The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

No one can say definitively, I’m just telling you about my experience, although I have read that even parties of 1 have gotten the same message above, so there is the speed factor when someone cancels and everyone logged in and super refreshing is trying to grab a LL.

Here is a post saying party size doesn’t matter, speed is more important, although it doesn’t change my view that speed and party size both would matter (most resort rooms are setup for families of 4-5). The average passholder filling HS would be a party of 1-2.

When these cancellations appear they book within milliseconds so that suggests there was a party size limit.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/genie-plus-lightning-lane-refill-rules-disney-world/

we are a party of 5 and many times I would click something that had just appeared and then get an error on the booking screen (you don’t see the error below unless you clicked Genie+ when the LL was available; it’s usually grayed out in the tip board).

A CM told me that it’s probably because the cancellation was from a smaller party. I saw this error a few times during spring break (very annoying):

View attachment 727279
Was told the same by a cast member over Thanksgiving…. Frozen popped up a million times in the afternoon and I could never grab it… we were a party of 11.

Was told the same by a cast member over Thanksgiving…. Frozen popped up a million times in the afternoon and I could never grab it… we were a party of 11.
I was only in a party of 2 but the same happened. My daughter and I wanted MMRR at Hollywood studios. I saw early times come up a ton but couldn’t make it through to book.

I’m hoping with the modify function this becomes a little easier, but who knows.

Being able to modify is a godsend to those of us who use stacking and come later in the day. Now you can effectively stack basically whatever reservations you want at whatever time if you’re coming in the afternoon. Just make sure you’re grabbing something/anything every 2 hours and you can keep modifying the plans forward.

Being able to modify is a godsend to those of us who use stacking and come later in the day. Now you can effectively stack basically whatever reservations you want at whatever time if you’re coming in the afternoon. Just make sure you’re grabbing something/anything every 2 hours and you can keep modifying the plans forward.
So you can modify any future LL not just the one you booked most recently?

So you can modify any future LL not just the one you booked most recently?
Correct. If you’re using a stacking strategy, just get the rides you want at whatever time and then keep bumping them later till you get them to the times you want. It’s a huge boon for people who understand the system. If I was a betting man I’d say they’d pull back on this because it’s a huge advantage to people who understand the system over casual users.

Correct. If you’re using a stacking strategy, just get the rides you want at whatever time and then keep bumping them later till you get them to the times you want. It’s a huge boon for people who understand the system. If I was a betting man I’d say they’d pull back on this because it’s a huge advantage to people who understand the system over casual users.
And when you modify it doesn't restart the 2 hr waiting period? This sounds like an improvement for sure...

It does not. I have to believe they are going to roll this back, it is such an advantage to power-users.
I was thinking that too, but maybe the higher price is enough of a deterrent that they can add some more user friendly features (one can hope.) We used genie+ the first month it came out, once over the summer, and then over this past Thanksgiving. The price was rough over Thanksgiving, but the product worked a lot better then previous attempts. I don't see this being something we splurge on often because we go enough, but I feel better spending money on a version that is useful!

It does not. I have to believe they are going to roll this back, it is such an advantage to power-users.
I think that power users are already at an advantage with G+, even though G+ is supposed to level the playing field. But the ins and outs are complex enough that, like FP+, only those who've studied up know how to use it to their best advantage. And even those of us who've studied and used it several times still have questions about it. The system is hardly intutive.

Edited for clarity.

Agreed I also see them limiting how many you can stack at a time too. I would limit it to 2 max at a time.

I know that everyone's touring plans are different and something good for one person might be terrible for another. Having said that, it would be a HUGE disadvantage for people like me who fly down and hit the parks on arrival day. We're paying the full ticket fee for a day, but are only using part of it. Having a stack of 3-4 LLs on arrival takes the edge off of missing part of our park day we've already paid for.

I know that everyone's touring plans are different and something good for one person might be terrible for another. Having said that, it would be a HUGE disadvantage for people like me who fly down and hit the parks on arrival day. We're paying the full ticket fee for a day, but are only using part of it. Having a stack of 3-4 LLs on arrival takes the edge off of missing part of our park day we've already paid for.
I get that and it would suck. The main reason LLs run out so quickly is due to lack of capacity. They don't have enough attractions for the amount of people buying Genie+.

Agreed I also see them limiting how many you can stack at a time too. I would limit it to 2 max at a time.
It drives me crazy when people on the DIS recommend things like this to Disney--things they should limit, things they should charge more for, services they should eliminate. I often wonder if the posters of these suggestions work for Disney and are testing the waters. I mean, what Disney lover wants even more things taken away?

OK, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a lot of Disney lovers want more limits, less service, and higher prices. I am not one of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter