What do you do before vacation..to make it easier when returning home..

This is the first time we will go to Disney and have our son stay behind.

Hmmmm, I may have to think about what to do AND what to tell him to do.

The best thing we started doing when the kids were school age and I was teaching was to return home on Saturday not Sunday. What a difference it made to have that extra day to unwind and regroup.

I was talking to a friend last night, she and her family had returned home last Sunday from seeing Mickey and the gang. She called to thank me for helping her plan their trip and that it was so wonderful. Then the conversation turned to what a nightmare trying to get home was they got laid over for more than 3 additional hours, so instead of landing at 2:00ish they did not land until 5:00ish a 2+ hour ride home. So they did not even get home till 8:00ish, and then thing really went downhill from there, nothing to eat or make for dinner with, NO Coffee>:( for the morning, or breakfast or lunch food the next day. Some issue with things the kids needed for the next day, and then she got a reminder that she had a pot-luck luncheon the next day and needed a dish, plus a mountain of laundry, She said that it was like all the magic just blew out the window.

So this got me thinking. I know that this has happened to me a few times, so I got a list together and I live by it.. What are some of the things you do ahead before you leave for vacation that make coming home easier.

So here are some of thing that I do.

1) all the laundry is done, only the PJ's from the night before and towels from morning shower, and I try to get them washed and dried, before we head out, if time does not allow, the towels are hung over the shower to dry so they don't mildew.

2) Thorough house cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, sweeping and mopping. I break this up during the week so not all at once. It's nice to come back to a clean house.

3) Being on top of everyone's schedule for the following week. Double and triple checking.. then rechecking.. I have been a walmart at midnight before so this is a lesson that I had to learn the hard way.

4) Clean out frig, and use up what we already have.

5) Getting a plan together for if dinner is going to be needed, and/or having some kind of snack if we are getting in late. I have freezer meals, that can be thaw out quickly, but if it going to be really late, then we plan and budget for meals when traveling.

6) frozen bagels, cream cheese for a quick breakfast, coffee and a unopened creamer.

7) pick up dry cleaning - This is a must for DH as several times his schedules changed at the last minute and he had to travel the following week.

8) Take out the trash, also ask a neighbor to put your bins at the road, and offer to do theirs when they are on vacation.

9) With Pets, double check reservations at Vet's or with dog sitter, make sure all medication, food and vet info is left out.:dogdance:

Another nod to returning to a sparkling clean house. I also try to schedule it so we don't have to go to work or school the next day.

The best thing we started doing when the kids were school age and I was teaching was to return home on Saturday not Sunday. What a difference it made to have that extra day to unwind and regroup.

I so agree with this... That extra day really helps give you a chance to recoup and slowly work your way back to the real world. In doing this the kids realized we were giving up a extra day with Mickey, so we would leave on Friday night once we got off work, and we could drive as far as Lake City easily when we lived in the panhandle, then its was only 3 hours or so to the House of the Mouse. When we lived in GA. We could make it almost to Gainesville, we would stay out side of Gainesville and could get a room for under 100.00 bucks at Hampton inn or Holiday Inn.

We also clean the house and come back Saturday - it gives time to recoup, attend church, etc... before beginning the work week

plus it gives ME time to run to my office and see what needs to be handled when I get there on Monday

I clean the house from top to bottom - a quirk I got from my Mom. Her reasoning is that if she died in a crash, relatives would see a clean house - she was a bit morbid, but we loved that about her. My reasoning is that I don't want to come home from a great vacation and immediately be faced with having to clean the house.

Before we leave Disney, I do all of our laundry (throw in a load on our way to the parks, dry it during our midday break, fold it at night when we get in). It takes very little time and effort to do this a little at a time - and it's all going to have to be folded back in the suitcase anyway - but I love not having piles of laundry when we get home!

As for food, I don't clean out the fridge - we're only gone a week - but we usually swing by Walgreens the night we get home and pick up fresh milk and cereal for the kids to have in the morning. We drive and our nearest big city is two hours away (Nashville), so we try to time it to have supper there at The Cheesecake Factory and then get home by late evening. It works for us.

I'll chime in!

After returning home a few times to a very cold or very hot house I ask a friend to duck in and turn on the heat or a/c for me a couple hours before we are due to get home.

I clean the house and do the laundry. I find this so much easier now that my youngest is 8. It didn't always happen when I had a house full of littles!

I like coming home to fresh sheets so I try to change the beds the morning we leave. Doesn't always happen, lol, but when it does I am so happy I took the time.

The groceries I make sure to have: Coffee, tea, sugar, bread (in the freezer), frozen pizza or some other frozen convenience food, cans of peaches (the only time we really eat them is after a trip), butter and an unopened box of cereal.

We pick up milk at the 24 hour quick market on the way home or we ask the friend to bring some when he turns on the heat/ac.

I also leave myself a note on the fridge of things that are happening the week we are home because my brain is still on vacation and I'll forget something if I don't do that.

My husband installed a NEST thermostat for us. A gadget that irritated me at first, but it's great for vacations! We set it to "Away" when we leave and then switch the heat or air back on via one of our iPhones. It also comes in handy at night when I wake up and the temp isn't quite right - I can adjust the thermostat without ever leaving the bed.

My husband and I went on a delayed honeymoon to WDW this year in January, and Mother Nature really had it in for us. We left the day before a big blizzard hit at our house. An unexpected ice storm the night before we left made my husband very late getting home from work, so we were scrambling to get everything packed and had hardly any time to tidy up for my SIL, who was staying at our house through the storm in case the power went out so that she could turn on our gas fireplace to keep our cats and our pipes warm. Also, our cats were mad that we left and made it a goal to throw up in as many places as possible while we were gone. We got home late at night to find only the first 8' or so of our driveway cleared out, our cars buried in several feet of snow (we had gotten a ride to and from the airport), our fridge empty, our house a mess, and cat puke everywhere. Uhh...we're definitely not at Disney anymore.

So what did we learn? If we go somewhere during a time that they're calling for a blizzard, we might just put a car in covered long term parking at the airport instead of having family drive us to the airport, because it was really miserable to have shovel for several hours before we could get groceries. We will definitely be taking a full day off work the day before we leave to make sure that the house is tidy. I'm also going to make sure there are clean sheets on the bed, I have a fresh clean pair of pjs, and that there is creamer for my coffee plus something to cook for breakfast in the fridge. We had stopped off for a pizza on the way home from the airport, which was genius, and we'll do that again. I was also glad that I had bought a throw blankets on our trip, because it was nice to snuggle up under a Disney blanket on our first day home and even now, looking at it reminds of our fun trip.

My husband and I went on a delayed honeymoon to WDW this year in January, and Mother Nature really had it in for us. We left the day before a big blizzard hit at our house. An unexpected ice storm the night before we left made my husband very late getting home from work, so we were scrambling to get everything packed and had hardly any time to tidy up for my SIL, who was staying at our house through the storm in case the power went out so that she could turn on our gas fireplace to keep our cats and our pipes warm. Also, our cats were mad that we left and made it a goal to throw up in as many places as possible while we were gone. We got home late at night to find only the first 8' or so of our driveway cleared out, our cars buried in several feet of snow (we had gotten a ride to and from the airport), our fridge empty, our house a mess, and cat puke everywhere. Uhh...we're definitely not at Disney anymore.

So what did we learn? If we go somewhere during a time that they're calling for a blizzard, we might just put a car in covered long term parking at the airport instead of having family drive us to the airport, because it was really miserable to have shovel for several hours before we could get groceries. We will definitely be taking a full day off work the day before we leave to make sure that the house is tidy. I'm also going to make sure there are clean sheets on the bed, I have a fresh clean pair of pjs, and that there is creamer for my coffee plus something to cook for breakfast in the fridge. We had stopped off for a pizza on the way home from the airport, which was genius, and we'll do that again. I was also glad that I had bought a throw blankets on our trip, because it was nice to snuggle up under a Disney blanket on our first day home and even now, looking at it reminds of our fun trip.

OP here -I use to do the take the day off method before vacation... Then I realized it would be so much more fun to use that day as travel so a extra day for where we were going. While DH and I are empty nesters, and grandparents now we still get ready to travel the same way.

So I do the cleaning and washing all week before - Running the dishwasher the night before, then using paper plates the morning we would leave. Take the trash out - I go through the house like 5 times making sure all the trash is out.

Start packing 2 to 3 weeks ahead ( I start planning what will need months ahead of time) which is a big help when you realize that something doesn't fit, has a stain, or rip..... or one of the kids doesn't fit into any shorts, true story, Step daughter arrives to go to WDW with us, so I double check her bags... 15 shirts and 1 pair of short, So we had to make a mad dash to the mall. This is a reason that I don't wait till the last minute as life will "surprise" you with obstacles. Plus everything need to be washed.. Yes her mom sent her with dirty clothes, this happened all the time.

Also when kids where in school, making sure that their school clothes, backpack, homework and projects were ready to go... Also the big Kids ( DH and I) had are stuff ready for the work week ahead.

I check the frig and freezer, and make a plan for what to make for dinner on the 1st night home, and for breakfast( coffee and creamer is a must) and lunch the next day. I also make sure to have something on hand for a emergency snack for school or work... Lets just say I have been at Wal-mart at midnight before... Lesson learned..

Clean sheets are a must... nothing like laying down in clean sheets after vacation....

Pay all the bills... now most people do it from the screen(on-line banking), but I like to make sure ahead of time. No surprises..

I check, recheck, then double check everyone's schedules.

I do everything the OP does, same check list almost to a 'T'
I also have a lasagna or something in the freezer for the next day.

And I never go back to work the day following vacation. My kids may have school or camp, etc. but not Momma.

I make sure my house is cleaned from top to bottom. That means any thing left hanging aound in the basement ( my catch all spot) is put where it belongs and the floor is swept. My litter box is down there as well so I make sure the box is cleaned so my cat sitter is not left with anything extra.

I do all the laundry and change my sheets the day before we leave. We always take the 6 AM flight out and I cannot figure out how to get sheets washed dried and put away before 4 AM< so we sleep in the bed one night.

I clean out the fridge of anything that will go bad, and make sue I have unopened coffee cream for our return.

No trash left inside, no dirty dishes in the dishwasher, no countertop appliances plugged in.

My DH does not always travel with us, so when he is home I still clean everything but I may skip scrubbing the floors. He works for a construction company, and his boots drag sand and gavel in the house. I'll just dust mop and vaccuum, and do it again when I get back.

I still have the cat sitter when he is hometo be sure Baxter gets enough attention, and I buy plenty of sandwich fillings and ice cream and cookies, his old standby. He runs the microwave but the stove is a disaster for him. My neighbor's will invite him fo dinner and send the kids up to drag him over. He loves it! LOL!

I love vacation, but I love coming home. There is nothing like walking into my nice clean home after even a few days away.

You guys are my people! My kitchen is sparkling, laundry done and sheets changed before I go on vacation. The only other things I do are to stop my mail if I'm gone for more than 5 days and I have the mailman bring it one extra day after I get home (in case my flight is delayed) so I don't have a big bunch of mail sticking out of my mailbox. I also usually get a ride to/from the airport so I make sure I just take my house key with me so I'm not carrying around my whole keyring. I put it in the same spot in my carry-on bag so I can find it when I arrive home.

Before our very first family trip (2 weeks in 1994) I left behind a pristine house. Even the fridge was emptied and cleaned thoroughly. The cupboards were stocked with non-perishables and I made a list of the real essentials such as milk, eggs, etc. Once we arrived home, the family unloaded the car and then I went straight out and was home 15 min later with enough to keep us going for a few days. It really helped to know exactly what to expect when we came home. Had we been delayed until some awful hour, we could have fallen straight into clean beds and the grocery run would have happened in the morning.

Since that first wonderful trip, we acquired canine family members who stayed behind. We have been very fortunate to have dependable people who stay with the furkids. I still clean like a demon, and don't expect to come home to any order whatsoever. As long as my dogs have been well tended and loved, I prepare to roll up my sleeves whe I get home. However... I have to admit, this has been taking an ever-increasing toll on my vacation enjoyment.

When we started planning for a lengthy trip this year, I started putting aside a few dollars every payday to pay for boarding our dog! I am already breathing easier about our return.

I will walk out the door, leaving the power off for all major appliances, and my DD will flip the circuit breakers back on the day before we come home.

I do a lot of the same things. Can't leave town without an empty laundry basket. Have nonperishables in the pantry. Make sure any bills due the week we return are paid. I also have to leave the house completely clean.

Most important.......

Go onto your banks websites and let them all know that your traveling and the dates.. They all have this and it'll help with using the cards away from home.

I usually make sure the house is tidy and laundry is up to date. Because our trips are extended I also try and pre-pay any bills that may be due in the first few weeks of returning home. I'll also have some kind of frozen food ready to go in the freezer - never fun attempting to cook after a 14 hour plus flight plus a drive home.

Also, wine and chocolate need to be available - to get over the miseries :)

House is cleaned-- that's mandatory.

But we're very lucky as teachers. We only go to WDW over the summer. So when we return home, we're not going right back to school. There's a buffer between our trip and all the places we need to be.

We tend to get a late flight home. I'm a morning person no matter what, so I can head out to 7-11 for milk, and/or hit the bagel store for breakfast. From that point on we can cope. That first night home we tend to order in dinner, since I'm frequently doing laundry for a good part of the day.

I have a wonderful BIL that comes and watches our house and fur/feather babies. I have cats, dogs, and birds, so we can't just up and go when we please it takes some planning. Thank goodness we have him, he is so good with the pets. We stock the fridge/pantry for him. Just one thing with him-like a previous poster-he can't seem to figure out where to put the dishes back, lol. And he also won't use the dishwasher, so for the first week home we will find dishes that aren't exactly "clean". No matter, we are so thankful to have a great sitter!

I clean the house, get all the laundry done, change sheets. I also stop the mail. We will do some laundry while we are swimming at the pool so we don't have to carry home many dirty clothes, it's also nice to not have to pack so much down there.

For me packing is very easy, I have shirts/shorts that I only wear to Disney, so I just move them from the closet to the suitcase. I also have a Disney box-I start throwing items that I know we are going to take with us months before the trip. So if I buy shampoo that has a bonus conditioner for example, it goes in the box.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter