What design trends in a few years will say you remodeled in the mid 2020s?

LoveDaisy

DIS Veteran
I am doing some remodeling this year and have been watching some home remodeling show for ideas. I’m wanting to go more classic and not something that screams when I remodeled.

A few of mine:
Waterfall countertop
Farmhouse sink
Shiplap
Gray luxury vinyl planks
Open shelves instead of cabinets

This one is controversial lol
Stainless appliances.

Open Floor Plan
Shiplap
Gray anything
Stainless
Granite
Luxury Vinyl
No Tub in Primary Bath

Open Floor Plan

Stand alone tubs
Our house was built in the 1990’s. It has a wide open floor plan, and the primary bathroom has a separate shower and soaking tub. These items have been in place since day one. A wide open floor plan in Florida makes it easier to circulate air, lowering cooling costs. Interesting that people feel that those features will date a home to the mid 2020’s. I am on board with that.

I think if you do a classic design when remodeling as opposed to trying to be trendy, you’ll get more longevity from the outcome. However, it’s your house, your money, and you have every right to decorate it in a way that you enjoy, regardless of what anyone else thinks. When you sell the house, the next owner will have their own ideas about what the house should look like. So long as you haven’t made any structural changes that would involve a contractor to remove, it won’t make a huge difference. The only thing we did before putting our last house on the market was paint all the rooms white (they had been various colors).

Gray actually screams 2010s, not 2020s. It's been outdated for quite a while now.

One of 2020s biggest kitchen trends I've noticed is extremely dark-colored cabinetry--everything from black to dark navy blue to chocolate brown. These colors are already looking dated.

I think stainless steel appliances are almost timeless. They've been a staple in commercial kitchens for a long time and they look great in almost any kitchen, unless you're going for a cottage-style look.

And even though I really don't like this look in a kitchen, subway tile backsplash is also pretty timeless.

Brown and part-brown granite is very very yesterday. Stay away from this. I also think quartz (not quartzite) countertops say "2020s."

All this being said, unless you're planning on selling your home at some point, do what pleases you, not what you think might look dated at point X. Styles come and go but you're the one who'll be living with this.

I think if you do a classic design when remodeling as opposed to trying to be trendy, you’ll get more longevity from the outcome. However, it’s your house, your money, and you have every right to decorate it in a way that you enjoy, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I agree. While it is fine to watch those TV design shows to get ideas, the most important thing is having a layout that works for your family. Chasing what is trendy probably means that in 5 yrs you will need to remodel again. Clearly those SELLING you their remodeling service want it that way to get repeat business.

Many of the newer stainless appliances now come with a surface that is less prone to fingerprints and easier to clean. I think there are probably also different grades of stainless used by the various companies who make appliances.

I don't consider an 'open floor plan' as trendy but more functional for how most people live. If you only use your 'formal dining room' a few times a year for major holidays, probably that floor space could be better configured for year-round use.

Inexpensive flooring materials (vinyl or laminate) will wear out over time from foot traffic and can't be refinished. Calling it 'luxury' vinyl doesn't change the fact you can't refinish it. What seemed like a bargain may turn into a costly redo once you realize how worn out the flooring looks.

Our house was built in the 1990’s. It has a wide open floor plan, and the primary bathroom has a separate shower and soaking tub. These items have been in place since day one. A wide open floor plan in Florida makes it easier to circulate air, lowering cooling costs. Interesting that people feel that those features will date a home to the mid 2020’s. I am on board with that.
I agree about the open floor plans. They’ve been popular since the 90’s. And I don’t see them ever really going away.

Stand alone soaking tubs have been around forever, but these days, they seem to be the standard go to for every new bathroom renovation I see.

Agree with the comments about so-called luxury vinyl flooring. It looks awful even when it's new. I guess it became popular because it's cheaper than real wood or tile.
For some reason, in my FB feed I get posts from people who are thinking of remodeling and asking for others' opinions. I am shocked by the number of people who are considering ripping out their hardwood floors to put in vinyl flooring. I can't imagine.

Like everyone else has said - grey on grey on grey!

Also, kitchen islands with little floor space.

Barn doors. Inside, I mean!! 😉

One big open living space. ...Which is great for socializing and keeping an eye on younger children, for example, but doesn't give privacy or soundproofing when people need those things. I like listening to music when cooking, what about someone who is trying to concentrate on work or wants to hear the TV? I love an open living space to a point, but prefer at least one separate space alongside.

I used to like watching shows like My Dream Home, but they ended up doing the same to every home! (With a few exceptions.) Also, some of the decisions to get that point. e.g., kitchen sink directly (inches) behind heads of people sitting on living room couch?!

Basically, use resources to look for what inspires you, not what others tell you you should like/do!

I think if you do a classic design when remodeling as opposed to trying to be trendy, you’ll get more longevity from the outcome. However, it’s your house, your money, and you have every right to decorate it in a way that you enjoy, regardless of what anyone else thinks. When you sell the house, the next owner will have their own ideas about what the house should look like. So long as you haven’t made any structural changes that would involve a contractor to remove, it won’t make a huge difference. The only thing we did before putting our last house on the market was paint all the rooms white (they had been various colors).
I wasn’t raised in a barn and I don’t want to live in one - those remodeling shows that take down every ^%#~ internal wall drive me crazy…

For some reason, in my FB feed I get posts from people who are thinking of remodeling and asking for others' opinions. I am shocked by the number of people who are considering ripping out their hardwood floors to put in vinyl flooring. I can't imagine.
We have our original 100 year old oak ribboned floor, we are planning a kitchen/dining room gutt and will be adding oak floors to match.

I wasn’t raised in a barn and I don’t want to live in one - those remodeling shows that take down every ^%#~ internal wall drive me crazy…
Our main living space is probably 45 feet by 35 feet, containing the foyer, kitchen, living room and dining room. It really doesn’t feel that big though. Off of that are a half bath, the laundry room (with access to the garage), and the primary bedroom/bathroom. There is a large family room on another level with the remaining bedrooms and bath. It was custom built for us this way and we love it. I can understand that not everyone would like our floor plan, and that there are probably many areas where this style of house would be less common, or even less desirable. But for our use, and in our climate, it works well.

I am the opposite. I get claustrophobic watching the house shows where every single room has a door that closes it off from the rest of the house.

kitchen cabinets to the ceiling that would entail a ladder to access them

'hidden fridge' (door is same material as cabinets), and for that matter-mini fridges/wine fridges in the dining room, in the living room, in the basement, on the patio ('oh my god there's a few feet of unassigned space-let's make it a bar'🍸🍷:drinking1). lately it's been 'coffee bars'-including ones in bathrooms:crazy:

gold handles and pulls on cabinets though now it's 'brushed' vs. the shiny that were all the rage in the late 90's

counter material up the walls as backsplash

the all in one shower with a free standing bathtub in the same enclosed (by a full glass wall) area-this would drive my claustrophobia crazy AND every time someone took a shower i would be driven to want to wipe down the tub

loud and bold 'statement' tile flooring in bathrooms-the patterns remind me of the '70's

built-ins at the entry point. a bench/hooks/niches for shoes...it seems the entry hall coat closet has been replaced with these (i like my entry hall closet)

either OVERsized or microsmall laundry rooms. do people realy need all that counter space or on the flip side-when laundry appliance trends change will you be able to fit larger or multiple machines in that microscopic niche your machines are 'hidden away' in now?

the crazy expensive folding glass doors (lovely indoor/outdoor flow when opened but how do people keep flying insects from invading their homes?)

I am shocked by the number of people who are considering ripping out their hardwood floors to put in vinyl flooring. I can't imagine.
this trend has happened before-in the late 1800's linoleum was considered so high end that many owners of stunning victorians covered the beautiful hardwoods throughout their homes with it. in the '60's and '70's carpet was all the rage and that's why on the home reno shows they are always crossing their fingers and pulling up a corner to see what lurks under the current flooring.

i grew up on hardwoods, first home had hardwoods-i don't like them. too hard to maintain, a nightmare if there's a water leak and unless they are very high end it may not be possible to refinish (and that's no cheap task).

those remodeling shows that take down every ^%#~ internal wall drive me crazy…

i like a somewhat open concept but i hate what i consider 'total open' that they show on the home reno shows. usualy it's an older house that could be a bit more open but they remove every freaking wall in the living spaces into one large room so it becomes kitchen/dining/living nook (nook b/c they seem to think everyone is fine with not having much seating area b/c they will all sit at the kitchen island). i don't want the first thing seen when walking into my house being the kitchen-it reminds me of living in an apartment with one large space for everything except the bathrooms and bedrooms around the perimeter.

This one is controversial lol
Stainless appliances.
We remodeled our kitchen in 2014 and the ONLY option for a Sharp drawer Microwave was stainless. All the catalogs said they offered black and almond too, and the box ours came in listed stainless, black and almond as options, but Sharp dropped almond and black and apparently sold out of remaining inventory in those colors quickly.

Agree with the comments about so-called luxury vinyl flooring. It looks awful even when it's new. I guess it became popular because it's cheaper than real wood or tile.
I sold my parents home in 2013 to flippers. It was "as built" in 1960 down to the pink tile in the bathrooms. Everything was dated but in new condition. The flippers took out anything wood. The hardwood floors were ripped out and replaced with laminate and Berber carpet. The custom wood cabinets were take out and painted (white) cabinets installed. The den/third bedroom had VERY expensive wood paneling, taken out.
Only thing NOT replaced, the 53 year old HVAC system. THAT I did not get. Took them 13 months to sell it after they finished the remodel. One of the neighbors looked up the cost of the renovations filed with the building department, what they paid for the house, the cost of taxes and insurance for the 16 months they owned it, and figures they lost $125,000 on that project.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter