HalloweenTime at DLR Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link to this Superthread, Sherry! Can't wait til the dates are released!

You're very welcome! You're the one getting Halloween party tickets for a friend, correct? I definitely think that we should be getting the info sometime between now and 4th of July-ish. I can't see that Disney would want us to wait much longer than that for them to announce all the info, unless they were planning to put the tickets on sale later than usual. If the tickets, for some weird reason, are going on sale later than they normally would, then there could be a later announcement -- but let's hope that doesn't happen!

Hey there. Thanking you all for your advice, I am excited to say that we've decided to try the Halloween Party. I was now hoping all you experts could offer me some costume advice. We are very boring here down under and adults never get the fun of dressing up. Now, I don't want to pack a heap of stuff for it but I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to create something fun and simple so I feel part of it. My daughter wants to go as Mulan, which I have covered! My son is perhaps going pirate. He has a costume, but I saw from a couple of years back they had pirate make overs near Big Thunder Ranch area, does anyone know if they still do it? And, bigger treat bags I have heard is suggested, so 1 backpack for a family of 4 or more?!! haha - I am very glad I am flying with Hawaiian this year we get 2 x 32kg baggage allowance per person, so I can bring home lots of candy if necessary :rotfl:

Meemoo -- Pirates League was definitely still taking place at the Halloween Carnival last year. In fact, mummabear can fill you in on how it worked.

Yes, you can either bring or buy larger bags if you want more candy. The bags that are handed out are rather small -- but if you don't want a lot of candy they may be enough. If you buy tote bags at DLR, there are cheaper ones that run close to $5.00, and the ones that light up and twinkle at night cost closer to $10.00.

Kilala and Janet/mom2rtk can probably help with the costume questions.

I'm hoping you really enjoy the party!

I picked up some red w/ white polka dot fabric to make a skirt and a black shirt. I will wear the skirt over black leggings and top off with Minnie ears. Nice and easy Minnie costume.

I picked up some red w/ white polka dot fabric to make a skirt and a black shirt. I will wear the skirt over black leggings and top off with Minnie ears. Nice and easy Minnie costume.
That does sound lovely - and easy if I can find someone crafty to make my skirt for me :P

Hey there. Thanking you all for your advice, I am excited to say that we've decided to try the Halloween Party. I was now hoping all you experts could offer me some costume advice. We are very boring here down under and adults never get the fun of dressing up. Now, I don't want to pack a heap of stuff for it but I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to create something fun and simple so I feel part of it. My daughter wants to go as Mulan, which I have covered! My son is perhaps going pirate. He has a costume, but I saw from a couple of years back they had pirate make overs near Big Thunder Ranch area, does anyone know if they still do it? And, bigger treat bags I have heard is suggested, so 1 backpack for a family of 4 or more?!! haha - I am very glad I am flying with Hawaiian this year we get 2 x 32kg baggage allowance per person, so I can bring home lots of candy if necessary :rotfl:
I know what you mean. We are doing 1 MNSSHP on 11/1 (and a 2nd if I can talk on 10/31 if I can convince DH) plus SW on Halloween Day and if I get my way and the stars align then MHP on 10/29, there are 5 of us coming from NZ and I am trying to work out what to go as that doesn't cost too much and isn't too cumbersome to take. We have 3 girls who will be 6,4 and almost 2.
I am thinking of Peter (DD6 already has the costume) Tink (DD4 has wings and a skirt) plus Hook (DH) Smee (Me) and Tick Tock (DD1) or Dug (DD6), Kevin (DD4), Russell (DD1) and DH & I would be carl and ellie otherwise the 5 emotions from Inside Out if I can convince any of us to be Fear and Sadness.
DH on the otherhand just wants the kids to dress up (I may have to accept this as he is already sucking up attending the parties)

I know what you mean. We are doing 1 MNSSHP on 11/1 (and a 2nd if I can talk on 10/31 if I can convince DH) plus SW on Halloween Day and if I get my way and the stars align then MHP on 10/29, there are 5 of us coming from NZ and I am trying to work out what to go as that doesn't cost too much and isn't too cumbersome to take. We have 3 girls who will be 6,4 and almost 2.
I am thinking of Peter (DD6 already has the costume) Tink (DD4 has wings and a skirt) plus Hook (DH) Smee (Me) and Tick Tock (DD1) or Dug (DD6), Kevin (DD4), Russell (DD1) and DH & I would be carl and ellie otherwise the 5 emotions from Inside Out if I can convince any of us to be Fear and Sadness.
DH on the otherhand just wants the kids to dress up (I may have to accept this as he is already sucking up attending the parties)

Oh goodness, sounds just like my DH. I'm lucky to get him to attend, no way he will dress up. I told him I will buy him one of those 'Grumpy' shirts - Grumpy 100% guaranteed or something! I think what he doesn't realize is he will probably be one of the only ones who doesn't dress up! It sounds like you are all very into the Halloween festivities then. Have you done any of them b4? We are quite new to it with the exception of the Halloween Party we attended at Aulani 2 years ago which was fun, and we get to go again this year as we will be on our Hawaii stop over for actual Halloween! It sounds like you have your costumes under control. I would love to do the Pirates League make over for my son but he can be funny, especially with things like temp tattoos and if they use make up on his face he doesn't like things on his skin! But I hope he will try it, he would look so cute!

Meemoo -- Pirates League was definitely still taking place at the Halloween Carnival last year. In fact, mummabear can fill you in on how it worked.

I'm hoping you really enjoy the party!

@Meemoo Last year it was out at the Halloween Carnival, it was outside rather than indoors like at WDW.
It was about $34.95 for the Empress Package, I found this much better value than BBB both at DLR and WDW but I didn't find the pirate masters in character like they are at WDW and they didn't do their hair at DLR either.
The package had their makeup done, the nails painted and they were given the nail polish and lip gloss to keep in a little pirate bag, they also got a sash and a sword and a pirate necklace.
It was hot, like 39C and we all had sweat pouring from us, the poor pirate masters, it wasn't comfortable that day at all. We were told that if it cracked 40C the staff would be pulled for safety reasons
There was a photopass photographer who took photos during the transformation but there isn't a secret room for portraits or a pirate parade.
We pre booked but would have been able to walk up-however this was mid Sept pre MHP dates.
They got a good amount of attention from the villians in the tent, particularly Cpt Hook.

Oh goodness, sounds just like my DH. I'm lucky to get him to attend, no way he will dress up. I told him I will buy him one of those 'Grumpy' shirts - Grumpy 100% guaranteed or something! I think what he doesn't realize is he will probably be one of the only ones who doesn't dress up! It sounds like you are all very into the Halloween festivities then. Have you done any of them b4? We are quite new to it with the exception of the Halloween Party we attended at Aulani 2 years ago which was fun, and we get to go again this year as we will be on our Hawaii stop over for actual Halloween! It sounds like you have your costumes under control. I would love to do the Pirates League make over for my son but he can be funny, especially with things like temp tattoos and if they use make up on his face he doesn't like things on his skin! But I hope he will try it, he would look so cute!

We live in NZ, my husband is a Kiwi but I am a Canuck, I am keen to dress up but like you can't take too much with us so not as easy as if it were near home. Funny thing Kiwis dress up all the time, every damn party is a dress up but Halloween is a non starter here, we have a party at our place for the kids.
We haven't been to one of the parties before, our dates are normally at the start of Sept and cross into the start of Halloween time, this time we are pulling the kids out of school and heading over to WDW with our dates covering both the Halloween and the Christmas parties. Hoping to hit DLR in some capacity on our overnight layover.

I don't think your DH would be the only one not dressed up, from what I have read it is 50/50.
DD6 was just talking about it over dinner and she wants to be Peter, DD1 could be Princess TigerLily but DD4 wants to be Jack Skellington. They don't have to match as lovely as that would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
so many great photos mummabear! excited to go to the party!

my DD and I are going simple for our costumes and she agreed to be matching - huge for a 15 year old LOL

going to make Halloween colors tutu's, black t-shirts with a Minnie head and Halloween bow and attempt to make our own Minnie ears headbands to match.

I can say he won't be the only one out of costume. Many adults wear costumes, especially family themes, but I would say most do not. Though it's been a few years since I was at DL for MHP, we will be going this year (expecting a party on Tues, 10/13).

My wife was in Australia (Adelaide) over Halloween last year and it was interesting for her to see the holiday just starting to take hold over there. She was told things like trick-or-treating had been resisted for years as being "too American" but was now just starting to take hold, so she saw a few kids in costumes. Changes in local culture usually evolve, so locals don't notice the gradual change, but as Americans who have traveled aboard for decades, we get to pop in from time to time and note the changes that occur while we were away; we have spotted a definite shift toward Americanization in so many countries over the last 30 years or so.

mummabear those are great photos. I don't know how many times I will be going to MHP this year. I want to go once by myself. I will ask my friend Christine if we can go twice this year. I do want to go at least 3 times this year.

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them! I'm so thankful for this whole site, but especially this thread! I can't wait to plan every detail of our trip! My husband thinks I am crazy, so it's nice that there are others planning and waiting (impatiently) as well!!!

You're very welcome! You're the one getting Halloween party tickets for a friend, correct? I definitely think that we should be getting the info sometime between now and 4th of July-ish. I can't see that Disney would want us to wait much longer than that for them to announce all the info, unless they were planning to put the tickets on sale later than usual. If the tickets, for some weird reason, are going on sale later than they normally would, then there could be a later announcement -- but let's hope that doesn't happen!

yes, that's me! while my friend will be in DL, I will be in WDW! I've already purchased my MNSSHP tickets for that. i'm surprised the DL tickets come out so much later! I hope she & her family will have fun at DL. thanks again for the info!

Every time I see a new message on this thread, my heart skips a little beat. I think to myself, "Is this the one? Have they announced the dates?" LOL :stitch2:

The waiting is killing me! Patience is NOT one of my virtues!

I know what you mean. If July 3rd (because we are in the future here in NZ :) ) comes and goes without an announcement I will likely reduce to a sobbing mess.

So assuming the party is in DL, which I know is just a guess now, if the park closes at 6, how late can I make reservations for dinner if I'm not attending the party? I'm thinking Café Orleans.

I'm so tired of waiting for info, I'm just want to make some assumptions and plan stuff. Even if I have to change it, which I'm sure I will, I just like to plan. Haha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter