I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help here - 5 people, trying to get from Boise to FL, cruising to Copenhagen, then flying back to Boise by way of FL. We have the SW cards and I have about 60k left in miles on them. I had 120k but booked us all back on SW once we hit the US. I have us flying to FL on Alaska Air miles, and we do have that card too.

I'm debating Norwegian but if there is any way I can use miles to get us back, I'm game.

Need some help here - 5 people, trying to get from Boise to FL, cruising to Copenhagen, then flying back to Boise by way of FL. We have the SW cards and I have about 60k left in miles on them. I had 120k but booked us all back on SW once we hit the US. I have us flying to FL on Alaska Air miles, and we do have that card too.

I'm debating Norwegian but if there is any way I can use miles to get us back, I'm game.

what kind of points do you have? just SW?

01/15/2017 01/16/2017 Adjustment TRAVEL CREDIT $300/YEAR -$300.00... 10 days after receiving my card... haha. sorry, ill stop bragging... ;)

I think I might have you beat. I used the 2016 credit within 2 weeks of getting the card, and the 2017 credit the day after my December statement closed while I was in England. :smooth:

I did as well but both mine were ailrline gift cards so I didn't accidentally fritter away my travel credit.

Received the decline letter for the sapphire preferred based on too many inquiries. Almost called them again to recon but no way I could meet the minimum spend on 2 cards ($7,000) so I will let sleeping dogs lie.

what kind of points do you have? just SW?

01/15/2017 01/16/2017 Adjustment TRAVEL CREDIT $300/YEAR -$300.00... 10 days after receiving my card... haha. sorry, ill stop bragging... ;)
Just Southwest right now. I did have 50k on Alaska but booked the one way to FL with them.

Teach me your ways, Yoda :D

Just Southwest right now. I did have 50k on Alaska but booked the one way to FL with them.

Teach me your ways, Yoda :D

I'm totally ok with applying for a new card, btw. Especially if it gets me better deals than SW.

im no expert @ Atlantic flights but i did look around to see what around.
AA is probably cheapest. 60k points, $10 in taxes?
Flyblue is probably in 2nd, 50k points but $115 in taxes.
UA ties with 60k with $100 in taxes.

Chase's UR points will earn Skyblue and UA pts. (easiest to earn)
AA may be a little harder.

Id probably get a CSR though. 3x points on travel, will earn u SW and Flyblue points. 50k sign up bonus. Then id probably check out WOW air... its around $500 a person.
Your gonna need at least 250k pts to fly all of ya... might just buy the tickets and earn points from it.

im no expert @ Atlantic flights but i did look around to see what around.
AA is probably cheapest. 60k points, $10 in taxes?
Flyblue is probably in 2nd, 50k points but $115 in taxes.
UA ties with 60k with $100 in taxes.

Chase's UR points will earn Skyblue and UA pts. (easiest to earn)
AA may be a little harder.

Id probably get a CSR though. 3x points on travel, will earn u SW and Flyblue points. 50k sign up bonus. Then id probably check out WOW air... its around $500 a person.
Your gonna need at least 250k pts to fly all of ya... might just buy the tickets and earn points from it.
So far, I can get Norwegian's LowFareplus (which includes a meal, and a free piece of baggage) for about 210/person for the one way, which even WOW can't compete with, but I was worried about economy and long haul with 3 kids. It is a direct 10 hour flight though. Premium/basically business class for Norwegian, is 740/ticket if I am remembering my prices correctly.

CSR intrigues me, because we travel a lot, and with 5 people, that can add up quickly. Hrm. Thanks for your input!

So far, I can get Norwegian's LowFareplus (which includes a meal, and a free piece of baggage) for about 210/person for the one way, which even WOW can't compete with, but I was worried about economy and long haul with 3 kids. It is a direct 10 hour flight though. Premium/basically business class for Norwegian, is 740/ticket if I am remembering my prices correctly.

CSR intrigues me, because we travel a lot, and with 5 people, that can add up quickly. Hrm. Thanks for your input!

If you travel a lot, CSR would be a great card to have. The sign up bonus just dropped from 100K to 50K online, but if you have a Chase branch near you you might stop by to see if you can get pre approval, in which case the 100K bonus is still active.

Secure messaged Chase regarding the Fairmont card that I recently obtained. I wanted to confirm the bonus as I applied through a backdoor link and wasn't sure if they would honor the bonus. This is their response:

Earn 2 Complimentary Nights after you make $3,000 in
purchases within your first 3 months of account opening.
- Earn 1 Complimentary Night each anniversary year that
you make $12,000 in purchases with your card.

Purchases do not include balance transfers, cash advances,
cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign
currency, and money orders
, any checks that access your
account,overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or
fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an
annual fee, if applicable.

Let me confirm, this offer is available to use until
05/08/17.

Does anyone remember Chase using language which states that "cash-like" charges don't count towards minimum spend? I don't MS so no worries there. I'm also happy to hear that I have until MAY to complete minimum spend. I haven't gotten the card yet but will close it later this year.

Tried to sign up for this but got the "we need more time" response. Deciding if I want to mess with calling Chase or just wait and see what happens. I am somewhat concerned because I just got approved for the Chase United card about a week ago, and I think I recall some kind of Chase limit about one card per 30 days?
Were you approved?

In other news, I just read that an AMEX Centurion lounge will be coming to PHL later this year. That's my home airport and we would LOVE to utilize it on the regular, but I'm not so sure that I should pay the $450 annual fee again just for lounge access. I plan to close the Platinum in October and apply for an ED card with no annual fee.

I just used 20,000 CSR points to reserve a luxury category car through Alamo for 8 nights in April through the Chase portal. The same car reservation was about $700 on the Alamo website, with discounts. I'm not sure what the luxury car category actually is, but it was about the same price as a full size, so I'll roll the dice! I'm very happy with the savings, as car rentals have been running so high at spring break.

Maybe this isn't news, but I also reserved a standard room at Boardwalk Inn using CSR points, and it was also a nice savings. Some of the Disney hotels seem to be discounted on Chase. This ended up being about $300/night less than rack rate (about half off), and $100 less per night than the AP rate for our dates. Caribbean Beach and POR were also available as great deals. Chase had no idea how to get my Disney reservation number, but Disney easily looked it up, and I added it to MDE with no problems. Also, the Chase website had standard rooms available, that didn't show with an AP discount on the Disney website.

I didn't need air miles, so for us, this worked out much better than a statement credit. Cancellation policies seem reasonable, too.

My DVC rental came through today! I made a $100 payment with my Barclay card, so fingers crossed it will code as travel and I can redeem ~$500 in points towards it. If not, I'll pay the rest with my CSR and hope it codes as travel for the points - my deposit did originally...

My DVC rental came through today! I made a $100 payment with my Barclay card, so fingers crossed it will code as travel and I can redeem ~$500 in points towards it. If not, I'll pay the rest with my CSR and hope it codes as travel for the points - my deposit did originally...

Can I ask who you're renting thru?

I just used 20,000 CSR points to reserve a luxury category car through Alamo for 8 nights in April through the Chase portal. The same car reservation was about $700 on the Alamo website, with discounts. I'm not sure what the luxury car category actually is, but it was about the same price as a full size, so I'll roll the dice! I'm very happy with the savings, as car rentals have been running so high at spring break.

Maybe this isn't news, but I also reserved a standard room at Boardwalk Inn using CSR points, and it was also a nice savings. Some of the Disney hotels seem to be discounted on Chase. This ended up being about $300/night less than rack rate (about half off), and $100 less per night than the AP rate for our dates. Caribbean Beach and POR were also available as great deals. Chase had no idea how to get my Disney reservation number, but Disney easily looked it up, and I added it to MDE with no problems. Also, the Chase website had standard rooms available, that didn't show with an AP discount on the Disney website.

I didn't need air miles, so for us, this worked out much better than a statement credit. Cancellation policies seem reasonable, too.

This is great information, thanks! We haven't planned a Disney trip in a few years, so I haven't looked on the Chase Portal for WDW hotels, but your experience is very encouraging.

My AMEX saga continues... I've quoted myself with the original details, but DF and I were trying to add each other as AUs for the bonus SPG points. Well, yesterday we got letters in the mail that we had been denied because we had too recent of a request for cards :headache: My bonus points already are showing in my AMEX account, and if they show up in my SPG account when my statement closes this weekend, I'll take it and wash my hands of the whole thing. Maybe wait until they do that promotion again... I would really like to keep one card with the other person as an AU, but I'm not sure I want both of our cards with the fees... thought they've easily made up for it this year with the offers (even though the fee is waived the first year). Decisions, decisions...

Wouldn't it be nice if everything coded the same across cards? ;) Fingers crossed my DVC rental will code as travel with Barclay, because I've got around $500 in points I'd like to use... I'm going to pay $100, see what happens, and then if it doesn't work I'll pay with my CSR, because my deposit did code as travel with the CSR.

I spent around 3 hours working with AMEX customer service last night... What a headache. DF and I each have an SPG card, and we decided to add each other as AUs for the bonus point offer that ended Dec 31st (add additional card and spend $1000, get 2500 starpoints), especially since I don't get to do any churning for awhile. We added each other through the email links on the same night, Dec 23rd, and the cards came on the same day. Neither of us have ever added a user, so I was confused as to why I got an envelope with my name which had a card with my name on it, and same situation for DF. So I chatted with customer service (Dec 29th) and they checked the last 5 digits of the cards and told me that those cards were sent by mistake, that they were tied to the account who's name was on the card (ie, they were just additional cards with the account holder's name, not additional user's), and we could either keep them or cancel them. They said they showed the additional user cards had been shipped on Dec 27th. So we decided to cancel those cards (at this time, we didn't want them).

I went through chat last night because we never received any other cards, and I was suspecting something was wrong. First I was told that I didn't correctly complete the form to add someone (then why did I get a confirmation email?). Finally we figured out (me and the rep) that the rep I chatted with on Dec 29th was wrong, and that the AU cards came in envelopes addressed to the AU (though I couldn't find anything in the paperwork tying them to a certain account - but then again, I'm new to this), and so cancelling them really cancelled the AU cards... So they added DF for me (this was through my account), and got supervisor approval to add the bonus starpoints (and they added them instantly instead of waiting to meet spend :thumbsup2). At the end, I asked how we could fix this on DF's account, and they said to login and chat. Chatting through DF's account just got us several rounds of reps who kept telling us, "you don't have that offer on your account" even when we mentioned it had just been fixed on my account. Finally he called, and got someone who did almost the same thing they did with my account, except we do have to do the spend. 3 hours of my life I won't get back. :faint:

Can I ask who you're renting thru?

DVC-Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter