Annual Reading Goal Challenge for 2016 - Come and join us!

Thanks wilma-bride! Now I don't have to feel so guilty when I can't get on the DIS as often as I should to keep this thread going.

My favorite book for 2015 was one of the last ones I read - I had already posted how the year was kind of a "ho hum" for me. But that changed when I read All Our Yesterdays! LOVED it! Crossing my fingers it becomes a movie someday. :)

My first book for 2016 is Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I'm already about 3/4 through it - really enjoying it! 2016 is off to a fantastic start! pixiedust:

I recently just added The 5th Wave to my winter read list since I heard it was coming out as a movie. So guess you could say I'm looking forward to reading that one this year!

You did a great job threeboysmom! I can't imagine the hard work it takes to keep up with a thread like this.
Thanks, Wilma-bride for taking over this year so we can continue.
I read both All Our Yesterdays and The 5th Wave last year and enjoyed them both.

I am joining again and have set my reading goal this year for 50 books to read. The books that I am most excited for this year are:
Glass Sword (Red Queen #2) by Victoria Aveyard
A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas
Untitled (Throne of Glass #5) by Sarah J. Maas (The title for this book has not been released yet)
The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, #1) by Rick Riordan
The Crown (The Selection, #5) by Kiera Cass
The Siren by Kiera Cass

The books that I am reading right now are:
Notorious (Max Revere Novels, #1) by Allison Brennan: Max goes back to her hometown for the funeral of her friend Kevin who killed himself. He could never get his life together after being accused of murdering his girlfriend Lindy Ames. Maxine is a report who works to solve murder cases that have gone cold.

Seven Threadly Sins (Threadville Mystery #5) by Janet Bolin: Willow who owns a store in Threadville Pennsylvania. This whole town has shops that all have to do with sewing, quilting, and others. Willow agrees to be in a fashion show that is being put on by a new school that teaches design.

Plum Pudding Murder by Joanne Fluke: Reading this because I watched the movie on Hallmark.

Dark Chocolate Demise (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #7) by Jenn McKinlay

The Iliad: A New Translation by Caroline Alexander

Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas

I will join in again and hopefully not disappear like last year. I did not make my goal of 65 in 2015 :( so I am lowering it to 50.

Book#1 of the year is " Shopaholic to the Rescue" by Sophie Kinsella. Starting with some fluff reading to get back into my reading.

Thanks wilma-bride! Now I don't have to feel so guilty when I can't get on the DIS as often as I should to keep this thread going.

My favorite book for 2015 was one of the last ones I read - I had already posted how the year was kind of a "ho hum" for me. But that changed when I read All Our Yesterdays! LOVED it! Crossing my fingers it becomes a movie someday. :)

My first book for 2016 is Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I'm already about 3/4 through it - really enjoying it! 2016 is off to a fantastic start! pixiedust:

I recently just added The 5th Wave to my winter read list since I heard it was coming out as a movie. So guess you could say I'm looking forward to reading that one this year!

You are very welcome. I am already beginning to realise how much work it is keeping up. I certainly won't be quoting/replying to everybody's posts for long :rotfl:

I assume All Our Yesterdays is the one by Cristin Terrill? I just added that to my Amazon Wish List, it sounds great.

I am glad you are joining in and hope you will find it more fun, without all the work that goes along with it, this year. Again, thank you so much for your hard work in keeping the threads going before :hug:

Hi all-
I'll join up again - and keep my as-yet unreached goal of 40 books. I was soooo close last year - it firmed my resolve for 2016. But, I'm approaching the goal as more fluid this time.
Thanks to wilma-bride, for keeping this going, and to threeboys mom for all your work! I'm adding your favorite book for 2014 to my list.

1/40 - A New York Christmas, Anne Perry - the daughter of Thomas and Charlotte Pitt enters the family business. Another in her continuing Christmas series - perfect to read over the holidays (if a murder mystery can be !) It's quick and interesting.
2/40 - Honeymoon in Paris, Jojo Moyes - another quick read. A prequel to The Girl You Left Behind - Moyes gives us insight to the wonderful characters in that book.

Thanks for joining, you're off to a good start already :thumbsup2

Books number 1 and 2 read - Christmas Gifts at the Beach Cafe by Lucy Diamond which is a follow on to Christmas at the Beach Cafe which I read at the weekend.

Both are nice easy reads which don't need much concentration

Well done :thumbsup2

I would like to join. I got a lot of great book recommendations by following the group last year.

I am going to set my goal at 30. I am starting on my National Board Certification (I'm an elementary teacher) next week, and I don't know how much of my free time that will take.

Welcome, welcome (just realised I sound like Effie Trinket when I type that) :rotfl:

Good luck with your certification :goodvibes

I've followed these threads looking for recommendations, but I think I'm going to jump in this year. I always feel like I'm sitting in front of my computer too much and not reading enough, so maybe this will help! :)

I'll set my goal at 12 books and raise it if I surprise myself!

I'm currently reading:

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson which is my-stomach-hurts-from-laughing-so-hard funny (but it is crude and has some language, just a heads up)

Thanks for joining in :)

Yes it is. A friend of mine in California (who I met online, but never in person, about 15yrs ago) sent it to me.

How lovely, I collect Disney Traditions but only the Mickey and Minnie ones. I will have to keep an eye out for that one.

I am joining again and have set my reading goal this year for 50 books to read. The books that I am most excited for this year are:
Glass Sword (Red Queen #2) by Victoria Aveyard
A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas
Untitled (Throne of Glass #5) by Sarah J. Maas (The title for this book has not been released yet)
The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, #1) by Rick Riordan
The Crown (The Selection, #5) by Kiera Cass
The Siren by Kiera Cass

The books that I am reading right now are:
Notorious (Max Revere Novels, #1) by Allison Brennan: Max goes back to her hometown for the funeral of her friend Kevin who killed himself. He could never get his life together after being accused of murdering his girlfriend Lindy Ames. Maxine is a report who works to solve murder cases that have gone cold.

Seven Threadly Sins (Threadville Mystery #5) by Janet Bolin: Willow who owns a store in Threadville Pennsylvania. This whole town has shops that all have to do with sewing, quilting, and others. Willow agrees to be in a fashion show that is being put on by a new school that teaches design.

Plum Pudding Murder by Joanne Fluke: Reading this because I watched the movie on Hallmark.

Dark Chocolate Demise (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #7) by Jenn McKinlay

The Iliad: A New Translation by Caroline Alexander

Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas

Thanks for joining us. Looks like you ahe some great books to look forward to in 2016 :)

I will join in again and hopefully not disappear like last year. I did not make my goal of 65 in 2015 :( so I am lowering it to 50.

Book#1 of the year is " Shopaholic to the Rescue" by Sophie Kinsella. Starting with some fluff reading to get back into my reading.

Welcome. I hope you make your goal this year. I read the Shopaholic to the Rescue book last year and was disappointed - I didn't think it was up to the usual standard. Definitely easy reading though :thumbsup2

Book #2 of 50 - Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Most people dismissed the reports on the news. But they became too frequent; they became too real. And soon it was happening to people we knew.
Then the Internet died. The televisions and radios went silent. The phones stopped ringing
And we couldn’t look outside anymore.

Since this was on my 'to read' list and was highly recommended by @Soldier's*Sweeties I figured I would bump it up. If I tell you that I started reading it when I went to bed at 9.30 last night, read half of it before I gave up (from sheer exhaustion) at midnight, then resumed reading it while at a hospital consultation this morning and just finished it now, that should give you an idea of how much I enjoyed this book. If 'enjoyed' is the right word. The blurb above doesn't really tell you much about the book but, essentially, what starts with a seemingly isolated incident in Russia spreads throughout the World, to the point where people can no longer go outside or, if they do, they need to be blindfolded. I don't want to give anything away but, if you have this book on your 'to read' list then wait no longer. Read. It. Now! If you like psychological thrillers/horror novels, it will be right up your street.

I would like to join with a goal of only 20. That is very small compared to the avid readers here.

I just completed The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman and would highly recommend it. By the last few chapters I was hard, ugly crying. The author draws you into his characters and it was so hard to not care about those involved in this no win situation. It is the story of an Austrailian lighthouse keeper and his wife who have suffered two miscarriages and one still birth when a boat washes up on shore with a deadman and a very alive infant. The book is being made into a movie starring Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander.

I would like to join with a goal of only 20. That is very small compared to the avid readers here.

I just completed The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman and would highly recommend it. By the last few chapters I was hard, ugly crying. The author draws you into his characters and it was so hard to not care about those involved in this no win situation. It is the story of an Austrailian lighthouse keeper and his wife who have suffered two miscarriages and one still birth when a boat washes up on shore with a deadman and a very alive infant. The book is being made into a movie starring Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander.

Thanks for joining in. Doesn't matter how big or small your goal, everyone is welcome. That sounds like a great first book. I love books that bring out emotions, will check that one out. Thanks :)

Book 1 of 35 (started this before the New Year and just finished it this morning) The Assassin’s Blade : The Throne of Glass Novellas by Sarah J. Maas – 4 small prequel stories to The Throne of Glass novels. They are worth reading if you enjoyed the series as many references to these events and stories are made throughout the novels. It’s also nice to see how much the main character has grown throughout the series. Recommended if you've read the Throne of Glass novels and enjoyed them.

Next up is Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

Finished book number 1: Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan. I really enjoyed this one. Very similar to the Percy Jackson series. Magnus Chase finds out he is the son of one of the Norse gods, and is sent on a quest to recover his father's famous sword. It was a fun read, and I'm excited to see where this series will take me!

Im going to join in as well - Ive no idea how many books I might read as Ive never done this before so will just set myself a low number of 20 but hopefully will read a lot more than that.

The first book Im going to read is one I borrowed months ago and got part way through and stopped - The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. I really enjoyed others Ive read by her so not sure why Ive not been able to finish this one but am going to start it again and see.

Im also looking forward to Jeffrey Archer's new book coming out in February - the next in his Clifton Chronicles series.

And Im also going to read at least one Harry Potter book as Ive never read any of them (or seen the movies) - yes really Im the person in the World who hasn't read Harry Potter.

Happy reading everyone :daisy:

It took me FOREVER to want to read Harry Potter. I hated the movies... Couldn't see what the big fuss was about etc...

I was really sick and really bored one day. DH's H.P. collection was starring at me from our bookshelf. I decided to give it a try. It took me a few chapters because I couldn't get over the fact that I was reading a "kids' book" but once I got into it I was hooked. I read them all in about 10 days. And have since reread the series twice. It's just so immersive and much deeper than I assumed. I still dislike the movies though. They do J.K.'s world no justice in my mind. The depths of her character and story development can't be put onscreen.

Okay I'm done. I hope you enjoy :)

Book #2 of 50 - Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Most people dismissed the reports on the news. But they became too frequent; they became too real. And soon it was happening to people we knew.
Then the Internet died. The televisions and radios went silent. The phones stopped ringing
And we couldn’t look outside anymore.

Since this was on my 'to read' list and was highly recommended by @Soldier's*Sweeties I figured I would bump it up. If I tell you that I started reading it when I went to bed at 9.30 last night, read half of it before I gave up (from sheer exhaustion) at midnight, then resumed reading it while at a hospital consultation this morning and just finished it now, that should give you an idea of how much I enjoyed this book. If 'enjoyed' is the right word. The blurb above doesn't really tell you much about the book but, essentially, what starts with a seemingly isolated incident in Russia spreads throughout the World, to the point where people can no longer go outside or, if they do, they need to be blindfolded. I don't want to give anything away but, if you have this book on your 'to read' list then wait no longer. Read. It. Now! If you like psychological thrillers/horror novels, it will be right up your street.

I loved this book! A friend who works at a bookstore gave it to me as a birthday present last year... and I read it pretty much just as quickly!! What a great read. It kept me on the edge of my seat!

My goal is 120.

I do read fast, and while I'm waiting for certain books to become available on my Overdrive, will read quick romance novels just to have something. I read a wide variety and very rarely won't finish a book.

One of my favorite books in 2015 was "Need" by Joelle Charbonneau. It is a young adult novel, but covers the perils of social media that anyone can face. Now, I must admit that Joelle is a friend from our childhood youth group, but she is a great writer, her other YA series (The Testing trilogy) has won awards and I really enjoyed her two adult series too.

My goal for last year was 100 and I ended up reading 108, so I will go with 100 again this year!

My favorite book of the year was Undertow by Michael Buckley. It was something that I never thought I would like and ended up loving it. The second book in the series, Raging Sea, comes out next month and I can't wait!!!

Our book club read some Colleen Hoover books last year, Ugly Love and November 9, but I can't say that I enjoyed either of them. One of my friends raves about Colleen Hoover and loves her, so we thought we would read some of her books. I didn't like them at all though.

I just finished my first book for the new year, The Body Institute by Carol Riggs for book club and that was pretty good. I'm now reading the book The Raft by S.A. Bodeen and I'm really liking it so far. About a girl in a plane crash and how she is surviving on a raft in the middle of the water.

I got a lot of books for Christmas. I'm looking forward to reading the Lunar Chronicles books by Marissa Meyer... Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter. And also the books written by Candace Cameron Bure. I'm just finishing Balancing it All and have Dancing through Life (about her time on Dancing with the Stars) and Reshaping it All. I'm loving her style of writing.

Yay! New thread! I'm in!

My goal is 30 books this year. I didn't quite reach it last year (1 shy) so I'm going for it again this year. I've already finished one book, Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot, so I've off to a good start.

My goal is 120.

I do read fast, and while I'm waiting for certain books to become available on my Overdrive, will read quick romance novels just to have something. I read a wide variety and very rarely won't finish a book.

One of my favorite books in 2015 was "Need" by Joelle Charbonneau. It is a young adult novel, but covers the perils of social media that anyone can face. Now, I must admit that Joelle is a friend from our childhood youth group, but she is a great writer, her other YA series (The Testing trilogy) has won awards and I really enjoyed her two adult series too.

My goal for last year was 100 and I ended up reading 108, so I will go with 100 again this year!

My favorite book of the year was Undertow by Michael Buckley. It was something that I never thought I would like and ended up loving it. The second book in the series, Raging Sea, comes out next month and I can't wait!!!

Our book club read some Colleen Hoover books last year, Ugly Love and November 9, but I can't say that I enjoyed either of them. One of my friends raves about Colleen Hoover and loves her, so we thought we would read some of her books. I didn't like them at all though.

I just finished my first book for the new year, The Body Institute by Carol Riggs for book club and that was pretty good. I'm now reading the book The Raft by S.A. Bodeen and I'm really liking it so far. About a girl in a plane crash and how she is surviving on a raft in the middle of the water.

I got a lot of books for Christmas. I'm looking forward to reading the Lunar Chronicles books by Marissa Meyer... Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter. And also the books written by Candace Cameron Bure. I'm just finishing Balancing it All and have Dancing through Life (about her time on Dancing with the Stars) and Reshaping it All. I'm loving her style of writing.

Yay! New thread! I'm in!

My goal is 30 books this year. I didn't quite reach it last year (1 shy) so I'm going for it again this year. I've already finished one book, Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot, so I've off to a good start.

:welcome: to you all

finished #1, Top Secret 21 by Janet Evanovich - A Stephanie Plum book. If you've read one, you've read them all, really, at least at this point in the series. I'm at a point with it though where I feel like I need to see it through to the end. Surely she's about ready to wrap up the series. Maybe with 25?

In this one, our favorite Jersey girl is dealing with more cars exploding, another bomb thrown into her living room, a Russian assassin with a grudge, Randy Briggs, and...chihuahuas. A lot of them.
Everything you've come to expect in a Stephanie story is there: the love triangle with Morelli and Ranger, Bob the dog eating something he shouldn't (and then throwing it up), Grandma Mazur's craziness at a funeral home viewing, and a gun toting, pizza eating Lula.

Next up is Tricky Twenty-Two, which I got for Christmas to complete my collection.

I do recommend this series, because the first 9 or so are clever and refreshing. After that, it starts to become old hat. But they're quick, easy, sometimes laugh out loud funny, books.

Just finished my first book of the new year, and boy it was outstanding! Nice way to start the year! This may end up being my favorite book of 2016 - the bar has been set high right off the bat!

Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn’t believe that the Nazis will invade France...but invade they do, in droves of marching soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill the skies and drop bombs upon the innocent. When France is overrun, Vianne is forced to take an enemy into her house, and suddenly her every move is watched; her life and her child’s life is at constant risk. Without food or money or hope, as danger escalates around her, she must make one terrible choice after another.

Vianne’s sister, Isabelle, is a rebellious eighteen-year-old girl, searching for purpose with all the reckless passion of youth. While thousands of Parisians march into the unknown terrors of war, she meets the compelling and mysterious Gäetan, a partisan who believes the French can fight the Nazis from within France, and she falls in love as only the young can...completely. When he betrays her, Isabelle races headlong into danger and joins the Resistance, never looking back or giving a thought to the real--and deadly--consequences.

With courage, grace and powerful insight, bestselling author Kristin Hannah takes her talented pen to the epic panorama of WWII and illuminates an intimate part of history seldom seen: the women’s war. The Nightingale tells the stories of two sisters, separated by years and experience, by ideals, passion and circumstance, each embarking on her own dangerous path toward survival, love, and freedom in German-occupied, war-torn France--a heartbreakingly beautiful novel that celebrates the resilience of the human spirit and the durability of women. It is a novel for everyone, a novel for a lifetime.

Sooooo good! The characters are very well developed, and the author writes in a very easy-to-read style - it just flows. So many emotions & heartache, but love & strength & courage as well!

Highly recommend! It was also Goodreads' Fiction Book of 2015 (which is why it ended up on my "to read" list) Ooooh and I just saw today that it's being made into a movie!

Up Next: Reconstructing Amelia

My goal is 120.

I have Need on hold at the library! I can't wait to read it! I loved the Testing series and think she's a great writer. How fun to know an author. That's awesome!

2/72

#2 The Accident by Chris Pavone

From Goodreads:
As dawn approaches in New York, literary agent Isabel Reed is turning the final pages of a mysterious, anonymous manuscript, racing through the explosive revelations about powerful people, as well as long-hidden secrets about her own past. In Copenhagen, veteran CIA operative Hayden Gray, determined that this sweeping story be buried, is suddenly staring down the barrel of an unexpected gun. And in Zurich, the author himself is hiding in a shadowy expat life, trying to atone for a lifetime’s worth of lies and betrayals with publication of The Accident,while always looking over his shoulder.

Over the course of one long, desperate, increasingly perilous day, these lives collide as the book begins its dangerous march toward publication, toward saving or ruining careers and companies, placing everything at risk—and everyone in mortal peril. The rich cast of characters—in publishing and film, politics and espionage—are all forced to confront the consequences of their ambitions, the schisms between their ideal selves and the people they actually became.

The action rockets around Europe and across America, with an intricate web of duplicities stretching back a quarter-century to a dark winding road in upstate New York, where the shocking truth about the accident itself is buried.

This one started out kinda slow to me but picked up somewhere around the fifth chapter. Lots of characters that kinda blurred together at times but worth reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter