The Daily Rant errrr fix (1/18/2017)

I'm not going to go into details on my correspondence but I had some nice phone phone calls yesterday and I know Bob Chapek and George Kalogridis both saw mine. It wasn't really a make me jump up and down convo. I didn't expect anything to happen for this event, it already happened and while stumbling they did make the displaced satisfied so no reason to shift it all around again and mix up yet another groups plans. I could hear it in their voice by the end of the call that they realized what this looked like so I'm confident they get it but only slightly comfortable this might not happen again

Last edited:
I'm not going to go into details on my correspondence but I had some nice phone phone calls yesterday and I know Bob Chapek and George Kalogridis both saw mine. It wasn't really a make me jump up and down convo. I didn't expect anything to happen for this event, it already happened and while stumbling they did make the displaced satisfied so no reason to shift it all around again and mix up yet another groups plans. I could hear it in their voice by the end of the call that they realized what this looked like so I'm confident they get it but only slightly comfortable this might not happen again

They just emailed me asking for a convenient time to call. My only issue with that is I'm much more clear if I take the time to type it out. But I'll talk with them.

They just emailed me asking for a convenient time to call. My only issue with that is I'm much more clear if I take the time to type it out. But I'll talk with them.
Good for you, your letter must have made an impact. Good luck with the conversation.

My email to the higher ups after getting my Jenny email response. Let me know what you think!:

Mr. Iger and Mr. Kalogridis:

I am writing you in regards to a situation which does not affect me personally, but very easily could have as we will be visiting Walt Disney World, staying on property, from January 28 - February 4.

30 families were displaced from their long standing (likely 6 months in advance) ADRs so that a Delicious Disney, a Chef's Series could be held at Cinderella's Royal Table for the night of January 31st. The families were notified about a week ago.

Now, I'm not going to waste my time talking about how Disney made it right for those families and found them comparable reservations. Frankly, I don't buy it. When you tell people their reservation needs to be switched due to an operational issue, they are likely to believe you and just go with the flow, after all, nothing can be helped with operational issues, just rotten luck.

And it isn't like you could say to your guests, "We are choosing to bump your reservation because we came up with a way to have people pay $500 a head and our only obstacle in achieving that is your family's long standing, prepaid vacation plans."

No, what concerns me the most is the mindset that made that acceptable in the first place. Are middle and lower class guests worth that much less to you? You continue to come up with add ons to cater to the elite (after hours, the cabanas) and that is fine.

That is fine until the moment when you cross the line and pander to the elite at the expense of the regular family, who make up your bread and butter. Which you have done here.

If it had been a miscommunication error where you intended the castle be blacked out for this event and for whatever reason it wasn't, why not postpone the event a half an hour OR, difficult as it is to imagine, cancel on those 60 guests deep pockets instead of displacing 30 FAMILIES.

You realize the number of children this has likely disappointed? If they don't all have replacement reservations at the castle, how many of those little girls have been told for 6 months that they would be dining inside the castle with Cinderella had to be told that their reservations were moved to Crystal Palace so now they are eating with Pooh? But, those guests' disappointment is just a casualty to pleasing the elite.

As you can see, I am passionate about this issue. A family whose parents have saved every dime for 2 years (such as mine) for the privilege of bringing their children to the happiest place on earth are NOT less worthy than guests with bottomless pockets. You cannot treat them this way and not anticipate a backlash.

If actions such as these continue, this upcoming trip to Walt Disney World will be my last. We had been looking into buying it DVC and coming yearly. I know it isn't $500 a head for one meal, but it is tens of thousands of dollars of revenue. I would think you would want to show families, like mine, that you know that we are the main source of your revenue stream and that you value us equally.

I will be watching, and listening. I am very sincerely hoping that this was a one time action and you realize how wrong it was to create class distinction and inequality in the Magic Kingdom.

Thank you for this kind consideration in this matter.

[My real name]

Wow!!!! Great job!!

I need it. I'll probably get flustered and trip over my words.
You'll be fine. Just remember what you're doing for others affected (and it's not even you) and you'll be fine. Just relax, breathe, namaste! :)

You'll be fine. Just remember what you're doing for others affected (and it's not even you) and you'll be fine. Just relax, breathe, namaste! :)
I just got off the phone with them. He was very friendly and agreed with me and said that while they were trying to create experiences for those with discretionary funds with vacations they need to do so in the future in a way that "causes no harm." He said that they've learned from this moving forward.

I am very hopeful. I mentioned that we leave for Disney in 3 days and he asked where we were staying and gave me his number to text him when we are in the area because he wants to meet me and my family.

I am happy that he took my feedback to heart and am also thrilled that he's taking time out of his schedule to meet with me.

That's the Disney I know and love.

I just got off the phone with them. He was very friendly and agreed with me and said that while they were trying to create experiences for those with discretionary funds with vacations they need to do so in the future in a way that "causes no harm." He said that they've learned from this moving forward.

I am very hopeful. I mentioned that we leave for Disney in 3 days and he asked where we were staying and gave me his number to text him when we are in the area because he wants to meet me and my family.

I am happy that he took my feedback to heart and am also thrilled that he's taking time out of his schedule to meet with me.

I am so proud!!! I am just ranting and look at you making an impact!
You are an excellent writer, you should submit an article to the Dis.

I am glad the call went well and congrats on having an impact

I truly hope they are now just giving this lip service but have learned from it and those guests impacted truly feel satisfied with the solution agreed to

If so, i think that is really the best of Disney - not that everything is perfect and they never make mistakes, but that they go above and beyond to fix bad situations when warented

I am glad the call went well and congrats on having an impact

I truly hope they are now just giving this lip service but have learned from it and those guests impacted truly feel satisfied with the solution agreed to

If so, i think that is really the best of Disney - not that everything is perfect and they never make mistakes, but that they go above and beyond to fix bad situations when warented
VERY well said, and EXACTLY how I feel (as usual), Phil!!

Very cool looks like between us we got them to to understand what they really did!!! thanks for driving it home! and boohoo I dont' get to meet these people :(

Very cool looks like between us we got them to to understand what they really did!!! thanks for driving it home! and boohoo I dont' get to meet these people :(
I can't believe it! I'm so glad we both emailed them. He seemed to genuinely understand!

Just watched the Daily Fix, and Olly reported Disney is paying for the displaced families dinners. Since they can't UNDO what they already did, I have to give props for them making an effort. And as we all have continued to say - I'm glad I spoke up, and hopefully this will make them actually THINK the next time, and this just wasn't a case of "we're only sorry we got CAUGHT".

BIG difference.

Just wanted to add that I had a phone call with someone from guest relations who also assured me that management had seen my note (I wound up sending a note to Iger and some others) and she echoed what Pete said on the podcast this week that they made arrangements with everyone impacted and they all seemed satisfied

Also indicated that they are aware of what this caused and will look to do better planning in the future

One thing she did say that I hadn't seen mentioned before was that they had started to plan this event 6 months ago before reservations were open so at that time it didn't impact any reservations but then they realized they needed more time to prep the facility and that is when reservations got impacted

So their was some though - just not perfect execution and they definitely didn't control the initial social media reaction - but hopefully they will do better in the future

That's interesting @TheMaxRebo! If they thought it up 6 months ago why not share?! That's the problem with most these add ons like this or the brunch Corey talked about, so little notice they only work for locals! Anyone traveling already have meal plans.
Seems like a missed opportunity too, some guests might plan a whole trip around a special event.

Just wanted to add that I had a phone call with someone from guest relations who also assured me that management had seen my note (I wound up sending a note to Iger and some others) and she echoed what Pete said on the podcast this week that they made arrangements with everyone impacted and they all seemed satisfied

Also indicated that they are aware of what this caused and will look to do better planning in the future

One thing she did say that I hadn't seen mentioned before was that they had started to plan this event 6 months ago before reservations were open so at that time it didn't impact any reservations but then they realized they needed more time to prep the facility and that is when reservations got impacted

So their was some though - just not perfect execution and they definitely didn't control the initial social media reaction - but hopefully they will do better in the future
Thanx for the update, and all your work on this, Phil.

I must have been the first of the calls as I didn't get the "aware of what this caused and will look to do better planning in the future".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter