• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Much For Delivery Tip?

Do you really think 44.25 hr is a lot of money for an owner of a delivery company. What about all the overhead they have. Also how do you know the amount of deliveries a day they are doing. Maybe it's slow and they only do 2 deliveries.

You really don't understand all the work these guys do to deliver your items to your home. You pay a lot of money for these items, what's a few bucks more to show appreciation on bringing the items to your home, hooking them up, hauling away the old stuff and cleaning up afterwards. Makes them feel better about themselves. A lot better than a ¢.25 bottle of water.

The only overhead they have is their truck, fuel and insurance and they get 57.5 cents per mile, the IRS allowance, in compensation for that. Or he can claim the mileage as income, if his cost exceeds 57.5 cents a mile, and deduct the actual cost from his taxes. I only know what my wife's nephew says the norm is for his store. Each crew averages 12 a day. Sure, their may be days they only do two, but then there must be days they do more. These guys wouldn't do it if it wasn't a decent way to make a living.

The only overhead they have is their truck, fuel and insurance and they get 57.5 cents per mile, the IRS allowance, in compensation for that. Or he can claim the mileage as income, if his cost exceeds 57.5 cents a mile, and deduct the actual cost from his taxes. I only know what my wife's nephew says the norm is for his store. Each crew averages 12 a day. Sure, their may be days they only do two, but then there must be days they do more. These guys wouldn't do it if it wasn't a decent way to make a living.
You think that's all they have for overhead....haha. They also have storage fees, taxes, insurance has to be high since they are transporting expensive items, maintenance, health insurance, licenses, etc.

Do you really think 44.25 hr is a lot of money for an owner of a delivery company. What about all the overhead they have. Also how do you know the amount of deliveries a day they are doing. Maybe it's slow and they only do 2 deliveries.

You really don't understand all the work these guys do to deliver your items to your home. You pay a lot of money for these items, what's a few bucks more to show appreciation on bringing the items to your home, hooking them up, hauling away the old stuff and cleaning up afterwards. Makes them feel better about themselves. A lot better than a ¢.25 bottle of water.
OK, you've made your position pretty clear. But here's a question: Who DON'T you tip? The cable guy? A plumber you hire to repair a leaky pipe? The carpet or furnace duct cleaning people? Your babysitter or your kid's piano teacher? Geeks to Go, if you need help with your computer? All of these people come to your house to perform a service you have paid for and are receiving whatever wages the market dictates for doing so. I manage a team of Warranty Technicians for a new home builder. They are all paid salary; between $45,000 and $60,000 based on tenure. They spend all day, every day going from home to home performing various repairs and assisting with maintenance. In some cases, they make more money than the people they're serving. It would never cross any of their minds to expect a tip, nor do I imagine very many homeowners feel obliged to give them one. We don't have an official policy, but if it ever came to our attention that the Techs were being offered or accepting tips we would enact an "NO TIPPING" policy.

:confused3Honestly, I'm just wondering where and how you decide who to tip. It's great to have a generous spirit and you can certainly do whatever you want with your money. But I think you're out of line to be insisting that people who don't tip everybody who crosses their path are committing some sort of error. And as for the bolded, I'm completely baffled by whatever it is you're implying here. :confused:

ETA: And your point in post #42 directly above is a red herring. Any business owner or service provider is responsible to price his goods/services appropriately in order to run a viable operation. It is ABSOLUTELY not up to the consumer to have to take any of that into account. You buy something from someone, you pay what they ask, they make what they make - period, the end.

Last edited:
OK, you've made your position pretty clear. But here's a question: Who DON'T you tip? The cable guy? A plumber you hire to repair a leaky pipe? The carpet or furnace duct cleaning people? Your babysitter or your kid's piano teacher? Geeks to Go, if you need help with your computer? All of these people come to your house to perform a service you have paid for and are receiving whatever wages the market dictates for doing so. I manage a team of Warranty Technicians for a new home builder. They are all paid salary; between $45,000 and $60,000 based on tenure. They spend all day, every day going from home to home performing various repairs and assisting with maintenance. In some cases, they make more money than the people they're serving. It would never cross any of their minds to expect a tip, nor do I imagine very many homeowners feel obliged to give them one. We don't have an official policy, but if it ever came to our attention that the Techs were being offered or accepting tips we would enact an "NO TIPPING" policy.

:confused3Honestly, I'm just wondering where and how you decide who to tip. It's great to have a generous spirit and you can certainly do whatever you want with your money. But I think you're out of line to be insisting that people who don't tip everybody who crosses their path are committing some sort of error. And as for the bolded, I'm completely baffled by whatever it is you're implying here. :confused:

ETA: And your point in post #42 directly above is a red herring. Any business owner or service provider is responsible to price his goods/services appropriately in order to run a viable operation. It is ABSOLUTELY not up to the consumer to have to take any of that into account. You buy something from someone, you pay what they ask, they make what they make - period, the end.
Well let's see. Who DON'T I tip :sad2:. Let's see. I just a ton of work done to my home (kitchen, floors, windows and doors, roof, remodeled the bathrooms and put an addition on to the home with a new bathroom along with misc things like paint and some drywall work. I did not tip any of them since I paid a lot of money for their services. I won't tip ups or fed ex but will give a tip at the end of the year to the mailman. Also regarding the delivery of the items from lowes. I paid very little for delivery to have 2 truckloads of items to be delivered, unloaded, inspected all in 90 degree weather. Believe me it was not easy lifting these huge windows and doors along with all the appliances. I felt obligated to give them something and after spending all that money at the store, what is an extra $100. That's just the way I was raised to be appreciative and to be generous to others.

Well let's see. Who DON'T I tip :sad2:. Let's see. I just a ton of work done to my home (kitchen, floors, windows and doors, roof, remodeled the bathrooms and put an addition on to the home with a new bathroom along with misc things like paint and some drywall work. I did not tip any of them since I paid a lot of money for their services. I won't tip ups or fed ex but will give a tip at the end of the year to the mailman. Also regarding the delivery of the items from lowes. I paid very little for delivery to have 2 truckloads of items to be delivered, unloaded, inspected all in 90 degree weather. Believe me it was not easy lifting these huge windows and doors along with all the appliances. I felt obligated to give them something and after spending all that money at the store, what is an extra $100. That's just the way I was raised to be appreciative and to be generous to others.

There is nothing wrong with tipping if you want. It is physical labor. My point is, it isn't expected or common. But this isn't a minimum wage job, this is a job the required them to invest $10's of thousands of dollar in for their trucks. I sure wouldn't invest $10s of thousands of dollars in a job if the pay was so low that I needed to supplement it with tips.

In thinking about this, I'm sure my mindset to carefully evaluate who I tip has it's roots going back to when I was working minimum wage jobs in non-tipped positions next to people making the exact same minimum wage but getting several dollars an hour more in tips, often for less work than I was going. I guess I relate more to the non-tipped minimum wage earner.

Seems a little inconsistent, but again, it's your system - as long as you understand it, I guess it's working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter