Is there anyone else who doesn't get a flu shot?

Also disgusting but not even close, sorry
You may want to try and tell that to these people who actually tested positive: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/60-okl...test-positive-hepatitis-hiv/story?id=18991527

Or these 12,000 people from six different dental clinics: http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ts-may-have-been-exposed-to-hiv-and-hepatitis

Or these 22,000 dental patients: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/534549/Patients-Nottingham-dentist-HIV-hepatitis-test

...or I could go on.

Last edited:
I remember an interview of Dr. Christian Fiala in which he mentions that on the packaging for the HIV Elisa test is a warning that a study found 40% of those that had the influenza vaccination had a false positive for HIV. It's something to be aware of. He brings this up around the 40 minute mark.

I remember an interview of Dr. Christian Fiala in which he mentions that on the packaging for the HIV Elisa test is a warning that a study found 40% of those that had the influenza vaccination had a false positive for HIV. It's something to be aware of.
A couple important clarifications, the first is that such false positives in preliminary ELISA assays are associated with recent flu vaccinations, secondly ELISA assays are a preliminary diagnostic test for HIV which can generate false-positives from several sources, including pregnancy, which is why other more definite assays are then conducted that are definitive when an ELISA assay pops up as positive. What Dr. Fiala describes is pretty well known and is documented.

As for Fiala himself, he's an "HIV/AIDS Denialist". He's part of the group of crank doctors that have convinced themselves that HIV doesn't cause AIDS. He's also had one spectacularly bad paper that he was an author on withdrawn from a rather sketchy scientific journal... on the topic of HIV/AIDS Denialism... if that gives you an idea about the guy:
Ben Goldacre’s column over the weekend entitled Medical Hypotheses fails the Aids test, which in turn led me to this detailed explanation on AIDSTruth.org entitled Elsevier retracts Duesberg’s AIDS Denialist article. After that, it all became clear. Basically, the slapdown administered to Duesberg and other HIV/AIDS denialists had its genesis in a study by Pride Chigwedere and coinvestigators at Harvard University, who estimated that delays in providing antiretroviral drugs in South Africa because of state-supported AIDS denialism (in which Duesberg played a prominent role in promoting) had caused over 300,000 deaths. In fact, the article mentioned Duesberg’s role in promoting HIV/AIDS denialism in South Africa. This is what happened:

AIDS denialist Peter Duesberg, whose influence on the disastrous South African government policies was mentioned in Chigwedere’s article, submitted a response to JAIDS that was co-authored by four others including Rasnick (and Fiala). After this article was rejected because of its poor academic quality, Duesberg et al. submitted it to a different journal, Medical Hypotheses. Two days later, the editor accepted the paper. Medical Hypotheses does not practice peer review, a process in which several scientists check a submitted academic paper for quality and suggest needed improvements over a period of weeks or months. The Duesberg et al. paper was accepted without such a review process, after inspection only by the editor of Medical Hypotheses.

So yes, if you're getting an HIV test and have recently been given a flu vaccine (or other vaccines too), you may want to mention it to the lab as it could result in a preliminary false-positive, but you don't have to take that as the news from an HIV/AIDS Denialist.

Last edited:
I usually get the shot every year, last year I skipped it and one of my coworkers came into the office with the flu and I caught it (the only one mind you who did) I actually thought i was going to die.

I was in the hospital for weeks, ended up on oxygen for the first time in my life. Now i am not the average case I already have bad lungs and all that. I'm still fighting the damage that was done last year.

I don't care if you get the shot, but please don't come to work if you're showing symptoms, pretty please :)

Yes...every year. I don't want the flu, not do I want to share it with anyone else.

I would not get it, if I had a choice. I work for a hospital and they force employees to get it.

I've never had the flu vaccine.

I've had the flu one time in my life, that I can remember.

I think the same thing when people say they had the flu but afterwards refuse to get the flu shot. I never ever want to feel like that if I can help it. It makes me wonder if people who say they had influenza actually had it, or if they had another flu-like virus. Because let me tell you, influenza two years ago was worse than every other sickness I ever remember having. I have never gone to the emergency room for myself in my life, but I was seriously considering having DH take me because I thought I might actually be dying.

I think the same thing when people say they had the flu but afterwards refuse to get the flu shot. I never ever want to feel like that if I can help it. It makes me wonder if people who say they had influenza actually had it, or if they had another flu-like virus. Because let me tell you, influenza two years ago was worse than every other sickness I ever remember having. I have never gone to the emergency room for myself in my life, but I was seriously considering having DH take me because I thought I might actually be dying.

I think there are people who falsely equate a coincidental illness with the flu shot causing the illness.

There's a lot of misunderstanding and misconceptions about vaccines, especially the flu vaccine.

I think there are people who falsely equate a coincidental illness with the flu shot causing the illness.

There's a lot of misunderstanding and misconceptions about vaccines, especially the flu vaccine.
I agree with this. In fact, several of the side effects of the shot can be similar in nature to flu symptoms. So people haven't really had the flu, but maybe some other (milder) illness that seems to mimic the flu.

I also don't understand people who say they've had the flu, but still won't get the shot. I've had the flu, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But there are people who like pain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter