I am. I haven't decided yet but I may do Newport as a 1/2 and then Baystate the next week. We'll see. I appreciate the feedback though.

I am only negative toward myself really. I am pretty positive toward other people. I must have been pretty positive for 2 coworkers to commit to running Wine and Dine. But, I am nowhere near as bad as I used to be.

I went to the gym after work last night. I was exhausted and feeling crappy but I went. I struggled through 25 minutes on the treadmill. My chest was burning. I decided to live to fight another day and cut my losses.

Today I RAN OUTSIDE!!!! OMG it felt so good and so much better than the treadmill. It was in the 40's, which felt like summertime around here. I could feel the stress leave my body as I was running. I only did 3.5 miles because of time limitations but it was awesome.

Then I came home for my appointment with the nutritionist. It wasn't Tara Gidus, it was another person from her office. She was nice. I learned everything I am doing wrong. I am doing some good stuff, obviously because it helped me lose 30 lbs. But, she gave me new calorie guidelines. I have to drop from 2000 down to 1700. That will be tough as I have been so hungry lately. She changed some of my calorie breakdown as far as spreading them out more evenly. She gave me some new snacks to try.

I will implement all the changes by the weekend as I need to go shopping for the new snacks. I was concerned that I wasn't eating enough for all the exercise I was doing (obviously back when I was training for the marathon). She told me to worry about now and we can revisit when I ramp up the miles.

She said to try and lose as much weight as I can before the miles add up because once the heavy training starts it will be harder to lose then.

She also briefly discussed fueling strategies for running as it was one of my concerns. Basically she said it is a lot of work to develop the proper fueling plan for a marathon but once we do it I will have the exact recipe needed to be successful in my races.

Here is hoping her recommendations work and the weight starts coming off again. If so it is money well spent.

That's awesome! I'm glad you had a good session and think you've got a better idea of the way ahead. Aside from cutting down to 1700 calories a day, what else did she have you change? I'll be interested to see how you like the changes.

Also - good job on the run outside. I feel SO much better when I run outside. The Rock and Roll Marathon is happening this Saturday in my neighborhood, so I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try and get my long run in from a slightly different route or if I just wait a day and run Sunday. I'm pretty much hemmed in by road closures all morning, so I won't be driving anywhere.

Why can't you wear a tracker at work? What are you looking for as far as real time info? The FitBit Charge HR does the heart rate real time but I believe everything else goes to the phone to see later, well except for steps but I don't care about those either.
No personal electronics allowed in my workspace. (Also, no windows, no emergency exit.) My phone goes into an RF-shielded locker every morning and comes out when I leave, so would a tracker, which means 9+ hours a day I'm at work and 6 or so that I'm asleep = 9 hours of awake tracking/use. As far as real time information, I'd like to see pace, distance, and heart rate. My Garmin gives me that already, except the heart rate because I hate the chest strap/sports bra combination.

I am not skipping the CFA because of the marathon training. If I decide to skip the CFA is it because it isn't right for my career. I have been reading more about it and it seems people my age that get it aren't having any better luck getting a good job without experience to go along with it. So I am questioning if it is really worth all the time and effort, and expense. My career is my biggest worry. At my age I should be in a much better position than I am and I feel stuck because I am good at sales but I don't really enjoy it anymore. I can't seem to get into another field without experience but how do you get experience without the job.
This makes sense. Much more sense than passing on the CFA in favor of running more. Is it that you don't like sales or you don't like the sales you're doing? Didn't you have an interview today at a bank? How did that go?

I am only negative toward myself really. I am pretty positive toward other people. I must have been pretty positive for 2 coworkers to commit to running Wine and Dine. But, I am nowhere near as bad as I used to be.
Which is why I don't believe you when you tell me that your self-negativity is just the way your mind works. You have cheerleaders...now you just have to join the squad.

I took Monday as a rest day, then bounced on the trampoline today. It was a good workout (trampoline does work the whole body, so my shoulder is a bit sore again), but the off-side of the trampoline was occupied by a trio of high school girls (two of whom I mentor off and on) working on chemistry, physics, and english homework. When we were done, the instructor told them detention was over and they could go home.

Wow! I thought I replied but it's not here:(

LOL. I should have suspected the seat was going to be large when it was labeled "sofa." Oh well I like it.

I'm looking forward to my new fitbit coming. I wanted the plum and it's on back order. I liked the info from the Surge but it was just too big for my wrist.

I ran at the gym yesterday after being sick for a week. I normally do 4/1. I for some dumb reason decided that trying 5/1 after not working out was a good idea. FYI it wasn't. I still ground out a couple miles.

Waiting~that's awesome the nutritionist is giving you some ideas to work with. I know you want to see some movement in your weightloss and this should definitely help. Glad you wer able to run outside. Sounds like it was a good run and even better for your mental state

Chiomaca~sounds like training for a tri is out but a Duathlon would work. Hope that you keep healing. Are you doing another rdisney? Did you get a lottery spot for NY?

Still haven't signed up for any races this spring!

That's awesome! I'm glad you had a good session and think you've got a better idea of the way ahead. Aside from cutting down to 1700 calories a day, what else did she have you change? I'll be interested to see how you like the changes.

Also - good job on the run outside. I feel SO much better when I run outside. The Rock and Roll Marathon is happening this Saturday in my neighborhood, so I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try and get my long run in from a slightly different route or if I just wait a day and run Sunday. I'm pretty much hemmed in by road closures all morning, so I won't be driving anywhere.

No personal electronics allowed in my workspace. (Also, no windows, no emergency exit.) My phone goes into an RF-shielded locker every morning and comes out when I leave, so would a tracker, which means 9+ hours a day I'm at work and 6 or so that I'm asleep = 9 hours of awake tracking/use. As far as real time information, I'd like to see pace, distance, and heart rate. My Garmin gives me that already, except the heart rate because I hate the chest strap/sports bra combination.

This makes sense. Much more sense than passing on the CFA in favor of running more. Is it that you don't like sales or you don't like the sales you're doing? Didn't you have an interview today at a bank? How did that go?

Which is why I don't believe you when you tell me that your self-negativity is just the way your mind works. You have cheerleaders...now you just have to join the squad.

I took Monday as a rest day, then bounced on the trampoline today. It was a good workout (trampoline does work the whole body, so my shoulder is a bit sore again), but the off-side of the trampoline was occupied by a trio of high school girls (two of whom I mentor off and on) working on chemistry, physics, and english homework. When we were done, the instructor told them detention was over and they could go home.

She said I need to change my snacks a bit. I eat a Kashi Trail Mix bar but she said it is too much fat with the nuts and stuff so I could have tuna for a snack, or a piece of fruit with a soy yogurt (since I don't do dairy anymore). She also said Edamame beans (if I spelled it right. They are soy beans) are a great snack. She said to eat as much fiber as possible because it speeds up the metabolism because it makes the body work harder to digest it.

She also told me something that makes so much sense but it just never occurred to me. But basically, when I exercise and use my heart rate monitor that the calories burned are not always accurate (which I know) but for a different reason. Each monitor will have its own reading and I get that part. But, if I work out for an hour and burn say 800 calories I can't just deduct 800 calories from what I ate. The reason is, my body would have burned 200 calories that hour anyway if I had just sat on the couch and done nothing. So, I really only burned an extra 600 calories. So, if I burn 3500 calories in a week (which was my old goal) I may only be netting 2500 calories burned. This explains why my math wasn't adding up to faster weight loss.

My run yesterday was very uplifting for several reasons. Just being outside and breathing fresh air was great. But, I also got an idea where I am as far as performance. I ran with the intention of going slow based on the 80/20 book. I was TRYING to run so slow. I did my first mile and RunKeeper tells me my pace was 9:01. I was like, "HUH?" I also ran a mile and 1/2 at that pace without stopping, which I could never do on a training run before. Races are different because of the other people and the energy of the race. My point is, I know I can go much faster now. It gives me hope that with the work I will do over the next 7 months I may actually be able to do the 7:00 mile pace I need.

How are those Rock and Roll races? I heard they are a lot of fun. So you aren't running the race, you are just figuring out how to fit your run in around the race?

You have no emergency exits at work? How is that even legal? The FitBits don't do pace because they don't have GPS. You may want to look into the Samsung Gear S smart watch. It does GPS, heart race, you can put your music on it, etc... I have been seriously considering it because you can make phone calls from it and text. I like it because I may be able to use that for running instead of bringing my phone with me. Oh, and it doesn't need a chest strap for the heart rate.

I don't like any sales I don't think. If it pays the bills I will keep doing it. I don't dread it. I just don't get excited about it like I used to. I cancelled the interview at the bank. Thanks for remembering though. I weighed the pros and cons and there were way more cons for that job. Less money. I still wouldn't see the kids much more than I do now. Less flexibility in the schedule. I have been frustrated at work but I didn't want to make a move for the wrong reasons.

The CFA isn't ruled out. I am just not rushing into it either. If I don't take it in December I will take it next June if I decide it's the right route. I have been so tired lately anyway that I am struggling to stay awake until 10pm so study time is hard to come by lately.

LOL. I should have suspected the seat was going to be large when it was labeled "sofa." Oh well I like it.

I'm looking forward to my new fitbit coming. I wanted the plum and it's on back order. I liked the info from the Surge but it was just too big for my wrist.

I ran at the gym yesterday after being sick for a week. I normally do 4/1. I for some dumb reason decided that trying 5/1 after not working out was a good idea. FYI it wasn't. I still ground out a couple miles.

Waiting~that's awesome the nutritionist is giving you some ideas to work with. I know you want to see some movement in your weightloss and this should definitely help. Glad you wer able to run outside. Sounds like it was a good run and even better for your mental state

Chiomaca~sounds like training for a tri is out but a Duathlon would work. Hope that you keep healing. Are you doing another rdisney? Did you get a lottery spot for NY?

I not only want to see movement in the weight loss but NEED it to happen to be able to keep up the 7:00 mile pace over 26.2 miles.

Do you have any races that you are considering signing up for?

Had my monthly PT appointment today and the good news is that I have graduated from wall push-ups to incline on a bench or my knees.

Think positive! I had a friend/mentor once point out to me that I was very negative and after giving it some though, I tried hard to play the "glad game" whenever I was about to say something negative. It's very "Pollyanna" (which is where the glad game comes from), but I let myself say the negative thing, then look for something positive.

Yay that you are making progress on the shoulder. I imagine it is very frustrating to still be so limited at least it is healing.

I have to do that too. We call it "reframing". I grew up in a very negative environment and realized that it was just a waste of energy. It is easy for me to point out the "bright side" for others. For me I have to look a little harder. Lately I have filled my newsfeed on Facebook with positive quotes and fitness groups that are encouraging. Then I started sharing this stuff. Now a handful of my friends are sharing it as well. I don't allow negative people on my Facebook group. Seems to be working.

I had the same concerns as Chiomaca about your CFA. I understand that a little better now. I just wouldn't focus so much on your age though. You really aren't that old.

I think you are very encouraging but that maybe you set yourself up for failure in a way. Your goals are either very difficult or the timeframe for accomplishment is not long enough. Like a self-affirming prophecy. I have done that to myself. I may be wrong but it just looks like it perpetuates your negative feelings about yourself.

Today I RAN OUTSIDE!!!! OMG it felt so good and so much better than the treadmill. It was in the 40's, which felt like summertime around here. I could feel the stress leave my body as I was running. I only did 3.5 miles because of time limitations but it was awesome.

:dogdance: Woohoo for the outdoor run! I can't wait until I can too.

Sofa? :teeth: That is too funny Glad you are feeling better. :) Get looking into those races! lol

She also told me something that makes so much sense but it just never occurred to me. But basically, when I exercise and use my heart rate monitor that the calories burned are not always accurate (which I know) but for a different reason. Each monitor will have its own reading and I get that part. But, if I work out for an hour and burn say 800 calories I can't just deduct 800 calories from what I ate. The reason is, my body would have burned 200 calories that hour anyway if I had just sat on the couch and done nothing. So, I really only burned an extra 600 calories. So, if I burn 3500 calories in a week (which was my old goal) I may only be netting 2500 calories burned. This explains why my math wasn't adding up to faster weight loss.

My run yesterday was very uplifting for several reasons. Just being outside and breathing fresh air was great. But, I also got an idea where I am as far as performance. I ran with the intention of going slow based on the 80/20 book. I was TRYING to run so slow. I did my first mile and RunKeeper tells me my pace was 9:01. I was like, "HUH?" I also ran a mile and 1/2 at that pace without stopping, which I could never do on a training run before. Races are different because of the other people and the energy of the race. My point is, I know I can go much faster now. It gives me hope that with the work I will do over the next 7 months I may actually be able to do the 7:00 mile pace I need.

That is cool that you did get something very useful from the nutritionist. :) And I would have never thought about the difference between what I burned during exercise and then what I would have burned anyway... Food for thought.

And that is great on the pace!! :rainbow:

I am still here. Life has been ridiculous lately. My husband's mom collapsed on Saturday and she is in the ICU. She is stable right now and things look like they are going to be ok. One of my dog's won't eat except certain soft food. She is almost 13 and a rotty mix. She used to eat anything. Now I have been experimenting with different soft foods and she is suddenly very picky. Took her to the vet and they did not find anything wrong. She went 10 days at one point without food. Idk. Just very overwhelming.

On the plus side my friend is getting married in May and bought me a bridesmaid, sight unseen and obviously not tried on. o_O I'm just hoping it will fit. lol

I have not worked out, but have mostly held onto my diet. Weighed in yesterday and was down 0.8 lbs. So that is good at least. There is a yoga class tonight and I am going to try to make it.

Our 21 Day Fix stuff will be in this weekend. I'm not sure if we will start then or wait a week. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. We have stuck to the clean eating meals for dinner and I think that this is something that works for us. The kids are keeping open minds and my husband has been doing a good job sticking with the recipes for the most part. I can't complain because he is really trying.

I am super excited that we are getting up in the 40's and 50's here. I can almost go outside in shorts! Not really but I have thought about it. And the sun has been out which has done wonders for my mood.

On the plus side my friend is getting married in May and bought me a bridesmaid, sight unseen and obviously not tried on. o_O I'm just hoping it will fit. lol

Wow your very own bridesmaid?!! That's an awesome present but you'd think the bride would have kept her for herself since weddings are when they most come in handy!! :D:D:D

I am still here. Life has been ridiculous lately. My husband's mom collapsed on Saturday and she is in the ICU. She is stable right now and things look like they are going to be ok. One of my dog's won't eat except certain soft food. She is almost 13 and a rotty mix. She used to eat anything. Now I have been experimenting with different soft foods and she is suddenly very picky. Took her to the vet and they did not find anything wrong. She went 10 days at one point without food. Idk. Just very overwhelming.

I am super excited that we are getting up in the 40's and 50's here. I can almost go outside in shorts! Not really but I have thought about it. And the sun has been out which has done wonders for my mood.

I'm glad to hear your Mother in Law will be ok - that's scary.

It was so beautiful on the weekend that my girls decided to have a water fight and they went outside in their bathing suits. I posted a photo of them on Facebook and my eastern family and friends were in an uproar! Particularly the one who lives in Virginia and has had 8 snow days in the last couple of weeks! Ah it's good to live in the sunshine capital of Canada! Unfortunately we are also the rain capital o_O

I don't really have anything else to report - I haven't been doing much and my eating has also been crap. I really want to be more motivated but so far it's not happening. I saw that Avengers was happening in Nov and briefly wanted to plan for that because it's the same week we went to WDW in 2013 and its our birthday week but I don't know if we can afford a trip this year anymore and even if we could I'd want to go back to WDW again before heading back to DL.

Wow your very own bridesmaid?!! That's an awesome present but you'd think the bride would have kept her for herself since weddings are when they most come in handy!! :D:D:D

LMAO! I was in such a hurry to get a post up before work started that I did not proofread at all! Erf.

I'm glad to hear your Mother in Law will be ok - that's scary.

It was so beautiful on the weekend that my girls decided to have a water fight and they went outside in their bathing suits. I posted a photo of them on Facebook and my eastern family and friends were in an uproar! Particularly the one who lives in Virginia and has had 8 snow days in the last couple of weeks! Ah it's good to live in the sunshine capital of Canada! Unfortunately we are also the rain capital o_O

I don't really have anything else to report - I haven't been doing much and my eating has also been crap. I really want to be more motivated but so far it's not happening. I saw that Avengers was happening in Nov and briefly wanted to plan for that because it's the same week we went to WDW in 2013 and its our birthday week but I don't know if we can afford a trip this year anymore and even if we could I'd want to go back to WDW again before heading back to DL.

Yeah, we hope she will be ok. She's doing a lot better but being in her late 70's and now having serious heart complications, we are cautiously optimistic.

I am so jealous of the swim suits! It was 50 here today and I was dreaming of swimsuits and swimming.

I hear ya on the motivation. Mine seems to come and go on a whim recently. I did go to yoga tonight. I'm not sure if I liked it. First of all, my last patient was late which meant I was late leaving and rushed around and STILL got there late. I hate being late. Then all the first poses were ones that put a lot of pressure on the wrists. That happens to be my weak spot. I was surprised about how much I actually sweated. And my muscles were exhausted by the end. Honestly I wanted to walk out in the first 10 minutes. I didn't leave because that would have been embarrassing. It did get better as it went though. I think I might try one more class before deciding.

At least you got out and you know what your limit is. You could also start at 5:1 for a mile and then shift down to 4:1 while you're working to develop your capacity. I haven't tried that, but it might help.

I don't know of any duathlons here and I have a substantial race schedule starting this month, so I'll probably pass and just work on the shoulder. I didn't get into New York, but I registered for Marine Corps just in case, so that will be my fall marathon. In the meantime, I run the Shamrock Half this month, Cherry Blossom Ten Miler in April, Tinkerbell in May, SF Half in July, Army Ten Miler and Marine Corps Marathon in October, Avengers in November. So that's plenty to keep me moving year round.

She said I need to change my snacks a bit. I eat a Kashi Trail Mix bar but she said it is too much fat with the nuts and stuff so I could have tuna for a snack, or a piece of fruit with a soy yogurt (since I don't do dairy anymore). She also said Edamame beans (if I spelled it right. They are soy beans) are a great snack. She said to eat as much fiber as possible because it speeds up the metabolism because it makes the body work harder to digest it.

How are those Rock and Roll races? I heard they are a lot of fun. So you aren't running the race, you are just figuring out how to fit your run in around the race?

You have no emergency exits at work? How is that even legal? The FitBits don't do pace because they don't have GPS. You may want to look into the Samsung Gear S smart watch. It does GPS, heart race, you can put your music on it, etc... I have been seriously considering it because you can make phone calls from it and text. I like it because I may be able to use that for running instead of bringing my phone with me. Oh, and it doesn't need a chest strap for the heart rate.
I love edamame! You can buy it in bags and just zap them in the microwave. I always have some in the freezer. I hadn't thought about the calories you'd have burned sitting on the couch, but that's a good point.

Nice run pace!

I haven't done a Rock n Roll. The DC course goes right near my house, as do any races of length in DC since I live near the Capitol building. I can't decide if I'm going to go out and cheer or just take the pups and do my own run. I'm supposed to do 8 this week, so I could probably do both.

I work in a very secure location. Legal isn't really an issue. Though the fire marshall doesn't like our extension cords.

Sounds like the Fitbit is out for me then, I'll probably just stick with the Garmin I already have. It already does more than I need since all I do is look at my pace at each mile. I carry my phone when I run because I run alone and at one point last summer I was really glad I had it with me when I bonked four miles away from my car. And because attacks on women runners are a thing.

Ugh. Lots of stress all around. Hugs and good vibes your way.

Our 21 Day Fix stuff will be in this weekend. I'm not sure if we will start then or wait a week. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. We have stuck to the clean eating meals for dinner and I think that this is something that works for us. The kids are keeping open minds and my husband has been doing a good job sticking with the recipes for the most part. I can't complain because he is really trying.
Glad the kids and husband are willing to adapt. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the two meal deliveries I get a week...only tonight finished the last of Fridays' chicken pot pie. I need to cook tomorrow and Friday!

That waterfight sounds like so much fun! It's been in the 40s-50s here, too. I haven't out on a swimsuit though...I'm too old and wimpy to do that anymore. I remember being in college and running down to an aerobics class in a Vermont January wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I am smarter now.

Are you already bored with the river running? There have to be some amazing races to plan for in Vancouver.BTW, Avengers is my birthday week, too! I will be there with the full family and a complement of west coast friends. It's too bad that you had so many financial issues this year, it seems like they always cluster like that. Hopefully you've moved on for a while.

I did go to yoga tonight. I'm not sure if I liked it. First of all, my last patient was late which meant I was late leaving and rushed around and STILL got there late. I hate being late. Then all the first poses were ones that put a lot of pressure on the wrists. That happens to be my weak spot. I was surprised about how much I actually sweated. And my muscles were exhausted by the end. Honestly I wanted to walk out in the first 10 minutes. I didn't leave because that would have been embarrassing. It did get better as it went though. I think I might try one more class before deciding.
Yoga can be tough mentally. More people injure themselves trying to get somewhere they're not and pushing too hard. That's experience speaking - I may be the only person you will ever meet who needed a full back and neck x-ray as a result of a yoga class. :crutches:Anyway....just respect your body and give it a couple of weeks before you give up - there are so many new terms and body movements that it takes a while to get comfortable. I stopped doing yoga because it got less convenient timewise at the work gym and my evenings are full enough. It will do wonders for your core and that will make running easier.

That waterfight sounds like so much fun! It's been in the 40s-50s here, too. I haven't out on a swimsuit though...I'm too old and wimpy to do that anymore. I remember being in college and running down to an aerobics class in a Vermont January wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I am smarter now.

Are you already bored with the river running? There have to be some amazing races to plan for in Vancouver.BTW, Avengers is my birthday week, too! I will be there with the full family and a complement of west coast friends. It's too bad that you had so many financial issues this year, it seems like they always cluster like that. Hopefully you've moved on for a while.

I have gone scuba diving in January here and would undo the top of my wet suit and people thought I was CRAZY! I tend to agree now but it didn't seem like a big deal at the time LOL!

I'm not bored with the river - in fact I'm missing it this week which is a good thing! It's spring break here this week and next so I decided to work the 6:30-2:30 shift because I don't have to take my daughter to before school care - which also means no forced walks 3 times a week and no morning pool 2 times a week. Since I'm off so early I have been doing things with the girls in the afternoon which I'm enjoying and they love but it's been stuff that's less active and more kid oriented. I took them to the park one day, looked up songs on ITunes and played games the next and yesterday I finally gave in and took them to the dollar store (a kids paradise LOL). My youngest has guitar lessons tonight at the community centre so I may try and get some laps in while she's in her lesson - It's only 30 minutes but it's better than nothing. Next week they are gone to my inlaws so although I will still be working these hours I'll have my afternoons free to do some workouts - I've really been wanting to get back to doing my wii fit and try out my wii zumba and dance and it will be a good time I think to try it with no one around :)

I had the same concerns as Chiomaca about your CFA. I understand that a little better now. I just wouldn't focus so much on your age though. You really aren't that old.

I think you are very encouraging but that maybe you set yourself up for failure in a way. Your goals are either very difficult or the timeframe for accomplishment is not long enough. Like a self-affirming prophecy. I have done that to myself. I may be wrong but it just looks like it perpetuates your negative feelings about yourself.

I don't think I set myself up for failure this time. I was mad at myself during my marathon so I figured I'd really challenge myself this year to get in really good shape and see what I can do. I really want to run the Boston Marathon and if I don't qualify I have to do it for charity, which is fine, but I need to raise $4000. Well, I am short on family to help and I don't have a ton of friends that would contribute either. Plus, I just want to be able to day I am a BQ. But if I run a 3:30 marathon this year and don't qualify I will still be proud of myself as just finishing any marathon is a huge accomplishment.

I hope your mother-in-law is OK. Sorry to hear about the dog as well.

I hope you and the hubbie can stick to the program for the full 21 days. It may be the kick start you need to get back on track with motivation. At least he is open to trying though.

If it wasn't in the 40's and 50's here this week I might be mad at you right now with this nice weather talk. :rolleyes: The Avengers theme just doesn't appeal to me that much. I think I want to run the Star Wars race though. From the videos I have seen it looks real cool. I know how you feel though, I want to go back to WDW too. :sad2::sad2::sad2:

I hear ya on the motivation. Mine seems to come and go on a whim recently. I did go to yoga tonight. I'm not sure if I liked it. First of all, my last patient was late which meant I was late leaving and rushed around and STILL got there late. I hate being late. Then all the first poses were ones that put a lot of pressure on the wrists. That happens to be my weak spot. I was surprised about how much I actually sweated. And my muscles were exhausted by the end. Honestly I wanted to walk out in the first 10 minutes. I didn't leave because that would have been embarrassing. It did get better as it went though. I think I might try one more class before deciding.

I think the key to motivation sometimes is "fake it until you make it". Sometimes you have to just force yourself to workout and it will get you back in the mood. Giving into the old habits will only make it harder the longer you do it.

Monday I did not want to workout. I was so tired after work. I have been really tired lately in general. But I went and did that 25 minutes. Not my greatest workout but it got me moving. I ran outside the next day which was HUGE. I went to the gym last night and did 3.79 miles. I had to talk myself out of running outside again today as I had the day off. It was cold and windy but I came so close to running again. But, I was sore. My feet are sore. I convinced myself to take the day off as 4 days of running in a row this soon is probably not good.

The outside run did it for me though. The fresh air, a little bit of that spring smell in the air. It just helped me get excited again. I started breaking in a new pair of sneakers. I will be buying some new running clothes soon enough. 2 days of following my new diet. (I got dried edamame beans to snack on). Set a new goal to hopefully be under 210 lbs by my son's kindergarten graduation in June. My point is, just force yourselves to get up and to keep moving. The motivation will follow.

BTW StayCool, Yoga is HARD. But I think you should try a few more classes. It gets easier. You become stronger and more flexible. It's good stuff. I need to do more of it to strengthen my core.

My oldest daughter and I went to the pool last night while my youngest was supposed to have guitar lessons (turns out it was cancelled!) and we ran in the river for 30 minutes straight with only two walking breaks - she's a way better running partner than my cousin and friend! Hopefully I can convince her to come more often :)

I haven't done a Rock n Roll. The DC course goes right near my house, as do any races of length in DC since I live near the Capitol building. I can't decide if I'm going to go out and cheer or just take the pups and do my own run. I'm supposed to do 8 this week, so I could probably do both.

Glad the kids and husband are willing to adapt. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the two meal deliveries I get a week...only tonight finished the last of Fridays' chicken pot pie. I need to cook tomorrow and Friday!

Yoga can be tough mentally. More people injure themselves trying to get somewhere they're not and pushing too hard. That's experience speaking - I may be the only person you will ever meet who needed a full back and neck x-ray as a result of a yoga class. :crutches:Anyway....just respect your body and give it a couple of weeks before you give up - there are so many new terms and body movements that it takes a while to get comfortable. I stopped doing yoga because it got less convenient timewise at the work gym and my evenings are full enough. It will do wonders for your core and that will make running easier.

I was looking at the Rock n Roll races only because they have a 16 min pace requirement and I could do that. Closest to me is in Philly though. Maybe some year.

Well with a family of 4, there isn't much left over. There has been a couple things that we didn't like, but I'm happy. It is progress.

I had no idea what to expect with yoga really. Being late messed with my head and then it was a lot harder than I thought. I like to think of myself as tough and this showed me that I'm not. lol I'm not giving up on it yet simply because as miserable I was during it, I felt good after it was over. So a few more tries are in the future at least. How in the world did you hurt yourself that badly? Did you fall?

I have gone scuba diving in January here and would undo the top of my wet suit and people thought I was CRAZY! I tend to agree now but it didn't seem like a big deal at the time LOL!

I'm not bored with the river - in fact I'm missing it this week which is a good thing! It's spring break here this week and next so I decided to work the 6:30-2:30 shift because I don't have to take my daughter to before school care - which also means no forced walks 3 times a week and no morning pool 2 times a week. Since I'm off so early I have been doing things with the girls in the afternoon which I'm enjoying and they love but it's been stuff that's less active and more kid oriented. I took them to the park one day, looked up songs on ITunes and played games the next and yesterday I finally gave in and took them to the dollar store (a kids paradise LOL). My youngest has guitar lessons tonight at the community centre so I may try and get some laps in while she's in her lesson - It's only 30 minutes but it's better than nothing. Next week they are gone to my inlaws so although I will still be working these hours I'll have my afternoons free to do some workouts - I've really been wanting to get back to doing my wii fit and try out my wii zumba and dance and it will be a good time I think to try it with no one around :)

Schedule changes are rough. But you are building memories. :)

I don't think I set myself up for failure this time. I was mad at myself during my marathon so I figured I'd really challenge myself this year to get in really good shape and see what I can do. I really want to run the Boston Marathon and if I don't qualify I have to do it for charity, which is fine, but I need to raise $4000. Well, I am short on family to help and I don't have a ton of friends that would contribute either. Plus, I just want to be able to day I am a BQ. But if I run a 3:30 marathon this year and don't qualify I will still be proud of myself as just finishing any marathon is a huge accomplishment.

I hope you and the hubbie can stick to the program for the full 21 days. It may be the kick start you need to get back on track with motivation. At least he is open to trying though.

I think the key to motivation sometimes is "fake it until you make it". Sometimes you have to just force yourself to workout and it will get you back in the mood. Giving into the old habits will only make it harder the longer you do it.

The outside run did it for me though. The fresh air, a little bit of that spring smell in the air. It just helped me get excited again. I started breaking in a new pair of sneakers. I will be buying some new running clothes soon enough. 2 days of following my new diet. (I got dried edamame beans to snack on). Set a new goal to hopefully be under 210 lbs by my son's kindergarten graduation in June. My point is, just force yourselves to get up and to keep moving. The motivation will follow.

BTW StayCool, Yoga is HARD. But I think you should try a few more classes. It gets easier. You become stronger and more flexible. It's good stuff. I need to do more of it to strengthen my core.

Ok, I won't harp on the "you are being too hard on yourself" stuff anymore. lol I'm just glad to hear you say you are proud of yourself.

He said he can do anything for 21 days so I am going to hold him to it. We just got the box last night so I'm reading the material and trying to do some planning. I'm not sure if we will start this week or if we will wait another week so I can do some better planning. And I totally agree with fake it til you make it. I'm a work in progress. I will say that since I had stopped working out I could definitely feel the difference in my body.

Glad you got back outside. Good luck on the weight loss. Sounds like you have everything under control. :)

I'm still sore from yoga. I didn't previously know that I had triceps but at the moment I can't move an inch without them reminding me. As the day went on yesterday I had some increased muscle soreness. Shoulders, upper back, abs and the triceps. I slept better the last couple of nights though. :) I don't think I am ready to go to class tomorrow just because my arms aren't going to hold out. The good news is that my wrists are fine. I was really concerned that I would have a lot of pain due to all the pressure on them. I did alternate between being on my hands and making a fist and using my knuckles. Seemed to work so I will just keep doing that. Hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

My oldest daughter and I went to the pool last night while my youngest was supposed to have guitar lessons (turns out it was cancelled!) and we ran in the river for 30 minutes straight with only two walking breaks - she's a way better running partner than my cousin and friend! Hopefully I can convince her to come more often :)

That's excellent. Keep it up. It would be awesome if your daughter would become your partner.

I had no idea what to expect with yoga really. Being late messed with my head and then it was a lot harder than I thought. I like to think of myself as tough and this showed me that I'm not. lol I'm not giving up on it yet simply because as miserable I was during it, I felt good after it was over. So a few more tries are in the future at least. How in the world did you hurt yourself that badly? Did you fall?

Ok, I won't harp on the "you are being too hard on yourself" stuff anymore. lol I'm just glad to hear you say you are proud of yourself.

He said he can do anything for 21 days so I am going to hold him to it. We just got the box last night so I'm reading the material and trying to do some planning. I'm not sure if we will start this week or if we will wait another week so I can do some better planning. And I totally agree with fake it til you make it. I'm a work in progress. I will say that since I had stopped working out I could definitely feel the difference in my body.

Glad you got back outside. Good luck on the weight loss. Sounds like you have everything under control. :)

I am sore for days when I do Yoga. The first time I did the Yoga routine from P90X3 I only lasted 10 minutes I was so sore. Its good though. It shows how effective Yoga is because it works the muscles differently in a low impact way. Like you, I dread Yoga but I feel so much better when I am done because it stretches me out and I am less tight and stressed. That's great.

If you need to wait a week to try the 21 day fix that would fine if it ensures your success. If an extra week of planning makes it more possible to succeed I say great.

Its OK. You can harp on me all you want. I know I am hard on myself. Its a little different now as I know I am doing some things that are not very easy. I am doing things I never would have tried before. I am challenging myself in many different ways. I just want to do all those things the best I can. That's all.

I haven't lost anything yet so I don't have anything under control. I have followed the new guidelines for 3 days now and I am so hungry. Hoping to adjust in the next couple of days.

Chiomaca, I posted my reply last night and turned off the computer and realized I didn't comment on your list of races for the year. It sounds like an awesome line up of races and I wish I could run all of those too. I hope you have a blast.

I went to the gym tonight after work. I wasn't feeling it but I most likely won't get to run all weekend so I forced myself to go. I was so sore and tight from the 3 days of running this week. It didn't loosen up as time went on. Then I had a heart palpitation on the treadmill and got really dizzy. I called it quits at 3 miles. I figured it was better than if I went home after work.

That's it for me today. Just a little grumpy from a bad day at work. I didn't get paid a few hundred dollars from my January commissions and I found out today I probably won't get them even though I sold the phones. It is still not clear why. I am learning that my manager isn't the greatest. He won't do any of the research to find out why I lost the money so I am left to do it all myself and still being pretty new I have no idea what to do. He doesn't seem to care.

My resumes are out but it is still frustrating that I am in this position at my age. OK, off to sleep.

That's excellent. Keep it up. It would be awesome if your daughter would become your partner.

We went again tonight and did three sets of 10 - that's way more than I've ever done before! Yippeee for me :)

I am sore for days when I do Yoga. The first time I did the Yoga routine from P90X3 I only lasted 10 minutes I was so sore. Its good though. It shows how effective Yoga is because it works the muscles differently in a low impact way. Like you, I dread Yoga but I feel so much better when I am done because it stretches me out and I am less tight and stressed. That's great..

I'm still sore from yoga. I didn't previously know that I had triceps but at the moment I can't move an inch without them reminding me. As the day went on yesterday I had some increased muscle soreness. Shoulders, upper back, abs and the triceps. I slept better the last couple of nights though. :) I don't think I am ready to go to class tomorrow just because my arms aren't going to hold out. The good news is that my wrists are fine. I was really concerned that I would have a lot of pain due to all the pressure on them. I did alternate between being on my hands and making a fist and using my knuckles. Seemed to work so I will just keep doing that. Hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

I know so many people who love yoga but I feel like I would hate it. I really should try it one of these days. I think I might like Bikram Yoga more than regular yoga.

I went to the gym tonight after work. I wasn't feeling it but I most likely won't get to run all weekend so I forced myself to go. I was so sore and tight from the 3 days of running this week. It didn't loosen up as time went on. Then I had a heart palpitation on the treadmill and got really dizzy. I called it quits at 3 miles. I figured it was better than if I went home after work.

That's it for me today. Just a little grumpy from a bad day at work. I didn't get paid a few hundred dollars from my January commissions and I found out today I probably won't get them even though I sold the phones. It is still not clear why. I am learning that my manager isn't the greatest. He won't do any of the research to find out why I lost the money so I am left to do it all myself and still being pretty new I have no idea what to do. He doesn't seem to care.

My resumes are out but it is still frustrating that I am in this position at my age. OK, off to sleep.

That's good that you called it quits - heart palpitations and dizziness are not good things. That sucks about your work, I do payroll and I try to never lose sight of the fact that it wasn't that long ago that I lived paycheque to paycheque and people REALLY need their pay to be correct. It's one of my pet peeves when people in payroll or management don't care enough to honour their position. My husband was in the same position as you a few years ago. He worked in retail most of his life and was a district manager with 21 stores and then things went sour and he decided to take a few years off to be home with the girls (I am not stay at home mom material so it was great that he wanted to be at home with them) and then when it was time to go back to work he felt he was at a loss. He didn't want retail again but that was what his last 20 years of experience had been. He ended up landing a job with the government (the equivalent to your IRS) and has been there for the last three years. He doesn't LOVE it but he also doesn't dislike it and it's good $$ and comes with a pension and flexible hours so you can't beat that. There's something out there for you - your time will come I'm sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter