• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stopping at Target on way to Aulani from airport?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I arrive on Saturday and was thinking of stopping at Target before getting to Aulani if I am not too tired. What exit would I take?

We usually make a trip to Costco and Foodland after we get checked in to Aulani. Foodland is a local company and they do have smaller quantities than Costco of course and more variety. You can also get their discount card just by signing up when you get in the store. Safeway has a discount card also. We like to support the local economy whenever we can. I thought the Target prices were the highest of the grocery stores available and didn't have that great of a selection.

We usually make a trip to Costco and Foodland after we get checked in to Aulani. Foodland is a local company and they do have smaller quantities than Costco of course and more variety. You can also get their discount card just by signing up when you get in the store.

One thing I have noticed about Foodland is they do seem to have a better quality of local produce. I LOVE fruit and veggies, especially the Hawaiian grown stuff, so I am pretty particular about it. Of course it depends on that weeks flyer and specials but I think the prices are pretty good for local produce too.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I arrive on Saturday and was thinking of stopping at Target before getting to Aulani if I am not too tired. What exit would I take?

Here is a link for directions to Kapolei Commons. Target is part of that complex. It is pretty easy to get there, the exit loops you over the freeway and you can see it as you come down into the area...

http://www.thekapoleicommons.com/driving-directions/

One thing I have noticed about Foodland is they do seem to have a better quality of local produce. I LOVE fruit and veggies, especially the Hawaiian grown stuff, so I am pretty particular about it. Of course it depends on that weeks flyer and specials but I think the prices are pretty good for local produce too.
That's true of our Foodland at home, too. Lower-end and lots of store brands on basics, but great meats and produce. Plus staffed with nearly all teenagers who are being taught courtesy and respect; love supporting that local business.

We are in Aulani now. Arrived at resort about 1:30 and room wasn't ready. Went to Foodland in Kapolei. Not a bad store, although some sticker shock. e.g. bananas are $1.29 lb. Tropical fruit? I guess not grown in Hawaii anymore.
We signed up for the shopper club at the register which saved us over $7.00. Also got the senior discount without asking. :-) I guess we have to admit that we crossed over when DH got his Medicare card.

We are in Aulani now. Arrived at resort about 1:30 and room wasn't ready. Went to Foodland in Kapolei. Not a bad store, although some sticker shock. e.g. bananas are $1.29 lb. Tropical fruit? I guess not grown in Hawaii anymore.
We signed up for the shopper club at the register which saved us over $7.00. Also got the senior discount without asking. :-) I guess we have to admit that we crossed over when DH got his Medicare card.

This is why we like Foodland. Safeway also has a discount card you can sign up for. When we checked out Target, their bananas were 99 cents each! I think also there is a farmers market over by the Marriott one or two days a week, but not sure what day.

This is why we like Foodland. Safeway also has a discount card you can sign up for. When we checked out Target, their bananas were 99 cents each! I think also there is a farmers market over by the Marriott one or two days a week, but not sure what day.

Mondays and it ends pretty early

We arrived today and stopped at Safeway on our way. Arrived at the resort about 2:30 and our room wasn't ready. They are no longer holding groceries in cold storage - so be warned about stopping on your way unless it is close to check in time. Luckily our room ended up being ready within an hour so we were ok. We had a bit of a panic since we had purchased a groceries for 6 people for a full week.

We arrived today and stopped at Safeway on our way. Arrived at the resort about 2:30 and our room wasn't ready. They are no longer holding groceries in cold storage - so be warned about stopping on your way unless it is close to check in time. Luckily our room ended up being ready within an hour so we were ok. We had a bit of a panic since we had purchased a groceries for 6 people for a full week.
Yikes--thanks for the heads up! That's exactly what we were planning to do :/

We arrived yesterday. We stopped at Leonard's but otherwise went to the resort. Checked in, it was 4:00pm, went to our room, cleaned up a bit and then headed out for dinner and then went to the grocery story after dinner. Seemed to work out well.

Their bakery was also very good (loved the single serves of the Hawaiian cake) and my kiddo loved the sushi from the deli!

I always throw in my suitcase a couple of those flat cooler bags when we travel to hot places. They weigh practically nothing and take up little room in the suitcase. Works for groceries plus we can use them to carry picnic lunches to the beaches.

I agree that a cooler bag is great for this trip. I got that idea from a trip report on this board. It gave us the confidence to shop without a room. Plus we bought a case of Hawaii water. Normally, I don't use individual bottled water, but we pack the cooler for beach or trips and always have a supply of cold drinks.

We did make our stop at Target on the way to Aulani. We both knew that once we got to Aulani we wouldn't feel like heading back out. Because we ended up renting a Jeep (last minute switch at the rental counter!), meaning all of our luggage was totally visible in the back seat, DH stayed in the vehicle while I ran in for necessities. It worked out perfectly!

I agree that a cooler bag is great for this trip. I got that idea from a trip report on this board. It gave us the confidence to shop without a room. Plus we bought a case of Hawaii water. Normally, I don't use individual bottled water, but we pack the cooler for beach or trips and always have a supply of cold drinks.

Yes bring a flat/collapsible cooler bag. I have one that we have been taking on our outside of resort adventures and down to the pool. It would not have worked for groceries though as we had bought a ton of stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter