Half Portions For Seniors?

For those who've ordered kids' meals, have you ordered at Disney TS restaurants? I've ordered kids' meals at many CS restaurants but haven't tried it at TS
They will let you in most cases. Again, it depends on the restaurant if this is really desirable, of course.

Rose & Crown, for instance, does a pretty good job. Restaurant Marrakesh, the kids menu is sad and you should look at the apps menu or figure out something to split with another adult. I'd argue the same at somewhere like Chefs de France; the menu looks like it talks a good game, but one of the objects is a hamburger.

I wish Disney had a small plate section on their menus or allowed people to order half portions (for less$$). My DH & I have different tastes & wouldn't share plates. I think a lot of people would be happy if they started to offer smaller portion options.

I eat smaller portions and what I do at WDW is:

For breakfast I'll either get a kid's meal or a muffin or a yogurt.
If we are eating at a QS I get a kid's meal and I've never eaten a hamburger or chicken fingers.
If we are eating at a TS I tend to get a soup and another appetizer or a side salad and another appetizer or two appetizers, just depends on what is on the menu. I rarely eat dessert but if I'm in the mood and with my son, we will split one, if by myself I just eat how much I want and leave the rest. I rarely snack between meals but sometimes things considered at snacks will be my meals, for example at Yak and Yeti QS at AK I get an order of fried rice and rarely even finish that.

The DDP might make sense in your case if you plan on eating at a lot of buffets or all-you-can-eat restaurants. You pay the same price no matter what you eat and they're often more costly than regular restaurants, but you have control over portion sizes.

I find most restaurants' portions are too large. In my family, no one ever wants to order the same thing, so splitting is out of the question, but they do like to try things. I order what I like, eat what I can, and everyone else gets to try something different. Sometimes I wind up with a clean plate.

I pretty much always order apps as my main - sometimes with a salad or soup, or second app. The portions are just far to large. Unless their is an entree I'm dying for and then I just leave whatever. It works great when I'm traveling with someone with a large appetite. They can eat what I can't finish.

I eat a very small amount and either split with someone or order an appetizer. Solves the issue.

I wish Disney had a small plate section on their menus or allowed people to order half portions (for less$$). My DH & I have different tastes & wouldn't share plates. I think a lot of people would be happy if they started to offer smaller portion options.

Back when we first started going to Disney (1999) they would offer half-portions of entrees for half-price plus $1. Talk about the good old days! Just another thing that's gone by the wayside that makes us feel that the value of a Disney vacation is slipping (especially as I've had bariatric surgery and can't even finish a kid's meal anymore).

Do any of the Disney restaurants offer half-portions for seniors? It seems like the Disney thing to do.

1) NO.
2) Your only options are
. . . split the appy/entrée/dessert (at ala carte eateries) *
. . . order from the kid's menu
3) Not having a Senior Meal IS the Disney thing to do.
. . . more revenue
. . . more profit

* The wife and I do this at EVERY ala carte eatery.

With the direction Disney has taken lately I have been waiting for them to implement a no sharing rule or an upcharge to make you pay for that 2nd plate when you split a meal.

Split an entree.
Vert easy.

Unfortunately, it's not "very easy" if you're solo. I take lots of solo trips as a senior with a small appetite. I find myself either ordering appetizers or leaving lots of food on the table (mostly because I'm tired of salads and soups).

I had forgotten about this thread!

Since my first post in this thread-we've had a couple more trips & enjoyed further kids meals
Looking forward to more :stitch2::stitch2:

Thanks for this thread. I did not know you could order kid’s meals at table service for anyone over 9. This will be perfect for my kids. Even at 13 and 11 they don’t like adult meals and don’t eat a ton either. We’ve avoided TS in 2016 because the 1 was older than 9.

Am I the only person who becomes ravenous after walking around all day in Disney? :rotfl2:

My goodness. My husband I tried to split a meal one time at Flame Tree and I was hungry again 10 minutes later. And I’m really small!

Oh you're far from the only one who gets ravenous :rolleyes1 some of us just can't indulge in the huge meal until it's time for a break afterwards or rides would get veeeerrrrryyyy interesting sometimes (plus i need naps after huge meals, it's ingrained lol). So I have to stop every two hours so I can get another snack to eat, because I'm a bottomless pit apparently but don't eat enough at traditional mealtimes :rotfl:

Am I the only person who becomes ravenous after walking around all day in Disney? :rotfl2:

My goodness. My husband I tried to split a meal one time at Flame Tree and I was hungry again 10 minutes later. And I’m really small!
you're not. I eat about 1000 calories a day at home and had bariatric surgery so i can't eat much at one sitting. But on my last disney trip I ate every few hours, I was hungry all day long. I had snacks between meals and was ravenous at around 10pm. I try not to eat in the evenings at home but broke that rule at disney. Still lost 3 lbs that week once the water weight disappeared a couple of days after coming home. I've never been so hungry in my whole life!

I think splitting meals or ordering apps is the way to go on this. We use this approach at some of the signature restaurants and this also gives all of us a chance to try everyone's food. We don't eat a ton of food and really the portions are usually so large this works well so we don't waste our meals. Other than BOG, we find most of the portions to be fair. We don't do the DDP and this helps us stretch our food money for sure. We are myself, DH, DD (11) and DD (9). Our girls have pretty birdish appetites so kids meals work for them even though my 11 year old is not a children's menu candidate. She ordered off the children's menu at Le Cellier and it was a non issue even though we were technically 3 adults and 1 child.

As much as I think a senior discount would be nice, I think Disney is the last place that would exist. There really isn't a need for Disney to offer this to fill the restaurants so I don't see this special coming anytime soon.

I've never been so hungry in my whole life!

Right?!?! It’s gotta be the fact that Disney vacations are soooooooo active and basically include walking miles upon miles for days at a time. That’s the only reason I can think of. :rotfl2: So glad to see with you and @Disneygal27 that it’s not just me! Sometimes I read the stuff about splitting meals and how Disney gives you waaay too much food and I’m like, “naaah I’m good!” :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter