Does DVC ever upgrade for free?

What is important to note is that any actual upgrades occur because a room in the size and category you requested is not available the day you are supposed to enter the room. What you must avoid is actually asking for an upgrade when you arrive because you may get it and then find out you have been charged in your DVC account for the extra points needed for the room you got.

And one more thing - someone who rented the reservation from an owner should never ever request an upgrade!

There have been cases reported here when renters requested and were granted upgrades, and the extra points were removed from the owner’s account without their knowledge or consent.

We have been upgraded several times over the years. Last year we had a 1-bedroom booked, got a 2-bedroom. Most of the upgrades are with views. Our last Riviera stay, we booked a standard room and got a preferred view. Last time at BLT we booked a lake view and got Theme Park view.

We have never asked for an upgrade.

We got lucky in January with a studio booked at BRV on rented points. We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom, assuming due to the remodel. It ended up costing us $$$. We fell in love with renovations and bought a resale contract when we got home! :rotfl2:

We once were given a one-bedroom unit at SSR when we had booked a studio.

And we were moved to BLT when OKW was overbooked. The room size was the same, but it was one with a pretty nice theme park view. :goodvibes

We're local but have DVC points and booked a studio at Saratoga for one night when we had tickets to Cirque to avoid the drive home. We specified no preferences other than Grandstand and wound up in a 1-bedroom ground floor water view.

I think that, with booking being so close to 100% capacity all the time, the only upgrade is probably due to an unexpected maintenance issue. One time in 20 years of DVC membership, I've been upgraded. I'd reserved a value studio at AKL, and when I got there, I was upgraded to an Arusha Savannah view. The CM at the front desk told me it was due to a maintenance issue.

This thread started about the same time as I bought my first set of resale points - 10+ years ago. We’ve never been upgraded staying DVC & weren’t upgraded before that staying on cash (except one view upgrade at YC & one view downgrade at AKL - so I figure that’s a net neutral) likely because we stay for 10-12 days. I‘m always jealous when I read about others being upgraded & wonder why I’m not as special as they are 😂.
That said we have had some marvelous locations w/in the category we booked - partial savanna view in standards at AKV & fireworks views in standards at VGF.

This thread started about the same time as I bought my first set of resale points - 10+ years ago. We’ve never been upgraded staying DVC & weren’t upgraded before that staying on cash (except one view upgrade at YC & one view downgrade at AKL - so I figure that’s a net neutral) likely because we stay for 10-12 days. I‘m always jealous when I read about others being upgraded & wonder why I’m not as special as they are 😂.
That said we have had some marvelous locations w/in the category we booked - partial savanna view in standards at AKV & fireworks views in standards at VGF.
Same here. We’ve never been upgraded either but have gotten very good rooms in our category.

Upgrades on the DVC side are very, very rare. The only time it happens is when there is an operational need, a maintenance problem that cannot be easily solved, or in some cases.....a one to two night stay where the Tetris game just isn't working for the room assigner and something needs to move.

Got one this Thursday. Just returned from a four night 3 resort stay. The last night was a BCV studio that I was somehow able to switch to from a SSR studio the night before I left. I checked in online the day before and showed up about 2:30 after a drenching morning in the the parks, the front desk said our room wasn't quite ready but was being cleaned and would receive a text soon. About 30 minutes later we get the text and head up, we were shocked to see we had been pixie dusted a one bedroom! I was already thrilled to have snagged a studio at the last minute, knowing how hard BCV are to get I was pretty much resolved to the fact that I would likely not get opportunities to stay there (not our home resort). When we entered I didn't even realize at first as I was telling DH leave the stuff at the door I want to get some photos of the refurbished room before we mess it up. He wanders in and declares its a one bedroom, I was pretty stunned knowing this is unusual. He thought we should inform the front desk in case we get charged somehow, I said they know exactly what they did, it is not a mistake. Made sure we complimented the cast member who checked us in. Now DH had a taste of one bedrooms, he said he rather go less and stay in 1 bdrms vs studios. Don't know if I'm there yet, but it is tempting!

Now DH had a taste of one bedrooms, he said he rather go less and stay in 1 bdrms vs studios. Don't know if I'm there yet, but it is tempting!
Lol that is the price to pay for a free upgrade. Sounds wonderful.

Now DH had a taste of one bedrooms, he said he rather go less and stay in 1 bdrms vs studios. Don't know if I'm there yet, but it is tempting!
I'm with your DH! We always have enough people for a one bedroom, sometimes 2br, and a couple of times the 3 br villa, going back to a studio just seems wrong;)

I am one of those that have had multiple upgrades on points stays:
1. Once cause of over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.
2. Once cause of problem with check-in at AKL:
Booked a standard view studio at AKL-Jambo, checked-in, given a room key as the room was suppose to be ready, went to the room, and found suitcases and purse in the room along with the room not being made up. Went back to the front desk, they gave us an on-the-spot upgrade to a savanna view room in another part of the resort plus four free breakfasts.
3. DCL
We reserved an inside stateroom but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was.
4. AKL-Jambo
Booked standard view room at 5 days out, due to a last minute change in home plans. Given a Savanna View room #5345.
5345 is a standard view room.

Last week we got upgraded "views". I booked a standard studio at Riviera for the night before our cruise and was given a preferred view. When we got back to BLT after the cruise, we were given a lake view 1 bedroom instead of the standard view 1 bedroom. The only downside was that it was HA which made the kitchen a little harder to use and I didn't have a walk in shower in the master bathroom. The water pressure in that tub/shower combo was terrible and I used the front shower instead.

We have been upgraded on two or three occasions over our 11 years of membership. Most recently, when the original Villas building at VGF was last refurbished, we were staying on the third floor the night before it was scheduled to be taken out of inventory. Progress was swift. We woke up around 8:00am and the hallways were already filled with bins for emptying the rooms and it seemed that gutting had already begun in some villas. The reservation was a split stay, with the last night in a studio standard, and we were kept in the studio lake. It was likely both convenient for us and the cast members assigned to emptying the rooms.

Now, this is purely based on comments posted on similar discussion boards, conversations with other DVC members, and TikTok videos, so please know that it is not our personal experience. When we hear of villa upgrades, it tends to be at SSR, with either an upgrade from a standard to preferred location, studio to a 1-bedroom, or a 1-bedroom to a 2-bedroom. Regarding TikTok, given the dates of the videos, it seems to happen for members at slower times. With over 1,300 available rooms, there is likely greater opportunity to make this rare occurrence somewhat less rare.

One time I got upgraded from a Savana view studio to a 2 bedroom. Was kinda odd because I was a solo traveler… was cool though 😀

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter