Women's clothing rant and question

Travel60

DIS Veteran
Ladies, Is anyone else as disgusted as I am with the selection of ladies clothing in stores?

For background, I'm a size 6-8 petite/misses. I'm past the point of "letting it all hang out" because.... well, things aren't hanging where they used to. But for those younger (or fitter) than I am, go for it. So this question is really for the 40s and up crowd.

It seems most of the department stores cater to teens/20s as do most of the specialty stores in the mall. A lot of poorly-made, flashy or trendy stuff to wear a few times then toss. And much too baring for most adults. It's called fast fashion.

This sort of snuck up on me because for 30 years I've shopped almost exclusively at my "classic" ladies store (you know the brand). I bought well-made, tailored clothing for work and play. Suits, pants, tops, dresses. But, over the last couple of years they, too, seem to have adopted the fast fashion model. Thin, easily wrinkled fabric, loud prints, odd colors, ruffles on top of ruffles, etc. So, I've been looking for new places to shop. I may go back to making my own or find a tailor to do so.

Am I just getting old and grumpy or are others having the same issue? Where do you shop?

Well, I'm 59 and I agree with you. I still go into the office, or I go to weddings, etc. While I'm in shape, I'm past the point of wanting to show my bare arms in the office (plus it's cold in my office. I might find a really fabulous silouette for a dress, only to find that the sides of each waist are "cut out" bearing most of my torso.

I don't mind fast fashion and usually, once I year I can find a really nice outfit that meets all my requirements in Zara but not this year.

The clothing manufacturers market to the where they can get the most money and apparently that is not to older demographic. It's a shame because I would seriously drop some cash if I could find nice clothes.

And no, I do not wear ruffles, big flowers, etc. but it's all over the place.

I just want pockets! I don't think that's asking for too much, is it? Pockets that I can fit more than a quarter into!

But, yeah, I've noticed that too (33 but prefer to be more covered) especially the thin fabric! I don't want what color bra I'm wearing to be know by every Tom and Tracey!

And why aren't they cutting button up shirts to be ample room for the chest? I have to get up to 2 sizes bigger just to not have the button look like it's hanging on for dear life!

I’m 61 and size XL. I always have a hard time finding clothes cause it seems designers think heavier people are blind so use all their ugly patterns for the bigger sizes. I like a slightly longer short sleeve and tunic length cause I like to wear leggings. So much more comfortable than jeans. Those are hard to find too. I recently started shopping online at Maurice’s. We have a store about 15 minutes away but you get better deals online. I’ve been very happy with their selections. I also shop JCP. I use to like Kohl’s but not so much anymore. In a pinch I’ll even browse Walmart.

Same here, these days I also shop at the Marshalls and TJ discount stores but the odd thing is I can't seem to find an equivalent selection in the high end department stores, which I thought were the main distribution. Shopping is so weird now, I hate the hit or miss of it & hold on to my classic things these days because they are irreplaceable. I miss malls having a good selection, lately it seems brick and mortar they are nothing more than returns storage.

I have had hit or miss luck at Marshalls, TJMaxx, Nordstrom (online), and Nordstrom Rack but most of my clothes come from the online retailer, eshakti. They have a wide selection, will customize items (change the length, sleeve, neckline), and the quality has been excellent. I purchased my first made to my size items in 2017, wear those dresses, tops, and skirts regularly, and they looked like new on our recent WDW vacation.

Am I just getting old and grumpy or are others having the same issue? Where do you shop?

I agree with your post, it can be really difficult to find clothing. I'm also only 5'0" tall - which doesn't help me in my search!

You asked where people are shopping for clothing? I've been having better luck with Orvis, WHBM, Talbots and Chicos. Sometimes Lands End. I enjoy a good turn thru Marshalls now & again, but most times I don't end up buying anything there.

Plus size here. Since Catherine's closed their in-person stores, I have to get my clothes entirely online.

I use OneStopPlus. For smaller sizes, Coldwater Creek, Chicos, Serengeti Fashions (they have some plus size as well), and White House Black Market, Lands End (also some plus size).

Over 40, size 2-4, 5'2". I mostly buy my home/chill out clothes from amazon, TJ Maxx, Zara, Marshalls- I suppose it's fast fashion but it's fairly basic clothing, nothing flashy at all. Mostly it's athleisure attire I'd guess, think imitation lulu. I think since most of it is for younger women, so it works for me being shorter.

And my work clothes, (which isn't much since I only go to an office 1-2 days/week), are also from Marshalls, Zara, TJ Maxx, White House/Black Market and Lilly. I mostly do basic solid classic sheath dresses essentially or a tweed dress suit for fall/winter. I do like ruffles, but don't care for super loud prints. I bailed on Ann Taylor, LOFT, Banana, Gap, H&M a while ago, the clothes just seem way overpriced for what looks like something from Old Navy. Our dept stores have some nicer brands, but I really don't love going to the malls, so I try to avoid them as much as I can. Most of what's out there, even if you spend $250 on a dress suit isn't going to be super high quality anyway. The craftsmanship just doesn't exist and as awful as it is, if a 12 year old in cambodia can make something for less money than someone else in another country, you best believe that company is going the sweatshop route to get as much profit as they can. I wish our country could kill some of these imports but it's too big a business.

I’ve found that even macys is crap now.

I used to be a kohls girl. I still shop there, but their stuff for big girls has no style. And the quality has gotten awful. Penney’s is ok sometimes. I just don’t even like shopping anymore.

I took a job in a hospital so now it’s scrubs for work. I only need clothes for puttering around the house and a few decent pants for church or going out.

Most of my shopping for work clothes these days is online as the brick and mortar stores near me that I used to shop at that many others have mentioned already like Macys, Ann Taylor, and Banana just don’t seem to have the quality they used to. I have had good luck with Boden especially for pants although I try to wait for a sale. One of my secret resources is Eileen Fisher’s resale site called eileenfisherrenew. I have the crepe pants and merino cardigans in multiple colors.

For casual wear, I like LL Bean for hoodies. Amazon has pants that are very similar to Lulu, and I’ve found some tees that work for me that have held up well so far.

I’m 5’2, mid 60s & retired so not looking for work clothes. I was an RN so thankfully wore scrubs at work. I rarely buy clothes anymore. Pre pandemic I always found casual clothes at Kohl’s. They seem to have a much smaller selection the last few years. I still get most stuff there, but I buy very little & only twice a year now. The worst is trying to find jeans. I’ve needed new ones for years but it’s impossible to find a size 14 that looks even half decent.

I have not enjoyed an old fashioned shopping trip since March 13, 2020. Lord & Taylor was my favorite store. I also did well at Macy’s.

I also am not a fan of see-through clothing. Quality is going down the tubes. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Now all my shopping is done online at Lands End, Nordstrom Rack, and Bloomingdale’s. I have to pay high end prices to get acceptable quality clothing.

I don't work in an office anymore, so I can please myself. When you see a gal who looks stuck in 1980's-00s, wave to a fellow DISer - 'cause that's probably me! :wave:

I used to love shopping, but zero interest in what they're offering these days. I just wear the stuff I have - I like how it looks, it's comfortable and to heck with 'em all. (More $$$ saved for vacations.):rotfl:

I have terrible issues with clothes, 5’ 3” and bottom heavy, almost 40…the past few years it’s become almost impossible to find decent clothes.

I honestly do most of my shopping at community aide and when I do buy new clothes I buy from Lauriebelles, which is a online boutique but they have a great return policy. I would not wear 70% of their clothing but 30% is nice fitting and everything I have gotten from there is soft and high quality.

I agree with your post, it can be really difficult to find clothing. I'm also only 5'0" tall - which doesn't help me in my search!

You asked where people are shopping for clothing? I've been having better luck with Orvis, WHBM, Talbots and Chicos. Sometimes Lands End. I enjoy a good turn thru Marshalls now & again, but most times I don't end up buying anything there.
I buy swimwear and occasional coverup dress from Lands End. When I lived in Florida I shopped Chicos but it seems a bit flashy for northeast. I do have some black Travelers that I like. Have you noticed a steep decline in quality of Talbots?

It's a shame because I would seriously drop some cash if I could find nice clothes

Exactly this! My mortgages are paid off, kids through university, 401Ks fully funded. I have more money to spend on myself than any other time in my life. Not sure why they are chasing teens/20s

I used to shop at Macy’s but got frustrated with inconsistent sizing. In the past 3 years, most of my new casual clothes have come from Costco. They don’t have as many options as most clothing stores, but what they have holds up well. When I find a style that fits me, I buy it in several colors. I like dresses with short sleeves (not sleeveless) and pockets, and Costco is one of the few places I can find them at a decent price. I now own a dozen or so in 3 different styles, because I buy one every time a new color arrives.

I have also found nice clothes with pockets from Land’s End, but they have so many items I find it difficult to search through their web site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter