• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

I LOVE the 10K medal. The half is okay... looks like a bell to me. Weird. Maybe it's better in person? Would've liked a more Princess-y medal for my first PHM Half, but it's not awful.

Love the 10k medal but I'm a tiny bit sad/jealous that I'm not getting the 5k medal too. It's so cute! As far as outfit/costume I'm thinking about a red top and green bottom to go for an enchanted rose look.

I am so excited about the medals. I have been having nightmares that they decided not to do Belle after all this year. It's the only reason I decided to go again this year, and I signed up for all three races.

I'm also curious about the Dooney. I expect that it will be a generic princess bag again this year. Especially since they did the Beauty and the Beast bag already this summer.

EEEEEK MEDALSSSSSS

Putting them in a spoiler tag in case anyone wants to be surprised, but I LOVE them!!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...kend-inspired-by-disney-beauty-and-the-beast/

rdm19349990fi.jpg

batbrdm4797878561.jpg

batbrdm4797878562.jpg

batbrdm4797878563.jpg

batbrdm4797878564.jpg

batbrdm4797878565.jpg

I'm sad I'm not getting the half and GSC medals, but I am SO excited about the 5K and 10K. They are beautiful!

Yeah, I'm surprised to see a re-design the year before the 10th anniversary. :confused3 But I feel like what they chose is perfect for the movie, so I'm happy with it.

Also looking forward to seeing them in person at the expo in January. These pictures are...not the best. :upsidedow I have to think they look better in person.

I was kind of surprised too! I fully expected them to wait until next year. Obviously they will have to redesign again in 2018, since this one is theme-specific.

I fully expected them to wait until next year. Obviously they will have to redesign again in 2018, since this one is theme-specific.

I'm wondering if they're going to start designing new medals every year to keep interest in the races and to compete with Rock n Roll?

Knowing I'd earn a different medal each year would keep me coming back year over year for sure!

he Dooney Facebook groups are all freaking out over what the bag will be!

~crossing fingers and chanting~ Not a white background. Not a white background. Not a white background.

I think I mentioned this on the Avengers thread but I'm terrible at keeping anything white (ie: pants, shirts, shoes) clean! :rotfl: I wouldn't want to ruin a beautiful bag. Maybe it'll be red!

I'm actually sad the 5Ks switched to metal, but they did do a good job with the 5K design for this race weekend at least. So I'll just silently grump I don't get a cute rubber medal. I just get a cute (but noisier) metal medal.

The half... I like the concept, but I'm remembering the PDC from Tink and how god awful it is in person (mostly just the size in that case, though... the story is great why it's designed as it is). I'm really hoping it is just not photogenic. Spinner GSC is pretty neat, though.

I'm wondering if they're going to start designing new medals every year to keep interest in the races and to compete with Rock n Roll?

Knowing I'd earn a different medal each year would keep me coming back year over year for sure!

That would be both fantastic and terrible news. Fantastic for a runDisney addict who loves shiny medals. Terrible for my bank account.

~crossing fingers and chanting~ Not a white background. Not a white background. Not a white background.

I think I mentioned this on the Avengers thread but I'm terrible at keeping anything white (ie: pants, shirts, shoes) clean! :rotfl: I wouldn't want to ruin a beautiful bag. Maybe it'll be red!

I'm actually hoping I don't like it. I really really don't need another Dooney.

The half... I like the concept, but I'm remembering the PDC from Tink and how god awful it is in person (mostly just the size in that case, though... the story is great why it's designed as it is). I'm really hoping it is just not photogenic. Spinner GSC is pretty neat, though.

Agreed. Man...that thing is ugly. I do love that it is huge though. lol

I like medals, bummed in way my first half with be what it is but Oh well. AS for outfits: I'm thinking Ariel will just have to come out again after I swore she was getting year off, I'll probably do Village Belle for a race and princess Belle for my first half ( thinking raw threads shirt and Yellow sparkle skirt but I like rose idea also and I could pull that off in 5 sec.

AS for race shirts I hope I like colors I want a red/red shirt, would love a blue one. really don't want yellow but will live

DW is a huge Beauty & the Beast fan and would love to go to Princess now that she's seen the medals! Unfortunately Acclaim is sold out of 5k bibs, which is all she can run. Does anyone know if any of the other TAs still has the 5k available?

I was going to sit Princess weekend out but the medals and @courtneybeth convinced me otherwise, 10k here I come!

Yessssss. The Enchanted 10K medal is my favorite of the bunch! I am so glad you're doing it.... one of us! one of us!

( thinking raw threads shirt and Yellow sparkle skirt but I like rose idea also and I could pull that off in 5 sec.

That was my exact idea for a costume if I went Belle, but I am now thinking of running as Gaston so I don't have to wear a skirt for 13 miles. I like the idea of capri pants and just the obligatory Gaston top. Very comfy for a long race.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter what I think since I'm not doing these races, but I'm in the "don't really care for the half medal" camp. It's a nice idea, but it doesn't come off right and looks clunky in the picture. I'd prefer they kept with the tiara/crown concept for that one. And the GSC medal is cool as a spinner, but it could use some color shading like prior years. The only one I really love is the 5K. So cute!

Yeah, I'm surprised to see a re-design the year before the 10th anniversary. :confused3 But I feel like what they chose is perfect for the movie, so I'm happy with it.
I'm not surprised to see a re-design. The trend with RunDisney lately seems to be that they're not waiting for anniversary years anymore. Star Wars Light Side got a re-design and it's only in its third year, and the Marathon Weekend medals are all completely different too. And the Disneyland Half weekend medals for 2017 will probably need to be changed, since 2016's had the famous duos theming. So I'm thinking this is becoming the norm.

Just have a few final touches to pick up for my costumes. Not sure which one for which race yet, but I am doing:
- Merida -- RawThreads tank & SparkleSkirt plaid skirt & possibly HUGE Merida wig. If wig, this will be the 5K for sure as I'm walking it with family.
- Giselle -- Custom SparkleSkirt and a custom iGlowRunning top in the floral curtain dress design. This turned out SO cute and comfy, I'm thinking it may be may Half outfit. Could also be 10K.
- Darth Elsa -- Blue Fantasy SparkleSkirt with a custom iGlowRunning top that combines Darth Vader breastplate and Elsa's cape and colors. (Since I'm doing SW challenge in 2018, I wanted a mashup costume I could repeat.) I need to pick up some arm sleeves/gloves and still need to resolve the helmet issue. The inspiration for this came from a little girl I saw at Comic Con who had an Elsa costume with a white DV helmet covered in sparkly blue snowflakes. I'd prefer NOT to carry or wear a helmet, but can't seem to find the right headband for this yet. This will either be 10K or Half, depending on whether I'm carrying a helmet and decide to add a light saber.

So exciting to see the medals! This is my first runDisney race, and my first race with a medal --- so I have no basis for comparison -- so they looks great to me!

And, I finally settled on my outfit for the race too --- I bought a brand new custom Sparkskirt that someone never wore (stained glass hearts), and plan to buy some mickey ears made with a cute fruit pattern fabric -- colors represent all the princesses, and the fruit since I am a nutritionist.

DW is a huge Beauty & the Beast fan and would love to go to Princess now that she's seen the medals! Unfortunately Acclaim is sold out of 5k bibs, which is all she can run. Does anyone know if any of the other TAs still has the 5k available?
runwiththemouse.com
pegasusbus.com/rundisney
travelbygroups.com
magicalkingdomvacation.com/rundisney.html (I got a Tink 10K bib through them this year)

These are ones to try. She's need to do the hotel + ticket to get a bib.

I'm not surprised to see a re-design. The trend with RunDisney lately seems to be that they're not waiting for anniversary years anymore. Star Wars Light Side got a re-design and it's only in its third year, and the Marathon Weekend medals are all completely different too. And the Disneyland Half weekend medals for 2017 will probably need to be changed, since 2016's had the famous duos theming. So I'm thinking this is becoming the norm.
Probably a good idea by them since registrations seems to be slowing down.

I spent last night planning out my costumes officially.... I am so excited that it's minimal cost and I can use these pieces for other races. I may just run as a Disney character for Star Wars Dark Side and not care. :)

5K - Gaston. Red running shirt with the gold collar sewn on. Will wear my usual black running pants and shoes. Since this is an untimed race I want to sprint to the picture stations and be themed for once without being one of the 1-02938219432 Belles on the course. We're walking this for sure to save our energy for the rest of the weekend, so maybe I'll be the last to cross the finish! :D
10K - Ariel. Repurposing my Disneyland Half outfit. Purple Raw Threads "Run Like a Princess" Ariel-themed tank with a mermaid green skirt; red hippie runner headband and my dinglehopper hair clip.
Half - Snow White. My new outfit! Raw Threads "Snow" blue tank, gold sparkle skirt, and yellow leg sleeves. Will use my red Sparkly Soul headband as my accessory.

I'm all about comfort. I like to run in running gear that is giving a theme/impression of being a costume. Sort of like Disney Bounding a runDisney event. :)

Ok....so I cheated!!! I looked at the metals! I think they are nice! I like the way you think @courtneybeth...great outfit ideas!
My tentative outfits

5K: (Mrs. Potts/princess-ish) pink sparkle skirt, white Mickey tank (just bought on etsy) and grey hippie crown headband

10K: (Ariel) mermaid sparkle skirt, black tank, mermaid sweaty band and dinglehopper bow

Half: (Belle-ish) I think I'll buy a blue or yellow skirt, blue stained glass beauty and the beast tank (just got on etsy) and a new headband or visor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter