Working Down My Disney Bucket List!

foodiddiedoo

DIS Veteran
I’m super excited to be making some great progress on my Disney Bucket List this year and next.
In February we did a VIP tour at Disney World to celebrate my 40th birthday!
In April we did an Adventures by Disney Southern California trip and I got to visit my dream job at Imagineering!
In August we’ll be heading to Aulani for my family’s first ever trip to Hawaii together!
And next April during my daughter’s spring break we’ll be headed on our first ever Disney Cruise sailing on the Treasure! My best friend’s whole family will also be joining us so I’m super stoked!
All that’s left on my checklist is to visit go back to Disneyland Paris to visit their version of Hollywood Studios which wasn’t open when I went when I was in high school and Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneylands (but unfortunately my husband and I shouldn’t travel to China for work reasons) so that might be checked off in like 20-25 years when we can retire!

Does anyone have any pro tips for a complete newb cruiser? We’re in a group of 7 and already requested to be moved from the 815 to 515 dinner seating.

My best advice is that as with the parks, you can’t do everything. Focus on doing a few things you want to do and don’t even think about what you are missing.

You will be able to book excursions and most onboard activities 75 days before sailing. Take some time to think about what you want to book. If you can’t get something you want, try as soon as you are onboard.

The Disney Cruise line app has 2 different forms. Before your cruise, you can use it to book activities and see what you have booked. This requires a Disney account (same account as the US parks). Once you are at the port, the app will change to show what is happening each day, provide texting between guests, show onboard charges, and allow for adults to make placeholder reservations for another cruise, among other features. Everyone in your group can access the app individually on their devices using their name and room number, even if they don’t have a Disney account.

If you want to book Palo or Enchante, go for it, but it is also fine to just enjoy the main dining rooms twice each plus Pirate night.

If you want to book Disney excursions, go for it, but you can also have a great time wandering around ports on your own (or through private excursions). Just be sure to get back to the ship well before all-aboard time.

If your kids are into characters, wait in line to see a few, but also keep your eyes open as you walk around the ship because characters also walk from place to place.

You can plan ahead as much or as little as you want, knowing that you’ll have places to dine and activities to enjoy without making any reservations or firm plans.

Eastern or Western Caribbean (just for curiosity)?

Be aware it will be a very full ship - Spring Break and a 3 month old ship.

But this is not a WDW vacation. You can have shipboard fun if you knew nothing. There is no Genie+ no paying extra to skip lines. (There can be lines - like for characters).

I always start by talking with dinner and the evening shows. DCL seems to have a fairly good equity system, creating a similar experience for as many people as possible. Early dinner guests can go to the second show in the Walt Disney Theater; reverse it for the other half with second seating dinner. No reservations needed. Please do not save seats in the Walt Disney Theater (preparing you for that phrase). And noting you are traveling with a larger party than a few people. You will get 3 well-done Disney production shows.

Every guest is going to rotate through the three included Main Dining Rooms (MDRs) over the week. You will order from 7 different menus during your week. It does not matter which dining room rotation you get, all guests have the same dinner food choices on their vacation.

Unlike some cruise lines, there is no continuous (or nearly) buffet. No late night buffet.

And the ship is relatively quiet before midnight. The latest activity I have seen starts at midnight (adults) and I over by midnight.

And early risers have to wait for breakfast.

Other than theming, you can look at information on the Wish for photos of pools and deck layouts.

The website Disneycruiselineblog has menus and Personal Navigators (the daily ship activity schedules) as submitted by cruisers. You can see hours for venues and likely events onboard. There is a lot of common activities on Disney ships. What happens on any given cruise is subject to the efforts of the Cruise Director and Activity Staff.

The workers onboard, just like in the Parks, are called Cast Members. ☺️

If you like costumes (especially pirates), many guests will be dressed for Pirate Night. I have seen a lot of great outfits. And I have seen plenty of guests in cruise casual that night. You should expect a bandana to appear in your cabin for that day.

There will be plenty of people in princess outfits throughout the week. Any costume that does not involve a mask or weapons could show up at any time.

Cruise casual is okay any night for dinner (slacks and polos or Hawaiian shirts) - for men or women. Sundresses. Shorts have become more common. No tank tops on men at dinner. No bathing suit coverups. There’s an official list somewhere. Bottom line, gowns and tuxes aren’t standard, nor often seen. The 25th Anniversary sailings brought out some dressier attire.

I think a 7-night cruise has an official Formal Night (suggested attire, your choice). The officers wear their formal uniforms, there are Captain’s Cocktail Receptions with roaming servers offering complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic libations in the atrium before both dinner seatings (you can go to both parties). Live music and photo opportunities are offered.

From the internet. “Themed Deck Party” would be Pirate Night. It doesn’t occur in Alaska or Norway…

“Is there a formal night at Disney cruise?
7-night cruises:

First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops. One pirate night or other themed deck party. 3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops. One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...cruises:,of the onboard photography services.

What is the Dining Dress Code | Disney Cruise Line”​

The kids clubs are separated by age. And fairly strict, I think.

This may be old or still current. Those with kids can help you with more info.

They do have fairly long hours. Little kids have to be fully independent in toileting for anything but the nursery. Older kids are given self check-in/ out privileges.

YOUTH CLUBS

Our group communicates on our iPhones with each other on the ship and also with people at home, using iMessage. No charge.

Magnet hooks

The walls are metal. Storage space is somewhat limited. Purses, jackets (yes, because inside the ship is air conditioned and outside sea breezes can be cold at night), lanyards (if using for your room key), hats… easily kept out of the way but easy to find.

I get mine from Amazon.

I resisted for years, but they are definitely useful.

I find I really like late dinner. I don't have young kids (they are 11) and so enjoying the show and then not rushing through dinner is very nice. It is also helpful on shore days not having to be back at the boat super early. I will say that the later seating has less people and fewer younger kids.

Eastern or Western Caribbean (just for curiosity)?

Be aware it will be a very full ship - Spring Break and a 3 month old ship.

But this is not a WDW vacation. You can have shipboard fun if you knew nothing. There is no Genie+ no paying extra to skip lines. (There can be lines - like for characters).
Eastern Caribbean. I'm assuming that almost every cruise sails at capacity so I'm totally fine. Is there some sort of character meet and greet I have to prebook? The woman who helped me pay my deposit with DGC told me to be online immediately at midnight during check in day to reserve something.

I find I really like late dinner. I don't have young kids (they are 11) and so enjoying the show and then not rushing through dinner is very nice. It is also helpful on shore days not having to be back at the boat super early. I will say that the later seating has less people and fewer younger kids.
We will be traveling with my daughter who will be 10, an 8 year old and a 3 year old. I think the three year old will die eating at 8pm. We are as a group early dinner eaters.

Door Decorations
Eastern Caribbean. I'm assuming that almost every cruise sails at capacity so I'm totally fine. Is there some sort of character meet and greet I have to prebook? The woman who helped me pay my deposit with DGC told me to be online immediately at midnight during check in day to reserve something.

She might have mentioned a Royal Court Tea party. It’s an extra fee, includes a gift. My memory is it’s pricey.

There may be a Royal Gathering event, with many princesses. More info to search…okay, seems this is a sign-up event (probably the one mentioned). Multiple characters. Limited line due to limited crowd, it would seem.

Typically, there are hours’ worth of character meet and greet photo sessions held in the atrium. They will tell you when a line is cutting off for the current character. The time and location will be in the Personal Navigator (or DCL app).

(We don’t travel with kids.)

Last edited:
Didn't even think about a formal night,
If you like costumes (especially pirates), many guests will be dressed for Pirate Night. I have seen a lot of great outfits. And I have seen plenty of guests in cruise casual that night. You should expect a bandana to appear in your cabin for that day.

There will be plenty of people in princess outfits throughout the week. Any costume that does not involve a mask or weapons could show up at any time.

Cruise casual is okay any night for dinner (slacks and polos or Hawaiian shirts) - for men or women. Sundresses. Shorts have become more common. No tank tops on men at dinner. No bathing suit coverups. There’s an official list somewhere. Bottom line, gowns and tuxes aren’t standard, nor often seen. The 25th Anniversary sailings brought out some dressier attire.

I think a 7-night cruise has an official Formal Night (suggested attire, your choice). The officers wear their formal uniforms, there are Captain’s Cocktail Receptions with roaming servers offering complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic libations in the atrium before both dinner seatings (you can go to both parties). Live music and photo opportunities are offered.

From the internet. “Themed Deck Party” would be Pirate Night. It doesn’t occur in Alaska or Norway…

“Is there a formal night at Disney cruise?
7-night cruises:

First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops. One pirate night or other themed deck party. 3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops. One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/#:~:text=7-night cruises:,of the onboard photography services.

What is the Dining Dress Code | Disney Cruise Line

Thanks I didn't think about formal wear!
Door Decorations

She probably mentioned a Royal Court Tea party. It’s an extra fee, includes a gift. My memory is it’s pricey.

There may be a Royal Gathering event, with many princesses. More info to search…

(We don’t travel with kids.)
Yes Royal Gathering! What is it?

My best advice is that as with the parks, you can’t do everything. Focus on doing a few things you want to do and don’t even think about what you are missing.

You will be able to book excursions and most onboard activities 75 days before sailing. Take some time to think about what you want to book. If you can’t get something you want, try as soon as you are onboard.

The Disney Cruise line app has 2 different forms. Before your cruise, you can use it to book activities and see what you have booked. This requires a Disney account (same account as the US parks). Once you are at the port, the app will change to show what is happening each day, provide texting between guests, show onboard charges, and allow for adults to make placeholder reservations for another cruise, among other features. Everyone in your group can access the app individually on their devices using their name and room number, even if they don’t have a Disney account.

If you want to book Palo or Enchante, go for it, but it is also fine to just enjoy the main dining rooms twice each plus Pirate night.

If you want to book Disney excursions, go for it, but you can also have a great time wandering around ports on your own (or through private excursions). Just be sure to get back to the ship well before all-aboard time.

If your kids are into characters, wait in line to see a few, but also keep your eyes open as you walk around the ship because characters also walk from place to place.

You can plan ahead as much or as little as you want, knowing that you’ll have places to dine and activities to enjoy without making any reservations or firm plans.
Can Enchante be reserved for a parents only lunch while the kids are in the Oceaneer Club.

By the way, as exciting as this is (I love the idea of anyone’s Disney cruise - okay Amy cruise), but I also love Hawaii.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter