Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

We're trying to decide between booking a Royal Room - Standard or just a Standard mansion room and we've been seeing different pictures of the Royal Rooms. Some of the Royal Rooms had more decorative bedspreads and some Royal Rooms had just plain white sheets? (It doesn't even look like there is a bedspread). Can anyone tell me what the rooms currently look like? Do they currently have the more fancy bedspread? This may question may seem insignificant but if I'm going to pay an extra $50-$60/night for a Royal Room, than I think it should look a bit fancier than the plain standard rooms. Thank you!
If your set on staying in the mansion section, the only way to guarantee it is to book a royal room.

Sorry about your mom. My mom also has health issues. Just an FYI, we rented an ECV for mom when we visited WDW. Biggest mistake we made. Could not get on the trains or some of the boats. Often had to wait for a bus with space for the ECV. Mom had problems getting it on/off the buses & once hit a curb & tipped the ECV. If your mom tires easily, rent a wheelchair. Its a little more work to push but it folds & can get on all the modes of transport & rides. Apple Scooter rents them & was great to work with.

Thanks for the advice! My mom is very stubborn and adamant that she won't use an ECV. The trip is to celebrate my sister's wedding and meet her husband's side of the family, or Mom wouldn't attempt the trip. I'm hoping we'll be able to get her to use a wheelchair, but who knows? She said she can meet the family for meals, etc. and then rest when we're at the parks, so at least she'll be in a beautiful setting at POR.

If your set on staying in the mansion section, the only way to guarantee it is to book a royal room.

All resort rooms now use triple sheeting.. This means a light blanket inside 2 sheets. Depending on resort, they will use those old bedspreads now as runners. so the updated picture is the while sheets and the runner. the royal rooms were made right before this change... I like it.. bedspreeds are gross anyways...

do they really not charge for the VIP deep cleaning thing ??? Not taking advantage of the system, but I think everyone has the right to a cleaner room and if this involved deep cleaning of carpets and new AC filters I might request this.. We dont have any allergies, but a clean filter is beneficial to all people ( dont want to catch a cold etc...) Last 2 trips we all got a mild cold..

We are staying in a standard Royal Room and I am wondering what section we should request? we have a little one and I've been told there are no elevators at this resort so we are def going to need a ground floor room (can't imagine hauling a stroller up and down steps!). We are also renting a car if that matters (so we don;t need to rely on bus depots). Any advice appreciated!

We are staying in a standard Royal Room and I am wondering what section we should request? we have a little one and I've been told there are no elevators at this resort so we are def going to need a ground floor room (can't imagine hauling a stroller up and down steps!). We are also renting a car if that matters (so we don;t need to rely on bus depots). Any advice appreciated!

There are two sections to this resort...

1. Alligator Bayou: These are smaller two floor units. They do not have elevators but have murphy to allow these rooms to accommodate up to five occupants.
2. Mansion Buildings: Four large buildings with many, many rooms each. These buildings do have elevators.

If no dealing with stairs is your only issue (it's all you've noted in your initial post) you should request a mansion building or first floor bayou room.

EDIT: As it seems maybe you are quite new to the resort I might recommend you poke around http://www.portorleans.org/ This web site has an amazing amount of information on the resort.

Last edited:
There are two sections to this resort...

1. Alligator Bayou: These are smaller two floor units. They do not have elevators but have murphy to allow these rooms to accommodate up to five occupants.
2. Mansion Buildings: Four large buildings with many, many rooms each. These buildings do have elevators.

If no dealing with stairs is your only issue (it's all you've noted in your initial post) you should request a mansion building or first floor bayou room.

VioletSparkles booked a Royal room, which are only in the mansion section - her only options for buildings would be Oak Manor and Parterre Place.

VioletSparkles booked a Royal room, which are only in the mansion section.

Did not catch that. The word "standard" before royal room seems to have misdirected me. :) So yes, your question is moot as you will have elevators in your building VioletSparkels.

do they really not charge for the VIP deep cleaning thing ??? Not taking advantage of the system, but I think everyone has the right to a cleaner room and if this involved deep cleaning of carpets and new AC filters I might request this.. We dont have any allergies, but a clean filter is beneficial to all people ( dont want to catch a cold etc...) Last 2 trips we all got a mild cold..

There is no charge in the same way as there is no charge for specially equipped Accessible rooms with walk-in showers, etc. Rooms are of course cleaned between guests, vacuumed, new sheets etc. But if you have a specific medical condition which makes you especially sensitive / more susceptible than most people, then they can arrange for a more thorough 'deep' clean which might take several hours. Air Con filters would not generally be changed every few days for regular guest turnover for example, but they can be done by special request. If they did it for everyone though, it would no longer be a special service for those who actually need it.

We are staying in a standard Royal Room and I am wondering what section we should request? we have a little one and I've been told there are no elevators at this resort so we are def going to need a ground floor room (can't imagine hauling a stroller up and down steps!).

There are elevators in both of the Royal Room buildings (Oak Manor and Parterre Place), it's only the two-story Alligator Bayou lodges which do not have elevators. That said, the elevators are located within the central section of each building, so if your room is a bit of a distance away it can be quite a walk once you've got to the right floor. Having a ground floor room is generally easier, as you can get access from all around the building without the need to walk to the central section first. So I'd suggest requesting a ground floor room that's not too far from the main buildings.

Andre

35 more day's till POR can't wait....How (ups,USPS,fed-ex) and when are magic bands shipped. Do they need to be signed for? Thanks for your help.

Just saw a post on another Unofficial Disney Fan website that said Ol' Man River Pool at Riverside was going to be closed for refurbishment from January 11 through February 2, 2016. I didn't see anything about this on Andre's site. Anyone know if that info is correct?

I think the best answer I can give you at the moment is "I can neither confirm nor deny the fact that the Port Orleans Riverside main pool on Ol' Man Island may be closed from 11 January 2016 for about 8 weeks". ;)

When I am in a position to be able to officially confirm (or possibly deny of course) this information then I'll post an official news item on my site. Officially.

Andre

Hi everyone, love this thread, well done and very informative... Odd question here, but for me important. Usually stay in Deluxe but our daughter always wanted to do a Royal guest room. So for the room and the charm of this resort we are here Christmas time. I am allergic to mold spores, like very much so to the point of getting sinus infection and lung infection. How are the A/C in the rooms, anyone have a sensitive nose and smelled mildew coming from them when they are on... Sorry for the strange question but this may be a deal breaker for us staying here even though we are impressed with the feel and warmth of the resort... Thank you

You could request a VIP deep clean before you arrive, and also mention that A/C is a possible problem for you and perhaps ask for a room where the unit has recently been maintained and the filters changed?

Andre

Not an odd question at all. I am also allergic to mold/spores. A year I was POP I did not request the clean and I suffered horrible especially since it was Flower and Garden. I had never had such a severe reaction.
The past 3 years I have requested this cleaning and asked to have the filters changed before I got there. However the very last visit I forgot to and I didn't have a problem. But this reminds me I should probably call in my request. I can smell that moldy/mildew smell really easy. I have to be careful with things in storage and even cleaning out leftovers from the fridge. So ya not an odd question and I'm glad you asked it.
Andre thanks for this thread.
Oh another note, that is kind of why I don't want to be in the AB section and request Mansions. I could be wrong but with the Mansions more open to the sun, I just think things dry out better. Allergies stink and the little things that can be done to help make things more comfortable.

Hope it all works out.

EDIT: Sorry just got back from a local vacation and didn't notice this thread was much further along in pages and didn't need my two cents. But to support the OP I am leaving the post and adding this edit.

Last edited:
Not an odd question at all. I am also allergic to mold/spores. A year I was POP I did not request the clean and I suffered horrible especially since it was Flower and Garden. I had never had such a severe reaction.
The past 3 years I have requested this cleaning and asked to have the filters changed before I got there. However the very last visit I forgot to and I didn't have a problem. But this reminds me I should probably call in my request. I can smell that moldy/mildew smell really easy. I have to be careful with things in storage and even cleaning out leftovers from the fridge. So ya not an odd question and I'm glad you asked it.
Andre thanks for this thread.
Oh another note, that is kind of why I don't want to be in the AB section and request Mansions. I could be wrong but with the Mansions more open to the sun, I just think things dry out better. Allergies stink and the little things that can be done to help make things more comfortable.

Hope it all works out.

EDIT: Sorry just got back from a local vacation and didn't notice this thread was much further along in pages and didn't need my two cents. But to support the OP I am leaving the post and adding this edit.

No please, sorry surely isn't necessary... appreciate all the helpful feedback. Haven't stayed in a moderate since I got so sick in 98 due to the mold/mildew problem at Caribbean Beach Resort... Have stayed deluxe ever since for the central air system, although I believe CSR has that too now ( not my favorite themed though ) Glad this service is available for people with extreme allergy issues... The royal rooms look adorable, my 26 year old daughter will find it most charming and my husband,well, he is a saint. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences...

Donna

No please, sorry surely isn't necessary... appreciate all the helpful feedback. Haven't stayed in a moderate since I got so sick in 98 due to the mold/mildew problem at Caribbean Beach Resort... Have stayed deluxe ever since for the central air system, although I believe CSR has that too now ( not my favorite themed though ) Glad this service is available for people with extreme allergy issues... The royal rooms look adorable, my 26 year old daughter will find it most charming and my husband,well, he is a saint. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences...

Donna

Just curious, if after the first day you notice an issue, is it too late to request the cleaning?
I know some people love CSR but it's not my favorite either. POR is my favorite Mod so far. We haven't gone to CB so I can't say.
Which deluxe do you usually stay at? I'm hoping to check out the other mods and deluxe with some time to explore resorts. I hope.
Interesting thought about the central air. I never would have thought it to be different.
But I imagine the indoor hallways help too as the foliage is more limited too direct contact with your room. So much to learn about my allergies.

In the Spring when the outside is moister and the snow has melted. my husband is always amazed when I open the back door at home and tell him I can smell "dirt". I even have to watch which potatoes I purchase. It explains so much of my health back in my childhood days.

edit: oh and what 26 year old princess wouldn't be excited about the Royal rooms. LOL
Hoping for pixie dust and upgrade to Royal cause I couldn't convince myself to upgrade my room as I don't see a lot of difference in regular and Royal. LOL I'm sure if I was there I would.

Just curious, if after the first day you notice an issue, is it too late to request the cleaning?
I know some people love CSR but it's not my favorite either. POR is my favorite Mod so far. We haven't gone to CB so I can't say.
Which deluxe do you usually stay at? I'm hoping to check out the other mods and deluxe with some time to explore resorts. I hope.
Interesting thought about the central air. I never would have thought it to be different.
But I imagine the indoor hallways help too as the foliage is more limited too direct contact with your room. So much to learn about my allergies.

In the Spring when the outside is moister and the snow has melted. my husband is always amazed when I open the back door at home and tell him I can smell "dirt". I even have to watch which potatoes I purchase. It explains so much of my health back in my childhood days.

edit: oh and what 26 year old princess wouldn't be excited about the Royal rooms. LOL
Hoping for pixie dust and upgrade to Royal cause I couldn't convince myself to upgrade my room as I don't see a lot of difference in regular and Royal. LOL I'm sure if I was there I would.

I actually already requested the VIP cleaning, but if their was an issue were one had an a/c system having mold/mildew filter problems, quite sure they could remedy this if it is brought to the managements attention... They want your stay pleasant. But if you know it is gonna help to have a VIP cleaning I'd call and modify your reservation with a request... As far as staying Deluxe and which ones our family stayed, ( Beach Club, Yacht Club, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom lodge and Grand Floridian ) I enjoy them a tab more only for the amenities, close proximity to some parks
and the Grand lobbies. Other than that I feel the Mods are wonderful also as the grounds are well themed and lush and the walk to the food court is pleasant. My up grade was really due to better air quality due to the non humid dryness that central air can give you. For me I do much better. Hopefully with a clean fresh filter this will solve the problem and I will have a nice stay. Hope you get an upgrade as a Royal room looks rather well themed and nicely decorated for what they wanted to achieve as a princess stay.. Not gonna say I will not miss the closet space as I pack like we are never returning but will learn to down size and reorganize again.... Check out Animal Kingdom as the resort was my favorite for it so well done theme wise and at night is when it really looks amazing and mysterious almost, we loved it..... Really they all are gorgeous and should be seen.

Hello, everyone! This is my first ever post! :wave:

My family and I (DH, DS5, DD4, and DD1) have a Royal Room booked for our upcoming trip November 29th - December 3rd and we are very excited! First time staying at POR.

My question is - how far in advance do I need to book a carriage ride? Is it something that can wait until we get there?

Thanks!

Hello, everyone! This is my first ever post! :wave:

My family and I (DH, DS5, DD4, and DD1) have a Royal Room booked for our upcoming trip November 29th - December 3rd and we are very excited! First time staying at POR.

My question is - how far in advance do I need to book a carriage ride? Is it something that can wait until we get there?

Thanks!

You might be able to get a walk up carriage ride, but maybe not for the time you want. I'd book it as soon as you are able to visualize an appropriate time in your plans.

Back to the VIP cleaning questions - should I request it weeks in advance or rather on my fax 5 days before I arrive?

Thanks!

It doesn't matter. As long as it's noted. I have always added the request to our reservation with the phone CM when we book our trip and it's always been done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter