This is my training journal. I'm bad at titles. (Comments welcome!)

I think I have been in DC for 9 or 10 Fourths of July now, and I have never gone to the Mall for the fireworks 😅 Glad you enjoyed it!
We live within walking distance, so I wandered up there around 8 PM. It was totally fine! I've heard people compare it to NYE Times Square and it was nowhere near that. I'm not sure if I'd do it having to rely on Metro, though.

Also, apparently it's a season of shows for us. On Thursday we caught To Kill a Mockingbird at the Kennedy Center. Great show, weirdly misplaced humor at times. Friday was Thor: Love and Thunder... eh. And this coming week, we'll see The Band's Visit at the Kennedy Center and Six! at the National Theatre. Coming up in a few weeks is a weekend trip to NYC for Music Man, Come From Away, and Into the Woods on Broadway, followed by Hamilton at the Kennedy Center. And maybe Blue Man Group at the Kennedy Center later this month... I do love live theater! Catching up on lost time after the last two years, I guess.
So excited for you! Band's Visit, Six!, and Come From Away are all such great shows. And this production of Into the Woods (managed to catch it in the spring before they moved to Broadway) is so well done.

So excited for you! Band's Visit, Six!, and Come From Away are all such great shows. And this production of Into the Woods (managed to catch it in the spring before they moved to Broadway) is so well done.

Even after all that there's still so much more I want to see! It feels like there's a huge variety of theatre right now that there typically isn't. Alas, we'll miss Company, Paradise Square, and Beanie Feldstein in Funny Girl, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Last edited:
More exclusively easy running this week as I build mileage to the marathon plan itself, but more distance added too. Everything was EA (10:22) or EB (9:41).

Monday: 5 miles @ EA, T+D: 73+61 = 134
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 5 miles @ EA, T+D: 76+68 = 144
Thursday: 6 miles @ EB + Strides, T+D: 77+61 = 138
Friday: rest
Saturday: 6 miles @ EA, T+D: 76+70 = 146
Sunday: 8 miles @ EB, T+D: 75+69 = 144 (actually ran 6.9 miles)

My Garmin's GPS was kind of a mess on Monday, so although it recorded me running a weird distance, I simply ran an out-and-back to about where I know 2.5 miles is. The remainder of my weekly running was unremarkable.

...with the exception of today (Sunday). I got out of bed and headed out this morning for 8 miles, but by the end I was feeling heavily fatigued and my HR was rising. I am thinking it was at least partially heat related (the T+D when I headed out at 6:30 AM was already 143). Also, I always get up and have coffee before I go out for a run. I didn't do that today because of the distance and heat, but I am guessing not being as awake as I usually am probably contributed to my not feeling as great on this workout. Ironically, when I was walking back home, the skies became overcast and a breeze was blowing, so I likely would have been better off keeping my typical routine.

I'm also noticing my Garmin doesn't quite get the pace right for the first few minutes of my run. I always wait for the GPS lock before I start and today was no different. However, I'm still trying to get acclimated to these new paces, so I'm relying on pace alerts more than usual. For my EA pace, this isn't a big deal because I'm already familiar with how that feels - it's relatively close to my old EB pace. But my current EB pace is still taking some getting used to. I noticed today I was running way too fast before my Garmin actually gave me the correct pace, and consequently my HR started way too high as well. Take that, plus the heat, plus a change in routine, and it's not as surprising I couldn't finish my run. I need to change my mindset when I go out, as it's better to be too slow than too fast at the beginning, and the right "feel" for these paces will come.

In non-running news, as previously mentioned we saw The Band's Visit (loved it!) and Six this week. I've really missed the theatre, and it's been so nice to experience it again. Six will be around for a while and touring far and wide. It's quite fun and well worth the night out. Also, at work, management has been dropping hints that our current 1-day-per-week in the office isn't going to last, so enjoy it for now. That's a real bummer. I've always been such a better worker from home even prior to the pandemic, and I really don't see a need to go back to an office again - ever. This past Tuesday I was literally the only person in the office. It really hammered home the "I'm here because someone said so" aspect of all this. It's a shame that people so stuck in their ways cannot see the value of giving employees a variety of options, and the one-size-fits-all approach has never and will never work. I hope in my lifetime we move past headcount-based work output, as it's easily the laziest form of management. For now, I'm job hunting again. My time is worth more to me than money at this point in my life. Someone else can go in the office. And I'm not the only one - we have 4 vacancies we can't fill, and someone else on my team just announced they're leaving. But my manager has been clear on this - if we don't like it, he'd "be happy to give [us] a reference on the way out." At least I know where he stands!

But whyyyyyy? Seriously, though, there's no point in going to the office if no one else is there, people in charge...

Because... because. Because. That's why!

I've reached the point in my career where I'm confident enough in my abilities and job performance that I have no issue speaking out about stupid stuff like this, and my management is very aware I'm the vocal one, so they'll probably be glad to be rid of me, honestly. The basic explanation we've received is "because that's the policy." This all began when Mayor Bowser said it was time for people to return to the office because downtown small businesses are struggling. I have a huge problem with that because 1) it's not my responsibility to prop up downtown businesses, and 2) it completely ignores the small businesses around my home that have flourished as a result of everyone in this neighborhood working from home. Why are they less important?

Years ago, well before the pandemic, when I worked in a different office, I used to advocate for 4-day-a-week telework. I suggested we all come in on the same day. We could make it a potluck if we wanted. We'll knock out all our meetings on that one day, then go home the rest of the week and get actual work done. I continue to remind my old boss I was ahead of my time on this! She's thrilled about it.

Hopefully your management will change its tune. Mine strongly encourages going into the office but thankfully doesn't force it. There are other groups at my company that do mandate it and I just don't understand. As you said, it's very lazy and old fashioned.

Hopefully your management will change its tune. Mine strongly encourages going into the office but thankfully doesn't force it. There are other groups at my company that do mandate it and I just don't understand. As you said, it's very lazy and old fashioned.

I hope so too! I don't think they will, but one can hope.

I can't find the article now, but I recently read something very interesting - if there's someone complaining about returning to the office, chances are high they're a millennial. (Note: This isn't an attack on any generation, as for reference I myself am a millennial.) Most management is of a later generation that still believes in attendance-based performance. However, there are a lot of non-management baby boomers and gen X-ers that also got used to no long commute from the suburbs and also don't want to return; many of these are in the position of being able to or close to retirement if push comes to shove.

Interestingly, one of the biggest groups pushing for return-to-office is gen Z. They base much more of their social life on work, as they see work as a place to make friends, mingle, and date. I have always been horrified by the prospect of dating a co-worker, even when I was much younger, so I'd be curious where that particular generational divide began.

More to come on this!

In running news, the T+D of my run this morning was an absolutely stifling 150, with a dew point of 72. We've reached the point of summer where outside is unfit for human life.

Interestingly, one of the biggest groups pushing for return-to-office is gen Z. They base much more of their social life on work, as they see work as a place to make friends, mingle, and date. I have always been horrified by the prospect of dating a co-worker, even when I was much younger, so I'd be curious where that particular generational divide began.
That is interesting! I have a younger coworker who recently joined the team because he wanted to physically go to work and interact. I would guess that he's gen z, or at least very close to it. I'm also a millennial (and met my partner at work) and I like the idea of having local coworkers but not so much that I want to see them for 40 hours each week 🤪.

That's me! I met my husband at work 16 years ago, and we've been married almost 11 years. And we still work for the same company. But what works for us might not work for others.

I'm also the manager encouraging employees to come back to the office, not because I think they'll perform better, but because I believe it's important to develop the more informal work relationships. Being on Teams 100% of the time is not the same as seeing each other in person. But yeah, we plan when we'll be in the office so more of us are at work. I won't go into the office to telework, it makes no sense.

Want to jump in on the return to office topic because it is fun. My office is looking for us to return 2 days a week but is not forcing and is being flexible. Meaning one week i can come in Tues and Wed and the next Wed and Thurs. They are also not pushing the time people come in. I can come in at 10 am and be in the office until 3 and that seems to count. I also live walking distance to work. Yet I have no desire to return to the office. I am going in on Wed for now. Mostly because I have the new dog so I am trying to be home a lot but also leave some so she does not get separation anxiety. DH goes to the office on Thurs

My team is the same though they don't want to come into the office and can't get past the reason to come in is because we want to see your face. I am 8 years from retirement. I told them I do not care if they come in or not but people above me may notice. With 8 years, I don't care.

That being said my team and myself will be in next week probably 4 days because we actually have something we need to do together, in that case it makes complete sense, but just coming on Wed to see my face sucks.

That is interesting! I have a younger coworker who recently joined the team because he wanted to physically go to work and interact. I would guess that he's gen z, or at least very close to it. I'm also a millennial (and met my partner at work) and I like the idea of having local coworkers but not so much that I want to see them for 40 hours each week 🤪.
That's me! I met my husband at work 16 years ago, and we've been married almost 11 years.

Oh yes, to be clear I understand that it can and does work and work well for many people. It was simply something that never appealed to me, which also was and continues to be a prevailing thought among my co-workers as well. The impression I got from the article I read is the younger generation sees the workplace as a primary place to expand their social and dating networks, whereas I always considered any lasting friendships that came out of work to be a bonus. And I promise I'm not one of those guys sitting at home in the dark complaining that no one wants to play; I just met all my friends through means other than work and I choose to spend my free time with them rather than co-workers.

I'm also the manager encouraging employees to come back to the office, not because I think they'll perform better, but because I believe it's important to develop the more informal work relationships. Being on Teams 100% of the time is not the same as seeing each other in person. But yeah, we plan when we'll be in the office so more of us are at work. I won't go into the office to telework, it makes no sense.

"Improving collaboration" has been cited as a key reason why we need to return to the office. As predicted, that has gone exactly like it did pre-pandemic, where people spend various amounts of time talking to others about their weekends, their kids' weekends, their kids' partners' weekends, gossip about who's dating who, the latest sports news, the weather, the traffic, politics, religion, the traffic (they really hate the traffic!). And while I can see the rationale that office chatter does improve interpersonal relationships, my question has always been - are we there to make friends or are we there to work? I view work as a place to work. They don't call it going to "fun." I have a job to do, and I receive money for doing that job. By your own admission and by my own observations, I don't perform any better by talking to people about everything other than work. I actually perform worse. Ever since we started going back in the office in April, I've had to compress 5 busy days of work into 4 because my in-office day has become a wasted day. I'm more tired because I have to get up way earlier. I'm annoyed because I have to commute and of course I just missed a train. It's summer in DC so I'm a mess by the time I get to the office. My back hurts because I have to haul all my equipment to and from home. Then do all that in reverse at the end of the workday.

So I guess that's my burning question - is the workplace supposed to be social hour or a place of business? If it's not making staff perform better - and in some cases perform worse - then what's the point?

And hey, I totally get you're the manager and these are hard questions. I get to sit here from my worker bee position and complain about it. My goal is to work my way to management within the next 5 years and be the change I want to see in the world. I'm a believer in work-life balance. I'm a believer that one size does not fit all. It never has, and the pandemic gave us proof of that. And I think people should be given the freedom and controls to perform to the best of their abilities - because after all, that's the point of work.

Last edited:
Super interesting to hear another point of view, I never saw it that way. Not everyone is as dedicated to their work. We can discuss over a beer at HH at our next common meet-up ;)

I don't see it as a loss in productivity, but a long-term gain if the people I work with are happier at their job and stay longer with the company. Win-win for me as a manager and for them as employees. My company doesn't force anyone to come to the office if they don't want to. No one can pretend that working from home doesn't function when we've been doing it for two years.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread btw)

Hope the heat isn't too brutal in DC the rest of the week...

I am sooo jealous you’re going to see Into the Woods.

I had my dream Broadway trip planned for May 2020. You can guess how that turned out. I wish I could reschedule it and see Into the Woods and Little Shop, among others.

And only because this horse hasn't been beaten to death yet, for the second week in a row I'm in the office all alone. It was vitality important to get us back here to "improve collaboration" and "stop having so many virtual meetings," but not important enough to actually, you know, coordinate scheduling. This continues to be an excellent use of both my time and mental health capacity.

I wish I could reschedule it and see Into the Woods and Little Shop, among others.

ITW has already gotten an extension! I would guess the current cast won't continue, but then again this cast is different from 2020 as well. I want to see Little Shop too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter