What percentage of owners are membership extras eligible?

samsp99

Earning My Ears
AFAIK Disney only added the direct purchase restrictions in 2019, and DVC has been in place for decades, so what percentage of the DVC ownership are members of the ND club?

Other than doing a long and exhaustive title search, not sure how any outsider would be able to know.

If the titles (public record) have been ingested into OpenAI - it may be able to give you some part pieces to guess
e.g.
*How many unique owners have a Disney title between XXX and 2019?
*How many unique owners have a title purchased from Disney between 2019 and today?
*How many unique owners have a title purchased from a non Disney party between 2019 and today?)

- Lots of data imperfections there (accounting for sales, owners with purchases before and after 2019, are unique owners really unique, etc - but may get you directionally correct number.

Percentages is kind of hard. Since a lot of owners own more than one contract. We have 5 contracts and only one does not have the benefits. I would estimate it is probably around 85-90% of all owners have the Y. DVC has created a bunch of different categories of owners now. It doesn’t make sense and makes things difficult for DVC and its owners. You have owners with full benefits, which purchased directly from DVC the proper required points, but also includes resale buyers up to some date in 2016. Then you have resale buyers from 2016-2019 who do not have full benefits but can use their points at any ( including all new) DVC properties. You have resale owners 2019 to current if they bought at the original 14 resorts can still use them at any original 14 resorts with no benefits. The Riviera and probably VDH and Cabins at Fort Wilderness resale owners can only be used at the resort the contracts are from and no benefits. You also have people who purchased direct points from DVC who didn’t buy enough to get full benefits, but can use the points at all DVC resorts. I may have missed a group or two. It’s gets to be too much

Last edited:
Membership extras eligibility changed in 2016, not 2019.

In 2019, they added resale restrictions on where points can be used…which is different.

I think it would be too hard to even figure out because an owner is eligible for the extras by owning a certain number of direct purchased points or resale points that were purchased prior to 2016.

However, many owners can be eligible because they have what they need but also own a lot of resale points too.

Before a certain date in 2016 all contracts (including resale) got member extra. Then, for about a two year period ANY direct points (i.e., as few as 25) gave you member extras. Then, for a couple of years, it was 75 points to get member extras. Now it's 150 points for member extras. This is DVC-Y or DVC-ND.

This is different that the resale restrictions, which began with RIV, and affect where resale points can be used.

I wonder if an informal poll here would have any significant representation of the "whole"?

Id say its actually a fairly high percentage if I were to guess, but it'd be just that, a guess.

I'm thinking its 70%+
I actually think it is at least 80% + . Not many 1st time buyers are aware of resale and if they are a large percentage will still buy enough direct points for a blue card due to FOMO. Then they may add resale later.

I wonder if an informal poll here would have any significant representation of the "whole"?
I doubt it. The membership here is skewed towards us people who have owned for longer, and people who owned during the periods when you got grandfathered in or a small direct contract got you benefits. And a LOT of us bought small direct contracts FOR benefits. And there are probably FAR more Disboarders that buy a few points at resorts as they open - not every resort, but a lot of them. And I suspect on average we own more points per member. We are a strange population subset that I suspect isn't representative, but its still an interesting question - "What percentage of DisBoard DVC members qualify?"

I think we would be over representative of resale buyers… I think a significant chunk of DVC direct buyers aren’t aware that resale is an option… so presumably, they don’t hang out on these boards.

I suspect just the opposite. I suspect a large portion of us ended up here after buying direct, and that while many of us may have purchased resale after arriving here, I doubt that's what brought most of us here the first time. Hard to impossible to prove either way, but a fun little sub-discussion nonetheless.

Many of us have been around since the fairly early days of DVC when there wasn't really an established DVC resale market (See what I did there? LOL) and found 'this place' to learn more about what we had already done and to share experiences. I suspect you're correct in thinking that in more recent years, while a much larger percentage of people working the DVC portions of this board are indeed resale buyers, it's probably still not the biggest percentage of the new coming in nor of the group as a whole here and will take a long time to offset that 10-15 year run of mostly direct buyers that still hang around.

I think we would be over representative of resale buyers… I think a significant chunk of DVC direct buyers aren’t aware that resale is an option… so presumably, they don’t hang out on these boards.

Maybe. But in today's day and age, when you can type "should I buy DVC" into your phone while waiting for your tour, I suspect a lot MORE people are aware of the resale market before they sign, even buying direct while on vacation. BUT the math in buying resale has changed several times over the years. Sometimes, resale - even without membership extras - is a no brainer because the resale contracts are cheap. Sometimes you might as well buy direct because resale is expensive. So one variable is when most members of the Disboards bought their contracts.

Either way, if I were a data scientist, I wouldn't use the Disboards as a representative sample for anything regarding Disney - other than what Disboard members do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter