Is there anyone else who doesn't get a flu shot?

Never had a problem with the flu shot but did get a severe case of flu/pneumonia last year.
(Had a pneumonia shot a few years earlier and got very ill within a day of getting the shot. Would never get that one again!).

My friend's mom had the same type of reaction to the pneumonia shot. Was in bed for three days. Seems counter intuitive to get a shot that could make you sick, because one day it MIGHT prevent you from getting sick. I have a handful of jelly beans - if you throw them over your shoulder it might rain. Oh my gosh, it rained! I love science!

My DH got his flu shot, I did not. The one time I got it, which I did because I was my mom's primary ride to chemo, and I didn't want to get the flu and unknowingly pass it to her or any other patient, I had an injection site reaction, and hives all over for a few days.
So instead, I wash my hands almost obsessively, and I do not stand too close to people when I am at work- retail brings in all kinds of people with all kinds of germs, so I stand back when talking to people. I try my best to be germ free, and hope for the best.

We all get the shot but haven't yet this year. My kids both get it in school. They started offering it a couple of years ago after a student at the high school died from complications of the flu.

Nope we are not high risk for complications so I prefer to not inject any of us with more stuff than is necessary and roll the dice.

I get the shot because if there's anything I can do to reduce my chances of getting sick, I'm doing it. If I still get the flu anyway, so be it. But I know the shot is at a minimum lessening my chances, and that's good enough for me. My mom, however, has had reactions on two separate occasions. She had flu-like symptoms about 10 years ago right after getting the shot. She didn't get it for years, and tried again last year and had the same reaction. She will no longer get it. For me, since I don't react to it, no reason not to continue getting it.

My family and I get our flu shot every year, without fail.

I'm a firm believer in prevention, and the science behind all of the recommendations to get vaccinated.

My employer instituted this year -get a flu shot or provide documented proof of why you cannot or you are fired.

Got a flu shot this year.so far no problems.

I never did in the past and have never had a problem. I did the mist a couple of years ago and got sick immediately after I was in bed for 5+ days. I had never been that sick before, nor that sick after.

I worked in a hospital for over 20 years, and we were required to get a flu shot. I never got the flu in all that time. After retirement, i continue to get a flu shot every year. No flu. Two years ago, DD and DGS were visiting me when they both came down with the H1N1 strain. Even with very close contact, I never got sick. So, I am an advocate of getting your flu shot!

I would get the flu shot if I were high risk or worked somewhere with kids but since I'm low risk, healthy, and am not around random kids all day...I don't need it.

I get it every year as I am immune compromised. DH is the same and I make my kids get it so they don't bring the flu home to me. So far none of us has gotten the flu. I doubt that if the shot made you sick that it would be so highly advocated for those that are at greatest risk from the flu. I also have had both pneumonia shots and have been fine after those too.

I started getting them about 10 years ago when I was traveling for work frequently. Never had the flu, never any side effects other than a sore arm. They give them at work (not mandatory) and unfortunately I missed it on Friday because I was traveling. So I have to take my prescription card to a pharmacy clinic to get it free. I figure even if it's not 100%, some protection is better than none. Until there is evidence that it is harmful, I will keep getting it. My doctor advocates getting it.

I never get the shot and my husband doesn't either. Every year I think about getting it but I never do. We have also never had the flu so we are lucky. Up until about two years ago my kids got the flu mist. Somehow we just didn't do that the last two years. I'll have to think about getting the mist/shot for them.

My husband refuses to get one so he ends up with a nasty case of bronchitis every single year. You'd think it would be enough to convince him but what doctor and real life experience can win against Google?:sad2:

My husband refuses to get one so he ends up with a nasty case of bronchitis every single year. You'd think it would be enough to convince him but what doctor and real life experience can win against Google?:sad2:
Does he get bronchitis as a complication of influenza?

I usually get a flu shot, as well as my kids. A friend list a baby to the flu, and my mom is getting chemo treatments, so I made sure I got one this year. I've never had any side effects from the shot, and don't know of anyone who did.

This year it is predicted to be effective against 30-50% of strains that may circulate. It is being reported that last year's flu shot offered 0% protection against the flu strains that ended up circulating.

I've heard the estimates for this year are a bit more optimistic than that... I think 60% is the figure I saw. Last year's was terrible, that's for sure. Despite very good participation at the on-campus flu shot events at my school, flu was absolutely rampant just before the holiday break. It was the first time I've gotten it, without a shot, but many of my vaccinated classmates got it too.

Does he get bronchitis as a complication of influenza?

I usually get a flu shot, as well as my kids. A friend list a baby to the flu, and my mom is getting chemo treatments, so I made sure I got one this year. I've never had any side effects from the shot, and don't know of anyone who did.

Yep. My sons and I had pretty mild flu symptoms last year and were better within 5 days. He had two trips to the clinic and a good month before he was back to top form. It was particularly awful because one of our boys was a newborn and I wasn't taking chances so Daddy had pretty minimal interaction with him the month of January.

I have only gotten a flu shot twice. Once 5 years ago when we were going to be traveling abroad during flu season and again last year.

Five years ago I had what doctors believe was a severe auto immune reaction. Had fluid build up throughout my body and had cardiac surgery. I was sick for over a year. I was told to never get a flu shot again.

I took a chance last year because I was caring for a family member undergoing chemo. Fortunately I was ok but I won't chance it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter