We're Following the Leader… to the Disney Institute! (A business/family trip to WDW)

Day 9 - Monday, May 30 - Home!

Finally our last day of the trip had arrived. Mostly an uneventful drive back home, but we did realize that they had a Disney Outlet store in Nashville. We've learned that many Disney Outlets (like the one in St. Louis) are pretty much like regular Disney stores and not worth going to, but a handful of them have big clearance areas with a fair amount of Parks merchandise. It was only 15 minutes out of the way, so why not take a chance and see what they had?!?!

I forget the name of the mall it was in, but it was VERY LARGE (next door to the Grand Ole Opry.) We had lunch in the food court first.

And then we headed over to the Disney Store...

This store turned out to be more in between. They had a bit of parks merchandise on sale, but nothing that was calling our name. We browsed around for a few minutes and left empty handed. (Probably for the best! :rotfl2:)

We hopped back on the road, and 4 or 5 hours later, we were almost home.

Hello St. Louis!!

Closing Thoughts

All in all, this was a fantastic trip! Very much a bonus for us, as we hadn't really planned on a WDW trip for 2016.

I've said it a few times... the Disney Institute course was amazing. And practical too. We are still implementing some of the things I learned at work, which I guess is the whole point. :goodvibes And I'm happy to report that it was indeed a good use of company resources.

I spoke to my boss last week, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to go back next year and attend the "Employee Engagement" class. This is something else that we are actively trying to improve upon, and based on this first class, I would have high expectations for it too! If there is any way that you could convince your management team to send you to the Disney Institute, I highly recommend it. PM me if you want more info.

Also, I can't begin to recommend using Lee Cockerell enough as a resource. His books are amazing, and his free weekly podcast is fantastic. I continue to learn lots from him! And, next time you are in Orlando, look him up. I bet he'd be willing to meet you for coffee at Starbucks too!

How about the Boardwalk Inn? Well, it was REALLY nice... but for similar prices, I'd say that that Grand Floridian or the Poly are a significantly better value. Don't try to stay at the Boardwalk Inn if you are on a budget, because you'll be disappointed with the food options. (Actually, it seems that Quick Service options in general at WDW have gone down hill in recent years. We had a lot of QS meals in Disneyland last summer and they were all head and shoulders better than WDW. Not sure why.) But, the boardwalk itself was really pleasant, and it was fun to be able to walk over to Epcot! And the thumbing inside the hotel was great. Lot's of nice details throughout!

So yeah, a great trip. A bit different than our usual Disney vacations, but that's a good thing!

What's next for us?

• My Trip Report for Hawaii and Aulani coming soon. So yeah, we visited Aulani in early July. We had an amazing two weeks in Hawaii. It truly was a trip of a lifetime. But I do want to share my experiences on the Aulani Trip Report board,
    because it wasn't as amazing as I had expected it to be. (It was still pretty amazing, just a few things that were disappointing when all things are considered.) Stay tuned for that one. I'll report back here when it gets going...

• Becky Cline (Director of Walt Disney Archives) will be coming to Marceline, MO in October to share a presentation based on her new book (releasing this September.) Since Marceline is only 3 hours away, there is no way we'll be missing this one!

• Stephanie and I celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary in 2017. We decided on a 4 night cruise from San Diego to Mexico on the Disney Wonder in October 2017, and then drive up to LA for a couple days afterwards in Disneyland. Really looking forward to this one. We've done two Disney cruises before, but never without the kids! (Kids not to worry, my parents are also treating us to a Royal Caribbean cruise next summer too!)

• I have a couple other things up my sleeve... We might spend a couple nights at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort before a business conference in Savanna this January. (We've never been there before and might take advantage of the cheap off season DVC point rental rates and knock this off the bucket list.) I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to attend another Disney Institute training course next spring. And we are having a business conference in Orlando... January 2018, which I'll be in charge of programming for. I'm also cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to work out an arrangement with Lee Cockerell to have him speak to our group!
I guess that's all for now. Thanks again to everyone for following along and sharing your thoughts and personal experiences. It's been a lot of fun! :disrocks:

I've fallen a bit behind as I'm also back in school now (teacher). Also, I really get into the Olympics, so DIS time was severely cut.

I must try that Pina Colava on my next trip. It sounds fabulous. You've also tempted me with their pina coladas. Maybe I'll get a guy who screws up the order, too!

All the parks are so gorgeous at night! I've heard that the fireworks are pretty amazing behind the castle.

That's great that you were able to spend the day with your friend Skip. We all talk about our dreams, but it's awesome that he's actually going to live his dream on his boat. I admire people like that who make things happen.

That's too bad the HoJo was a dump. We've had pretty good luck with Priceline on finding reasonable hotels.

It sounds like the Disney Institue was a great experience. Unfortunately, I don't think my employer will send me there anytime soon.

Lastly, could your parents please adopt me! Seriously though, it sounds like you've got some cool stuff coming up!

Great trip report! Thanks to both you and Stephanie for sharing! I look forward to reading your views on Aulani. Hope all the upcoming trips are fantastic for ya'll!

What a cute/fun story about the Disney bacon - sometimes it is the little things and just appreciating that your parents remembered and made the effort to go get it

Cool you got to hang out with Skip - looks like a fun day. And, wow, what a boat! So cool that he will be able to do something he's wanted to for a long time - definitely benefits at time of home schooling (including being able to go to Disney outside of regular school holidays ;) )

wow, scary with the HoJo - glad you are able to look back and laugh though

Awesome story about that worker at McDonalds - and great idea to send in feedback to them on him :thumbsup2

Great summary at the end! I'll probably be PMing you as Employee Engagement is a big topic here - I just got an invite to go over feedback from our most recent Employee Engagement Survey

Happy Early 20th Anniversary to you and Stephanie! That sounds like a great trip! So is the cruise a one-way down to Mexico? That is cool!

Thanks for a great TR! Looking forward to the Aulani one

I've fallen a bit behind as I'm also back in school now (teacher). Also, I really get into the Olympics, so DIS time was severely cut.

I must try that Pina Colava on my next trip. It sounds fabulous. You've also tempted me with their pina coladas. Maybe I'll get a guy who screws up the order, too!

All the parks are so gorgeous at night! I've heard that the fireworks are pretty amazing behind the castle.

That's great that you were able to spend the day with your friend Skip. We all talk about our dreams, but it's awesome that he's actually going to live his dream on his boat. I admire people like that who make things happen.

That's too bad the HoJo was a dump. We've had pretty good luck with Priceline on finding reasonable hotels.

It sounds like the Disney Institue was a great experience. Unfortunately, I don't think my employer will send me there anytime soon.

Lastly, could your parents please adopt me! Seriously though, it sounds like you've got some cool stuff coming up!

I hear you on the having your DIS time being cut, I haven't been able to spend as much time as I would have liked lately either.

Yes, please do try both the Pina Colava and the Pina Colada. But if I could only choose one, I'd choose the colada. Yum!!!

That's funny about having our parents adopt you. Stephanie and I are both blessed with great sets of parents, and interestingly enough, that's not the first time I've been asked that. Hahaha!

Great trip report! Thanks to both you and Stephanie for sharing! I look forward to reading your views on Aulani. Hope all the upcoming trips are fantastic for ya'll!

Thanks!!! It was fun sharing the report and glad that you enjoyed reading it!!!

What a cute/fun story about the Disney bacon - sometimes it is the little things and just appreciating that your parents remembered and made the effort to go get it

Cool you got to hang out with Skip - looks like a fun day. And, wow, what a boat! So cool that he will be able to do something he's wanted to for a long time - definitely benefits at time of home schooling (including being able to go to Disney outside of regular school holidays ;) )

wow, scary with the HoJo - glad you are able to look back and laugh though

Awesome story about that worker at McDonalds - and great idea to send in feedback to them on him :thumbsup2

Great summary at the end! I'll probably be PMing you as Employee Engagement is a big topic here - I just got an invite to go over feedback from our most recent Employee Engagement Survey

Happy Early 20th Anniversary to you and Stephanie! That sounds like a great trip! So is the cruise a one-way down to Mexico? That is cool!

Thanks for a great TR! Looking forward to the Aulani one

Disney vacations and home schooling are a great combo!!! We homeschooled Princess through the 6th grade and Buddy through the 5th grade. Up to that point, we had always visited Disney in the off season. I miss being able to do that!

Feel free to hit me up about the Employee Engagement topic. In some ways, that's how this particular trip came to be. I was asked to head up an employee relations type of committee a couple years ago. With an emphasis on increasing employee morale and retainment. I'm a HUGE fan of King Arthur Flour and how they do business. I looked on their employment section of their website to learn more about the benefits that they offer, and noticed that they are repeatedly ranked high in "The Best Places to Work in Vermont". I thought, wow, what does it take to get on that list? After a little digging, it turns out that it's the result of repeatedly having high results in their employee satisfaction survey (as administered by Best Companies Group.) To get ranked, you have to have at least 80% favorable responses on average to the survey questions.

Anyway, I suggest we do the same satisfaction survey... so we did. As a result, we have a bunch of areas that we are focusing on. Some of it it is directly related to communication and leadership... and that's how I was able to justify the Disney Institute training course.

I think the Employee Engagement course will help give us insights and ideas to help us move forward even further.

But like I said, the leadership course did have a lot of relevant information about values and vision, and being intentional about the culture in your organization. I purposefully left out a lot of details in this TR, because they encouraged us not to share too many details on social media. But I'd be happy to share more details with you sometime (Facetime, PM, or whatever) if you want :-)

Thanks for the early 20th congrats. So grateful to have such an awesome wife!! The cruise is actually a round trip with just one stop in Cabo San Lucas. They have a 5 day cruise out of San Diego that's almost the same, but it adds a stop at Ensada. However, people don't rate that port too highly and we figured that we'd rather do a shorter cruise with a couple days at Disneyland. (We also considered even longer cruises in the Bahamas and Western Caribbean. But after a lot of thinking about it, we decided that this would be a nice option. We've done two Bahamian cruises on DCL, and we'll do another with my parents on Royal Caribbean next year, so going to the Pacific will be totally new and different for us. And I'm pumped!)

The first thing I asked for was for a employee satisfaction survey. How can you improve morale, if you don't know the pulse of the company?

I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report. So interesting to hear about your seminar, definitely gave a new angle as opposed to the average trip report. Looking forward to hearing about Aulani!

Dang I don't know how I missed these updates. This site drives me nuts sometimes when it doesn't notate updates. I have been checking back every few days but I didn't think you had updated because it didn't say so. I guess I need to come to the actual report LOL.

Sounds like all in all it was a great trip and LOVED the talking Mickey. Being that we are going at such a busy time I doubt we will be able to see him but if there is a chance at all I will def try cuz that was seriously cool!

The one characters I am going to make sure and get is Baymax at Epcot and I hope he is still there when we go. I love him so much and want to see him so bad I am going to use a fast pass for it.

We got to see Chewie and Kylo Ren at DL this past August and that was cool. Our trip was super quick but we did some new things. We flew Jet Blue which we have never done and flew into Long Beach vs John Wayne. It's very small but we LOVED Jet Blue and LOVED the LGB airport. We are going to consider this from now on when taking a trip as it can be cheaper and so much easier.

The trip itself was very quick and it was super crowded AND hot. We usually never go at that time of year and I am glad we went but prob won't ever do that again.

I am SO stoked about our upcoming DW trip yet so nervous as it has been so long and I feel so out of the loop with FP+ etc. I just wish for our first time it wasn't going to be such a busy time but it is what it is and I am at least super excited to see all the xmas stuff.

Are you going to put a link on this one or send one out for your Aulani trip or have you started it? I am anxious to read about that one as well!

I just love all your pics and how detailed your reports are so looking forward to the next one and sounds like you have lots of fun stuff coming up.

For us we have DW in Dec and then going back for another short trip to DL end of April to celebrate my youngest's 16th birthday (her choice). Then we still don't know what we are doing next summer but if Europe doesn't work out the plan is the East Coast so no disney but then hopefully in Feb of 18 I will be doing a ladies trip to DL. So not a lot but a few trips upcoming.

Anywho loved the report and anxious to see the next one!!!

Hi everyone!!! I've been AWOL from the Disboards for the last six months or so. It was a crazy fall/winter at work and my creative energy has been pretty low until recently. Things have calmed down a bit and I figured that I better finish that Aulani trip report. So if anyone is still interested, I just started it tonight....

http://www.disboards.com/threads/trip-report-16-days-in-hawaii-maui-oahu-and-aulani.3578030/

Well, I guess that should read, "I just posted it tonight." Because I've been working off and on for a few months. LOL. We spent two weeks in Hawaii and I pre-write the first week in Maui. Thinking that the people on the Disboards who are interested in Aulani might be more interested in our Oahu stuff than Maui stuff. This gives them the option to skip through the Maui stuff and start reading right away with Oahu. If that makes any sense, I have no idea. I've been working on on this stuff for the last four hours and I'm brain fried. :crazy:

Anyway, if you are interested, feel free to follow along over in the Aulani board via the link above :hippie:

Hello Matt! You're back! It's great to hear from you again. I had been wondering how your Hawaii trip went and was hoping that everything was good with you and your family over the last few months. I'll be heading over to your new TR!

Hi Matt! Of course I'd love to read about your Hawaii adventures. I know what you mean about real life getting in the way of Disboards. I can't even get caught up on real life at the moment!

I am about a year late but I read your trip report after searching for information on the Disney Insitute and I ended up even loving the reports on your family's experiences. Thank you so much for sharing! I learned a lot both professionally for when I consider the investment of DI and personally for our trip in 2 weeks!

Hi Matt! Of course I'd love to read about your Hawaii adventures. I know what you mean about real life getting in the way of Disboards. I can't even get caught up on real life at the moment!

Hello! that's funny, I'm struggling to stay caught up with real life right now too :rotfl2:

I am about a year late but I read your trip report after searching for information on the Disney Insitute and I ended up even loving the reports on your family's experiences. Thank you so much for sharing! I learned a lot both professionally for when I consider the investment of DI and personally for our trip in 2 weeks!

How cool! I hope you had a great trip! Interestingly, I'll be attending the "Employee Engagement" training at Disney Institute in May. I'll probably write a trip report for that one too :hippie:

Yay! I don't know how I missed it before, but I just read through your awesome report and am excited to start on the Hawaii report next! Thanks so much for sharing--I read your California report and really enjoyed that one as well! Glad you had such a great experience at the Disney Institute, it was really interesting to read about your time there and to hear that you are incorporating your knowledge into your day to day work life.

Yay! I don't know how I missed it before, but I just read through your awesome report and am excited to start on the Hawaii report next! Thanks so much for sharing--I read your California report and really enjoyed that one as well! Glad you had such a great experience at the Disney Institute, it was really interesting to read about your time there and to hear that you are incorporating your knowledge into your day to day work life.

Awesome!!! Thanks for reading along. I"m glad that you enjoyed the TR's :hippie:

Thread necromancy...I've got a Disney Institute course coming up in August (though at the Contemporary, not Boardwalk) and the internet has basically no info on it - reading your TR was really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Thread necromancy...I've got a Disney Institute course coming up in August (though at the Contemporary, not Boardwalk) and the internet has basically no info on it - reading your TR was really interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Wow, this is a blast from the past! A distant memory at this point. I don't think I did a TR for it, but I attended a second course (Employee Engagement) at the Grand Floridian a year or two later. They were both excellent, but I really think the Leadership Excellence one was better. I hope your course in August is as great as mine were!

Wow, this is a blast from the past! A distant memory at this point. I don't think I did a TR for it, but I attended a second course (Employee Engagement) at the Grand Floridian a year or two later. They were both excellent, but I really think the Leadership Excellence one was better. I hope your course in August is as great as mine were!
Matt, I adored this trip report. Thank you so much for the time you spent creating it. And also for capturing your love for your family with your words. Make sure your kids have the link or a hard copy - it is an incredible memento.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter