Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

We might adjust our plans to include a mid-day break on one of our first days, then. We arrive late on the 5th. Of course, the teen says, "It's January. Why would I swim?" and the little one will be happy with the POFQ pool, so it's not a huge loss.

Andre, any idea what the work entails? Splash zone, fencing?

I assume general maintenance, plus I believe adding some safety fencing / gates around the perimeter. I don't think they are adding Magic Band entry security like the Poly or Beach Club though.

I'm not sure of any other specific details at this stage though, but as far as I know they are not changing the children's pool into a splash play area like French Quarter (although I'd have though it would have been an obvious time to do it).

Andre

Just wanted to share my excitement. I leave for WDW in 5 days.:dancer: YAY!!! This will be my first stay at POR. I've been stalking this thread for a while and really appreciate all of the great information.

Have a great vacation. Our first stay at POR is next month. :yay:

Just wanted to share my excitement. I leave for WDW in 5 days.:dancer: YAY!!! This will be my first stay at POR. I've been stalking this thread for a while and really appreciate all of the great information.
Have a wonderful trip! POR is truly an amazing resort, I just love it there! I'll be "home" in 23 days!

It may be chilly for the pool in January anyway.
Exactly! We went in January of last year, and our AK day, the rides were not even operating in the morning because it was too cold. It was about 40 degrees. Then again, a few days later, it hit the 70s!

Back from POR almost two weeks now. *sigh* I really miss it.

Anyway, I have a silly question. I loved the music playing in the buses to and from POR. Often, though, there was no music playing, just the sound of crickets chirping, lol. The chirping went on so long sometimes, that I wondered if the chirping could be something squeaking on the bus. Now, just so you know, I am missing the resort and Disney real bad right now, so I'm hoping somebody comes back here and says that those chirping sounds were definitely part of the piped in music and those were most likely genuine Louisiana bayou crickets we were hearing! ;) I grew to really love listening to the resort bus music and kind of got attached to those crickets. Ah, the little things you miss when it's over.

Last edited:
Back from POR almost two weeks now. *sigh* I really miss it.

Anyway, I have a silly question. I loved the music playing in the buses to and from POR. Often, though, there was no music playing, just the sound of crickets chirping, lol. The chirping went on so long sometimes, that I wondered if the chirping could be something squeaking on the bus. Now, just so you know, I am missing the resort and Disney real bad right now, so I'm hoping somebody comes back here and says that those chirping sounds were definitely part of the piped in music and those were most likely genuine Louisiana bayou crickets we were hearing! ;) I grew to really love listening to the resort bus music and kind of got attached to those crickets. Ah, the little things you miss when it's over.

I can't really answer your question, but I miss it too. Everything about it. :(

I read the Mail and Package Delivery section of http://www.portorleans.org/services.php and I still have a question. I'm going to place an order with Amazon and the checkout page doesn't show who the carrier will be for me to know which address to use. Here at home we've had USPS and UPS bring packages from Amazon the same day.

I'm thinking I should use the full street address just in case, versus the PO Box address, but what happens if it is sent USPS? Will it still get delivered?

:thanks:

I'm thinking I should use the full street address just in case, versus the PO Box address, but what happens if it is sent USPS? Will it still get delivered?

If in doubt, use the full street address, the post office will know to deliver it to the main sorting area (the local postal service probably knows about Disney World by now :) )

Andre

If in doubt, use the full street address, the post office will know to deliver it to the main sorting area (the local postal service probably knows about Disney World by now :) )

Andre

Thank-you! I'm just extra cautious because some of the mail carriers for our small town are ... not so great, and that's being kind. :rolleyes1 They seem to be getting better but there for a while if your mail wasn't addressed just right, or the package was too big for your mailbox (they wouldn't bring it to the door of your house), or some other issue, they would leave a note and you had to retrieve your mail from the post office instead.

Thanks for all your help, including the website. It's very much appreciated. :)

Preferred room or King room. We are two adults, no children. I booked preferred because I love alligator bayou. Last time I booked river view and requested alligator bayou but didn't get it. I got a really nice river view mansion room though. I noticed a lot of the king rooms are corner rooms and that could be nice as well. Should I give up my preferred alligator bayou room for a king?

Preferred room or King room. We are two adults, no children. I booked preferred because I love alligator bayou. Last time I booked river view and requested alligator bayou but didn't get it. I got a really nice river view mansion room though. I noticed a lot of the king rooms are corner rooms and that could be nice as well. Should I give up my preferred alligator bayou room for a king?

It depends on what is more important to you. If you want to be close to the main building, the only way to guarantee that is to reserve a preferred room. If you would rather have a king-sized bed, that room could be anywhere on property.

I was reading the Riverside Mill menus on portorleans.org and noticed the changes. What are the "roasted potatoes" like that have replaced the mashed potatoes with the carved meats? Has anyone tried the breakfast sandwiches? I am going to miss that flatbread!

I read on another resort's threat that some guests were able to request a box fan in the past. I'm planning my parents' upcoming trip and they've currently got a Royal Room reserved, so no ceiling fan. Does anybody have any experience with calling to ask for a box fan? If that's not feasible, any alternative recommendations? My Mom is at that stage in life (if you catch my drift) where she can't sleep without a fan. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback! :)

I read on another resort's threat that some guests were able to request a box fan in the past. I'm planning my parents' upcoming trip and they've currently got a Royal Room reserved, so no ceiling fan. Does anybody have any experience with calling to ask for a box fan? If that's not feasible, any alternative recommendations? My Mom is at that stage in life (if you catch my drift) where she can't sleep without a fan. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback! :)
My whole family is at that stage of life from the babies to the adults. We bring a small fan with us everywhere. We need the airflow and the noise.

I was reading the Riverside Mill menus on portorleans.org and noticed the changes. What are the "roasted potatoes" like that have replaced the mashed potatoes with the carved meats?

They are only listed specifically on the kids menu (not sure why) but the adult meals have mash. The vegetable choice does vary though, perhaps it's a daily option?

upload_2015-10-14_22-46-53.png

Andre

I was reading the Riverside Mill menus on portorleans.org and noticed the changes. What are the "roasted potatoes" like that have replaced the mashed potatoes with the carved meats? Has anyone tried the breakfast sandwiches? I am going to miss that flatbread!

We were just at POR a week and a half ago.. The breakfast sandwiches were such a disappointment! Two pieces of white bread partially toasted with egg cheese and a choice of either ham or bacon ... That's it.. They were pre made so they were a quick choice but they were dry as can be...We couldn't believe it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter