Healthy Living from the INSIDE OUT - May 2016 WISH Challenge

Let's see. . . I can't woo-hoo my weight; for reasons I'm not sure, it seems stagnant.

But I can woo-hoo the coming of summer! We have had some great weather and the community pool will be opening this weekend. I bought my daughter some new tops yesterday and two new swimsuits to get ready for summer. I need a new swimsuit as well, but despite the "uggh" feeling that brings on, at least it's because last year's is too big!

Here's a question for the ladies - what do you think about swim shorts or boy shorts for a woman over 40? I know true board shorts are for your teens and twenties (or if you surf), but what about regular swim shorts? I'm just not sure if I'd look ridiculous.

My boys also had soccer tryouts (first time for the younger) and both made the top teams for their club; one was expected (he's a natural athlete), the other was hard earned (he's moved up from the C team to the B team the A team over the past 4 years). I'm proud of them both and glad tryouts are over. They are always hard for me as I prepare for all the various outcomes and how to address each (this year was the best of both worlds - I was concerned that my younger would make the A team and my older the B team - thinking about how to address that situation was so uncomfortable.) Woo-hoo to avoiding that!

Here's a question for the ladies - what do you think about swim shorts or boy shorts for a woman over 40? I know true board shorts are for your teens and twenties (or if you surf), but what about regular swim shorts? I'm just not sure if I'd look ridiculous.

My opinion: Wear what YOU feel comfortable in. Ignore everyone else. :goodvibes As long as your clothing is decent and covers everything that needs to be covered (and there is no reason why swim shorts would be indecent - unlike my bathing suit wardrobe malfunction at the pool on Sunday which was not a big issue as in Germany topless bathing is not totally out of the question anyway) it will be fine.

But even besides this: In my opinion we 40-year-olds of today are dressing far younger than our grandparent's generation anyway. So, why not wear something that you find a bit youthful. I only find it emberassing when our age group dresses in clothing that is designed to show off young, beautiful bodies. To me swim shorts sound like something very functional and sensible. And if you feel comfortable in them, then I can't see anything wrong.

My opinion: Wear what YOU feel comfortable in. Ignore everyone else. .

Comfortable in and swimwear just don't go together in my opinion! i have been bmi 20 and bmi 24.9 (haha) and never felt comfortable before I get there! Once I am at the beach/pool whatever I can see how people come in different shape and size and relax.

I am not sure what my whoo hoo is! I made my draft plan for WDW october 2016 - does this count? I want to fit in house of blues somewhere

It's pretty - right?

wdw%202-1_zpse0ivrmg4.png

Last edited:
Good Morning!

Not a big deal to me at all @DisPup75 but I reported my results in post #574, I am at 74%. I usually miss reporting around the 3rd week, so I actually kept up this time:)

WooHoos for this week:

1) My running coach teaches my strength class on Mondays. He asked me Monday if I have lost weight, because I look like I am getting very lean:) I replied I hadn't but I am trying, and he said it must be the addition of muscle mass because I definitely look a lot leaner:)

2) The scale did finally budge below 135. Not much, only to 134, but every time I got to 135 I'd bounce right back to 136-138. I am hoping to use both the fact other people think I look like I've lost more, and the fact the scale is actually moving after 6 stubborn months as motivation that sticking with my plan is going to get me where I want this time. I am running better and feeling better, even sleeping better.

3) Just got back from a great 6 mile run:) It was hot, gotta love New England 20 degree temperature swings, but I felt fantastic the whole time, even though I mapped out a super hilly route!

Also MFP doesn't recalculate automatically your goals. I have it set up on maintenance and when I did recalculate I am down 60 calories daily already

How do you get it to recalculate your calorie goal? I've lost weight and had noticed it really wasn't adjusting my calories. I tried searching on the website, but must be looking in the wrong places.

Man, Wednesday already? I should have done something woohoo-able... I'm going to have to dig deep.

I've had something going on with my body the past few days and have actually emailed my doctor instead of sticking my head in the sand and pretending everything is OK. That's kind of an exception for me as I'm pretty adept at practicing avoidance.

I added Tuesday as a day off and so have an extra long holiday weekend, and a day at home after being down at the beach... The beach, that's woohoo-able. I have my October Texas tour booked and am already looking forward to it... It sounds like it will exactly hit the spot the April trip didn't.

Happy Wednesday everyone.

Last edited:
Happy Wednesday!

This past week has been somewhat eventful. Our middle DD graduated from high school on Friday night and we had a small gathering at the local mexican restaurant (her favorite in town) afterwards. Her party is June 4th, so I've still got a little time to prepare for it.

Then Saturday we left for a family wedding about 3 hours from home. The wedding was beautiful and a lot of extended family stayed overnight at a Hampton Inn, so the kids all got to swim and we visited until about 1 am in the lobby. It was a fun weekend!

Weight wise, today was my official weigh-in day (even though I step on the scales almost every morning) and I was down 3 pounds! The last couple of weeks have not been so great, so I was happy to see the loss (officially)! We leave for Hawaii on June 16th, so I have 3 weeks to lose a little more. The original goal I set when I started (February 16th) was to get 7 pounds lower than I am right now, so there is at least a chance. After last week, I figured there was no way, but if I really work at it, I think I can do the 7 pounds in 3 weeks!

Woohoo Wednesday. I took a peek at the scale this morning almost back down to my May 14th low. .3 away so hopefully I'll have a new lowest for this challenge by Friday if my TOM doesn't come to interfere. The past weekend and this week have not been going quite as well as I planned but not too bad either.

Yesterday I was productive at home a lot. Still have a lot to get done this morning on my list. I finished about half of it though. I'll try to catch up more on a break from housework a little bit later.

Finally got some pics to load to my Flickr so I could share from our vacation:

My daughter with the beach homes she would like to live in. :)
26968973850_bdaaf90260_z.jpg

And when she was walking in the waves.
26968975600_5c25cd1c82_z.jpg

Little birdies I was watching them run up to the edge of the water grab something(probably a little crab or something) and then run as fast as their little legs could away from the crashing wave. It was funny and cute.
26969150980_8f2d05b2c6.jpg

How do you get it to recalculate your calorie goal? I've lost weight and had noticed it really wasn't adjusting my calories. I tried searching on the website, but must be looking in the wrong places.

I did it on the app
go to goals
go to weekly goals
you get pop up !are you sure, this will calculate your nutrients goals"
once I get my calorie totals I go and adjust the macronutrient % manually

get rid of food and wine
move thunder mountain, splash mountain near Amarica, move Everest and the trail near China or Japan, add country Afica with Kilimanjaro, move all the good photographers from HS

you know what. It will be too big. Lets leave them as they are!

You mean add Africa country to Epcot?? Yeah I'd agree but hard to represent all the African countries in on section but it would be neat to have its own spot with many of the larger cultures within the area. The music and dances are so fun to watch. And the color they bring to wardrobe can be awesome.

I would really like Mickey's Toon Town to come back at WDW. I loved that place when I went when I was younger. I missed seeing it again by maybe a year. I also miss seeing the characters walking around. I understand why they needed to change it but I liked running around trying to find them as a kid.

It left? I thought it was still there in 2009. We didn't do too much character stuff. My daughter isn't big on meeting them. She met Mickey at 2 but that was scary for her. That was 2005 so I thought it was around but characters weren't out much only at designated spots.

I'm so sorry for the continued radio silence. I've continued to be unbelievably swamped at work and just simply haven't had a free moment for you good people. Currently just alternating between work and sleep right now. I'm pretty sure neither my husband nor my dog remembers what I look like. The cat still loves me though. She greeted me at the door when I stumbled in from the office at 2:00 a.m. last night while the other two just snored away.

Congratulations @courtneybeth! You look amazing, happy, and accomplished. :)

I've got lots of other catching up to do but I'm going to stick with just a question for the weekend for now.

QOTW - May 21/22

We are closing in on the home stretch of May now! With 10 days left in the month, what are you going to do to make it over the finish line in style? Any changes in goals, plans, or routine? Or are you happily motoring along in auto pilot?

Bonus question: how are you going to replenish yourself on Sunday for the week ahead?

Well after last weeks gains(and or water retention) I started bumping up the length of my cardio slowly adding 5 minutes and then decided to just go to an hour the last few. Finally got my pace increased to fully 3.0 I tried a couple intervals with 3.2 since I was able to walk at 3.0 all but my 5 minute warm up period. But that would seem to tire my legs and make me want to reduce on intervals and I was happy that my legs were good to go at 3.0 the duration so I finished out just 3.0 steady. I'll add the intervals with speed increases soon. It won't be long for me to be 3 miles I was just shy last night in my hour. I think tonight's will be broken into two 30 minutes. My friend mentioned maybe 30 treadmill and doing machines(strength) and I though maybe I'll finish my other mile and half afterwards but she can leave if need be. I just really dug in instead of pitty partying on the gain. And since today I'm already .3 from the low when I left for California on 14th I know it's working. :) Even if my water retention comes back due to my ladies cycle.

Weekly check-in:

It's been a pretty crazy week with my daughter's birthday and the end of school. I also signed up for my first 10K (next Saturday) and did my first outdoor practice run yesterday.

My numbers are not pretty - only lost 1.5 lbs this week. It would be one thing if I ate bad and didn't work out, but that wasn't the case. Just one of those weeks I guess. It's the worst week numbers wise I have had since I started.

Started the month at 259 and the goal was to lose 14 lbs. I'm currently at 249.5 lbs which is 68% of my goal. Gonna need some major help to make my goal this month!

Great progress. I was so excited to find out about the zombie 5K here in Phoenix only to find out they canceled/ended it after 7 years. My daughter and I were excited to participate. We will wait for the color runs and glow runs though I will likely be walking most if not all.

Hi friends!! I promised to return and here I am! I have gotten a lot accomplished this weekend and I'm feeling good about the week ahead.... plus I went out to eat with my DH and parents last night (their treat as an anniversary gift to DH and I) and I tracked my meal when I got home and it was MUCH lighter than I anticipated and I still had more than enough SP left for a light beer to top off the night! I had prepped the start of a batch of red, white, and green chicken chili to eat with my parents last night, but since they took us out, we are having it for dinner tonight instead (DS is out with his girlfriend and her family, so I won't need to feed him). And I prepped a big batch of my "very veggie chili" and we will have that Thursday night. Tomorrow night will be our meatless Monday (forgot to buy tofu so it will either be eggs or a quinoa stew), Tuesday night will be meatballs in the crockpot for the men (if they are home), and Wednesday night will be confetti spaghetti squash. I also tore apart 4 rotisserie chickens from the markdown rack and broke them into 5 oz servings and then froze the portions to bring to DD on my next visit. My Mom brought fresh rhubard, but I'm not sure I'll get to it tonight.... but I definitely want to make a low cal/low carb crumble and some rhubarb sauce for yogurt. Anyone else spend some time doing food prep this weekend?

Prom was last night and DS and his girl looked adorable.... she is super cute and tiny (DS is 6'1") so they make a bit of an odd couple, but they are just two peas in a pod and I'm sure they had a great time. I'll ask him if I can share pictures later. Anyhow, they are on the robotics team together and their robotics team theme is the Wizard of Oz.... DS has played the Tin Man for the past 4 years and his girlfriend has played Dorothy for the past 2 years (she is only a sophomore) so she put on her "ruby slippers" (red Keds) and he put on his TinMan funnel hat for a few pictures.... it was adorable!

I've been weeding and doing yard work today but the ticks are just crazy! Final count for today ( after I found one crawling on my bra in the hamper), was 6 !! Thankfully only 1 was a deer tick... the rest were the standard brown dog tick... yucky but not disease carrying, thank heavens. Also weeded by the culvert where our resident porcupine lives and ended up grabbing a handful of leaves/weeds that contained a discarded quill and got it right in the tip of a finger.... OUCH! Combine that with the black flies, the bees, and the poison ivy and I feel lucky to have finished the day fairly unscathed! :scared: Showered and scrubbed to be sure I got all of the ticks and I am feeling relaxed and clean and and I may even read for a few minutes tonight (after I fold the three loads of clean laundry that are waiting and plan my outfit for work tomorrow).

I'll be back in the a.m.!................................P

Not many here. Out where my friend lives they see ticks though. I'm cursed with the arachnids. The black widows at least have the decency to stay outside the scorpions don't care. Bastards.

QOTW - May 24

View attachment 170744

It's Mood Monday!!! I was going to save her for the end but I just couldn't. Today we are going to celebrate Sadness. Or at least talk about how she fits into our lives are our quest for healthy minds and bodies in both good ways and bad.

I've actually blocked off time on my calendar tomorrow morning to post our Week 3 results. So if you don't have them in yet, you've goth one more day!

I think like in the movie it fits our lives quite prominently even if we don't feel we are sad that often it's there. And then there is tender happy sad too.

Sadness affects me a lot these days - as the school year comes to a close, and another Disney vacation approaches - it's mostly in the form of nostalgia. Where did my babies go? How can these kids be so big? How can this one be moving to junior high? Disney without a stroller (first time this year)? How is that possible? That kind of thing.

I think sadness fits into my quest for a healthy mind and body because I have sad memories of being larger (especially as vacation approaches, since it was my proverbial "rock bottom" - tight plane seats, tight ride seats, tight dining room chairs on the cruise, very painful and swollen feet and ankles after all the walking). Those sad memories will hopefully power me through my journey as much as the joy I feel when I feel I achieve a new fitness or weight loss milestone.

I know that nostalgia too. I can't believe my baby starts 8th next year. I want to get her in a few more trips before she feels its not cool to hang out with me doing theme parks and stuff. I rode the rollercoaster with her in San Diego though I'm not sure how I actually fit it was tight and I was squished but I did it. Disney without strollers is a thing of past. Since I only got to one child, my 2nd trip since since she was born was stroller free. My friend had one for her 3 year old. My daughter age 2 trip was nearly able to be stroller free. She napped briefly in afternoon and then was falling asleep at night as we waited for fireworks but I think she ended up staying up until the ride back to my dad's. She walked a good portion. She was a good toddler really. She didn't roam or wander off. The umbrella stroller was enough but I kinda wish it was taller.

Joy is now the emotion as the problem was a pipe leading out of the water heater and not the water heater itself. Cost to fix was only $175.

Now I can run and take a shower! Woo Hoo!

Glad it was cheaper. I love when it's a good surprise. I thought my engine was going out not long ago and my brother found it was a hose we replaced for a few bucks. Haven't ordered the actual part so the auto parts store bulk hose working good for now. We are constantly in state of no propane for hot showers. We've gotten good at cleaning up in a bowl of water we get from from the hot portion of the water cooler. LOL But we also fill a little 30 gallon tank we use for the grill too. They only deliver propane on Mondays so its likely we have a wait on times it runs out.

QOTD - May 24

View attachment 170912

What is your baseline? On days where life hands you lemons (and there is no sugar, sugar free substitute, tea, water, or anything else with which you would put lemon handy) what are your bare minimum requirements for having a "successful" day? Do you ease up on your plan? Pat yourself on the back for a ten minute walk and a glass of water? Rely on the healthy habits that you do naturally without a second thought? Share your favorite coping strategies here!

Sometimes I ease up on plans. I'm pretty flexible and relaxed by nature. I mean we NEVER even plan Disney park trips. It is left to general take it as it comes. Sometimes I know I need to firm up on stuff and I've really been working on doing that this month. It is easy for me to go into anxiety mode and sometimes the relaxing up avoids that. But I think balance in all is a good key.

Good Wednesday morning friends!! As promised, I have made it here this morning, but only long enough to say hello! Breakfast is consumed and cleaned up, lunches are packed, load of laundry is on the clothesline and I am ready to dash in 10 minutes or less. Just waiting to make sure that DS gets out the door on time.

It is supposed to be a HOT one here today!! I say BRING IT ON!! I am tired of being cold!! Predicted temps up toward 88°F sounds GREAT to me! The biggest drawback is that it will be HOT working out in the yard and for a walk after school today AND at this point in the year our school heats up pretty quickly and does NOT cool down as easily (New England public school don't generally have a/c). So if we get hot weather the last few weeks of school it can make things pretty miserable.

Still feeling a bit "fluffy" this week, but I have been eating SPOT ON, including the entire weekend (no splurge days/meals), so I am keeping my fingers crossed to lose what I gained last week and still have a shot to hit my goal this month without having to take any crazy measures like going extreme low carb (which works, but it is miserable).

Gotta dash! Hoping to have a few minutes during testing today to pop on and answer yesterday's QOTD and I'll be thinking about my "woohoo" for today as well!..................P

Just 88. LOL I'd love for that. Our 90s are here to stay I think. Even some 100s usually by now its mostly 100s as high but we are still cooling off at night and that is great.
QOTD - May 25

View attachment 171026

It's woohoo Wednesday!!!!!!

Whether you woke up in the castle suite married to Prince or Princess Charming, with a billion Disney dollars in your wallet, and a BMI of 20, or you just woke up and said, "at least Tuesday is finally over," I know you have something to woohoo about!

Well I shared my woohoo already about the weight being down so far this week. :) But also my pace increase mentioned above. :) So at least two right there.

Let's see. . . I can't woo-hoo my weight; for reasons I'm not sure, it seems stagnant.

But I can woo-hoo the coming of summer! We have had some great weather and the community pool will be opening this weekend. I bought my daughter some new tops yesterday and two new swimsuits to get ready for summer. I need a new swimsuit as well, but despite the "uggh" feeling that brings on, at least it's because last year's is too big!

My boys also had soccer tryouts (first time for the younger) and both made the top teams for their club; one was expected (he's a natural athlete), the other was hard earned (he's moved up from the C team to the B team the A team over the past 4 years). I'm proud of them both and glad tryouts are over. They are always hard for me as I prepare for all the various outcomes and how to address each (this year was the best of both worlds - I was concerned that my younger would make the A team and my older the B team - thinking about how to address that situation was so uncomfortable.) Woo-hoo to avoiding that!

I've been using swim shorts I got at Walmart(Catalina I think i the brand) for years. They are stretched from bigger year and fall off I've been pinning them up lol I almost bought a new pair before we left for california. I think I may if we swim as much as we did in previous years. But overall I'm thinking I'll wait a bit longer. I have a one piece I wear under but I'm wanting to either get a tankini top and bottom to wear under the new shorts I pick. I'm waiting for the right length and fit to be found.

My opinion: Wear what YOU feel comfortable in. Ignore everyone else. :goodvibes As long as your clothing is decent and covers everything that needs to be covered (and there is no reason why swim shorts would be indecent - unlike my bathing suit wardrobe malfunction at the pool on Sunday which was not a big issue as in Germany topless bathing is not totally out of the question anyway) it will be fine.

But even besides this: In my opinion we 40-year-olds of today are dressing far younger than our grandparent's generation anyway. So, why not wear something that you find a bit youthful. I only find it emberassing when our age group dresses in clothing that is designed to show off young, beautiful bodies. To me swim shorts sound like something very functional and sensible. And if you feel comfortable in them, then I can't see anything wrong.

I agree wear what is comfy. :)

I see someone answered but yeah MFP recommends recalculating every 10 lbs lost.

I did it on the app
go to goals
go to weekly goals
you get pop up !are you sure, this will calculate your nutrients goals"
once I get my calorie totals I go and adjust the macronutrient % manually

I see someone answered but yeah MFP recommends recalculating every 10 lbs lost.

Thank you! I'm not sure when (or if) I've recalculated since I've been logging. But, my calorie goal for the day dropped by 130 calories. I'm surprised I've been losing at all! I do tend to overestimate the calories in foods that I'm not 100% sure about, so I guess that's been helping!

I swear I'm in la-la land sometimes!

You mean add Africa country to Epcot?? Yeah I'd agree but hard to represent all the African countries in on section but it would be neat to have its own spot with many of the larger cultures within the area. The music and dances are so fun to watch. And the color they bring to wardrobe can be awesome.

May be Tanzania so Kilimanjaro make sense? I kind of change my mind about that thought, I prefer the parks as they are. Epcot is big enough as it is

Last edited:
@Zoesmama03 - Awesome pictures! It looks so peaceful, and your daughter is beautiful!

Today's WooHoo Wednesday:
I finally got my passport pictures taken! It's been on my to-do list for months, but every time I go to get it done, there's nobody in the photo area, and I'm afraid to ask the cashiers to track someone down. But today I went in, asked a cashier about it, and she pulled over someone to do the picture. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. Now I just have to fill out the form, write the check, dig up my current passport (which I actually think is on my desk), and mail it all in. Hopefully I'll be allowed out of the country within the next few months! (Not that I have plans to leave the country, but I have two cousins who live internationally who are both seriously dating guys, so you never know when there will be a wedding to attend)
I rewarded myself with a grande coffee at Starbucks (I usually get a tall). Since I went a little (very) off track yesterday, I stuck to plain coffee (with milk) instead of a latte, but still ... more coffee than previously planned is a nice reward.

Woohoo's:

- My summer break has officially started!

- My kids had their last day today, so now I have some company for the rest of the summer.

- The last 4 days have been kind scale wise - only 1 lb from my May goal. I should be able to drop that if I do my 10K on Saturday.

- I joined a local gym this morning.

Boohoo:

- I went out and ran my last 10k practice yesterday and I did something to my calf. It doesn't really hurt, just feels a little uncomfortable and tight. The road I was running on had a slope/crown and I feel like that's why my calf is acting up. I've decided I'm not going to do any activity other than walking until Saturday's race (weight loss exercise is on a break) and hope it feels well enough to run... if not, I'll just have to sit it out. It feels a little better today so hopefully it will get better by Saturday.

I know I've been AWOL this month, but is it ok if I share some woohoos today??

1. I started a part time job this week! Today was my second day but my first actual training shift, and while my anxiety is keeping me from being super over the moon excited right now, I'm really happy about it so far. It's a bakery <3, the co-workers I've met so far all seem to be SO so nice, and it's part time which will allow me to make enough money to hopefully get ahead on some bills but still give me some flexibility to hopefully keep my shop open at the same time.
  2. That also means Disney is a definite for October! We even found a room discount for our dates so we switched for All Star Music with 2 double beds to Pop with a king bed for $30 less. Yay!
  3. My PT job has some leniency with hair colors, so I finally get to color my hair the fun crazy colors I've always wanted it to be but could never have because "professional adult". LOL. It's the little things sometimes, y'all.

My woohoos this week - I got a tucker house breakfast for the jungle book night time show. We also finalized everything. We leave for disney in 8 days.

One other woohoo is today we had my son's 4th grade farewell party with his school. We have been planning it all year. It went great and I haven't cried yet. We still have the last day of school for that. We will see how it goes.

@Zoesmama03 the Toon Town at WDW was replaced with New Fantasy Land. I think Disneyland still has one but I don't know that for sure.

What year though? Because I thought it was still there in 2009. But I could be wrong. I didn't even spend but maybe half the day there. :( Had taken my then boyfriend and his exBIL and his ex BIL had special needs and was getting agitated. I should have sent them home in my car and rode home with my friend. But hind sight. :( How sad that it ended.

What year though? Because I thought it was still there in 2009. But I could be wrong. I didn't even spend but maybe half the day there. :( Had taken my then boyfriend and his exBIL and his ex BIL had special needs and was getting agitated. I should have sent them home in my car and rode home with my friend. But hind sight. :( How sad that it ended.

2009 was the last year for it, and I think 2008 was the last full year for it. NFL construction started in 2009 and ended in 2014 when 7DMT was complete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter