Does DVC ever upgrade for free?

Meemoo

DIS Veteran
We have only been DVC members since last year, I was just thinking - sometimes when you book a hotel they occasionally will upgrade you on arrival to a better view or room - does this ever happen when booking via DVC or do you generally get what you book?

There have been other threads about this topic. The general consensus is no upgrading. However, there were people who reported they had been upgraded, although this happening would seem to be extremely rare.

I was upgraded last December. We were booked in a AKV Jambo House Standard (Pool) View studio and we were upgraded to a Savannah View studio on the Sunset Savannah. We saw very, very few animals so I was dubious about if it was really an "upgrade".

I was upgraded last December. We were booked in a AKV Jambo House Standard (Pool) View studio and we were upgraded to a Savannah View studio on the Sunset Savannah. We saw very, very few animals so I was dubious about if it was really an "upgrade".

Standard does not always mean pool view. You probably got a reclassified room. There were savannah views that people complained about that were changed to standard for various reasons. Upgrades with DVC are extremely rare and usually due to maintenance issues with a guest's original room.

some of the old Savannah views where made to be standard views - so this was not really an upgrade. in my opinion they are not upgrades - just a lot further to walk too. my opinion.

the only upgrades I have heard are due to problems - the unit assigned to you has problems - air conditioning - carpet cleaning - something that would to be consider a MAJOR problem - then you might get an upgrade. and then only because your views were sold out.

Standard does not always mean pool view. You probably got a reclassified room. There were savannah views that people complained about that were changed to standard for various reasons. Upgrades with DVC are extremely rare and usually due to maintenance issues with a guest's original room.

some of the old Savannah views where made to be standard views - so this was not really an upgrade. in my opinion they are not upgrades - just a lot further to walk too. my opinion.

the only upgrades I have heard are due to problems - the unit assigned to you has problems - air conditioning - carpet cleaning - something that would to be consider a MAJOR problem - then you might get an upgrade. and then only because your views were sold out.

The room was only about half way down the hall and I had a unobstructed view of the savannah. For instance, there was no people pen outside my window. The feeding stations were obstructed, so maybe that was it? Or maybe it was an "upgrade" since we were there in late December.

We got a pool/garden view at BWV this January. Definitely an upgrade, and at first the CM told me the balance was amazing, over $1000 but I wasn't listening because I had booked standard view on points! I suppose it was one of those cases of the room being out of commission, but it was great, a dedicated 1 bedroom, with a very nice view of the pool!

The closest we came to what would be considered an upgrade was being offered a room with a better view of the Magic Kingdom at BLT if we were willing to wait 3 more hours for the room. We had our bathing suits with us so we hung out at the pool! The view was worth the wait! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We had a 2br reserved at BCV for one night before a cruise. They offered us a 2br suite with concierge. We took it....was it an upgrade? We would have preferred the sleeping arrangements in the villa but we did use the concierge lounge for snacks and breakfast.

We, too, figured there must have been an issue with our villa.

I am one of those that have had multiple upgrades on points stays:
1. Once cause of over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.
2. Once cause of problem with check-in at AKL:
Booked a standard view studio at AKL-Jambo, checked-in, given a room key as the room was suppose to be ready, went to the room, and found suitcases and purse in the room along with the room not being made up. Went back to the front desk, they gave us an on-the-spot upgrade to a savanna view room in another part of the resort plus four free breakfasts.
3. DCL
We reserved an inside stateroom but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was.
4. AKL-Jambo
Booked standard view room at 5 days out, due to a last minute change in home plans. Given a Savanna View room #5345.

We have only been DVC members since last year, I was just thinking - sometimes when you book a hotel they occasionally will upgrade you on arrival to a better view or room - does this ever happen when booking via DVC or do you generally get what you book?

Since it's a timeshare not a "hotel room" you generally get what you book. Like others have mentioned, unless there's a problem with something and they have no choice but to move you.

The one time I tried to "upgrade" us to a Savannah view at Jambo, they were going to do it, but I was going to have to use points in order to accomplish it. That's not an upgrade, that's using points to book a Savannah room LOL.

I'm surprised at some of the "upgrades" people are reporting on this thread to be honest.

We got a pool/garden view at BWV this January. Definitely an upgrade, and at first the CM told me the balance was amazing, over $1000 but I wasn't listening because I had booked standard view on points! I suppose it was one of those cases of the room being out of commission, but it was great, a dedicated 1 bedroom, with a very nice view of the pool!
That reminds me! I also got an upgrade to a Scary Clown Pool view from a Standard View at BWV. We were placed in a handicapped room so maybe they are all categorized as "Standard View" to make people more receptive to taking them as an upgrade. We were happy :thumbsup2.

They may upgrade due to a problem and we had a weird problem on our last trip.

We had BLT booked for a week starting on a Saturday night. We started our 22 mile drive on Thursday right after I got out of work and DH ended up driving the entire night without stopping so when I woke the next morning we knew we would be in WDW by about 2pm that afternoon so I called DVC to see if any rooms were available for that evening. I could get AKL DVC savannah room which was great.

We got to AKL around 1:30pm that afternoon and were issued our room keys. DH and DD5 headed to the room while I waited for Bell Services to load up a cart with our luggage and I followed them to our room. Our room key didn’t work and DH was no where to be found.

DH called me to say that there was a mix up on the room and the room we got was apparently occupied….no, he didn’t walk in on anyone, his key just didn’t work, thankfully. They issued him new keys and told me to meet him at another room number so Bell Services and I started heading there. Not even a minute later, I get another call that there was another mix up and they were sending us to concierge for a two bedroom suite.

Bell Services and I met DH and DD at concierge and they issue us new keys and we finally had a really nice, non-DVC two bedroom suite that was on a corner so that the master bedroom had a balcony onto one part of the savannah and the second bedroom had a balcony looking out onto another part of the savannah. We had three bathrooms for just the three of us and the master bath was huge. The shower could be its own room. We didn’t have much time to enjoy it or the concierge lounge.

This was the first time we have ever had anything quite like this happen. On occasion, we have had one or both keys not work and we would have to go down and have them fixed but this time the first two rooms were still occupied.

On Saturday, we moved to BLT without a problem and had a wonderful trip.

In well over 100 stays, I've been upgraded twice.

Once at BWV, I was upgraded from standard to pool/garden view. It wasn't really that much of an upgrade though, since a tree pretty much blocked any possible view. Half way thru the stay, I checked my credit card balance, only to find out that they had charged my card the rack rate for the room. It took some doing to get that corrected.

Another time I was upgraded from a 1br to a 2br at OKW. The same thing almost happened. They wanted to charge me the rack rate for the room, but I caught it at check-in when they asked if I wanted to put the balance on my credit card. Huh - what balance? Something like $1500.

My advice: any time they upgrade you, be very vigilant!

That reminds me! I also got an upgrade to a Scary Clown Pool view from a Standard View at BWV. We were placed in a handicapped room so maybe they are all categorized as "Standard View" to make people more receptive to taking them as an upgrade. We were happy :thumbsup2.

In well over 100 stays, I've been upgraded twice.

Once at BWV, I was upgraded from standard to pool/garden view. It wasn't really that much of an upgrade though, since a tree pretty much blocked any possible view. Half way thru the stay, I checked my credit card balance, only to find out that they had charged my card the rack rate for the room. It took some doing to get that corrected.

Another time I was upgraded from a 1br to a 2br at OKW. The same thing almost happened. They wanted to charge me the rack rate for the room, but I caught it at check-in when they asked if I wanted to put the balance on my credit card. Huh - what balance? Well over $1K.

My advice: any time they upgrade you, be very vigilant!

We really did enjoy the view, PLUS we had housekeeping knocking on our door every day for cleaning services! We declined, except for taking new towels every now and then.

I had asked the CM at check in, if I should call DVC to get things straightened out, but she said that it wouldn't be necessary, she "saw" what happened. I didn't ask, just smiled.:goodvibes

I just remembered one more "DVC upgrade" that really doesn't count. I was upgraded from a room at POR to a SSR 1-bedroom during Free Dining a few years ago. It was weird to have a 1 BR with full maid service and the DDP.

On our first stay at BWV I had booked a Standard View studio. We were assigned a "pool view". When I questioned it I was told that it was classified as a Standard View because it was behind Leaping Libations.

When we got to the room we discovered it was also an HA studio. I think the classification was due to having a view of the back of a building rather than it being HA. I would have rather had a true Standard View that was non-HA but I guess we all have to take our turn.

I just got back from AKV Jambo house. I booked a studio, standard view. When i got to my room 5545, I was pleasantly surprised with my Savannah view. I suspect that it was a reclassified roms as there was a "people pen" below and the Savannah was very small but each day I got to see 3 Giraffe, 2 zebra, some Thompson Gazelles, and some type of antelope. I was very happy with the location. It was just over 200 steps to the lobby ( I had a pedometer) and it was quite close to the elevator to get to the pool and Mara.

I just got back from AKV Jambo house. I booked a studio, standard view. When i got to my room 5545, I was pleasantly surprised with my Savannah view. I suspect that it was a reclassified roms as there was a "people pen" below and the Savannah was very small but each day I got to see 3 Giraffe, 2 zebra, some Thompson Gazelles, and some type of antelope. I was very happy with the location. It was just over 200 steps to the lobby ( I had a pedometer) and it was quite close to the elevator to get to the pool and Mara.

You are correct about the room. I doubt it was ever "reclassified" though, as it is not shown as facing a savanna on the map. The rooms on the opposite side of the hall on that segment face the Uzima savanna.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter