How old is too old to dress up for characters?

Well on our cruise in a few weeks we are having a viking party and lets just say all 100+ of us have spent a lot of energy getting our costumes together. She won't be alone. My 17 year old niece wants to be Elsa for the frozen deck party.

Last edited:
Never too old...here is my 78 year old MIL on the WBPC.
IMG_2426_zpstpfikg8b.jpg

IMG_2426_zpstpfikg8b.jpg
I believe this is what you call "owning it".

Well on our cruise in a few weeks we are having a viking party and lets just say all 100+ of us have spent a lot of energy getting our costumes together. She won't be alone. My 17 year old niece wants to be Elsa for the frozen deck party.

@lilbuddy88 , i hope you post a group picture upon your return. would really love to see that!

have a lovely time on your cruise!

My 7 year old will be bringing her Cinderella and Anna dresses to wear. I'm encouraging it. They have to grow up too fast these day anyway - I want her to just get to be a little girl for as long as possible.
I hear ya. I have a 7yo as well (also a 4yo). I know the girls will grow up. It just feels like it will be way too soon.

You are never too old to dress how you feel comfortable.
:offtopic:DW and I have dressed up for dinners on DCL including coat/tie for me and DW in a dressy dress every night even though most do not, we enjoy dressing up for ourselves not for others. We have had multiple good comments in the MDR and fellow tablemates stating they had wish they had brought nicer clothes for dinners.
Now I understand this thread is about kids and characters dressing, you know your child best, how they react to comments, and what is best, so go for it and let us see the pictures afterwards.

As others have mentioned you never too old. Only recently I discovered that I really enjoy making and wearing costumes for my cruises, runDisney events and MNSSHP. My passion for costuming has even carried over to friends and family who asks me to help with their costumes. So the way I look at it is if your having fun who cares what anyone else thinks.

I was going to be all smart alecky and say, dead, dead is too old to play dress up on the cruise. Anything younger than that, you are good to go. I am always amazed by the creativity of both the kids and adults when dressing up. And whomever did not see that gorgeous gown Lily James wore to the Cinderella premiere, I would kill for that dress, so darn beautiful.

One of the things I love about "Disney culture" is that people are usually all about keeping the imagination/dreaming/creativity/magic alive. That includes dressing-up. In fact, even though adults can't wear costumes in the parks, there's this whole "thing" where people wear outfits reminiscent of their favorite characters (http://disneybound.tumblr.com/).

To the OP, I'm sorry to hear that happened to your daughter. It's actually a really good opportunity to talk about peer pressure, about how it's important to be true to yourself, and about how sad it is that most of society doesn't value play/fun. I know your daughter is young but I think it's never too early to teach kids critical thinking skills. In this case you could ask, "Why did that girl think that dressing up wasn't ok? Do you enjoy dressing up and why? Where did that girl get messages that having fun like that is baby-ish? Do we agree/disagree? Why? And, Why do you think she said that?" etc.

I'm getting little off topic here, but I like to take advantage of teaching moments :-) It won't get easier as kids get older. Instead of "What's wrong w/ wearing a princess dress?", it'll be "Am I fat?" Or "Should I wear makeup that hides my freckles?" Or whatever. When that happens, the same critical thinking questions can be used ("Where am I getting that message? Do I agree/disagree and why?"). It's good to start these kinds of questions now.

One of the things I love about "Disney culture" is that people are usually all about keeping the imagination/dreaming/creativity/magic alive. That includes dressing-up. In fact, even though adults can't wear costumes in the parks, there's this whole "thing" where people wear outfits reminiscent of their favorite characters (http://disneybound.tumblr.com/).

Where did you find this website??? It looks awesome! I have half of the outfits in my closet already. This is why I love this site.

I saw kids older than 12 dressed up.. adults dress up... ignore the bratty comment and have fun! people don't think twice when it comes to cruising.. I agree with PP that she was prob jealous that your DD was beautiful

I volunteer at a Senior Center in my town. I dress up every year for Halloween. At 41 years old I'm not stopping anytime soon. I love dressing up and whenever I can get enough money to take a cruise I will be bringing my pirate costume. At the Senior Center I have been a fairy, a baby doll, Holly Hobby and many other things. The seniors at the Senior Center dress up too and some of them are in their 90's. Tell your little girl about the people who go on DCL who dress up too. She'll be a beautiful princess I'm sure. Have a great cruise. :D

Where did you find this website??? It looks awesome! I have half of the outfits in my closet already. This is why I love this site.

Disneybounding has been blowing up lately. I have friends from all over the world who love to do it. They get a big kick out of it when somebody recognizes what they've done. I love the idea. I need to do a Smee for my next cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter