2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

In 2014, it was flip flops. In 2015, socks. Plain socks. It's still worth it though!
hahaha wow not even princess themed ones? I think they had flip flops in 2013 too but I didn't do the race retreat then.

I did sign up only because i'll be running the half alone and wanted somewhere to hang out. didn't know I got free stuff until now!

hahaha wow not even princess themed ones? I think they had flip flops in 2013 too but I didn't do the race retreat then.

I did sign up only because i'll be running the half alone and wanted somewhere to hang out. didn't know I got free stuff until now!

Not princess socks, or anything pretty at all. White socks. That's not why I got the race retreat, but still. lol

@pluto377 here is the elevation chart from when I did this 5K in 2014 (the course will likely be exactly the same). When I said there was no noticeable elevation change, I mean it! :rotfl2:
29949785463_57e624735b_z.jpg
Perfect, thank you! This makes me much less nervous!

Perfect, thank you! This makes me much less nervous!
Don't be nervous!

This is the map (this is an old picture but the course is the same). It's just like a day in Epcot + some parking lot - except you get a medal at the end. You'll love it!
image.png

For the races, though, I'd totally move if I could - pretty sure you need to be at the front of the park, so the Monorail would be optimal (if it's running for the races?).

If it's like last year the monorail was only open to get to the Half. I realized after I got home that maybe I could have used it to get back to bay lake for the 5 and 10k, but I didn't think of it while there.

Otherwise, it's a bus from the BC around to the front of Epcot (bc the races are before the park is open...).

Yep. And to get back after the races if the park is open you have to have a ticket to get back through Epcot. If you don't, it's another bus back to the near-Epcot resort.

I also find that my pace is the same, if not faster, when I do run walk intervals. I usually do 2/1, but yesterday decided to try 2/:30 and my pace was faster and I felt great, and have experimented with a few others too - so still trying to find my optimal combo - but I can do a better pace over longer distances when I have walk breaks.

I'm faster the shorter my intervals are. I do 1:1. I bet if I did 30 second runs I'd be faster but I cannot mentally wrap my head around that.

I also make sure I pace myself at the beginning of the race

Yes!

I have a gym membership and should jump on a bike a couple days a week to give my muscles a break and work other ones.

When I was doing Spin I got faster. And I was really good on uphills because of the explosive strength spin class builds.

Ive been thinking about Princess Challenge (plus 5k) so much that I forgot until yesterday that I'm doing Star Wars light side challenge 5ish weeks before that. Oops!

Oh well. I did RnR Vancouver remix with literally NO running since June and survived. So missing a month of training won't kill me. But I need to get on with it. I would like to actually feel good about my experiences in Jan and feb!

I'm faster the shorter my intervals are. I do 1:1. I bet if I did 30 second runs I'd be faster but I cannot mentally wrap my head around that.

It seems to go against all logic, but it's true. When I first started, I was at 3:1, because I came from C25K. I kept gradually going down and my pace was either the same or faster. I settled on 30:30, and finished a half in under 3 hours. I have also done 15:15 and seen almost no difference. I also feel a lot better with shorter intervals!

It seems to go against all logic, but it's true. When I first started, I was at 3:1, because I came from C25K. I kept gradually going down and my pace was either the same or faster. I settled on 30:30, and finished a half in under 3 hours. I have also done 15:15 and seen almost no difference. I also feel a lot better with shorter intervals!

When I started, I was doing 3:1 because the friend I was running with did that interval. When my shin splints were really bad I switched to 1:1 because of the pain and found myself going faster. So now I stick with that.

In case anyone was interested, Sam's Club is having an one-day sale today for the Garmin VivoActive HR bundle for $169.74 for members. You can buy it online now or stores open up at 7am. After researching, it looks like the VivoActive will work well enough for my needs, esp. for that price!

This may have been discussed before... but does anyone know what princess or theme the Princess races will reflect in 2017? I need to start planning my family's outfits!! Thanks!

Did anyone else staying at the Beach Club getting a message offering to be moved to the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian due to a refurbishment? I booked the Beach Club for the proximity to Epcot during race weekend. Not sure what to do.

Yes, I was contacted as well. I opted to move pending availability at GF. I'll stay where I am if all that is left is the Poly. I believe it's just a refurbishment happening at YC which is impacting reservations and they are trying to move those people over to BC which means all these rooms booked under that special TA rate are being given options. I'm not complaining. If I can get GF at BC rates, I'm going to run with it!!!!

Did you guys move? I ended up taking the deal and got my confirmation last week. I am totally psyched, no kids this trip so GF is perfect... and the price is amazing, I am so glad I went with Beach Club the first time ha ha! I actually thought my BC price was a tad high and contemplated moving, SO glad I didnt! Im only running the 5K, but I'll see you guys there :)

Did you guys move? I ended up taking the deal and got my confirmation last week. I am totally psyched, no kids this trip so GF is perfect... and the price is amazing, I am so glad I went with Beach Club the first time ha ha! I actually thought my BC price was a tad high and contemplated moving, SO glad I didnt! Im only running the 5K, but I'll see you guys there :)

Yes I did!!! I'm so excited to stay at the GF. I've never stayed there before. I've yet to stay at BC either. Every time I have a reservation there something comes up and I have to change resorts or my dates change and BC isn't available.

My POT is submitted... so now it's time to work on my running outfit! (Oh... and keep training...)

Anyone see the new Beauty and the Beast trailer this morning?? So excited!!
Yes! It was a little weird because I am SO used to the animated version, but I love Emma Watson and her costumes look amazing. I'm excited for it! The piano music at the beginning of the trailer gave me chills, love the score to that movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter