A Salute To All Things Disney, But Mostly Food - A Feb 15 Dining Report - That's a Wrap 7/18

Apologies in advance for the lack of photos, and quality of those that do exist, in this update. For anyone who has been to our dining destination you know that photos are not conducive to this restaurant.

As we made our way back to Wilderness Lodge for Casey's nap, Jason and I both said something that we thought would never cross our lips - we were Magic Kingdom'd out. There I said it. I'm still not proud. But we wanted to maximize our MK time while we are at the lodge, not knowing that the parentals in our crew had a limit to their happiness. We were in need of some adultness and we need it now.

As I looked online for reservations for the evening, I was struck by the sheer enormity of "hard to get" reservations that were open: Be Our Guest, Ohana, Le Cellier, California Grill all had openings for our party of 3. For those in the 180 day ADR club this is definitely not the norm, but there is certainly more available last minute than I think most folks realize.

So we were sure to select one of these difficult to get reservations, right??? Sadly no, while I haven't done Ohana in almost twenty years and never ventured to Le Cellier, we let our need for some adult surroundings (and beverages) lead us to.....San Angel Inn.

We'd eaten here for the first time last trip and were returning not for the food, but for this little gem. Ladies and gentleman may I present the most perfect margarita known to man:

For those unfamiliar this is the Avocado Margarita. It is El Mayor premium silver Tequila, melon liqueur, fresh avocado, agave nectar and fresh lime juice, served frozen with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim. It is pure and udder margarita perfection as it blends creamy avocado with quality tequila and a touch of melon liqueur to combine in a sweet, salty, sour, and creamy dream.

But, I'm getting a little ahead of myself. We arrived at the restaurant a few minutes before our ADR (which I believe was 6:45) and were quickly seated 2 rows over from the "water." Despite the quick seating, we waited for a while before our server made his way over to us. He was pleasant enough, but both this time and last the service was slow at best. Knowing it could be a while before we saw our server again, Jason and I promptly ordered a margarita each.

We used said margarita's to wash down the San Angel chips and salsa:

Their chips are quite good, as are both the salsa choices. I prefer the green tomatillo to the red salsa, primarily because the red has chipotle's and I'm not a huge fan of their smokiness. Casey also preferred the green and was none to happy that I was taking her salsa ; )

For our entree's, Casey and I were splitting the Mole Poblano, which is
Grilled chicken breast served over poblano rice, with a classic mole, made with nuts, spices, chiles and a hint of cocoa.

Here is where I must admit that I did not take this photo. My camera died as I was trying to snap my dinner picture. I was going to use Jason's phone as a back-up, but the darkness of the restaurant, brightness of the flash, combined with the annoying people next to me drew some dirty looks. Now I'm not a girl to take a dirty look from anyone, but other than the dirty looks at my picture taking self the only interaction this fine couple had with one another was for the husband to comment to the wife he didn't know why she liked to come here since she didn't ride anything. That was the one and only thing they said to each other the entire time we were seated. Clearly they had their own issues, so I let the eye rolling go.

Ok, digression over back to the food. While this clearly doesn't look like the prettiest plate out there, the chicken was nice and moist and mole had a lot of depth in its flavor with subtle chili and chocolate undertones. While i didn't detect too much poblano in the rice, it had a hint of flavor to it that carried it beyond standard issue white rice.

Jason decided upon the Camarones a la Diabla,
Roasted diabla-style shrimp with poblano rice, served over yuca puree and cascabel chile sauce.

Note he did take this picture with his phone before the anti-social eyes rolled upon him. The shrimp were nice and spicy and were balanced well with the yuca puree. While hot from a heat perspective, there were rather lukewarm temperature wise.

Jason and I each downed 2 margaritas with our meals, so not quite ready for dessert we soon made our way out of Mexico. Overall San Angel Inn is solid food, nothing spectacular or ground breaking but a decent well priced table service meal. While I don't think the food will ever make us return, those darn margaritas most certainly will.

With our tables in wonderland card we saved $15.90 (aka one margarita ; )

But the night was not over, we strolled around the world showcase a bit and eventually doubled back to share this little piece of Norwegian wonder....Schoolbread

For anyone who has not tried this Scandavian treat, it is essentially a sweet donut filled with a decadent custard and topped with a sugary icing and coconut. It's a unique disney treat and one that I can't ever get enough of. And this was not just any school bread, it was Casey Jo's inaugural one...

In case you can't tell, she was in Schoolbread heaven.

Bellies full we eventually made our way back to the Lodge, for our last night in the Wilderness. Up next, a rare Disney breakfast for our dinner lovin' crew.

Last edited:
Those margaritas sound heavenly, but my husband hates Mexican food so I'm fairly certain that he would object to dining there. Even for a delicious margarita. I love Casey's expression of pure bliss after the school bread.

I agree last minute ADR's are a lot of times the way to go as people cancel within that 24 hour mark! Oh how I love that avocado margarita, it Devine!!

San Angel Inn is actually one of the restaurants that my kids have chosen for our upcoming trip. It was our first experience with Disney World table-service dining, so SAI is a sentimental favorite for our family. I'm looking forward to that avocado margarita...I love them! :cloud9: Despite the fact that my last trip was two weeks long, sadly I never did get a good avocado margarita. I had only that pitiful version at La Hacienda. :sad2:

The avocado margarita is my favorite too. And we are not alone. Last time I was at Epcot, I was walking with one in hand towards Norway and a cast member stopped me and said in a reverential tone "Is that THE avocado margarita???" I replied yes. She then asked me to take a sip on her behalf since she couldn't have one and would need to live vicariously through me. This was the last week of August, it was blazing hot, she was dressed in Norwegian costume and she was assigned to the Phineas and Ferb cart signing kids up to do the mobile game. I swear, if she could have had one, I would've gone back and gotten one for her.

Loving your reviews, as always! I will be taking a page out of your planning book on our upcoming trip and booking last minute ADR's for the most part, since traveling with a toddler is unpredictable!

Enjoying your reviews :) My Son is in love with Ariel (she gave him his first kiss, he refuses all other princess kisses to this day ...most recently Cinderella LOL) so the whole playboy comment made me laugh ! Your little girl is adorable, so photogenic! I wish my Son would be more open minded to slushi....or even Salmon for that matter !!!

Loving your reviews! Your family is adorable! Where did you get the Mickey shirt you're wearing here? So cute!!

The ever elusive photo of me.

Another fun review to read and sounds like a decent meal....I know everyone here raves about those Margerita's....I guess maybe I'm not much of an avocado fan so the thought of drinking it?? I don't know...depends on the texture. The melon and lime they add to it probably make it good though...hmm something to think about!! That shrimp sounds really tasty though...and so does the schoolbread - I have to say I haven't tried that one yet either...have to add it to the list!

Those margaritas sound heavenly, but my husband hates Mexican food so I'm fairly certain that he would object to dining there. Even for a delicious margarita. I love Casey's expression of pure bliss after the school bread.
It is definitely not the place for someone who doesn't love Mexican food, but you can get the margarita at La Cava so dinner isn't required ; )

I agree last minute ADR's are a lot of times the way to go as people cancel within that 24 hour mark! Oh how I love that avocado margarita, it Devine!!
Yep, the last minute definitely works for us. Especially when it yields margaritas :-)

San Angel Inn is actually one of the restaurants that my kids have chosen for our upcoming trip. It was our first experience with Disney World table-service dining, so SAI is a sentimental favorite for our family. I'm looking forward to that avocado margarita...I love them! :cloud9: Despite the fact that my last trip was two weeks long, sadly I never did get a good avocado margarita. I had only that pitiful version at La Hacienda. :sad2:
Woohoo, margaritas for Barb next month!!!! I remember reading about the disappointment of your La Hacienda version, hope San Angel doesn't disappoint.

The avocado margarita is my favorite too. And we are not alone. Last time I was at Epcot, I was walking with one in hand towards Norway and a cast member stopped me and said in a reverential tone "Is that THE avocado margarita???" I replied yes. She then asked me to take a sip on her behalf since she couldn't have one and would need to live vicariously through me. This was the last week of August, it was blazing hot, she was dressed in Norwegian costume and she was assigned to the Phineas and Ferb cart signing kids up to do the mobile game. I swear, if she could have had one, I would've gone back and gotten one for her.
I think we just found a downsize to being a cast member, no drinking on the job ; ) Though its no surprise how many fans the margarita has, its just way too good. In fact we are having some friends over tonight and plan on trying to make them ourselves for the first time. Will try and post some photos if they come out good.

Loving your reviews, as always! I will be taking a page out of your planning book on our upcoming trip and booking last minute ADR's for the most part, since traveling with a toddler is unpredictable!
Thanks. Hope the last minute game works out for you all. We first did it when Casey was a toddler too and as long as we keep our taste buds and times open it works great. Have a great trip!

Enjoying your reviews :) My Son is in love with Ariel (she gave him his first kiss, he refuses all other princess kisses to this day ...most recently Cinderella LOL) so the whole playboy comment made me laugh ! Your little girl is adorable, so photogenic! I wish my Son would be more open minded to slushi....or even Salmon for that matter !!!
Thank you so much. Man, dissing Cinderella. That Ariel kiss must have really been something special.

Casey is definitely a bit of a ham. I'm not sure she actually knows what slushi is, she just ate it and liked it. Haven't broken the news that she is eating raw fish yet ; )

Loving your reviews! Your family is adorable! Where did you get the Mickey shirt you're wearing here? So cute!!

Thanks so much. I got the shirt at Mouse Gears at Epcot in 2013, but saw it again this year so presumably its a winter staple. I love it too. Its soft and comfy and completely feels a little 1980s flashdance to me. All I need is some leg warmers and I'd be set ; )​

Another fun review to read and sounds like a decent meal....I know everyone here raves about those Margerita's....I guess maybe I'm not much of an avocado fan so the thought of drinking it?? I don't know...depends on the texture. The melon and lime they add to it probably make it good though...hmm something to think about!! That shrimp sounds really tasty though...and so does the schoolbread - I have to say I haven't tried that one yet either...have to add it to the list!
The margarita really is good and the avocado doesn't add much flavor, just more creaminess and texture. Most of the flavor comes from the midori. You should get one to go at La Cava to try it and use it to wash down some school bread from next door :rolleyes:

We ate lunch at San Angel Inn last Saturday and enjoyed it enough to book another lunch for our next trip. It was the first time we had eaten there in a very long time, which means essentially it was a first. I loved the green salsa and I had the tostados de tinga appetizer, which was very good. The atmosphere was fun and something different than a standard restaurant.

I Love reading your reviews; your writing style is so fun! Your title had my immediate attention. This is the best TR Ever!! :thumbsup2 IMO, half of the fun is trying out new things to eat on property (and off property if I am not staying at a Disney resort that particular trip)! I'm an AP & about a 3 hour drive from the parks so I'm up there as much as financially possible.

I think it's awesome that your DH is as much of a WDW fan as you are (and a chef as well...I'll have to keep that in mind to add to my list of DH prerequisites, lol!). And Casey is adorable & it's great that she has an adventurous palate at 4 years old!

I've gone to San Angel Inn twice for lunch & liked it a lot. Unfortunately, the first time was better than the second as far as the NY Strip steak was concerned. It was cooked so perfectly that first time & our expectations were set pretty high. I also really Love the Avocado Margarita! I generally get one to-go from La Cava (if you show that you follow them on Twitter, you get any margarita you want for $10 on Monday!!).

Btw, good call on ignoring the rude couple sitting next to you. I take photos of my food quite a bit & dine solo sometimes so I have gotten used to ignoring the ignorant. :goodvibes

We ate lunch at San Angel Inn last Saturday and enjoyed it enough to book another lunch for our next trip. It was the first time we had eaten there in a very long time, which means essentially it was a first. I loved the green salsa and I had the tostados de tinga appetizer, which was very good. The atmosphere was fun and something different than a standard restaurant.
Glad you all had a good meal and so envious you were just there. #LivingVicariously

I'm with you in the green salsa, it's delicious. Haven't tried the tostadas but saw them at a nearby table last trip and it looked delicious. The atmosphere is definitely unique.

I Love reading your reviews; your writing style is so fun! Your title had my immediate attention. This is the best TR Ever!! :thumbsup2 IMO, half of the fun is trying out new things to eat on property (and off property if I am not staying at a Disney resort that particular trip)! I'm an AP & about a 3 hour drive from the parks so I'm up there as much as financially possible.

I think it's awesome that your DH is as much of a WDW fan as you are (and a chef as well...I'll have to keep that in mind to add to my list of DH prerequisites, lol!). And Casey is adorable & it's great that she has an adventurous palate at 4 years old!

I've gone to San Angel Inn twice for lunch & liked it a lot. Unfortunately, the first time was better than the second as far as the NY Strip steak was concerned. It was cooked so perfectly that first time & our expectations were set pretty high. I also really Love the Avocado Margarita! I generally get one to-go from La Cava (if you show that you follow them on Twitter, you get any margarita you want for $10 on Monday!!).

Btw, good call on ignoring the rude couple sitting next to you. I take photos of my food quite a bit & dine solo sometimes so I have gotten used to ignoring the ignorant. :goodvibes

Wow, thanks so much for the compliment. #blushing

So jealous you are so close to Disney. Of course if I was even closer my stomach and liver could never recover ; )

I definitely lucked out in the hubby department. Just tonight he suggested we try and get in a long weekend trip before September. Not sure if we can do it, but nice to have a partner who fuels my habit.

I didn't know until recently you could do the margarita to go, will have a new world showcase drink partner now that I do.

Thought I would share a quick photo of our avocado margarita replica we tried last night. We had some friends over for some early cinco de mayo fun and what better than margaritas to accompany.

I let my own personal chef try and figure this out as mixing drinks is generally deadly when Im the bartender (aka they are all alcohol, no mixer) This was pretty close to the original, but definitely missing that yummy hibiscus salt. Gonna have to try and find some of that online.

image.jpg

If you have a Williams+Sonoma nearby they should have that salt for you or a Penzey's Spice would as well.

My husband won't drink my mixed drinks as they are deadly as well ;)

Glad it worked out well for you!

I have not tried Sleepy Hollow because every time we stop by there I talk myself out of it. I can't wrap my head around a waffle sandwich but your description and pictures make me rethink myself! Casey did look like she was in heaven with the skoolbread! She looked like she was having a great time and there is no shame is coaxing, bribing or forcing our children to go on rides! :D

Thanks Kari for your San Angel review. I've haven't eaten there in several years, but have it in my plans for our October trip. I can't say I've ever had a "wow" meal there, but its always been good and I love the setting. You've got me thinking of trying the Avocado Margarita. I've never been a big fan of avocado but everyone here seems to love that drink. I recently tried a dish at our local Italian restaurant that had artichoke solely based on your raving about them. I thought I didn't like artichoke but evidently I do. See your dining reviews are changing palettes and lives.:)

Woohoo I figured out how to do the fancy multi-quotes ; )

Woot woot look at you!

hat is her patented one stick method. Got her some of the kids training chopsticks in the Japan pavilion, which she is doing a great job with.

We got those too! Now if I can only find them :rotfl2:

I'm not a chardonay fan, but do like Sauvignon Blanc. I tend to like really acidic whites and Gruener's definitely deliver that. It's similar to an Albarino if you've had one of those. But I'm normally a full bodied red girl on most days but white is anise departure

I haven't had an Albarino but i'm intrigued now. Perhaps Bevmo will have one, since i've never actually heard of that before.

Before I forget, from the last update I'd forgotten to mentioned we'd saved $34.20 on our car insurance, um I mean with our tables in wonderland card.

:rotfl:

nd yes i had another one of those owe so proud parenting moments when I forced my crying child onto the ride with me. I knew she loved it, since we'd rode it since she was 2 1/2, just needed that four year old brain to yield to the power of Mommy. She did love it, but that wouldn't be my last coaxing job of the day. #BadMama

I know this is how i'm going to be, I just know it! I just can't stand there knowing that DS has been on something that he's enjoyed and now he's scared cause he doesn't remember. Yep, i'm going to be that pushy parent for sure. #BadMamaDontCare

Speaking of Bad Mama's, we hadn't eaten breakfast yet this morning - so what better place for a nutritious meal than Big Top Treats. Casey picked out an Olaf cake pop since we figured it was nutritious given his nose was a carrot.

Good choice!

I'm not a big fan of sugary things in the morning, so I passed on a big top treat.

What?! No donuts, pancakes, waffles, french toast?!?!?!?!? :faint::faint: Or do you mean candy items.

9e82d677-3161-40a6-b640-1ce300f9f3ec.jpg

I was going to say, this is probably the 2nd or 3rd photo i've seen of you. It's the same here pretty much. DH doesn't like holding the camera because, "he wants to be free of stuff" (but I hold his da** wallet in my purse!) so i'm not in many photos either, unless I push the camera into his hands.

I'm not a huge ham fan - but prosciutto is one of my all time fav foods (makes perfect sense, right?)

:rotfl2:I get it!

And then the piece de resistance - The Sweet and Spicy Chicken Sandwich...

Fried chicken, spicy sauce, waffle, arugula, and some slaw - yes please and thank you. This sandwich is a true disney original and absolutely delicious. It's waffle house meets KFC all in one. Word of caution though, eat it fast. It gets soggy quickly and is best enjoyed fresh from the hollow.

Oh wow, that looks delicious! Eat fast? No problem for me.

We were in need of some adultness and we need it now.

For those unfamiliar this is the Avocado Margarita. It is El Mayor premium silver Tequila, melon liqueur, fresh avocado, agave nectar and fresh lime juice, served frozen with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim. It is pure and udder margarita perfection as it blends creamy avocado with quality tequila and a touch of melon liqueur to combine in a sweet, salty, sour, and creamy dream.

I haven't tried the Avocado but plan on it next time. Have had the Jalapeno, Blood Orange, Classic and Cucumber though!

but other than the dirty looks at my picture taking self the only interaction this fine couple had with one another was for the husband to comment to the wife he didn't know why she liked to come here since she didn't ride anything. That was the one and only thing they said to each other the entire time we were seated. Clearly they had their own issues, so I let the eye rolling go.

:scared1: Um, welcome to the happiest place on earth?? Guess not.

he chicken was nice and moist and mole had a lot of depth in its flavor with subtle chili and chocolate undertones. While i didn't detect too much poblano in the rice, it had a hint of flavor to it that carried it beyond standard issue white rice.

Don't need a picture, your description is spot on and completely sold me on it!

SCHOOL BREAD!!! :faint: :worship:

I let my own personal chef try and figure this out as mixing drinks is generally deadly when Im the bartender (aka they are all alcohol, no mixer)

Can I be invited to your next party please?

Mmm, looks good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter