where to get "classic" cocktails on the Magic & also your non fruity favorites

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
Me again with upcoming adult only cruise.

I like to have a couple of cocktails but prefer more of the classics like a manhattan, negroni, whiskey sour, old fashioned etc.

Except for the key lime margarita (I do love a good margarita) the drinks of the day all do not really super appeal to me, I don't love booze mixed with a ton lot of sugar/fruit juices etc.

I would guess on the Dream/Fantasy the place for that would be the Meridian bar - even though last time I went I didn't indulge it felt like it had that kind of a vibe. What is the equivalent on the Magic to find some nice simple classic cocktails as opposed to the fruity tropical ones?

Also can you order anything other than the specialty cocktail in the MDR or would I need to get a cocktail from somewhere on the way in if I don't want that?

Also can you get the specialty cocktail the rest of the cruise if you want it? The one that appeals most is the key lime margarita on the first night.

I am a gin & tonic and negroni drinker, and I cannot recommend the Jazz 75 "Porthole" enough from the Soul Cat Lounge on the Magic. It is gin infused with fresh citrus mixed with champagne.
ooh thank you - I edited my title to ask for more ideas on non-fruity drinks. I can't be the only one who doesn't want 8 kinds of fruit juices mucking my cocktails!

The trick is finding the right bar tender - on our cruise last week we found two folks that stood out on the classic cocktail front - Natalija was up in Signals, and Ospie down in Keys.
I will keep an eye out for them, I wonder how long their contracts are. Off to see what the hours of Keys are.

Looks like it opens at 6:30 so a pre-dinner drink there might be a nice idea!

Also can you order anything other than the specialty cocktail in the MDR or would I need to get a cocktail from somewhere on the way in if I don't want that?

Also can you get the specialty cocktail the rest of the cruise if you want it? The one that appeals most is the key lime margarita on the first night.
Sorry, in my excitement to recommend the Jazz 75 drink, I forgot to answer your questions.

1) Yes! You can order whatever you would like at the MDR, you are not limited to the specialty cocktails that are on the menu.
2) Yes! From my experiences, you can order the specialty drink at whatever bar or restaurant you are at. Pro-tip: I would recommend taking a screenshot/picture of the menu so that you can show a bartender or server to jog their memory. I do not think that a key lime margarita will be an issue for this, but some specialty drinks have names that have no bearing on what is in the actual drink.

Sorry, in my excitement to recommend the Jazz 75 drink, I forgot to answer your questions.

1) Yes! You can order whatever you would like at the MDR, you are not limited to the specialty cocktails that are on the menu.
2) Yes! From my experiences, you can order the specialty drink at whatever bar or restaurant you are at. Pro-tip: I would recommend taking a screenshot/picture of the menu so that you can show a bartender or server to jog their memory. I do not think that a key lime margarita will be an issue for this, but some specialty drinks have names that have no bearing on what is in the actual drink.
ooh thanks. I probably won't be ordering some of the funky ones with funky names. Looking at the menu it looks like Keys will end up being our go-to place though the soul lounge is neat too. Of course I was drawn to the whistle-pig old fashioned but I can buy a whole bottle of WP rye for the cost of a bit over 2 of those drinks so maybe not, lol

Have you ever gotten the Double Crown drink on the Fantasy? It's on one of the Royal Palace menus. It has Crown Royal and some other things in it. I like Old Fashions and this is good. They have it at Lumiere's on the Magic. You should be able to get any bourbon/whiskey drink at all of the restaurants and bars. I'm not a huge fruity drink fan either, although I do like mojitos. You can tell the bartenders what kind of drink you like and the really good ones will suggest or even come up with ones for you.

Have you ever gotten the Double Crown drink on the Fantasy? It's on one of the Royal Palace menus. It has Crown Royal and some other things in it. I like Old Fashions and this is good. They have it at Lumiere's on the Magic. You should be able to get any bourbon/whiskey drink at all of the restaurants and bars. I'm not a huge fruity drink fan either, although I do like mojitos. You can tell the bartenders what kind of drink you like and the really good ones will suggest or even come up with ones for you.
I haven't but that one was on my short list also. It's a little sweeter than I normally like but I do like cosmos (with cranberry juice.) Just not the utter sugar bombs that is basically boozy tropical punch.

I had a Cape Cod for the price of the daily drink (some peach schnapps concoction). Just asked to leave out an ingredient or two, top it with lime. Since it was at adult trivia and the bar was not hopping, I wasn’t slowing down service.

The beauty of the ship is you can walk up to a bar, ask if they can make your request - if no, move on to one that can.

And the Soul Cat (formerly Promenade) often seemed empty, might be a good place to try.

I had a Cape Cod for the price of the daily drink (some peach schnapps concoction). Just asked to leave out an ingredient or two, top it with lime. Since it was at adult trivia and the bar was not hopping, I wasn’t slowing down service.

The beauty of the ship is you can walk up to a bar, ask if they can make your request - if no, move on to one that can.

And the Soul Cat (formerly Promenade) often seemed empty, might be a good place to try.
That is one of the nice things about DCL , the bars are accessible and comfortable and affordable. I don't drink cocktails often, but a beer and my favorite game in my favorite atmosphere is worth the ticket price.

Keys is a great place for nice drinks that are more grown up than a pinacolava from the pool deck. It (and its counterpart on the Wonder, the Cadillac Lounge) is my favorite of all the DCL bars on the first four ships.

Yes, as mentioned above it's all about the bartender.
I tiped one fat and she invented the Mermaids Tear (Pirates of the Caribbean) for us.
Fabulous drink.

The Grogu drink is adorable! What was in it? Also do you remember what the Mermaids Tear was made with and could a non-alcoholic version be good?

Keys is a great place for nice drinks that are more grown up than a pinacolava from the pool deck. It (and its counterpart on the Wonder, the Cadillac Lounge) is my favorite of all the DCL bars on the first four ships.
I haven't been on a classic ship on decades but I remember loving the Cadillac lounge.

Following! We go on the Fantasy in 3 weeks. Although I like the taste of fruity alcohol, it gives me an almost instant stomachache. I enjoy a Mojito or Classic Margarita and am interested in suggestions for similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter