2015 Planning Disney Parks, Cruises, Universal & NY - Did I forget anything? **We're here! Upd 02/01

I think you have your answer. :)

I would use the money saved on a club room to buy an interactive wand for Harry Potter. My guess is that the memories you'd get from this would be worth more :)

Yep you're right wanderlust, 98% sure it will be HRH, just not sure when I should book, if I should try and wait to see if they release some discounts for later in the year, or just lock it in now. On Tripadvisor alot say to book early for this hotel, so maybe it fills quick, I'm not sure

We think we have decided on the end of the trip now. The plan after New York New Years will be to fly to Vegas for a few days. We will do the Grand Canyon which has been on our list since we didnt get there on our our first trip in 2010 and a couple days in LV before flying home via LAX. We didnt want to do NY>LAX>BNE in one stretch as we figured it would be a bit too long for us. We didnt want to spend a few days in LA again just for the sake of it, so LV with the Grand Canyon trip will be a good way to end the trip .

Love the look of your plan. I give another vote for HRH. I stayed there at the very end of November and loved it. Stayed at Royal Pacific a couple of years before that, but much prefer HRH. The staff are fantastic and the whole place is just fun. Of some of those negative reviews (just quietly) if you're old and grumpy enough to be bothered by the music in the halls and elevators, well...you picked the wrong hotel :duck: also, the beds are super comfortable and they have great quality sheets (something Disney could learn from in their 'deluxe' hotels...)

The walk to Studios is so great - it really is just five minutes to the gate (go down to the pool, veer left, there's a gate, follow the path to a T intersection, turn right and follow the river around).

If you want food ideas, I ate at both the Velvet Lounge and The Kitchen at HRH for dinner and I'd definitely recommend them. Also the new Italian place on Citywalk (sorry, can't recall the name) blew my mind (and my tastebuds haha).

I don't know about having to book HRH early, but, depending on how many people you're travelling with, you may want to buy at least one annual pass and book the discounted rates. I bought a package and then upgraded my four day pass to an annual, and it only cost me about $85 more. I more than made that back in food and merch discounts, and will be using it again for this year (both for entry and booking discounted rooms).

You should feel lucky to get into Boardwalk. It was my first choice when renting DVC points, but I couldn't get it, even at the 11 month mark. Very happy with Beach Club, though (so much I'm going back in November). If you're there for Christmas decorations, be sure to walk around and see the other resorts. Also, keep in mind it might be quicker to jump on a bus for Beach Club and walk to Boardwalk rather than wait for your resort's bus. I missed the BC bus by seconds one night at DTD, and a huge crowd of Brazilian cheerleaders had just broken into Christmas carols. I was desperate to get outta the place, so jumped on the Boardwalk bus. Everyone complains about transport from DTD, but I was at the resort in 11 minutes, and then just a walk around the lake to home.

You can't link Dis MemoryMaker and US PhotoConnect as they are different companies. Others can explain about if and how you link DL and WDW packages. I have read various info but I know it has changed over time too but you aren't doing both anyway. LV and Grand Canyon sound ideal for a couple of days to break up the NY-LAX-BNE trip - we do that too, even if only for one night. I second the earlier post on recommending looking at Chelsea Market, The Highline and Eataly while in NY. All in a broadly similar area.

Also, keep in mind it might be quicker to jump on a bus for Beach Club and walk to Boardwalk rather than wait for your resort's bus. I missed the BC bus by seconds one night at DTD, and a huge crowd of Brazilian cheerleaders had just broken into Christmas carols. I was desperate to get outta the place, so jumped on the Boardwalk bus. Everyone complains about transport from DTD, but I was at the resort in 11 minutes, and then just a walk around the lake to home.

For the Boardwalk and going to a park we always walk to the Beach Club. The buses on this route only service Yacht and Beach Club resorts.

If returning by bus from a park there are two options. Catch the Boardwalk Swan and Dolphin bus. The Boardwalk is normally the first stop in this route. Other option is Yacht and Beach Club bus and then walk around Crescent Lake.

Going by bus to DTD I think this route services the five resorts in the Epcot Resort area, the last stop being the Boardwalk. If returning by bus we get off at the Swan and a short walk to the Boardwalk.

To get to DTD we always walk to DHS and catch the bus to Old key West and the the boat to DTD. Much more picturesque than the bus view.

HRH just updated all their rooms, which are fabulous, just stayed there in Sept. No noise issues. Great locations.

Love the look of your plan. I give another vote for HRH. I stayed there at the very end of November and loved it. Stayed at Royal Pacific a couple of years before that, but much prefer HRH. The staff are fantastic and the whole place is just fun. Of some of those negative reviews (just quietly) if you're old and grumpy enough to be bothered by the music in the halls and elevators, well...you picked the wrong hotel :duck: also, the beds are super comfortable and they have great quality sheets (something Disney could learn from in their 'deluxe' hotels...)

The walk to Studios is so great - it really is just five minutes to the gate (go down to the pool, veer left, there's a gate, follow the path to a T intersection, turn right and follow the river around).

If you want food ideas, I ate at both the Velvet Lounge and The Kitchen at HRH for dinner and I'd definitely recommend them. Also the new Italian place on Citywalk (sorry, can't recall the name) blew my mind (and my tastebuds haha).

I don't know about having to book HRH early, but, depending on how many people you're travelling with, you may want to buy at least one annual pass and book the discounted rates. I bought a package and then upgraded my four day pass to an annual, and it only cost me about $85 more. I more than made that back in food and merch discounts, and will be using it again for this year (both for entry and booking discounted rooms).

You should feel lucky to get into Boardwalk. It was my first choice when renting DVC points, but I couldn't get it, even at the 11 month mark. Very happy with Beach Club, though (so much I'm going back in November). If you're there for Christmas decorations, be sure to walk around and see the other resorts. Also, keep in mind it might be quicker to jump on a bus for Beach Club and walk to Boardwalk rather than wait for your resort's bus. I missed the BC bus by seconds one night at DTD, and a huge crowd of Brazilian cheerleaders had just broken into Christmas carols. I was desperate to get outta the place, so jumped on the Boardwalk bus. Everyone complains about transport from DTD, but I was at the resort in 11 minutes, and then just a walk around the lake to home.

Feeling really good with our choice for HRH now. thanks for the tips on dining, will be sure to check them out. I tried DVC through 2 brokers for Grand Californian who both confirmed availability couldn't secure as they had no points, then found an owner who had points and booked that. Then came across an Aussie DVC Owner and was lucky enough to b able to rent from for Boardwalk so I do count myself lucky.

So looking forward to Christmas time at Disney be it the parks, resorts or DTD.

You can't link Dis MemoryMaker and US PhotoConnect as they are different companies. Others can explain about if and how you link DL and WDW packages. I have read various info but I know it has changed over time too but you aren't doing both anyway. LV and Grand Canyon sound ideal for a couple of days to break up the NY-LAX-BNE trip - we do that too, even if only for one night. I second the earlier post on recommending looking at Chelsea Market, The Highline and Eataly while in NY. All in a broadly similar area.

Yeah we ar epretty sure we want to break it up, still deciding on how, but Vegas is an option so is San Fran which we have never been to so looking into that also.

For the Boardwalk and going to a park we always walk to the Beach Club. The buses on this route only service Yacht and Beach Club resorts.

If returning by bus from a park there are two options. Catch the Boardwalk Swan and Dolphin bus. The Boardwalk is normally the first stop in this route. Other option is Yacht and Beach Club bus and then walk around Crescent Lake.

Going by bus to DTD I think this route services the five resorts in the Epcot Resort area, the last stop being the Boardwalk. If returning by bus we get off at the Swan and a short walk to the Boardwalk.

To get to DTD we always walk to DHS and catch the bus to Old key West and the the boat to DTD. Much more picturesque than the bus view.

Great tips as alwasy ColinA thanks.

HRH just updated all their rooms, which are fabulous, just stayed there in Sept. No noise issues. Great locations.

Thanks marvel, I am sure we are going to like it there for sure.

Did I understand you correctly that you can link Memory Maker with Universal Studios?

No, sorry, my post was a bit unclear. Memory Maker is Disney and can be linked your MDE account. Photo Connect is Universal and has its own account and can't be linked to anything Disney.

No, sorry, my post was a bit unclear. Memory Maker is Disney and can be linked your MDE account. Photo Connect is Universal and has its own account and can't be linked to anything Disney.

Thanks for clarification. Makes sense now.

Need some opinions on two hotels in NYC that we are considering.

Hotel Beacon (HB) and Homewood Suites by Hilton

For a 1 bed Suite both are priced similar with Homewood about $200more over the 5 nights.

Both in different areas, Beacon is in Upper West side. it seems to be very popular with Australian visitors and the hotel say the are better known to Australian travellers that to US ones. Two of DW friends have stayed and given it good reports. Trip Advisor is positive. There does seem to be a restaurant or room service at the hotel which is a draw back for us.

Homewood Suites is Midtown Manhattan Times Square-South. the rooms and decor look newer. They have a free breakfast included, however Trip Advisor has quite a few comments about this being so busy that it almost becomes a non-benefit. They also offer dinner mon-thurs between 5-7 but the way we look at that is while a nice benefit we would want to be eating out in different places seeing we are in NYC.

So after all that, while they each of pluses and minuses, I *think* it really comes down to location. Does any one have any experience or opinions from these hotels or areas?

Need some opinions on two hotels in NYC that we are considering.

Hotel Beacon (HB) and Homewood Suites by Hilton

We ended up booking Beacon Hotel for 7 nights. So here are the current plans :

Leaving end Nov
6 Nights Disney Grand Californian [booked]
4 nights at Universal Studios Orlando
8 nights at WDW Boardwalk Villas 1Bedroom [booked]
7 night Cruise on Disney Fantasy - Disembark Boxing day [booked]
3 nights Washington DC - Unknown hotel as yet
7 nights in New York including NYE - Beacon Hotel [booked]
Tossing up a trip to LV or might just go back to LA for a day or 2 before coming home.

Booked our DLR, WDW Park Hopper and Universal Studios Orlando Park 2 Park tickets today. Am hearing more and more about at least Disney price rises being imminent from people in the Disney travel agent game. Nothing confirmed, but I thought it best to buy now at the very least based on the falling AUD as well as the chance of Disney upping there prices also.

Booked our DLR, WDW Park Hopper and Universal Studios Orlando Park 2 Park tickets today. Am hearing more and more about at least Disney price rises being imminent from people in the Disney travel agent game. Nothing confirmed, but I thought it best to buy now at the very least based on the falling AUD as well as the chance of Disney upping there prices also.

Sounds like a great trip, and everything seems to be coming together nicely. Just wondering where you bought your tickets from? That is my plan for this week, to buy tickets for those same 3 parks.

Sounds like a great trip, and everything seems to be coming together nicely. Just wondering where you bought your tickets from? That is my plan for this week, to buy tickets for those same 3 parks.

making good progress I think. Flights still to go when they become available in a few weeks time.

I bought the WDW & USO tickets from Undercover Tourist. I got 8 day park hoppers Plus tickets. for WDW. USO I got 2 day park to park with a third day for free. We will be staying on-site so will have express pass.

The DL tickets I bought from the Travel Agent I deal with. She is extremely helpful and very giving of her time so I like to book somethings with her. She is very knowledgable and loves Disney just like many of us here so we have good chats. She's given me lots of good advice on Disney and other parts of our last couple of trips so I like to support her also. She was able to offer 10 day Park hoppers for DLR for only marginally more than the 5 day ones that are available online. We were going to but 5 day tickets, even though we are there for 6 days and have a park free day, but we thought if we could get for all our days for a little bit more and we could support her then its a bonus . while she has always said she is happy to help with advice etc I am always mindful at the end of the day she's got a business to run.

Booked our flights tonight so that was a major thing to lock in. So we are now officially bookended! lol Few more things to book and then just continue the countdown. :)

As I mentioed in last post, Flights are now booked. today i booked Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando. Heres what it looks like thus far:

BNE > LAX [booked]

6 Nights Disney Grand Californian [booked]
4 nights at Hard Rock Hotel Universal Studios Orlando [booked]
8 nights at WDW Boardwalk Villas 1Bedroom [booked]
7 night Cruise on Disney Fantasy - Disembark Boxing day [booked]
3 nights Washington DC - Unknown hotel as yet
7 nights in New York including NYE - Beacon Hotel [booked]
2 Nights in LA
LAX > BNE [booked]

Looking into Washington hotels now. I'd love a view of something US Presidential/Political Whitehouse/Washington Monument. Looking at the Willard Inter Continental, Sofitel at the moment. Anyone have any DC hotel suggestions?

I stayed at The Liaison last year and loved it. Very comfortable room, extraordinarily good restaurant and just a couple of blocks to Capitol Building and Union Station. It's actually the closest hotel to Capitol Building (although there's another across the road) and while I don't think you can see any of the mall from the rooms (I could be wrong) you can see it from the front of the hotel. The dome was covered in scaffolding while I was there so you may want to check on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter