Anyone Going On Any ABD Iceland Trips in 2024

Bad Pink Tink 2.0

Original Join Date March 2015
Just curious if there is anyone booked on the Iceland trips
  • May 22, 2024
  • June 22, 2024
  • July 13, 2024
  • September 25, 2024
Since before Christmas I have been following all the volcanic activity in the south peninsula, at the town of Grindavig and the Svartsengi region.

The eruption in January has caused huge damage to the town of Grindavig, and no one is allowed to live there or even be in the town if they are not official workers.

The most recent eruption was last week in the Svartsengi region. This is where The Blue Lagoon is located. The lava from last weeks eruption was about half a mile from the Blue Lagoon and destroyed the main road to the resort.

The eruption started at about 5.30am and guests had to be evacuation before the lava destroyed the road.

The Blue Lagoon has reopened again, they built a road over the new lava. But that whole area is very unstable and another eruption could happen at any time.

I havent seen anyone talking about this here, even though The Blue Lagoon is a scheduled stop on the all the 2024 ABD trips.

Just curious if there is anyone booked on the Iceland trips
  • May 22, 2024
  • June 22, 2024
  • July 13, 2024
  • September 25, 2024
Since before Christmas I have been following all the volcanic activity in the south peninsula, at the town of Grindavig and the Svartsengi region.

The eruption in January has caused huge damage to the town of Grindavig, and no one is allowed to live there or even be in the town if they are not official workers.

The most recent eruption was last week in the Svartsengi region. This is where The Blue Lagoon is located. The lava from last weeks eruption was about half a mile from the Blue Lagoon and destroyed the main road to the resort.

The eruption started at about 5.30am and guests had to be evacuation before the lava destroyed the road.

The Blue Lagoon has reopened again, they built a road over the new lava. But that whole area is very unstable and another eruption could happen at any time.

I havent seen anyone talking about this here, even though The Blue Lagoon is a scheduled stop on the all the 2024 ABD trips.
Yes, we are booked on the July 13th trip (myself, husband, adult daughter). I am aware of the instability in the region but probably won’t cancel if AbD is still going. Time will tell I suppose.

Yes, we are booked on the July 13th trip (myself, husband, adult daughter). I am aware of the instability in the region but probably won’t cancel if AbD is still going. Time will tell I suppose.
You should check out this video from Walk With Me Tim. He is a UK travel vlogger who reviews hotels and resorts. He was staying at Silca Hotel and was evacuated at 6am. He vlogged what happened, its frightening to think that the lava was so close to the resort.

You should check out this video from Walk With Me Tim. He is a UK travel vlogger who reviews hotels and resorts. He was staying at Silca Hotel and was evacuated at 6am. He vlogged what happened, its frightening to think that the lava was so close to the resort.

Thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely watch it.

This is just a bit beyond regular daily life for Iceland. I do feel for the population of Grindavik. Iceland has a huge amount of volcanic activity. They know how to deal with it. The recent eruption has had little impact on the rest of the country or on tourism. There are several good hot springs in the area besides the Blue Lagoon.

This is the most recent drone view of the new lava fields. It was filmed on Saturday 24 February. It shows the road to The Blue which the lava flowed across. This road has now been re opened. They built a new road on top of the lava to re open access to The Blue Lagoon.

This is a map of the area. You can see how close to The Blue Lagoon the lava went.

blue 3.jpg

This is a map of the 2024 eruption sites. They have done amazing work building huge ditch to contain the lava flows but you can see the fissures all start in a relatively straight line.
map.jpg

Yikes! This would be the 2nd time I guess in recent weeks? Crazy! Of course, the folks in Iceland are really good at responding to stuff like this, but I hope it doesn't do any permanent damage!

Sayhello
Me, too. I was surprised by how much I loved the Blue Lagoon when we went there.

Me, too. I was surprised by how much I loved the Blue Lagoon when we went there.
I have to say, I wasn't able to enjoy it because it was raining sideways while I was there plus being FREEZING cold! I really liked Myvatn better. But I imagine that under better circumstances, the Blue Lagoon is great! And I like that ABD has made it actually a part of the ABD now, like Myvatn used to be. The shared experience was definitely a part of what made me like Myvatn.

Sayhello

New eruption just started in the last hour. Its currently just after 9pm local time in Iceland so its dark, check news stories. I'll update in a while with an exact location. Its again in the same area, near Blue Lagoon and Grindavick.

Screencap from Þorbjorn - Close up at 11.15pm Iceland time

Lava on the left heading towards the bearm / ditch, the dark line in the centre which protects the town of Grindavig, which are the lights on the right
iceland march 2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter