Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

Is there anyone else here who was caught up in the 2018 Star Wars Light Side Half mess? This was where some of us registered early for the race and Disney held our money with basically no communication and rumors swirling for 9 months before cancelling. It was pretty brutal. Here's the old thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...side-half-marathon-weekend-cancelled.3572881/ Anyway, I just wrote RunDisney an email asking for early registration for those of us caught up in the mess. I'm sure the # can't be that many. Not holding out much hope, but thought it was worth the effort :)

Ugh I remember that mess. Thankfully I wasn't registered for it, but what happened to everyone with it was what made me grateful that Tink 2018's registration kept getting pushed back despite having an announced date and never actually happened so no money tied up for months.

Here's hoping they might do something for those people! Sadly probably not, but that would be a nice goodwill gesture.

I don't really follow Disney or RunDisney in any form on social media, so just wondering if anyone has heard any facts/rumors on possible themes for this weekend? I know, it's Disney, and they would gladly open up registration and suck up our money with little advance notice of anything.

I haven't been to LA in a while, and could definitely see doing a trip that included one or more of these races. I think it would be fun to do something to celebrate 100 years of Disney.

Last edited:
I don't really follow Disney or RunDisney in any form on social media, so just wondering if anyone has heard any facts/rumors on possible themes for this weekend? I know, it's Disney, and they would gladly open up registration and suck up our money with little advance notice of anything.

I haven't been to LA in a while, and could definitely see doing a trip that included one or more of these races. I think it would be fun to do something to celebrate 100 years of Disney.
My assumption has been that we’re getting the basics for the first race, kinda like the WDW Marathon Weekend. Maybe Mickey/Minnie on the half, other core characters for the other two. If they do additional weekends in 2024 that’s where they’d get into different themes (Pixar? Marvel? Star Wars? Princesses?) They should have details up very soon though.

Debating whether to register for this race. It's harder for me to travel in early January, and I'd prefer to go in the fall when there's at least a Halloween or Yule overlay. Not sure whether that'll materialize for rD in late 2024.

Based on the 11 month advance registration for this race, how are folks mitigating illness/surprise factors that may prevent you from running? I'm not familiar with trip insurance and whether it'll cover registration or if it has to be a travel related expense like airfare, hotel.

For rD races, does it matter staying close to the start/finish? I've gone to Anaheim for conventions, so I'm used to staying near the con, but I guess a race is different. Is it more important to consider cost than site logistics, since the area in Anaheim is so much more compact?

For rD races, does it matter staying close to the start/finish? I've gone to Anaheim for conventions, so I'm used to staying near the con, but I guess a race is different. Is it more important to consider cost than site logistics, since the area in Anaheim is so much more compact?

The one DL race I did was Tink 2017, and assuming the corrals are in a similar location (which we do not yet know), staying off property was a breeze. We were at a hotel at the corner of Harbor and Katella. We walked over at probably 4:15am, went through security and were in our corral by 4:30. At that time, they did have routes open to walk through Downtown Disney from either direction to get to the corrals. SO much easier than at WDW!

Debating whether to register for this race. It's harder for me to travel in early January, and I'd prefer to go in the fall when there's at least a Halloween or Yule overlay. Not sure whether that'll materialize for rD in late 2024.

Based on the 11 month advance registration for this race, how are folks mitigating illness/surprise factors that may prevent you from running? I'm not familiar with trip insurance and whether it'll cover registration or if it has to be a travel related expense like airfare, hotel.

I don't recall Disneyland ever having fall or winter races. They have all been Jan-May in the past. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We live about 15 minutes south of Anaheim and just drive up on race mornings and park in the structure, and it's super easy. If you are staying in literally any hotel in the nearby area, you will be fine. I would recommend to find one within an easy walking distance because trying to get a rideshare at 4am might be tricky. I'd recommend somewhere along Harbor (so you can cut through Downtown Disney) or one of the hotels on Katella like the Westin, which is really close to where you'll need to go for the race starts. The races all end over near the Disneyland Hotel, so keep that in mind for the walk back.

I was off property for both of my DL race weekends, two different hotels (one significantly further off property). Didn’t have any issues either time.

As for race/trip insurance, I’ll probably just roll the dice with the races, but I might consider insurance for the flights.

I don't recall Disneyland ever having fall or winter races. They have all been Jan-May in the past. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We live about 15 minutes south of Anaheim and just drive up on race mornings and park in the structure, and it's super easy. If you are staying in literally any hotel in the nearby area, you will be fine. I would recommend to find one within an easy walking distance because trying to get a rideshare at 4am might be tricky. I'd recommend somewhere along Harbor (so you can cut through Downtown Disney) or one of the hotels on Katella like the Westin, which is really close to where you'll need to go for the race starts. The races all end over near the Disneyland Hotel, so keep that in mind for the walk back.
Avengers and the main DL race weekend were both in the second half of the year, IIRC one was September (Labor Day weekend?) and the other November.

Avengers and the main DL race weekend were both in the second half of the year, IIRC one was September (Labor Day weekend?) and the other November.
Yeah, DL HM I did in 2010 was September 5.

Yep. The previous Disneyland Half was Labor Day Weekend (so technically summer) or at least it was in 2015 when I did it.

And it was awesome that you could just walk to the start line from nearby hotels! No extremely early wake up calls. And PT feels like 2 hours later than CT, so it feels even later and like a normal morning!

Duh. I forgot that the main race weekend had been labor day.

I will say, having run some of them, I prefer the weather in February. It is always SO HOT around Labor day.

I’m also happy I have CrD so I get early registration (at least for this race, who knows how they might change the terms and conditions on the membership later)
I'm curious about how this will work. I'm CrD for the first time and have never participated in a DL race. It's interesting that there are dates listed, but then language elsewhere suggests CrD are only eligible for WDW events. Is there a CrD for DL?

Also, what are the races typically offered in January? I've seen a reference to a challenge but not sure what that involves.

I'm curious about how this will work. I'm CrD for the first time and have never participated in a DL race. It's interesting that there are dates listed, but then language elsewhere suggests CrD are only eligible for WDW events. Is there a CrD for DL?

Also, what are the races typically offered in January? I've seen a reference to a challenge but not sure what that involves.

DLR race weekends (regardless of month) have usually been a 5k, 10k, and half with a 10k+half challenge. DLHM weekend's challenge was called the Double Dare previously so will be interesting to see if they keep that.

I would love them to have a separate "just for DLR races" CrD. I wouldn't buy into it, but it would feel a little more fair to the west coast to give them a chance at it for their own races. Plus more money for Disney because there are people who would absolutely buy into a separate CrD just because we all know it's going to be a mess trying to register.

DLR race weekends (regardless of month) have usually been a 5k, 10k, and half with a 10k+half challenge. DLHM weekend's challenge was called the Double Dare previously so will be interesting to see if they keep that.

I would love them to have a separate "just for DLR races" CrD. I wouldn't buy into it, but it would feel a little more fair to the west coast to give them a chance at it for their own races. Plus more money for Disney because there are people who would absolutely buy into a separate CrD just because we all know it's going to be a mess trying to register.
I think the best solution for CrD would be to have more tiers: WDW silver, gold, and platinum, DL silver, gold, and platinum, and CtC silver, gold, and platinum.

But there’s no way they‘re going to get anything new implemented before the first DL registration, so I think they’ll just be letting current members use their registration benefits for that, regardless of the language in the T&Cs (that was probably written before they’d figured out whether and when they were going to be restarting rD in DL)

I think the best solution for CrD would be to have more tiers: WDW silver, gold, and platinum, DL silver, gold, and platinum, and CtC silver, gold, and platinum.

But there’s no way they‘re going to get anything new implemented before the first DL registration, so I think they’ll just be letting current members use their registration benefits for that, regardless of the language in the T&Cs (that was probably written before they’d figured out whether and when they were going to be restarting rD in DL)

Most likely. As I said, nothing I would buy into. It would just be a fair gesture to others.

They offered so little information beyond "would be returning in 2024" at D23 Expo that even if someone registered for CrD back in October when it reopened for the new season (only a handful of weeks after announcement about West Coast races returning), there was a chance it wouldn't be valid for those races at all.

I'll be very curious what they end up doing going forward. But I agree they're likely to just let current CrD go forward as is without messing yet with any other potential new tier until later.

It rained the whole morning of the 10k...

Tink 10k 2016? It sprinkled for like an hour if even that. Went back in my photo memories and I still have the screenshot of my weather app too showing only a couple hours of 40% rain from 6-8am.

Honestly even that little sprinkle was great, though. Kept it from being too warm.

It rained the whole morning of the 10k...

Tink 10k 2016? It sprinkled for like an hour if even that. Went back in my photo memories and I still have the screenshot of my weather app too showing only a couple hours of 40% rain from 6-8am.

Honestly even that little sprinkle was great, though. Kept it from being too warm.

I don't recall any rain for the whole weekend in 2017. I did the 10K and Half and it was perfection!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter