• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

We're Following the Leader… to the Disney Institute! (A business/family trip to WDW)

Great updates! Will have to see if my library has that book by Lee Cockerell. Nice review of the new Disney Springs. I usually hate the traffic getting over there but from your pictures it looks like it's worth checking out.

Thanks! They have Lee's book at my library, so hopefully they'll have it at yours too.

Admittedly, we arrived at Disney Springs early, but it was super easy to park. Not a headache in the least. Those new parking garages are great!

Great update! That is so cool that you had coffee with Lee! I definitely want to read his book.

We are looking forward to visiting Disney Springs. It looks completely different than I thought it would.

Sorry to hear about the fridge not being cleaned out. Hopefully, things worked out when you went to the front desk.

Yeah, I'm still excited that I had to the opportunity to meet him. Such an awesome guy.

Yeah, Disney Springs does indeed look a lot different. I was actually a bit more impressed than I had imagined that I would be. It was somewhat hot out and I REALLY wanted to jump in and float around in that blue water! I think Pete Werner might have to change his catch phrase to, "Stay out of the damn springs" (Instead of the lakes.)

Nice update. Gosh I feel like by the time we ever get back to DW I will feel like a newbie all over again and won't recognize anything. The last time we went was in 10 and that was before the Fantasyland overhaul, before FP+ and Magic Bands etc. I really loved the way DTD was back then. We always managed to park over on the side by World of Disney but I am guessing that ground parking is no longer available? I tend to agree with you too that all those stores and the way it looks does not look Disney to me. It is def a nice outdoor "mall" but we have several of those around here. We have a nice one called Fountains and one called Palladio just in our town alone and I have been to the Grove in LA and it is similiar. To me when I am in Disney I want all Disney. I can go to a mall anytime or anywhere LOL. It is def pretty but I guess I will have to make up my mind when we go. I am glad to see the lego figurines and some of the others are still around. I hope the rest are as well like the one over by the Christmas store.

The Boardwalk looks nice. We have only ever stayed at Contemporary YEARS ago before the rehab and the Coronado. We have a timeshare and usually stay there. It is nice because we get two large rooms, a living room kitchen and most important washer and dryer. Love having that but also love staying onsite. It's def a toss up. We were going to do the timeshare this trip but I think from now on unless we are really tight on money we are going to try and go at a somewhat down time and stay onsite and either try for the room discount or free dinning.

We love the Boardwalk area but that is one I don't think I've ever been inside. We love Yacht and Beach Club and usually drive over there and go to Beaches and Cream and then take the launch over and walk around the Boardwalk. We love that area but the rooms are sadly out of our price range. Ironic because today we were supposed to be eating at Capts grill with a late ADR for Beaches and Cream to celebrate my birthday. Funny LOL.

Your meeting with Lee sounded incredible! So glad you were able to do that!

I think you might be right about feeling like a newbie all over again on your next visit. Things have changed a LOT since 2010 and if you don't get there soon, then you'll have the Avatar, Star Wars, and Toy Story expansion to check out as well!! :rotfl2:

Funny, we've stayed at lots of Disney resorts, but never the Contemporary or Coronado (though we've visited them both) I could see how you'd enjoy the timeshare. My parents used to rent a condo close to WDW for about 6 weeks every winter, and we went down and stayed with them a couple times. I certainly prefer to stay onsite, but it does get expensive. Being offsite does have it's advantages, especially like you said about food and laundry. :)

I'll share my overall thoughts later in the TR, but while the Boardwalk Inn was really nice, it's rack room rate is in line with the Poly and Grand Floridian. For the price, I'm not sure that Boardwalk Inn is a good value. I'd choose either of those resorts over the Boardwalk in a heartbeat.

I'm interested to see Disney Springs. Usually our first stop, after an early morning flight to MCO, is hanging out at Downtown Disney until our timeshare is ready. We skipped it last trip after it took us 30 minutes trying to find a parking spot (the garage was in mid construction), and ended up at Buffalo Wild Wings. We did make it over there later in the week, by going first thing in the morning.

We weren't there when it was busy, but based on the size of those parking garages, I suspect hat those driving around endlessly trying to find a parking spot days are over. I guess time will tell.

I really enjoyed your California report, so I'm happy I found this one! You are really powering through this quickly (trying to get it done before Hawaii?), but I'm all caught up and have a few thoughts:

Congrats to Stephanie on her five years!

The girls look so much like Stephanie as a child ... all beautiful, of course!

DH and I took our first trip to WDW when the castle was decorated as a cake. I now realize that a lot of people hated it, but it WAS the castle to me ... I thought it looked kind of boring when we went back later and it was just plain old blue. LOL.

I have two lefties and they always have to take a peek at that lefty store ... my oldest has a board for "left handed struggles" on her Pinterest. It's kind of funny (lots of things about writing and gym class). They grew up in the age ambidextrous kid scissors, so the scissor box struggle at school was not an issue ... LOL.

The leadership stuff looks pretty cool ... how neat that you got your book autographed without even asking!

I'm curious to see your Boardwalk resolution. Old food and a musty smell ... definitely not how you expect to start a Disney vacation.

Ha! You called it, I'm totally trying to get this finished before Hawaii!!! Might take a break over the weekend, but I'm indeed trying to power through it. :cool1:

Thanks for the contgrats towards Stephanie for 5 years.

Yeah, that's funny about the castle cake. Stephanie and I had both been to WDW a couple times before then, so it did seem strange at the time, but looking back, it was indeed pretty awesome (and less boring) I'm glad that we got to see it in person.

Yeah, stay tuned for the Boardwalk Inn resolution. They hooked us up in the end, so it turned out well, but it's interesting to see how the service related to the stuff they taught us in the class. They actually do practice what they preach. :goodvibes

I think you are right LOL. At this point I def want to wait till Avatar and possibly Star Wars and Toy Story lands are both done. It seems like every time we go they are building something new. We did get to see part of Harry Potter but haven't seen the new Daigon Alley part. There is just So much to see and everything is SO different.

As far as contemporary and Coronado. My ex was in the Army and we were actually trying to get into Shades of Green but they were rehabbing it in 02 when we went and so they put us at the contemporary. Only problem they put us in a Garden room at the VERY end of what seemed like a never ending hallway LOL. With little kids (mine were 1 and 2.5 at the time plus I had a 9 year old) it was a LOT. Plus it was upstairs and we had a big double stroller. I know we only had 2 beds and I am thinking my stepdaughter slept with my mom but I don't even remember where we put my 2 year old. I am thinking they maybe had a pullout couch and then we got a crib for my youngest. It was nice but I would certainly never pay the prices they charge. Bay Lake Towers looks nice but of all the timeshares I have seen there are others I like better.

Coronado was actually a nice middle of the road. We want to try Port Orleans but we enjoyed Coronado. Has a nice pool but it is huge and it was a LOT of walking to get to the food court.

The nice thing about the timeshare as I said is all the room to spread out and we always make our breakfast so that saves at least one expensive meal. It is def a toss up.

I agree though if the prices are similiar to Poly or Grand I would stay at the Poly first and then the grand. Yacht club looks nice as well.

I think you are right LOL. At this point I def want to wait till Avatar and possibly Star Wars and Toy Story lands are both done. It seems like every time we go they are building something new. We did get to see part of Harry Potter but haven't seen the new Daigon Alley part. There is just So much to see and everything is SO different.

As far as contemporary and Coronado. My ex was in the Army and we were actually trying to get into Shades of Green but they were rehabbing it in 02 when we went and so they put us at the contemporary. Only problem they put us in a Garden room at the VERY end of what seemed like a never ending hallway LOL. With little kids (mine were 1 and 2.5 at the time plus I had a 9 year old) it was a LOT. Plus it was upstairs and we had a big double stroller. I know we only had 2 beds and I am thinking my stepdaughter slept with my mom but I don't even remember where we put my 2 year old. I am thinking they maybe had a pullout couch and then we got a crib for my youngest. It was nice but I would certainly never pay the prices they charge. Bay Lake Towers looks nice but of all the timeshares I have seen there are others I like better.

Coronado was actually a nice middle of the road. We want to try Port Orleans but we enjoyed Coronado. Has a nice pool but it is huge and it was a LOT of walking to get to the food court.

The nice thing about the timeshare as I said is all the room to spread out and we always make our breakfast so that saves at least one expensive meal. It is def a toss up.

I agree though if the prices are similiar to Poly or Grand I would stay at the Poly first and then the grand. Yacht club looks nice as well.

I agree about there being so much to see!!! We've been to the original Harry Potter twice now, but haven't seen diagonal alley either (or the Simpsons)

We love Port Orleans. We've been to the French Quarter twice and Riverside once. Love that place!!!

Late to the party but here! Will catch up shortly.

Yahoo!!! Glad you are joining in :hippie:

:offtopic:

So a strange day today... I had hoped to make some progress on this TR and maybe work on some of our Hawaii planning, but... Stephanie and I have been thinking about a Disney Cruise for our 20th anniversary in 2017. The end of 2017 dates were released a little over a week ago. We sort of missed the boat (pun intended) on those release day deals, but figured we should be looking at options anyway. So we spent most of the day doing research. A lot of analysis paralysis, but we eventually pulled the trigger and locked it in this evening. Time to update my signature. :rotfl2:

So what did we ultimately choose? We went back and forth between 5 and 7 day iteneraries in the Carribean and a few California-based options. We've done two Bahamian Disney cruises before and like the idea of trying something different. Without going into all the details, we finally settled on a 4-day cruise on the Wonder from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico...and then we'll likely head up to LA for two full days in Disneyland before coming home. We felt like this gave us some flexibility as we could lock in the cruise now and then worry about the Disneyland details later. And the reason we locked today, was that this particular date had one of the four secret verandah rooms available, and we wanted to snag it before it was too late. (You essentially get a plexiglass verandah for the price of a navigators room. It's slightly obstructed, but totally worth saving a few hundred bucks when compared to a regular verandah.) We feel like we totally scored on this room, so we are pretty stoked right now. party:party:party:

So yeah, hoping to get back to regular TR programming tomorrow :hippie:

What an amazing opportunity to meet with Lee Cockerell! Glad to hear your visit with him went so well.

Disney Springs has turned into quite a place! Back in 1985, I stayed at the Hilton that is walking distance to that area. I don't even remember what it was called then. Downtown Disney? It was just a handful of shops and restaurants. The new area looks really nice.

I've never eaten at Cooke's. Your meals looked good and I wouldn't mind trying that deep fried burger!

I'm a lefty, too! The only one in my family. I have no problems with righty scissors either.

I've always wanted to stay in the Epcot area. It seems like Beach Club and Yacht Club get very good reviews, but Boardwalk gets some that are not so good. That's pretty crazy with it being a Deluxe. I'm curious to read how they deal with the issues you run into.

Congrats on the upcoming cruise! Way to score the verandah room!

Wow how exciting. Yay lots of fun more reports in store. I can live vicariously through yours LOL. I have never done any type of cruise. Partly it is my fault because I get sea sick and eventhough I have been assured by many people that I wouldn't on a cruise I have heard others say it is a possibility. Esp on the West coast ones. We had booked just a short carnival one to Ensenada and then cancelled because I was afraid I would be stuck and then couldn't get off. It prob would have been ok but it just wasn't worth it to me to ruin our entire vacay if I was sick.

My mom has done one of the RC one's to the bahamas and she loved it and those boats are SO much bigger so thinking I would do better on one of those. And esp since we live on the West coast we can go here whenever. My parents also own a house in Puerto Vallarta and their main timeshare is in Ixtapa so yea been there done that LOL. But I am sure you guys will have an AMAZING time. I am jealous about the wonder because I think that is the one I read that just got the tiana themed restaurant. My daughter loves to cook and wanted to be a chef for years and she LOVES Tiana. She was dying when I told her that.

I do really want to do a cruise some day and would love to do a Disney one but I would just be happy to do ANY cruise LOL. We have a lot on our bucket list though so who knows.

But so exciting. Can't wait for your next update for this as well as Aulani and now the cruise!! WOOT! :)

Joining in! Love your reports and can't wait to hear all about Disney Institute! Glad Stephanie is writing, I enjoyed her input from your last report.

Day 3 - Monday, May 23 - Part 4: Pizza, Pickle, and Perambulating

Hello, everyone! I'm Matt's wife, Stephanie. I'll be joining in for some posts, but I'm definitely on the shy side. :flower3: I usually just lurk.

First off, I'll tell you a bit about my name on the boards, DaeHyFoog. Like the Mirror of Erised in Harry Potter, it will make more sense if you read it backwards. When I was in high school a good friend of mine gave me the nickname "goofyhead." At about the same time, we started learning about the secret messages that people used to find on vinyl records when they played them backwards--like on the one Beatles album where it says, "Paul is dead." For some reason we thought all of these messages and the hullabaloo around them were funny and we played around with saying things backward and making backward messages. Anyway, since goofyhead backwards had a nice ring to it, it stuck. And since this was the only nickname I've ever had (besides Steph,) I used it since it is unique to me.

Well, Matt left off with him about to start the conference. Speaking of the conference, we were able to buy special conference rate tickets for the parks for the kids and me. If I remember correctly this was shortly after the ticket increase and tiered pricing took effect for regular tickets, but the conference rates had not yet been raised but were about to be. So, at the time, we were able to get a free waterpark day if we bought three day tickets. With the good price on these tickets to begin with, this seemed like a great opportunity. Matt had been to Typhoon Lagoon as a teenager (and River Country as a kid--lucky!!), but the rest of us had never been to one of the water parks before. So, we would be in the parks Tuesday through Friday, but we had no admission for this day.

I spent the first part of the afternoon unpacking while the kids mostly relaxed. After a while we all headed down to the pool to swim and play around. I didn't bring a camera since I was swimming, but I'll post some pictures of the pool area at night later on. We all had a lot of fun in this pool. Pickle is not a strong swimmer, but luckily she's not particularly self-conscious either. Also, she loves being in the water. We were easily able to find a life vest that fit her well, and with her trusty goggles she was able to do everything she wanted, including going down the clown slide. Confession time: I am one of those people who do not like scary clowns. The movie Poltergeist left me scarred as a child, and my kids like to point out scary clowns to me every time they see them. Pickle had fun teasing me about this slide. During the day the clown is not too bad, but at night....very creepy!:joker:

The older two got bored after an hour or so, but Pickle and I stayed longer. We finally got out around 4:45, and by the time we got cleaned up, everyone was hungry for dinner. Finding quick service meals at the Boardwalk that everyone would be happy with was one of my biggest concerns heading into this trip. We knew we would have at least two evenings to eat QS at the hotel. I had looked at prices at some of the restaurants, but even Beaches and Cream was beyond what we wanted to spend for these meals for this trip. So, with no admission to Epcot or HS, our choices were: 1)Boardwalk Bakery. People usually like this a lot, but we had been eating sandwiches for several days straight. No one wanted another sandwich. 2) The pizza from the pizza window. 3) Hamburger, hot dog, corn dog, etc. from the boardwalk stands. 4) Walk to Yacht or Beach club.

The kids and I decided that getting a pizza and bringing it up to the room was the way to go. Buddy came with me and we quickly found the pizza window.

The pizza box was very cute.

The pizza was alright. There were packets of parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes to dress it up. While not an exciting choice, this was a great value as we all shared a whole pepperoni pizza and drank cans of soda we had brought that were in our room.

After dinner, I wanted to explore the resort! The older kids quickly ran out of steam and headed back to the room, but Pickle and I made a date of walking the trail around the lake.

The Boardwalk is gorgeous. We quickly worked our way over to the beach at the Beach Club, where I sat and swang, while Pickle played in the sand. The weather was gorgeous and the sunset was getting close.

Soon we left and headed past Stormalong Bay. Pickle was definitely wishing she could play in the pirate ship, and I was happy to see that we could access Hurricane Hanna's pool food area from outside of Stormalong Bay. Pickle and I got some free cups of ice water, and I made note that this restaurant was a QS option for later in the trip. (We never did come back, though.)

We made it over the Dolphin and the Swan. Being so close to these hotels, we noticed for the first time that there are actual working water fountains on the tops of the buildings. Very cool.

At this point, we had made it back to the Boardwalk.

We stopped to watch some of the entertainment before we wandered into the shops.

I liked the resort specific merchandise, especially this shirt. I passed on it though, but did pick up pins for the kids as it is our tradition to get the pin of the resort we're staying at on each of our trips.

While checking out, I asked the cast members about seeing the fireworks from the Boardwalk. They recommended that I watch Illuminations from the bridge that leads to the Epcot entrance and that anywhere on the boardwalk would be good for the HS fireworks since they were right overhead. This turned out to be good and bad advice. But, first, I texted Princess and Buddy to see if they wanted to join us to watch the fireworks. Nope. Pickle and I would just have to have fun without them.

Day 3 - Monday, May 23 - Part 5: Fireworks x2

Pickle definitely wanted to see the fireworks, so we took the cast members' advice and walked to the bridge. This bridge spans the canal-like portion of the lake that the resort boats use, and in order to get to Epcot from the Boardwalk you have to cross this bridge if you're walking. When we got there at 8:50, there were several others standing and waiting to watch, but overall this spot was not very crowded at all. Pickle made some friends with other kids nearby while we waited the ten minutes. Seeing Illuminations here is nothing like seeing it inside Epcot--you cannot see the globe at all or hear all of the music or narration as well, however, you do get a great view of the fireworks and some of the lasers, and you completely avoid the large crowds all exiting at once. I would definitely watch from this location again if I was in the area.

(I was lazy and sat the whole time.)

The fireworks ended, and we had about a half hour to wait to see the HS fireworks. I texted Princess and Buddy to come and not miss out. They said they had watched Illuminations from our room balcony, and they still weren't interested in joining us. Oh, well!

To pass the time, Pickle and I explored the Wyland Gallery. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. Pickle loved it in here. I also realized that she knows far more about animals than I suspected. She could tell the different types of rays and whales being depicted in the art. I think watching lots of Wild Kratts paid off for her!

Right here is where we made our big mistake, but we didn't know it at the time. When we left the Wyland Galleries, we should have made two rights and walked through the far side of the swimming pool area. Instead, we thought the cast members at the shops had told us we'd be able to see the HS fireworks from anywhere on the boardwalk. Perhaps we misunderstood, because this was not the case. Upon leaving Wyland Galleries, we turned left and headed back to the boardwalk.

At 9:45 the HS fireworks began and with a loud bang we definitely heard them. But see them? No.

In my desire to try to see, I made my second mistake. I led us the long way around the boardwalk toward the Dolphin and Swan.

I knew the path we had taken earlier continued toward Hollywood Studios, and I hoped we could walk far enough along it to be able to see. We caught a few glimpses while near the Dolphin and Swan, but we had to keep going past the hotels to get a good view. Finally, right at the end, we got far enough along the path to see fairly well.

We hadn't explored this part of the resort yet, and since the path continued and there were still Boardwalk buildings on one side and the canal towards HS on the other, we continued down the path. Eventually we came to a gap in the building that led us back...to the pool. And, this would have been a much better viewing location for the fireworks. Had we known, we could have gotten here much easier when we left the Wyland Gallery. We had a ton of fun, however, so it wasn't a big deal. Although, this would be a handy tip to know if you're ever in the area on a night when there are HS fireworks. Go to the Boardwalk pool, exit at the back of the pool to the walking trail that leads to HS. Pick a comfortable spot to sit, and voila, you'll have a great spot to watch.

On the way back to the room, I snapped a few shots of the pool area. (I told you the clown was scary at night!)

That's it for the kids and me this day. Stay tuned, and Matt will be back to let us know how the rest of his day went.

Finally catching up!

WOW! What a fantastic trip and I'm so envious that you get to meet Lee Cockerell as well as attend a DI training course! How cool.
Loving the updates. I have to admit that I always enjoy your road trip portion more....is that bad?

Sounds like you had a great time with the kids, @DaeHyFoog. I'll have to remember that tip about where to view the DHS fireworks if I'm ever staying around the Boardwalk area.

I still think it is so great you reached out to lee Cockerell and had coffee with him - sounds just amazing! And I love those 7 principles tied to the 7 dwarfs ... even if not working at Disney I think you can apply a lot of them

I am very much the same as you as get really nervous about "networking" ... I am usually ok once a conversation starts but hate initiating conversation

Disney Springs really looks cool. It's been years since we've been to there as last year we did Disneyland and the year before we skipped it due to all the construction just making us not want to go out of our way to go there - so really looking forward to seeing it now. I do kind of agree with you about that new main area in that it seems like a lot of high end stores and not sure how many people will frequent it - but I think part of the makeover was to attract locals as well so maybe that helps with that :confused3

We have Sprinkles in NYC and to be honest, compared to other cupcake places we find them a bit dry - but I think it is a neat addition to Disney Springs. I really want to check out Amorette's Patisserie though - oh and Jock Lindsey's of course ;)

Your room looks really nice - We stayed at the Boardwalk once years ago and I was not crazy about the rooms and they really were in need of some TLC so it kinda turned me off to staying there again but the updates seem really nice - and agree about all the plugs and USB ports, etc.

And for a standard view room to see the Eiffel Tower and, like you said, probably have a pretty good view of Illuminations is pretty darn good!

Weird about all those little things that happened ... like you said, individually not a huge deal but after a while it can put a negative tint on your vacation so glad to hear you spoke to management and interesting to hear the response!

And congrats on booking the cruise! Oh, and I suppose congrats on nearing 20 years of marriage!!!!!

The Disney cruise is the one next thing for us - currently we are targeting going President's week of 2018 to celebrate by 40th birthday and also at that time my youngest will be old enough for the kids club. Figuring that was important for this to be a true "vacation" rather than a "trip" ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Stephanie - and for providing the background on your user name ... funny how nicknames like that can stick for so long! And for the record, looking at @MarbleBob backwards is BobelBram - which sounds kinda neat but doesn't really provide any further insights

Pizza definitely seems like a good call for a cost effective meal for a family - though good to know you can access Hurricane Hannah's without needing to be inside Stormalong Bay

Bummer the older kids didn't want to explore more but also sounds like some nice time to spend just with Pickle. Double Bummer about missing some of the DHS fireworks but glad you found a spot in the end

Sounds like a great deal you got with the tickets and really would have been pretty hard to pass up

And, yeah, I find that clown slide pretty darn terrifying!

Well done for locking in Cabo and getting one of those amazing rooms!

Thanks! We're still giddy about it :hippie:

What an amazing opportunity to meet with Lee Cockerell! Glad to hear your visit with him went so well.

Disney Springs has turned into quite a place! Back in 1985, I stayed at the Hilton that is walking distance to that area. I don't even remember what it was called then. Downtown Disney? It was just a handful of shops and restaurants. The new area looks really nice.

I've never eaten at Cooke's. Your meals looked good and I wouldn't mind trying that deep fried burger!

I'm a lefty, too! The only one in my family. I have no problems with righty scissors either.

I've always wanted to stay in the Epcot area. It seems like Beach Club and Yacht Club get very good reviews, but Boardwalk gets some that are not so good. That's pretty crazy with it being a Deluxe. I'm curious to read how they deal with the issues you run into.

Congrats on the upcoming cruise! Way to score the verandah room!

Wow, 1985 goes way back. My first visit to Downtown Disney was 1989. I think it was called Pleasure Island then. I remember quite a few shops, and being 14 or 15, all the nightlife stuff (like the appeal of the Adventurer's Club and stuff like that) went completely over my head. It sure has changed a lot over the years!

Yeah, we were pleasantly surprised with Cooke's. Would definitely try it again!

Thanks for the congrats on the cruise. Now we just have to wait a year and a few months. At least we have some great stuff to look forward too!

Wow how exciting. Yay lots of fun more reports in store. I can live vicariously through yours LOL. I have never done any type of cruise. Partly it is my fault because I get sea sick and eventhough I have been assured by many people that I wouldn't on a cruise I have heard others say it is a possibility. Esp on the West coast ones. We had booked just a short carnival one to Ensenada and then cancelled because I was afraid I would be stuck and then couldn't get off. It prob would have been ok but it just wasn't worth it to me to ruin our entire vacay if I was sick.

My mom has done one of the RC one's to the bahamas and she loved it and those boats are SO much bigger so thinking I would do better on one of those. And esp since we live on the West coast we can go here whenever. My parents also own a house in Puerto Vallarta and their main timeshare is in Ixtapa so yea been there done that LOL. But I am sure you guys will have an AMAZING time. I am jealous about the wonder because I think that is the one I read that just got the tiana themed restaurant. My daughter loves to cook and wanted to be a chef for years and she LOVES Tiana. She was dying when I told her that.

I do really want to do a cruise some day and would love to do a Disney one but I would just be happy to do ANY cruise LOL. We have a lot on our bucket list though so who knows.

But so exciting. Can't wait for your next update for this as well as Aulani and now the cruise!! WOOT! :)

I can see your concern about getting sea sick on a cruise. It's a big investment that you wouldn't want to risk not enjoying fully. We've been on two cruises before, and I never got sea sick in the least. And I was a bit concerned in advance too.

Joining in! Love your reports and can't wait to hear all about Disney Institute! Glad Stephanie is writing, I enjoyed her input from your last report.

Thanks a bunch! Stephanie doesn't write a lot, and she doesn't think that she's a good writer in general (at least from a creative/entertaining standpoint), but personally, I always love reading the stuff that she writes (whether it be on the DISboards or elsewhere) and I appreciate the effort she puts into it. Happy that she stepped up to the plate on the most recent installment to this TR
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Finally catching up!

WOW! What a fantastic trip and I'm so envious that you get to meet Lee Cockerell as well as attend a DI training course! How cool.
Loving the updates. I have to admit that I always enjoy your road trip portion more....is that bad?

Sounds like you had a great time with the kids, @DaeHyFoog. I'll have to remember that tip about where to view the DHS fireworks if I'm ever staying around the Boardwalk area.

Cool indeed. Meeting Lee was amazing.

Not bad at all about enjoying the road trip portion more! A lot of people write about their Disney experiences on the DIS, but I also agree that it's fun to see what people did before/after their trips too!

I still think it is so great you reached out to lee Cockerell and had coffee with him - sounds just amazing! And I love those 7 principles tied to the 7 dwarfs ... even if not working at Disney I think you can apply a lot of them

I am very much the same as you as get really nervous about "networking" ... I am usually ok once a conversation starts but hate initiating conversation

Disney Springs really looks cool. It's been years since we've been to there as last year we did Disneyland and the year before we skipped it due to all the construction just making us not want to go out of our way to go there - so really looking forward to seeing it now. I do kind of agree with you about that new main area in that it seems like a lot of high end stores and not sure how many people will frequent it - but I think part of the makeover was to attract locals as well so maybe that helps with that :confused3

We have Sprinkles in NYC and to be honest, compared to other cupcake places we find them a bit dry - but I think it is a neat addition to Disney Springs. I really want to check out Amorette's Patisserie though - oh and Jock Lindsey's of course ;)

Your room looks really nice - We stayed at the Boardwalk once years ago and I was not crazy about the rooms and they really were in need of some TLC so it kinda turned me off to staying there again but the updates seem really nice - and agree about all the plugs and USB ports, etc.

And for a standard view room to see the Eiffel Tower and, like you said, probably have a pretty good view of Illuminations is pretty darn good!

Weird about all those little things that happened ... like you said, individually not a huge deal but after a while it can put a negative tint on your vacation so glad to hear you spoke to management and interesting to hear the response!

And congrats on booking the cruise! Oh, and I suppose congrats on nearing 20 years of marriage!!!!!

The Disney cruise is the one next thing for us - currently we are targeting going President's week of 2018 to celebrate by 40th birthday and also at that time my youngest will be old enough for the kids club. Figuring that was important for this to be a true "vacation" rather than a "trip" ;)

Thanks Phil!

I agree about the 7 principles applying to stuff outside of Disney. In fact, Lee does too! On last week's episode of his Podcast, Lee actually spoke about using these bookmarks instead of business cards... and that most companies can adapt the principles to whatever they do. And he encourages people to do so. It was strange timing, to have received one a week before he spoke about them on the podcast!!!

Here's a link to the podcast from last tuesday:
http://blog.leecockerell.com/seven-guest-service-principles-podcast/

I'm with you about the networking. I'm fine once the ice is broken, but I have trouble initiating too, especially if groups have already formed and I need to push myself into one.

Interesting to hear your experience with Sprinkles in NYC. I didn't find mine to be dry at all. And the frosting was delicious! That being said, I wouldn't argue that they are the holy grail of cup cakes like some people do. We had some pretty spectacular Disney cupcakes on our last trip that were every bit as enjoyable.

Yeah, they must have renovated the Boardwalk Inn's rooms since your visit. No question that you'd revise your opinion if you ever came back. I think I said this before, but we liked the Boardwalk quite a bit. I'm just thinking that for the money, I'd be more inclined to stay at a hotel on the monorail circuit. Funny, we were chatting with Pickle this morning, and she said that he liked the Boardwalk Inn more than the Grand Floridian. She liked the pools better, she loved exploring the resort (and doing the boardwalk loop), seeing the entertainers, the boat ride to Epcot, etc. All very positive aspects of the resort!

Thanks for the congrats on the cruise and the pre-20th anniversary congrats too. We actually have 1.5 years until the anniversary (we'll be going on the cruise a couple months early.) We anticipate a long and happy marriage, but given Stephanie's cancer scare, we try not to take things like this for granted... and we'll take every chance we can get to celebrate!!!!party:

Stoked that a Disney cruise is the next thing for you guys!!! I remember reading about that in one of your last TR's, and I even hinted to Stephanie that we consider timing ours with yours. (You're cool with uninvited guests, right? :rotfl2:) But she'll probably be going back to school in early 2018 and it would conflict with classes, so we scheduled it for late 2017.

Anyway, I hear you about a vacation vs. a trip. (Pickle was very little on our first cruise and Stephanie didn't get to enjoy it as much as our second time when Pickle was closer to five years old.) The second time was certainly more relaxing!!!

I look forward to hearing about your cruise when you start the planning phase. Not sure when the 2018 dates would be released, but the final 2017 dates caught us off guard. (Only a few weeks after the mid-2017 dates were.) You probably know this, but you can save a few bucks if you book on the first day the cruise is announced... :banana:

Stephanie, great job!

The Boardwalk area is gorgeous. My DH and I had our wedding reception at Atlantic Dance Hall, so it holds a lot of special memories for us! Someday I'd like to stay there when our kids are a little older.

So cool that you got to meet Lee, Matt. I was able to hear him speak at a company event back in 2006 when I worked at Disney - it was an inspiring and unforgettable experience.

Go Cardinals! DH is a Mizzou grad and when we go back to visit we always try to squeeze in a game.

Nice to meet you Stephanie and thanks for the explanation of your screen name, very clever!! Sounds like you made the best of your non-park day. We always love to build in a DTD day and a day to visit the various resorts. We love the Yacht and Beach Club as well as the Boardwalk. We have eaten at Flying Fish which was amazing and Beaches and Cream also fun. I love the water features and the friendship boats and just walking around the Boardwalk.

Thanks for the update and excited to hear about your first park day!! :)

So cool that you got to meet Lee, Matt. I was able to hear him speak at a company event back in 2006 when I worked at Disney - it was an inspiring and unforgettable experience.

Go Cardinals! DH is a Mizzou grad and when we go back to visit we always try to squeeze in a game.

That company event in 2006 sounds pretty cool!

Stephanie and I are both Mizzou grads too. And yes, let's go Cards!

Day 3 - Monday, May 23 - Part 6: The Disney Institute!!!!

A big thanks to Stephanie for filling us in on her afternoon and evening went with the kids. Funny…. Some of what she shared was news to me too. Haha! :goodvibes

My last update left off with us getting settled into our room, and then me getting ready to head down to the Boardwalk Inn's Conference Center. Registration was from 2:00 PM to 2:30 PM. So I left the room at about 2pm (with a few butterflies in my stomach) to head down to the class….

A few notes before I get going about the Disney Institute. #1. They discouraged us from taking photos of course content and any backstage stuff. So, unfortunately my course-related updates won't have a lot of photos. #2. As I said before, I'm sort of shy in new groups of people, so I felt awkward taking too many photos of stuff that your average "student" wouldn't. (And your average student didn't really take any photos at all.) So I didn't get as many photos of the food and other random stuff.

So yeah, my family wished me luck and off I went. Our hotel room turned out to be sort of behind the Conference Center area, and I looked for a shortcut, but never found one. So the routine was to walk down to the main lobby, head out towards the WDW transportation busses, and instead of making a right to the bus stop, make a left to the conference center.

Long walk, but gosh, the weather was amazing all week long and it was always a pleasant walk to class. Beautiful landscaping too!

The conference facility was absolutely beautiful. I think I have some more/better photos from later in the trip, but I'll start off with this one for now.

Our "classroom" was down this hall, and then to the left. I walked up to the room, signed in, and there were about 8 or 10 tables scattered across the space. Each table had about six chairs. (There were 50 people registered.) I wasn't sure where to sit, but I had made a conscious effort to go up front. My instinct is to sit in the back where I'd go unnoticed. But this training was going to be epic… why sit all the way in the back where you have less of a chance of interacting with the facilitators? (I was assured by Lee that these particular facilitators would be top notch.) So yeah, I went all the way up front!

Each spot at the tables had a training manual, water bottle, backpack (not shown but it had a cool Disney Institute logo embroidered on it), a luggage tag for the backpack, and then various pens, sticky notes, highlighters, etc. Cool!

I was first to arrive at my table, but eventually the table filled up. I sat with three people who worked for an NFL football team, two people from a mega church, and a guy from a large investment firm. (They specifically encouraged us not to share much about the other companies unless we had their permission. You know, privacy and all.) At 2:30 PM, the facilitators came up front to break the ice and get the ball rolling.

The agenda for the rest of the day was:
Training class from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM.
Networking Reception (dinner) from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM.
Desert Party at Epcot Illuminations from 8:00 PM to 10 PM.

I'll start with a quick summary, and then touch on what we covered on this first day.

So yeah, the course was on Leadership Excellence. At the highest level, we covered:
Day 1 - why leadership (beyond just management) in an organization is important. Discussed the traits of good leaders, etc.
On Day 2, we covered how leaders intentionally inspire and establish values and vision in their organization.
On Day 3, we covered how leaders operationalize (implement and train) their values and vision.
And on Day 4, we covered how leaders sustain their vision (protect them from decay.)

The first day was learning about leadership in general. Traits of good leaders. How leaders purposefully establish values and vision for their organization. Etc. Time was balanced between Keynote presentations, breakout sessions, and general discussion. I originally had a lot more details here, but decided to cut it short. #1. Hoping not to bore you. #2. Hoping not to cross any lines with Disney by sharing too many details. Before I knew it, the first 4 hours were in the books. Wow, that was fast!

We had a short break, and then the networking reception started. This was in an indoor/outdoor area on the other side of the conference center. On one side of the room, they had a burger "slider" bar. A person was frying up small hamburger patties, and then they had slider buns and all the fixings. On the other side of the room, they had two stations. One was a mac and cheese bar, where they filled up a champagne glass with noodles/cheese and then you topped it yourself with stuff like, bacon, prosciutto, cheese, onions, bread crumbs, etc. The other side was a baked potato bar with essentially the same concept. And they served wine/beer too.

(This is one of those points in the TR where I wished that I had grabbed some photos.)

At first, I was sort of bummed (being shy and all) because all the inside tables were taken, and I didn't want to just grab a chair and slide it up to people already situated. Then I realized that nobody had gone outside yet. Which worked out great for me, because I grabbed a spot outside and then let the people come to me. LOL. And after I had a drink or two in me, I loosened up a bit anyway. I ended up chatting quite a bit with a large group, and especially with two really fun people. One worked with an insurance company in Wisconsin and the other was a lobbyist in DC for an automobile company. (Fascinating stories by the way!!!) Before we knew it, it was 8pm and time to head over to the bus for Epcot. pixiedust:

We ended up doing all of our transportation during the week in Disney Cruise Line buses. They are much more comfortable than the standard WDW buses. Nice!

It was interesting, because we were headed over to the area between England and France in the World Showcase, but the bus drove us back through behind test track. We actually drove underneath the track…. Just after a couple of the cars drove by. Pretty cool to see them from that perspective! And then we drove behind all the buildings starting from Mexico, past France, and then back behind England. It sort of felt like we were driving behind a grocery store or shopping center. You know lots of loading docks and stuff. Some areas were actually themed a little, but most were pretty industrial looking. We drove past a storage lot for all the Food & Wine Festival kiosks, that was pretty cool. Overall, the area wasn't really what I imagined. But it was fun to see!!!! I was trying not to be rude to the person sitting next to me, but I totally tuned them out as I was trying to soak everything in. :rotfl2:

Eventually, they dropped us off behind England and we came "on stage" over by the restrooms and the red phone booths.

We pretty much immediately started walking towards our reception area.

It started getting dark fairly quickly, so I didn't get many photos of the reception area, but we were right next to the bridge by England, by the waterfront. I must say, it felt pretty special getting the VIP treatment!

There were lots of desserts and beverages. Way more than necessary for the size of our group. But welcomed none the less!

Sorry for the blurry iPhone photos, it was hard getting good pictures in the low light.

A little while later, the fireworks started.

I've seen Illuminations many times through the years, and to be honest, it's not one of my favorites. But this time was quite fun, as I sat in front of one of the facilitators. (One has been with Disney for 42 years and the other for 33.) They are both Disney fans too, and Illuminations is one their favorites. One of the facilitators sort of acted as a narrator for us, explaining the story behind each of the three "movements". It made the experience much more fun than just sitting there watching!!! You could feel their passion when telling the story too. They were genuinely into it!

Oh, and interesting to see these photos and compare them to the perspective that Stephanie and Pickle had. How fun!

So yeah, a fantastic fireworks experience and a great ending to a pretty amazing day!!! Instead of taking the bus back to the resort, I decided to walk back with a couple of my new friends. It was fun sharing stories and experiences them.

When I got back to the room, Stephanie and Pickle were still watching the HS fireworks. So took a few minutes to get settled in. When then they arrived, we all shared our stories for a few minutes before heading to bed.

The plan for tomorrow was: Stephanie and the kids would have a full day at Epcot with extra magic hours from 9:00PM to 11:00PM. I would have training class from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM, and then we'd meet up in Epcot to finish the evening together. With that in mind, we all headed off to la la land. Goodnight moon!

Last edited:
Nice update, Stephanie! You got some great pictures of the boardwalk. I especially liked the ones at night.

I have three kids also, all grown now. It's nice when you can spend a little time with just one.

I dislike clowns in general. That pool at night would give me nightmares!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter