If we arrive 2 days late, will my reservation be cancelled by MS?

That was my argument in the other thread a while back but you won't win it around here. I paid for it. I can show up when and if I want to and it ought to be ready. I think a good attorney could win that argument but that's another argument for another time, I guess, and I hope that time never comes.

So... my silly, stupid question of the day: What's "MS"? I went to the Abbreviations Page to see, but it wasn't there. :confused3

Our next reservation is 6/25 - 7/5 at our home resort BWV. Our plane lands at MCO at 11:59pm on 6/25 so we won't check-in at BWV until ~1:30am on 6/26. I didn't think of notifying MS or BWV because we'll still be arriving in time to sleep that first night in our 2BR unit, but this thread has me nervous. At what point would they cancel my reservation? I'd prefer not to sleep in the BWV lobby!

Here is what MS says:
One moment while we route your chat to a Disney Vacation Club Cast Member.
You are now chatting with Todd.
Todd: Welcome Home! How may I assist you today?
Nancy: Hi Todd, I wonder how late I can arrive without my reservation being canceled?
Todd: That's a great question! Do mean what time on the day of arrival or as in more than a day late?
Nancy: Both. We are in discussion about this.
Todd: The Front Desk is staffed 24 hours a day.
Nancy: So if I have a reservation for 8/19, I can arrive on 8/20 early morning?
Todd: If you will not be arriving at all on the day you are supposed to arrive (not counting flights arriving after midnight) we would need to modify the reservation otherwise it would be canceled as a no show.
Todd: If you are getting in very early the next morning like around 6 or 7 in the morning for example, we would note the reservation to let the resort know but you would be paying for a night that you would not be using.
Nancy: We were thinking more like 1:30am.
Todd: Then in that case, we would just note you as a late arrival.
Todd: Now if you booked a stay to arrive on August 19 but didn't plan to actually get there until August 21, then we would have to modify the reservation.
Nancy: If my flight gets canceled and I cannot arrive until next day, do I just call member services and get the reservation modified
Nancy: how late can I do that
Todd: Yes, you would call us up until we close at 7:30 PM ET on the weekdays or 5:30 PM ET on the weekends.
Nancy: day of or day before?
Todd: Ideally the day before but you can also call us in the day of the reservation. This way we can notate the reservation and let the resort know so they do not cancel your reservation.
Nancy: Thanks so much. That is all I need to know.
Todd: You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.
Todd: Thank you for chatting with Member Services and remember to view the latest Membership Magic offerings on the Membership Magic tab. Once you are done with this chat session, please click the word 'close' at the top right of the chat box to end the chat. I would appreciate it if you would take a few moments to provide feedback on the service provided today by completing our survey. Thanks again and have a magical day!
Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club Member Services and have a magical day!

So Pete W. I think you should call or chat with MS and let them know you will be arriving late and give them an approximation.

Here is what MS says:

Nancy: If my flight gets canceled and I cannot arrive until next day, do I just call member services and get the reservation modified
Nancy: how late can I do that
Todd: Yes, you would call us up until we close at 7:30 PM ET on the weekdays or 5:30 PM ET on the weekends.
Nancy: day of or day before?
Todd: Ideally the day before but you can also call us in the day of the reservation. This way we can notate the reservation and let the resort know so they do not cancel your reservation.
So if I am scheduled to leave Chicago at 4:30 pm CT on a Saturday or Sunday, scheduled to arrive in Orlando at 8:00 pm ET and my flight gets canceled at the last minute, since MS is closed at that time and I cannot contact them, my reservation would be cancelled and I would be out all the points used for that reservation? As Wilson Flyer has said several times, that is just wrong. At the very least, DVC needs to have a 24 hour phone number, ideally listed in the reservation confirmation, to handle such situations. (SEE EDIT AT THE BOTTOM)

If my flight was canceled, my first priority would be to work with the airline to get rebooked, so I would miss as few days of my vacation as possible. It does not seem right that I may not have a room when I get there a day or two late. I would hope there would be some leeway that would allow me to call MS the following morning and not have the entire reservation cancelled and all the points forfeited.

Does anyone know, under the current system, if I call MS before 11:00 am ET the next morning is that considered calling the day of the reservation since for a one day reservation check out time would be 11:00 am?

Edited to add: I just looked more closely at my reservation confirmation, and on page 3 it actually does list the address and phone number for the resort. I just called that number at midnight CT and someone answered on the second ring. They told me that was the correct number to call if I was not going to arrive on my scheduled check in date, and that members have until 7:00 am ET to call and avoid having their reservation canceled. Obviously that means members should not wait for MS to open, but should call the resort at the number listed on their confirmation if MS is already closed for the night when they find out they will not be able to arrive on time. I personally do not care if that number is actually a call center.

Last edited:
Last June we were scheduled to arrive in Lax at 10:30am. Due to multiple delays, it looked for a while that we would be spending the night in Salt Lake City. I called the Grand Californian about 7pm afraid they would give our room away. I was told that my points had paid for the room and it would sit empty for the entire week if we didn't show up. We finally landed in LA at 11:30 and made it to the hotel about 1am. Room was waiting for us.

Edited to add: I just looked more closely at my reservation confirmation, and on page 3 it actually does list the address and phone number for the resort. I just called that number at midnight CT and someone answered on the second ring. They told me that was the correct number to call if I was not going to arrive on my scheduled check in date, and that members have until 7:00 am ET to call and avoid having their reservation canceled. Obviously that means members should not wait for MS to open, but should call the resort at the number listed on their confirmation if MS is already closed for the night when they find out they will not be able to arrive on time. I personally do not care if that number is actually a call center.

There was a time when MS was not open past 5:30pm or on either weekend day.

If you had a problem you called the resort.

We actually arrived one morning at 7:30am. We had called several times to give update on our status.

I was very thankful to get into that room at 7:30am and get some rest.

Even though I didn't start the night before in the room, the points were well spent rather than waiting until 4pm or later for checkin if I had cancelled.

Last June we were scheduled to arrive in Lax at 10:30am. Due to multiple delays, it looked for a while that we would be spending the night in Salt Lake City. I called the Grand Californian about 7pm afraid they would give our room away. I was told that my points had paid for the room and it would sit empty for the entire week if we didn't show up. We finally landed in LA at 11:30 and made it to the hotel about 1am. Room was waiting for us.

See? That's been my argument every time this discussion ensues, yet this statement seems to contradict every expert on this board and the rules they've quoted in the past (from somewhere).

My argument is that I don't have a reservation. I own that room for that period. They just put my name on it. It's mine. It's not theirs to give away or to take back at that point. This is why I can't get my arms around this they'll take it back thing and get all warm and fuzzy with it. Hotel room? Yes. Timeshare with ownership? No. Not so much.

So what do you do if you're flying a long way and the flight is canceled last minute, and can't arrive until the 2nd day on the next available flight--is the whole reservation just gone?!? Or can you call MS that day and cancel the arrival night only and save the rest of the reservation?

Been there done that.

You call the resort. They will connect you with the "Real" front desk if you explain what is going on.

You tell them what is happening. When you eventually show up your room is ready and waiting. (In my case it was 7 AM after a flight that turned into a redeye from San Francisco) But you have to call!

They can and will "resell". All hotels do. Even if you prepaid the room for the week, you don't show or call, it's gone! LOL!

I was told that my points had paid for the room and it would sit empty for the entire week if we didn't show up.

That's what I thought also. It doesn't seem right to me that if I use the room, they can give it away. and now with the "direct to room" system, where you don't even go to the front desk to check in, how do they know if the room is being used? I'm sure someone will answer that your Magic Band somehow lets them know when the door's opened. However, I don't trust that system totally-if the notification malfunctions, they might give a room away that's really being used, but the notification system that supposedly tells them when you opened the door just didn't work. This sounds a little scary to me!

However, I don't trust that system totally-if the notification malfunctions, they might give a room away that's really being used, but the notification system that supposedly tells them when you opened the door just didn't work. This sounds a little scary to me!
:rotfl: I always knock before trying to open a hotel room the first time!

I got an idea... One of you who believes that just not showing up will result in your room being available two days late try it and let us know how it works for you.

For the rest of you, CALL because it's probably going to be gone especially if Disney can sell it for $$$ LOL!

I got an idea... One of you who believes that just not showing up will result in your room being available two days late try it and let us know how it works for you.

For the rest of you, CALL because it's probably going to be gone especially if Disney can sell it for $$$ LOL!

It always interests me how people read what they so want to see and reply to and not what people write.

Supposed to fly down to WDW tomorrow morning, but by daughter came down with a low-grade fever (100-101) and flemmy cough a couple of nights ago, and as of my heading to the office this morning, the fever hasn't broken.

If I can push my flights back a couple of days, and let MS know that we won't be checking in until day 3 of our reservation, is that going to cause issues?

[and I know I could just call MS and ask, but the hold time is so damn long...]

Thanks.

Call MS asap.. and let them know the situation....Disney is all about helping people have the best vacation possible... they will do all they can to accomidate

So I gotta ask, and I'm not implying that you should know, but what gives? This contradicts virtually everything that's been posted with regards to this question yet to me, it makes the most sense.

Somebody in the other thread (I know. I need to find it and reference it but I Can't find it since the board upgrade.) posted something in a legal document that basically said it was forfeited but I can't find it now. I never liked it but I accepted it, yet what you posted seems to contradict it directly.

Now I wonder if anybody (here) really knows what the answer is.

So I gotta ask, and I'm not implying that you should know, but what gives? This contradicts virtually everything that's been posted with regards to this question yet to me, it makes the most sense.

Somebody in the other thread (I know. I need to find it and reference it but I Can't find it since the board upgrade.) posted something in a legal document that basically said it was forfeited but I can't find it now. I never liked it but I accepted it, yet what you posted seems to contradict it directly.

Now I wonder if anybody (here) really knows what the answer is.

All I know is what I was told. I called the number on the confirmation for the Grand Californian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter