Annual Reading Goal Challenge for 2016 - Come and join us!

I'm also slogging through Truly, Madly, Deeply...it's not bad but certainly not up to par with her other stuff. The big "event" was nothing that earth shattering so the book is really just about all these characters and how their lives changed at that point in time.

Finished book #53/65 - I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

When I started this book, it seemed confusing & I didn't understand the behavior of Jenna. Then the author's trick was revealed and it fell into place. I did not see it coming and it made the story. A lot of books are obvious with the twists & turns in them, but this one got me.

In a split second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows to start afresh. Desperate to escape, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of a cruel November night that changed her life forever.
Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating . . .

Finished book #54/65 - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling and others

I am huge Harry Potter fan and was excited to be able to read this. I do have to say because it is written as a screenplay instead of a novel, it is a different read. It's a lot of dialog and little description which works for a play, but makes it difficult to feel immersed in the wizarding world like the series. It also has a lot of history from the other books in it so it didn't seem like that much new adding to the story. There are some plot holes that are unbelievable which I won't mention to spoil the story for others. Ron was reduced to just being there for comic relief, which was sad. I will say it doesn't read like Rowling wrote it. She is very thorough when it comes to the HP series and these flaws and plot holes are hard to believe they came from her. I did like Scorpius a lot and Draco's relationship with him. I liked that Albus and Scorpius are friends. I liked Albus and wished to have been with him more through his Hogwarts years, than just a quick pass over them. Of course, for a play, you can't have all that in it, which I do understand. My hope would be that this story would be written more elaborately as a true 8th novel. A girl can dream, right?

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

#49/75: Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty (3/5) (realistic fiction)

#50/75: First Comes Love by Emily Giffin (3/5) (realistic fiction)

#40/72
A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreckage of a plane–the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash. In order to hide, keep, and share the fortune, these ordinary men all agree to a simple plan.
But we all know there are no simple plans.

This was pretty good but I spent most of it thinking I had read it before but couldn't remember much about what happened. Then I realized that it was actually made into a movie a while back, lol.
A good read.

46/80 - Edge of Evil by J.A. Jance. Genre - mystery

The end of her high-profile broadcasting career came too soon for TV journalist Alison Reynolds -- bounced off the air by executives who wanted a "younger face." With a divorce from her cheating husband of ten years also pending, there is nothing keeping her in L.A. any longer. Cut loose from her moorings, Ali is summoned back home to Sedona, Arizona, by the death of a childhood friend. Once there she seeks solace in the comforting rhythms of her parents' diner, the Sugarloaf Café, and launches an on-line blog as therapy for others who have been similarly cut loose.

But when threatening posts begin appearing, Ali finds out that running a blog is far more up-close and personal than sitting behind a news desk. And far more dangerous. Suddenly something dark and deadly is swirling around her life . . . and a killer may be hunting her next.

27/50 - Find Her

Someone else posted this book already. I don't usually read books like this but I was glad I did.

#16 The Forgotten Room
Lincoln Child
I should have known better hen it started with the main character both disproving and proving the Lochness Monster as a weekend paid vacation.
It went downhill from there.

(If anyone is interested in reading any of my works, I would gladly send kindle gift versions of any (Written for You , Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, or Reigning. You can see them on goodreads.)

#9/12 - Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

I'd looked at this book several times before finding it on sale and deciding to go ahead and read it. I'm very glad I did. I didn't love it but I found myself very engaged at times. I even got out of bed one night so could finish it. I enjoy the time period and the act that it is a series so I think I'll check out book #2.

Here's the info: The book is told in present day and flashbacks as a means to acquaint you with the main character. Maisie started out life as a maid but through the help of her employer is now an educated and employed PI, of sorts. The story takes place between in the aftermath of the Great War and deals with matters pertaining to that. And theres a mystery or two. Good intro novel.

Kristen

Book 13 of 15: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wendig.

Set between the events of "Return of the Jedi" and "The Force Awakens, "the never-before-told story that began with "Star Wars: Aftermath" continues in this thrilling novel, the second book of Chuck Wendig s "New York Times" bestselling trilogy.

"It is a dark time for the Empire. . . ."

The Emperor is dead, and the remnants of his former Empire are in retreat. As the New Republic fights to restore a lasting peace to the galaxy, some dare to imagine new beginnings and new destinies. For Han Solo, that means settling his last outstanding debt, by helping Chewbacca liberate the Wookiee s homeworld of Kashyyyk.

Meanwhile, Norra Wexley and her band of Imperial hunters pursue Grand Admiral Rae Sloane and the Empire s remaining leadership across the galaxy. Even as more and more officers are brought to justice, Sloane continues to elude the New Republic, and Norra fears Sloane may be searching for a means to save the crumbling Empire from oblivion. But the hunt for Sloane is cut short when Norra receives an urgent request from Princess Leia Organa. The attempt to liberate Kashyyyk has carried Han Solo, Chewbacca, and a band of smugglers into an ambush resulting in Chewie s capture and Han s disappearance.

Breaking away from their official mission and racing toward the "Millennium Falcon" s last known location, Norra and her crew prepare for any challenge that stands between them and their missing comrades. But they can t anticipate the true depth of the danger that awaits them or the ruthlessness of the enemy drawing them into his crosshairs.

4 Stars. Much better than the previous Aftermath book in the Wendig's trilogy of books that tell the story of the New Republic and Empire immediately after Return of the Jedi. I did not appreciate Wendig's writing style in the previous book. This book felt much less stilted and stream-of-conciousness. I also found the story more appealing because it included both the new characters introduced in Aftermath as well as classic characters (specifically Leia, Han, and Chewie).

Up Next: Not sure. Probably George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution by Brian Kilmeade & Don Yaeger

47/80 - The Fifth Wave by Richard Yancey

The Passage meets Ender's Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey. After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

I look forward to the next book in the series.

Finished book #55/65 - The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

This is a twist on fairy tales. Pretty good story. The part with Snow White and the 7 Dwarves is funny, especially the Dwarves' description of what "happily ever after" really means. By the way, this isn't a book for kids.

High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness. Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld. While his family falls apart around him, David is violently propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.

#24/50: Truly, Madly, Guilty - Liane Moriaty. Meh...so-so.
that's pretty much how I felt about it!

#9/12 - Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

I'd looked at this book several times before finding it on sale and deciding to go ahead and read it. I'm very glad I did. I didn't love it but I found myself very engaged at times. I even got out of bed one night so could finish it. I enjoy the time period and the act that it is a series so I think I'll check out book #2.

Here's the info: The book is told in present day and flashbacks as a means to acquaint you with the main character. Maisie started out life as a maid but through the help of her employer is now an educated and employed PI, of sorts. The story takes place between in the aftermath of the Great War and deals with matters pertaining to that. And theres a mystery or two. Good intro novel.

Kristen

I am currently reading #9 in the series!

#51/75: Lost Dog by Alan Russell (4.5/5) (Gideon and Sirius #3) (detective with canine partner)

#52/75: The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth (3.5/5) (fiction)

#53/75: The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny (4.5/5) (Chief Inspector Gamache #5) (Canadian mystery)

Finished book #56/65 - How to Set a Fire and Why by Jesse Ball

This was a really boring story in my opinion. I didn't care for it at all. The description is more exciting than the actual events.

Lucia's father is dead; her mother is in a mental institute; she's living in a garage-turned-bedroom with her aunt. And now she's been kicked out of school—again. Making her way through the world with only a book, a zippo lighter, a pocket full of stolen licorice, a biting wit, and striking intelligence she tries to hide, she spends her days riding the bus to visit her mother and following the only rule that makes any sense to her: Don't do things you aren't proud of. But when she discovers that her new school has a secret Arson Club, she's willing to do anything to be a part of it, and her life is suddenly lit up. And as her fascination with the Arson Club grows, her story becomes one of misguided friendship and, ultimately, destruction.

48/80 - Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb

The first book in a brand new trilogy from the author of the Farseer, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies. When the two-hundred year war between the kingdoms of Vania and Landsing ended the Landsingers were left in triumphant possession of Vania's rich coal and coast territories. When young King Troven assumed the throne of Vania thirty years later, he was determined to restore her greatness, not through waging another assault upon their traditional enemies, but by looking in the opposite direction and colonising the wild plains and steppes to their east. Over the next twenty years, cavalry forces manage to subdue the rolling plains formerly wasted on nomadic herders and tribesmen.Troven's campaign restores the pride of the Varnian military and to reward them, Troven creates a new nobility that is extremely loyal to their monarch. Beyond the grasslands lies the current frontier of Varnia, the heavily forested Barrier Mountains, home to enigmatic Specks: a dappled, forest dwelling people, unable to tolerate the heat and full sunlight of the plains. The new settlers find the Specks slightly dim-witted and overly placid, and yet strangely difficult to control. There are tales that they are 'blood-drinkers' and their nature worship of ancestral trees has presented difficulties for those who wish to harvest the forest's exotic timber. They also harbour strange diseases, ones that cause the Specks little more than a week or two of discomfort but which frequently kills those settlers and soldiers who fall victim to it. For that reason, prolonged contact, and especially intimate contact with the Specks is judged both fool-hardy and disgusting. Nevare Gerar is the second son of one of King Troven's new lords. Following in his father's footsteps, a commission as a cavalry officer at the frontier and an advantageous marriage await him, once he has completed his training at the King's Cavalry Academy.

#54/75: Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear (4/5) (Maisie Dobbs #9/pre-WWII English detective)

Finished book #20 of 30, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin.

Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

It was ok. The story was all over the place and at times a little hard to follow. I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the series.

#59 - The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin

From Goodreads: In The Passage and The Twelve, Justin Cronin brilliantly imagined the fall of civilization and humanity's desperate fight to survive. Now all is quiet on the horizon, but does silence promise the nightmare's end or the second coming of unspeakable darkness?

It has been a long time since I read the first two books in The Passage trilogy, but I've been looking forward to this one for a while and was far too impatient to reread the earlier books to refresh my memory. And on whole I think it was a fitting conclusion to the story arc, though I found the main antagonist and his motivations a bit confounding. Still, his backstory was a fascinating look into how the apocalypse began as a series of decisions made by very smart men with very good intentions that went wrong and became corrupted along the way. I thought the early sections of the book got a bit bogged down in the politics and power struggles of the community that rose after the major battle at the end of The Twelve, with a lot of details that I didn't feel added much to the story. The best part, I thought, was the very ending where we get a glimpse of the rebuilding and growth of A.V. society as well as of the "monsters" longevity and mortality via the mutated-but-not-evil Amy at the end of her life.

#60 - The Secret Lives of Bats by Merlin Tuttle

From Goodreads: From menacing moonshiners and armed bandits to charging elephants and man-eating tigers, Merlin Tuttle has stopped at nothing to find and protect bats on every continent they inhabit. Enamored of bats ever since discovering a colony in a cave as a boy, Tuttle saw how effective photography could be in persuading people not to fear bats, and he has spent his career traveling the world to document them. Few people realize how sophisticated and intelligent bats are. Tuttle shares research showing that frog-eating bats can identify frogs by their calls, that vampire bats have a social order similar to that of primates, and that bats have remarkable memories. Bats also provide enormous benefits by eating crop pests, pollinating plants, and carrying seeds needed for reforestation. They save farmers billions of dollars annually and are essential to a healthy planet. Sharing highlights from a lifetime of adventure and discovery, Tuttle takes us to the frontiers of bat research and conservation and forever changes the way we see these poorly understood yet fascinating creatures.

I have no earthly idea what inspired me to pick this one up when I saw it on the library's new non-fiction shelf. I'm terrified of bats, a consequence of being a city girl transplanted to a rural town where if you don't keep unscreened windows or doors closed at dusk the winged monsters will fly right in and get themselves stuck. But it was a fascinating read nonetheless and maybe helped with that fear just a bit. The author is a lifelong bat lover and researcher, and each chapter is a different adventure he's had in decades of traveling the world researching and advocating for bat conservation. And he makes tropical fruit bats seem almost cute, both in description and in the photography included with the text.

#61 - Detroit Hustle: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Home by Amy Haimerl

From Goodreads: Journalist Amy Haimerl and her husband had been priced out of their Brooklyn neighborhood. Seeing this as a great opportunity to start over again, they decide to cash in their savings and buy an abandoned house for $35,000 in Detroit, the largest city in the United States to declare bankruptcy.
As she and her husband restore the 1914 Georgian Revival, a stately brick house with no plumbing, no heat, and no electricity, Amy finds a community of Detroiters who, like herself, aren’t afraid of a little hard work or things that are a little rough around the edges. Filled with amusing and touching anecdotes about navigating a real-estate market that is rife with scams, finding a contractor who is a lover of C.S. Lewis and willing to quote him liberally, and neighbors who either get teary-eyed at the sight of newcomers or urge Amy and her husband to get out while they can, Amy writes evocatively about the charms and challenges of finding her footing in a city whose future is in question. Detroit Hustle is a memoir that is both a meditation on what it takes to make a house a home, and a love letter to a much-derided city.

The author of this book is living my dream so I had to pick this one up. I even made it an exception to my New Year's Resolution about not buying books, even though I tend to have a love-hate relationship with books and articles about Detroit, especially when they're written by newcomers or visitors. But I did enjoy this. Haimerl has a light, funny, evocative writing style that captured the challenges both of moving to a city with as many problems as Detroit has and the inevitable "Money Pit" experiences of restoring a historic home (experiences I'm all too familiar with myself - we're fixing up our 1880 Victorian little by little, and should be done just about when we're ready to sell and move back to the city! LOL) without allowing those negatives to drag the story down into a litany of complaints.

#62 - Orphan Train by Christina Baker Cline

I got the recommendation for this one from this thread so I'm not going to repost the synopsis. I simply loved this book. The dual storylines, one in the present and one set during the Great Depression, wove together beautifully with parallels that spoke to constants not only in human nature but also in the way we as a society have served (or failed) the most vulnerable among us. A truly enjoyable work of fiction with something meaningful to say without feeling heavy-handed or preachy. I quite literally couldn't make myself put it down and stayed up WAY too late last night to finish it. I've passed it along to my daughter for her to read before I return it to the library.

Book #37/50: Party Girl by Rachel Hollis
Book #38/50: Sweet Girl by Rachel Hollis
Book #39/50: Smart Girl by Rachel Hollis

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter