The official Team Not-So-Fast thread

I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one who has experienced these feelings and DNS or didn't even register. I do this with any running race or obstacle course race I want to participate in (Spartan, Savage, etc.) I will even do an anxious evaluation of local gym classes. 😟
You are definitely not alone!

Days like this, I wish the DISboards had a "care" reaction button (choices are limited... 🤣)

I registered for a local 10k recently that was to benefit a cause I really care about. But when I realized how small it was, with so few running the 10k, I DNS because I was so afraid to be last. That’s the first time I’ve done that - and it made me so sad, but the thought of racing was really stressing me out.

I feel this! I moved last summer to an area brand new to me, and I don't know anything about any of the races here. I always look at the size of the field and last year's results to see how many people would potentially finish with or after me. So far I haven't signed up for a single race.

As a card-carrying member of Team Not-So-Fast, I almost always email the race director before I enter a race to find out what the pace requirements are or how "walker friendly" a race is (this question helps for race directors who think 11-12 minute miles are "slow"). What I didn't know was that it isn't uncommon - particularly on the small races - for races to allow an "early start." Basically, they start you ahead of everyone else! The person who introduced me to this - and who thankfully holds a lot of races in my area - told me to just find him when I get there. He manually inputs my start in the computer and off I go. I'd never heard of such a thing, but when I mentioned it to my running coach, he was like "yeah, a lot of races do that." What??? So now, if I'm entering a smaller race - and particularly if I'm using it as catered training run - I ask if this is an option.

I did my first Spartan the week after Springtime and it was all uphill on a ski mountain. Was very, very close to saying screw it and leaving the course. I ended up trudging forward but being the slowest on course and during the obstacles wasn't a good time. Miles were highly unmagical lol.
I am super impressed you finished that!

I almost always email the race director before I enter a race to find out what the pace requirements are or how "walker friendly" a race is (this question helps for race directors who think 11-12 minute miles are "slow").
This is a great idea! You get the info direct from the source AND the chance to possibly educate them on an audience they may be missing. I had no idea that "a lot" of races would allow an early start. I'm honestly not sure if I'd have the guts to actually do that, but it's really good to know.

Can confirm that having the race workers dismantling the course/barriers as you run past them because you're DFL is jarring and a bit discouraging (although I know some have experienced the course having been already dismantled before they got to it. UGH!) Or hearing someone say, "Oh my gosh! There's still someone running!" as you enter the last 0.1mi of a marathon. Makes you question some of your choices and beat yourself up a bit for not being faster.

BUT. I also think it's important that us Not-So-Fast'ers also are out there showing the world that running, especially distance running, isn't some unattainable, mysterious, thing that is only for people who are a certain age, or look a certain way. Also why I always wear a sparkle skirt or similar to races now.....it's gotta be at least a little fun, right?

Can confirm that having the race workers dismantling the course/barriers as you run past them because you're DFL is jarring and a bit discouraging (although I know some have experienced the course having been already dismantled before they got to it. UGH!) Or hearing someone say, "Oh my gosh! There's still someone running!" as you enter the last 0.1mi of a marathon. Makes you question some of your choices and beat yourself up a bit for not being faster.

BUT. I also think it's important that us Not-So-Fast'ers also are out there showing the world that running, especially distance running, isn't some unattainable, mysterious, thing that is only for people who are a certain age, or look a certain way. Also why I always wear a sparkle skirt or similar to races now.....it's gotta be at least a little fun, right?
I heard that was happening during Boston with the back of the packers. The runner Rise and Run was interviewing said the volunteers at water stops were pouring the water onto the ground as she ran by. Geez Louise! If runners are still on the course the water should still be available.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd have the guts to actually do that, but it's really good to know.

I'll admit that I felt slightly awkward the first time I did it, but the race director could not have been nicer. Now that I've done it a couple of times, it's a lot more comfortable. If someone has a problem with it, it is their problem, IMHO. I'm not winning any age group awards.

I had two negative race experiences in a row last fall and the second one was exactly what you described (they pulled the directional signs before I finished and then they were startled when I got to the finish line). Thankfully, the second instance was just a long training run for me. But two good things that came out these - 1) I got practice in telling the gremlins in my head to go sit down, my worth does not have anything to do with a number on a finishers clock, and in the end, my skin got a little bit thicker and 2) my normally unflappable coach was outraged that this happened and that confirmed that what happened wasn't right. There was no need to beat myself up and every reason to speak up and make sure that it doesn't happen to another runner. The only way that these things will stop happening is if people start saying "hey, this is wrong!"

I'm loving the rise of not-so-fast folks in running. Despite whatever anxiety tries to tell us, we get the same exact medals as fast folks, and we did the same exact mileage (sometimes more depending on on-course fun)!

I really hope early closures and breakdowns become rarer as we continue to run. Totally understand logistical things, but early starts seem like great solutions too!

I just did a ten-miler where I finished 122/125. They had walking tacos as their post-race food. There was still so much food and I never felt like I was an afterthought. The other year I did it they had pancakes - the pancakes were freshly made and hadn't just been sitting there, waiting. And it was the same for the 4 or 5 people that came after me. That's the way it should be everywhere.

I just started running, and I am definitely on Team Not-So-Fast! I’m hoping to get into one of the Princess runs next year. In the mean time, I got this shirt for my next local 5K 😭View attachment 857824
I have a similar tank, except it's white with just baymax's eyes (and says "I am not fast") and the placement is......yeah. I didn't think it through when I bought it. :rolleyes1 :scared:

I've been third-to-last in several races, but not been made to feel bad about it. In my first 50k when I was third-to-last (but didn't know it), the aid station folks were still there and in fact toward the end they were radioing in my position (and presumably also the runners after me) because the race director wanted to make sure to know where all the runners were - but that was a trail race - see below.

After reading some of these comments, I'd suggest some of you consider trying trail running/racing. Trail runners are much, much more mellow about the idea of running "fast" and what pace people are running (even though some of them are in fact really fast). It's so much more about doing your best and getting out there.

Because of the terrain and hills, trail running is also naturally run/walk. You walk the uphills, and lots of people walk the uphills. As you get better, you can start to run some of them, but there are always hills that everyone ends up walking, especially in a longer race.

Trail races are much smaller, so yes, there is more of a chance of finishing toward the end, but absolutely no one cares. In my first 50k (referenced above), I "ran" into the race director in my last few miles (the course had lots of crossing paths, so he was picking up signs from parts that really didn't have any more runners), and he ran to the finish with me.

There are trail races of all distances, from 5ks to ultras, so you don't have to run long to run trails.

I realize that for a lot of folks it can be hard to find natural-surface trails to run on, so that can be a downside. And you don't want to do a trail race without some experience running among rocks and roots. But if you have the opportunity, it may be worth trying. The trail running culture is so different.

I've been third-to-last in several races, but not been made to feel bad about it. In my first 50k when I was third-to-last (but didn't know it), the aid station folks were still there and in fact toward the end they were radioing in my position (and presumably also the runners after me) because the race director wanted to make sure to know where all the runners were - but that was a trail race - see below.

After reading some of these comments, I'd suggest some of you consider trying trail running/racing. Trail runners are much, much more mellow about the idea of running "fast" and what pace people are running (even though some of them are in fact really fast). It's so much more about doing your best and getting out there.

Because of the terrain and hills, trail running is also naturally run/walk. You walk the uphills, and lots of people walk the uphills. As you get better, you can start to run some of them, but there are always hills that everyone ends up walking, especially in a longer race.

Trail races are much smaller, so yes, there is more of a chance of finishing toward the end, but absolutely no one cares. In my first 50k (referenced above), I "ran" into the race director in my last few miles (the course had lots of crossing paths, so he was picking up signs from parts that really didn't have any more runners), and he ran to the finish with me.

There are trail races of all distances, from 5ks to ultras, so you don't have to run long to run trails.

I realize that for a lot of folks it can be hard to find natural-surface trails to run on, so that can be a downside. And you don't want to do a trail race without some experience running among rocks and roots. But if you have the opportunity, it may be worth trying. The trail running culture is so different.
Thank you for sharing! I heard about someone who had a great experience at Rock The Ridge (I think it's a trail since folks can run or hike it), and it seems like they have a pretty generous cutoff time. Plus Relays if the full distance isn't something folks want to do. Will definitely have to look into more of these!

I had not even considered that, but I've only ever done one trail race in my life. Where I live now we have abundant trails, including one really awesome mountain that is just a mile or so from my home. I had DH drop me at the top for a hike down last fall, and one of the trails comes within a quarter mile of here at the bottom. Thanks for sharing that!

As a card-carrying member of Team Not-So-Fast, I almost always email the race director before I enter a race to find out what the pace requirements are or how "walker friendly" a race is (this question helps for race directors who think 11-12 minute miles are "slow"). What I didn't know was that it isn't uncommon - particularly on the small races - for races to allow an "early start." Basically, they start you ahead of everyone else! The person who introduced me to this - and who thankfully holds a lot of races in my area - told me to just find him when I get there. He manually inputs my start in the computer and off I go. I'd never heard of such a thing, but when I mentioned it to my running coach, he was like "yeah, a lot of races do that." What??? So now, if I'm entering a smaller race - and particularly if I'm using it as catered training run - I ask if this is an option.
Little Rock is a "big race" with an early start. I used it the year I was recovering from a femoral stress fracture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter