• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL does not care about repeat cruisers?

DCL does not care about repeat cruisers

• True

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • False

Votes: 111 80.4%

• Total voters
My thought is a little different. I have a bit of an issue with the status of past cruisers. The levels of silver, gold and platinum are made for inequality. For example, my family lives in Canada and have done three cruises so far, all have been seven nights. That puts us at silver but we have paid for 21 nights as opposed to the people who live near a port and book a three night cruise and are at the same level as we are. Five cruises of seven nights cost more
money than the five cruises of three nights to get to the same level. Most cruise lines use nights spent aboard to calculate levels and I think that system is way more logical!

While your example is certainly one way to look the inequality of DCL's cruising levels; there is perhaps at least another way for DCL to reward cruising levels. This would be to reward levels based on Dollars spent. For example a 4 night cruise during the Christmas Holidays or Spring break can be more expensive than a seven night in January or October. I don't even want to get into the cost of Concierge, suffice it to say our NYE cruise on the Dream in Concierge was way more expensive, than any of 7 night cruises we took on the Fantasy in May or September. Bottom line I'm sure there are a number of ways to set up loyalty programs, but probably all would have some "flaws". Personally I'm good with the existing program.

While your example is certainly one way to look the inequality of DCL's cruising levels; there is perhaps at least another way for DCL to reward cruising levels. This would be to reward levels based on Dollars spent. For example a 4 night cruise during the Christmas Holidays or Spring break can be more expensive than a seven night in January or October. I don't even want to get into the cost of Concierge, suffice it to say our NYE cruise on the Dream in Concierge was way more expensive, than any of 7 night cruises we took on the Fantasy in May or September. Bottom line I'm sure there are a number of ways to set up loyalty programs, but probably all would have some "flaws". Personally I'm good with the existing program.
I was thinking that the way the DCL program was set up was originally based on the fact that most DCL cruises (at the time) were the shorter cruises, and DCL made it so it didn't take a long time to get to the next level by basing their levels on #of cruises and not # of nights.

Now that DCL offers more variety in the length of cruise, this isn't so much an issue. I think that using a system of # of nights (with double night awards for Concierge/suites) is more equitable. It took us 3 years (and 53 nights) to make Gold, and we're sitting here 3 years more (and up to 85 nights) and we're still not Platinum.

When figuring in amount spent, it's likely that amount won't include the cost of airfare and hotel stays necessary for those of us who have to basically fly everytime we cruise DCL. Locals don't have that added cost.

I'm platinum and I can tell you for our 11 night Norway/Iceland cruise in June, there were several port adventures that did "sell out" with the Platinums checking in and booking them. I'm not sure if more will open up but at least that was a perk for those that impacted to book what was important to them. I didn't want the ones that sold out so that didn't impact me. As mentioned, I have read and seen recent reports they are allowing the brunch for the comp meal with no problems. I'm hoping that's the case as we prefer not to do the dinner as we enjoy eating together as a family in the MDR every night. I'm okay if they say no, however I will provide feedback and ask they perhaps change it back if needed. Perhaps if enough give ideas and suggestions, you never know. :)

I appreciate the #1 boarding number I'll be able to take advantage of and also being able to book new cruises on opening day ahead of the masses, one day early. I do understand what you are saying in regards to other lines and what they offer. I know Carnival offers free laundry to their Platinum cruisers and I believe they can access their cabins first (like their FTTF) and I would really enjoy that perk. If anything, just to drop off our carryons and then go explore. I love the laundry idea but honestly don't think I'd trust anyone else to wash my clothes (just being honest) so that's not a biggie but it's a great idea. I know there are many more out there.

I agree with others, it's a balancing act as they don't want to upset the others but yet they do want the repeat cruisers to feel special.

Heather

I think that DCL basically set themselves up when they started the different CC levels. There were so many perks for platinum and people reached that status faster than DCL anticipated. The perks started to disappear...additional OBB OBC, exclusive behind the scenes tours, and a couple other things I can't remember at the moment. Ad far as booking windows, when we first started cruising with DCL in 2003 only concierge could reserve Palo & excursions before the cruise. I am thankful that DCL made that bit easier with the booking windows online ahead of time so we don't have to stand in a bunch of lines the first day onboard. They wouldn't be able to open them up to all of the guests at once or DCL's sketchy servers would crash from the load each time. At least the CC levels keep it consistent. People wouldn't be happy if they opened online booking by deck or alphabetically either.

Rewarding based on money spent makes absolutely no sense to me. Why should someone who booked opening day rates earn less "points" because someone else waited to book six months later after rates have gone up? If you want to earn points based on money spent I suggest investing in a credit card.

If you take a look at other lines, the majority award status based on number of nights, cruise length and even room type. I think doing it that way sets a more level playing field. Cruise critic has a very good article on the loyalty programs on almost every line. DCL is behind the times.

Disney overall is known in the marketing world for striking a pretty good balance between not devaluing a premium priced product with perks, and giving enough perks to satisfy return customers. I have cruised NCL, HAL, RCL and Disney, and my email box and postal mail box get weekly offers to return. Disneys always just offer some perks, the other lines, well, I still haven't been offered a Disney 7 day cruise for $399 like I have on the other lines. Of course, all the lines would go belly up of you just paid the fare, they don't start making money until you start doing excursions, and start drinking and eating in the extra cost restaurants.

Compared to other companies in the travel industry, DCL does very little for repeat customers. Take for example with hotels (I.e Marriott) early check in, late check out, free wifi, free upgrade (when available), free club access. The list goes on. It does influence my decision. I have a lot of points and perks with Marriott/Ritz Carlton so I continue to book them. It's nice for a company show you a little appreciation with you spend tens of thousands of dollars. I was disappointed on my first gold cruise (in terms of "perks" not cruise). Despite having the earliest check in, I had a high boarding number and the Captain or high officers didn't bother with our Castaway Club reception. We got stuck with cruise director Natalie who we saw numerous times throughout the cruise- nothing special.

Disney overall is known in the marketing world for striking a pretty good balance between not devaluing a premium priced product with perks, and giving enough perks to satisfy return customers. I have cruised NCL, HAL, RCL and Disney, and my email box and postal mail box get weekly offers to return. Disneys always just offer some perks, the other lines, well, I still haven't been offered a Disney 7 day cruise for $399 like I have on the other lines. Of course, all the lines would go belly up of you just paid the fare, they don't start making money until you start doing excursions, and start drinking and eating in the extra cost restaurants.
This is true. The last real DCL discount that I can recall was a $99 per person / 3 day bounce back offer in 2009 when the economy tanked and people were not traveling. We did this on the Wonder.

Compared to other companies in the travel industry, DCL does very little for repeat customers. Take for example with hotels (I.e Marriott) early check in, late check out, free wifi, free upgrade (when available), free club access. The list goes on. It does influence my decision. I have a lot of points and perks with Marriott/Ritz Carlton so I continue to book them. It's nice for a company show you a little appreciation with you spend tens of thousands of dollars. I was disappointed on my first gold cruise (in terms of "perks" not cruise). Despite having the earliest check in, I had a high boarding number and the Captain or high officers didn't bother with our Castaway Club reception. We got stuck with cruise director Natalie who we saw numerous times throughout the cruise- nothing special.
Marriott has a lot more rooms to fill and much greater competition. Disney only has 4 ships and in my opinion, little competition as far as quality and family cruising are concerned.

Rewarding based on money spent makes absolutely no sense to me. Why should someone who booked opening day rates earn less "points" because someone else waited to book six months later after rates have gone up? If you want to earn points based on money spent I suggest investing in a credit card.

If you take a look at other lines, the majority award status based on number of nights, cruise length and even room type. I think doing it that way sets a more level playing field. Cruise critic has a very good article on the loyalty programs on almost every line. DCL is behind the times.

It was my post that used dollars spent as just another way to look at rewarding repeat cruisers. I was just throwing out another alternative. But as i said personally, I'm good with the program that exists today.

False. I'll be a first time cruiser (with Disney, have cruised before) and I'm already worried if we'll get the excursions we want being the last to be able to sign up. Hopefully I am worried for no reason.

False. I'll be a first time cruiser (with Disney, have cruised before) and I'm already worried if we'll get the excursions we want being the last to be able to sign up. Hopefully I am worried for no reason.

It will be okay. The only trouble we have had is getting spa treatments and Palo brunch, but both of these can be booked on board. They don't offer all slots on-line prior to sailing.

Maybe, but what they are doing reportedly has netted them the highest repeat customer base of any cruise line. So are they behind the times, or have they discovered, what they are doing is working better than what anyone else is doing?

They are behind when it comes to status levels and the way they are calculated. There are a few posters that have 30+ cruises with DCL. Even if those were all 3 night cruises that is still 90 nights onboard. They most definitely deserve more than what platinum currently gives.

They are behind when it comes to status levels and the way they are calculated. There are a few posters that have 30+ cruises with DCL. Even if those were all 3 night cruises that is still 90 nights onboard. They most definitely deserve more than what platinum currently gives.

Not only that, our in laws have earned extra days on Holland based on money they have spent onboard. Not sure if type of room comes in to play too.

I can't comment on if they deserve it, but you made my point. If they have booked 30 plus cruises and are still coming back, Disney doesn't need to do anything, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I'm just silver, doing our second cruise ... thinking repeat cruisers get all the goodies. The one thing we would have really loved is a family cabana on Castaway Cay, but it is near impossible for a newbie to get one. Repeat cruisers keep getting them. ;)

I was really surprised by how little DCL gives loyal, repeat customers. Having come from some cruises on RCCL, I thought it would be similar. Basically, compared to what we get on RCCL (not a very high level either), we would get nothing for the same level on DCL. However, it didn't stop us from doing one, even with much higher prices. We will probably do another too. DCL has a good product, and they know it. So, I guess they don't have to provide many incentives to get ya back. I wish they would offer some loyalty discounts though, besides onboard booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter