Cruising Into February 2024 Exercise Thread

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for being the first team member to reach Fantasy Pink!

The Disney Fantasy was DCL's fourth ship. Launched in 2012, she was the second Dream class ship. Like the Dream, she was built at the Meyer Werft shipyards in Papenburg, Germany. Like the Disney Wonder, though, she is decorated in Art Nouveau style.

From DCL: "Muppet Pepe the King Prawn, who stars in the ship’s new Midship Detective Agency game, has his very own stateroom on the Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream. Located down the hall from the youth clubs, the door to stateroom 5148 ½ is decked out with Pepe’s activity schedule, photos of his Muppet friends and notes from guests. While no one has ever actually seen the Muppet-sized door open, Pepe has not been shy bragging about the space reserved just for him."

And you know I'm going to ask: which characters were chosen for the stern and the atrium?

Congratulations to PollyannaMom and me for turning Fantasy Pink!

From DCL: "Ahoy, mateys! Subtle nautical motif adorns Disney Cruise Line ships, including traditional maritime symbols and lettering that only the conscientious sailor can spot. For example, on the carpet in the Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream stateroom corridors, a ship’s wheel encompasses a map of the world and nautical flags spell out the name of the ship."

And more congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for being the first to reach Wish Red!

The Disney Wish is DCL's fifth and largest ship. Built in the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, she is longer than the Dream and the Fantasy by 4 feet. She launched in July 2022; runs on liquified natural gas (LNG); has a crew of 1,555; and can carry 4,000 passengers.

On the stern is:

And in the atrium is:

And here's a fun fact I remember from the press surrounding the Wish's maiden voyage: the Wish does not have a godmother, but instead godchildren -- all of the past, present, and future Make-a-Wish kids.

On a DCL cruise out of Florida, you're likely to visit Castaway Cay, Disney's private island in The Bahamas. (Disney doesn't own the island, but instead has a 99-year lease that started in the 1990s.). This was the first cruise-line private destination to have a pier, so that passengers didn't have to tender. The island is about 3 miles long, with an area of about 1000 acres.

Castaway Cay has a fascinating history that may include pirates and that definitely included drug smugglers (allegedly a 1980s raid revealed $100 million in cocaine). The latter likely took advantage of a runway a business investor built on the island in the 1960s. The runway isn't used now, but DCL guests use it has a highway to reach Serenity Bay.

Disney being Disney, though, it created its own backstory for the island. From Undercover Tourist: "Three explorers set sail to the scattered islands of the Bahamas in search of fame and fortune. They brought along their families and a diverse crew. Through mild mishap and extreme good fortune, they located the objects of their desire–sunken treasures and the secret of youth. Though castaway on this island, they had no desire to leave due to the breathtaking beauty of this tropical paradise. Visitors to this island can still see the original structures built by the explorers and take part in many of the same pleasures our castaways enjoyed years ago. Disney Cruise Line welcomes you to the island paradise of your dreams, Castaway Cay.”

I've never visited Castaway Cay (our only Disney Cruise was out of San Diego) but it looks like fun. One of the unique features is a snorkeling area featuring Disney statues, including a Dumbo ride car!

Congratulations to ShannyMcB for turning Dream Purple and to PollyannaMom for turning Wish Red!

From DCL: "A 'light point' is shipbuilders’ lingo for 'anything that’s a light.' There are approximately 80,000 light points on the Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream— 'double the normal number for a ship this size,' according to Meyer Werft, the shipyard in Germany where the Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream were built. The large number is the result of Disney’s flare for theatrical experiences—accomplished primarily with LEDs and other environmentally friendly lighting."

Some of those light points are in the kids' club. Also from DCL: "Star Wars: Millennium Falcon in Disney’s Oceaneer Club on the Disney Dream is one of the most detailed youth spaces ever designed for a Disney ship. It features more than 1,000 LED lights, four animated props—including R2-D2 and Luke Skywalker’s training remote—and dozens of unique sound effects. Interactive buttons, levers and controls allow children to trigger special detours through the galaxy, such as the Death Star trench run sequence from the original 1987 Star Tours attraction at Disneyland."

As for the Wish, one of the rotational dining restaurants is Arendelle: A Frozen Dining Adventure, which features a live show. A highlight appears to be a wonderful Olaf animatronic!

I have 110 minutes to add since my last post. Several exercise videos, walking, and yoga. My brother, my sister-in-law, and my niece are in town visiting so we'll see how much exercising I get done. It shouldn't be too hard, though. They all go to bed at like 8:30, so I can always get a little cardio in at night.

555/650

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith for turning Fantasy Pink and to me for turning Wish Red!

Starting in June, DCL passengers will have not only one private island space, but two! DCL will introduce Disney Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point, also in the Bahamas. This one is not a separate island, but is on Eleuthera.

No one has had the opportunity to sail to the new space yet, but here's a Disney Parks Blog article with concept art.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter