• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Something About Nothing............ #14

The little bit of cynic in me thinks that this may be his way of trying to get her to retire and stay home with him. He is 80, and she will be 79 in August and has shown no indication that she wants to retire. Any caregiving would fall on her. They have 2 children, but their son lives in NC. The daughter is local, but is a single parent.

The "poisoning" story: This happened sometime after we had started dating, but before we were engaged. It was a Monday night and dh had come to my house for dinner. I don't remember exactly what I cooked except that it was a chicken dish. Later that night he got violently ill and I was certain that I had somehow undercooked the chicken and given him food poisoning. The odd thing though is that I wasn't sick. The following Wednesday we were talking to friends after church and discovered that they all had been sick Monday as well. We were trying to figure out what everyone had in common and realized that we had all eaten lunch together on Sunday afternoon. There was still the question of why I was the only one who hadn't gotten sick. A little further investigation revealed that I was the only one in our group who hadn't eaten from the salad bar. A few of our friends didn't believe it was caused by the salad bar, but I think it is the only logical explanation. Funny, but my unhealthy choice is what kept me from getting sick.

Last edited:
Continuing my proud tradition, my little pony lost today. Anyone get lucky?

The Mexican grub was well-received, I’m pounding ginger tabs to try to keep stomach on even keel. It just doesn’t like me, at least I was able to keep the cilantro at bay via cooking it at home.

Had two bananas that went to the other side. Normally, use three in my banana nut bread. Did some tweaking of my usual recipie…
IMG_1003.jpegNot too shabby & quite moist. Was shocked how much it did rise. Went with a cinnamon crunch topping that I plan on replicating from here on out.

Thank you Carole.

Carole sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for your niece and sister in law that all goes well with their hip surgeries. Those procedures are getting better all the time.

They have a less invasive approach now that some surgeons are using and it is really helping with healing time post surgery.

I watched little J Tuesday and we had a wonderful time. I took him to the play area at the church and he had the best time. I had the best time just watching him laugh and play.

I always put one of those bento containers in the freezer then take it out once it is good and frozen and pack him a lunch and some little juice boxes for his play trips. He expends so much energy playing and running. I want to make sure he is hydrated and has some healthy calories.

He loves fruit and vegetables. His favorites are cucumbers and cherry tomatoes dipped in avocado. Apples, Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and he likes cheese.

I was able to watch little J yesterday also for a couple hours as my niece had a doc appt. We went to the park. He loved that.

I bought some tomato plants yesterday on the way home and I’am going to plant those in the pots on the porch. I grew tomatoes in planter pots on the porch last year and a some in the mini-planting area under my kitchen window last year. So going to try that again this year.

Carole I noticed you missing today. Hope the weather is allowing you to get out and enjoy some walking.

Thank you Robbie.

My niece didn`t get her surgery in the end, she`s had ongoing dental issues and on the morning of surgery she had pain and blood in her mouth, they discovered she had an abscess, so surgery was cancelled and off to emergency dental unit where they removed the tooth, she`s doing ok though and surgeon says he`ll get her back in as soon as is possible.

Glad you had a lovely time with the little guy.

We did manage to get out some walks, our weather is slowly improving, but winter hasn`t finished with us yet I believe :)

Hope all is good with you Robbie.

Robbie little j sounds like a good & healthy eater!

Few foods in life better than a fresh, warm tomato out of the backyard garden. Thinking of running to farm store later or early next week to beat the inevitable Mother’s Day rush

I don`t use the word blessed very often but where we live we have an abundance of farm stores large and small and it does spoil one for quality of produce. We even have a couple of tiny growers that leave their produce out by their gates and have an honesty box, even today and we love that they still do it.

Non industrial grown tomatoes are hard to beat!

Disney Senior, your turn will come soon where you have blooming flower beds!

This year I plan to just enjoy weeds in my yard.
lol
I am done with dealing with flowers.

Aww, what a shame, your rose bushes were beautiful, I always liked to see the pictures you sent me of them.

Just a quick update on my post vacation blues, LOL.
I am still recovering from this.:crazy2: It must be because of the 4000 mile plus drive at our age. So from now on it is flying! It could be the cold rainy weather that's contributing to the aches and pain too. Oh well..............

Yesterday was not a good day for me as far as baking/cooking goes:confused: I was at my Mother's house helping her out, and she wanted me to bake brownies. Brownies and I don't get along well! I don't know what I do to them, but they never turn out. I have tried to make them from scratch and from a box with no difference. Well, Mom called to tell me that the brownies were no good and weren't done! I baked them as directed and even left them in 5 minutes longer. I checked them with a toothpick and they seemed fine. Oh well, it's a mystery!

Then I made mashed potatoes from the Idahoan package. We had these at my sisterinlaws in Arizona and they were delicious! I never thought a package of mashed potatoes would turn out so good. However, when I took them out of the microwave and stirred them, they seemed to turn to concrete! Honestly, if we needed concrete were would have been all set. My husband, bless him, said let's try them and they will be ok. Well, no they weren't. We threw the concrete away. I guess I didn't add 4 cups of water/milk to the potatoes, but only added 2 cups!!!! No wonder they were cement.

So, yesterday was Not a good cooking/baking day for me:sad2: I hit the Little Debbies cakes to help me get over the trauma.

I hope you all have good baking/cooking days this weekend, LOL.

ruth

I did love your description of how you were resting, it sounded so cosy!!

lol...those brownies!!! You`ll get it and they`ll be lovely.

I always thought those boxes were seasonings to add to potatoes???? Who knew you could buy potatoes in a box. When I was a kid we had a thing called Smash....their tagline on their tv advert was....For mash get Smash......it was vile....lol.....I think almost every household in the UK in the 1970`s had a pack at the back of their pantry for emergencies...I have no idea what the emergency would be you couldn`t get potatoes lol....but I always thought those boxes were seasonings, I need to pay more attention :flower1:

Well, we all can get days like that.
I find ice cream the next best thing than real food at times.

lol.....ice cream is amazing at times!!!

View attachment 856649
Everyone is a fan of Star Wars on maythefourth

Sounds like a fun outing to me, enjoy. It’s still warm & sunny here. Never got the rain yesterday, going to 85 degrees. Bottom drops out tomorrow, only 65. Need to remember to pull something out of freezer to roast in oven before it bounces back up to mid-upper 70’s all week.

I can smell summer

I need to learn how to photo edit the roaming girl from this pic last night 😖 She did very well in her speaking. Took them out for ice cream afterwards, family picked one a long haul away. The sort of very old skool rural place that the retired owner hangs out and gives kids half dollars for stopping by. Haven’t seen that practice in ages. Was a nice evening, he set up picnic tables and gazebos to just chill in the wooded countryside.

Later, need to meet a plumber at Jr’s house, the fate of the retired folk, least it makes us feel useful lol

Have a great day all.

Glad your GD did herself proud at the event. It takes courage indeed to speak in front of people, she`s still so young but good for her.

lol.....yes, being retired is a joy!!! Especially so early, I love it!!! Always nice to be useful.

Can you send some of your summer over here......I think ours has got lost so far!!

Good morning and happy Saturday. We are expecting rain all weekend, so I don't think I will be going out much. Today seems like a good day to finally get summer clothes out of storage.

I think I am caught up at work. The other therapist finally got her Medicare approval, so I have started the process of getting her approved to send claims.

I found out more information about my boss' husband. He was on his way home from his daily walk when he started feeling dizzy, fell, and hit his head on the driveway. My boss took a picture of the huge knot on his head. Apparently this has happened before, but he refuses to see a doctor. Boss insisted on taking him to the hospital where they discovered evidence of a heart attack. (elevated levels of a certain protein, EKG showed blockage). When I left work on Thursday he had been sent for a stress test and there was mention of him possibly needing a pacemaker. I am waiting for an update.

Just got a text from my boss. She said that her husband chose to leave the hospital Thursday evening, so I assume the heart blockage has not been addressed. She says he is still extremely dizzy. I know she is really frustrated with him right now.

Hope you get some good news about her husband, yes, sounds like he`s not thinking about her right now.

The little bit of cynic in me thinks that this may be his way of trying to get her to retire and stay home with him. He is 80, and she will be 79 in August and has shown no indication that she wants to retire. Any caregiving would fall on her. They have 2 children, but their son lives in NC. The daughter is local, but is a single parent.

The "poisoning" story: This happened sometime after we had started dating, but before we were engaged. It was a Monday night and dh had come to my house for dinner. I don't remember exactly what I cooked except that it was a chicken dish. Later that night he got violently ill and I was certain that I had somehow undercooked the chicken and given him food poisoning. The odd thing though is that I wasn't sick. The following Wednesday we were talking to friends after church and discovered that they all had been sick Monday as well. We were trying to figure out what everyone had in common and realized that we had all eaten lunch together on Sunday afternoon. There was still the question of why I was the only one who hadn't gotten sick. A little further investigation revealed that I was the only one in our group who hadn't eaten from the salad bar. A few of our friends didn't believe it was caused by the salad bar, but I think it is the only logical explanation. Funny, but my unhealthy choice is what kept me from getting sick.

lol....salad bars are notorious for food poisonings, never touch them usually! Glad you made it as a couple beyond the "poisoning" incident!!

Continuing my proud tradition, my little pony lost today. Anyone get lucky?

The Mexican grub was well-received, I’m pounding ginger tabs to try to keep stomach on even keel. It just doesn’t like me, at least I was able to keep the cilantro at bay via cooking it at home.

Had two bananas that went to the other side. Normally, use three in my banana nut bread. Did some tweaking of my usual recipie…
View attachment 857041Not too shabby & quite moist. Was shocked how much it did rise. Went with a cinnamon crunch topping that I plan on replicating from here on out.

Banana`s and nuts!!!! You lost me there lol....almost got me back with cinnamon, it does look good though.

We don`t really eat anything Mexican, I do make Fajitas on occasion and I omit cilantro too, bleurgh.....who wants a dish to taste of soap. I have asked folks who love cilantro what they taste when they eat it and they all say it`s just fresh!! Not for us either, I`m happy to be in the minority that avoid it. I never like to run with the crowd anyway :rolleyes1

Good to see you! I know you've been busy lately but you are missed!

Thank you Ruth, that`s nice of you to say :-)

Busy few days with a busy time ahead, May was always going to be a fun one!!

Salon appointment again yesterday, and went for the chop!!! Yep, I now have a short bob which I love. Kept the layers for bounce and shape and got the old roots done, and if I say so myself, it looks amazing and Tom loves it. It feels strange for my hair to be so short after being so long for a million years. Pictures have been sent 😊

Have a lovely Sunday :wave2:

Ooh. Frozen board as I typed, poof all typing gone. Oh well.

Weather. Cool day. 49 degrees out, almost carbon copy of yesterday, where I did wear a jacket. Raining right now, and just like yesterday, but more chances of rain today.

Did go to that huge mall, got what we came for, then went to that outdoor items store, and little one found a nice rain jacket, and I found a nice t shirt. We went in a rain that started as we were about 10 minutes from our home, and rained a lot as we drove, And, big mall has huge parking garages, so we were dry, then when we stopped at the outdoor place, it didn’t rain, but by the time we got out, was raining lightly. Roads were still wet the whole way home. Probably will be the same today. Sister asked to visit, as she’s enjoying some fun this week, starting early tomorrow. Older one is house sitting.

And being a Sunday, probably wet trash cans, will be at the curb after dinner. Then alarm already set. And heater just turned on. I don’t mind a cooler feeling house when I’m sleeping. But don’t like it after I get up. And it feels cool inside too. Sigh. The other day, AC was on, today, heater is. So ready for that AC weather all the time.

Yay, next week starts with a Mother’s Day next Sunday. Also so ready for the end of the month, as first of the rest of the year holidays start, with a Monday one this late day in May. Then one in mid June, one in early July, one early September, then one in each of the months until mid February. Woot! Summer season start coming in the next month.

Yay for Schumi rocking a shorter hair style. And nice to be able to have farm food around.

Most of our local produce won’t be seen until later in the summer. Some have greenhouses, but nothing like a field grown tomato. And for little one, Jersey farm ones. I did plant tomato seeds in a planter. They have kinds called patio ones. So they can grow in a big pot. Hope we do get some little looking tomatoes from them by August.

Ooh time for more teas. DH left with a hot cup of coffee, hours ago, to be at the USO today. Money is tight with them, and saying may not have any real presence at the airport soon, which they do now. Plus, right now, it’s after security. Saying new, very small closet size, may not be. That would be sad. While I don’t fly that much, it is nice to be in a secured area after security, where food and drink can be freely had. And a huge nice bathroom, with showers. Though with much shorter hours now, I haven’t had the chance to go in it, the last time we flew. We may be able to stop in this trip.

Time for more tea, and get the wash into the dryer. No hanging out today. Then my nice hot shower with freshly dried towels. Ah, lazy Sunday. Taking full advantage of being that lazy today.

Super enjoyable Sunday to all. Welcome to the first full week of May. Yay. Time going along fast.

Last edited:
IMG_0985.jpeg
IMG_0987.jpeg

Productive day, noticed both my rental car (big one, $130, can’t remember the last time that happened) & cruise price dropped this AM.

Had to arm wrestle RCCL to get an upgrade out of it as past final payment date. Now we are in an ocean view balcony instead of one of the interior balcony they offer. A guaranty, figured since they have no obstructed ones, will be fine where-ever we land. Famous last words, never booked a GTY before lol

Just trimmed the pooch’s hairs, looks even more adorable. He was winding up getting pine needles & seeds of some sort stuck in his coat. Will call it his early summer cut. Anyone remember boys used to get buzzed with a clipper cut that would last all summer? They looked like clones

Now, need to figure out what to do with the boneless chicken breasts staring at me in the fridge. May grill them out. Was thinking it might be easier to skip skewers and just try them in a big pan i have for the gas gills. Or it could be a royal mess, living on the edge here!

she`s doing ok though and surgeon says he`ll get her back in as soon as is possible.
She’s made of strong stock
We even have a couple of tiny growers that leave their produce out by their gates and have an honesty box, even today and we love that they still do it.
That is very rare here, mostly those who sell corn
Can you send some of your summer over here......I think ours has got lost so far!!
Well, it seems to have taken a vacation. Was rainy and quite chilly overnight, supposed to bounce back to mid 70’s today. Jury is out on that.
I have asked folks who love cilantro what they taste when they eat it and they all say it`s just fresh!!
Seriously, I’ve asked the same. Nobody can give a reasonable explanation of the taste. I’ve taken to just subbing some basil. Nobody has complained yet.
Cool day. 49 degrees out,
Warm weather headed your way
and little one found a nice rain jacket
Nice, sporty types are difficult to find. I picked one up a few years ago. It’s waterproof and lightweight but, is lined in this silver metallic material. Reminds me of how a potato must feel when wrapped in foil and baking. Literally, wind up damp from my own body heat after a while. :crazy2:

Have a good one all

Happy Sunday all!

SW was a blast. Crushed the Festival foods. 27 food items for 4 people. Rides were all walk-on except Journey and Icebreaker.
Intersection of Cinco de Mayo and 7 Seas seafood festivals.

@ $5 per item with the passholder discount lanyards we didn’t hit Sharks but instead noshed around the park.

Memorial day weekend in UO will likely not be as easy to navigate.

I like that cat!
Saw this one & thot of my fellow mayo fiend
IMG_0984.jpeg
Of course, never would Kraft mayo cross my doorstep lol
Intersection of Cinco de Mayo and 7 Seas seafood festivals
Pretty sure I’ve never had a bad snack there from the booths and they are anything but skimpy

Decided to put a rub on the chicken breasts and whipped up a quick BBQ sauce, some nice bread & butter corn on cob (no idea where that originated) and a salad will do the trick. Hoping for some leftover chicken as a far-flung track meet tomorrow. May just not put it all out to start with lol

Quick hello before I go to bed. I heard from my boss this morning. Her husband has agreed to wear a heart monitor for a while, so I guess that’s better than nothing.

Salon appointment again yesterday, and went for the chop!!! Yep, I now have a short bob which I love.
It sounds cute. I would love to see it. You have reminded me that I am well overdue for a trim.

I should get some sleep. Morning will be here soon.

That is good news, Charade. I had a nurse cousin who worked at a senior place. She said the two biggest deadly risks to seniors were falls and infections.

Yay, Keisha’s kitchen is smelling good. Love bbq chicken. Last week, we cut up the chicken breasts, put bbq sauce in the freezer bags with the chicken, and will defrost them for our Memorial Day picnic. That, and hotdogs and burgers round out the main entrees at our dinner. Time of year, hopefully a nice, hot day to grill and enjoy pool time.

Ah, that rain is still a chance today, but at least just overcast, and warmer this morning. 56 out, as we tossed the last trash in the still a little wet trash cans at the curb. Soon enough, will be hearing the trash trucks. Trash day Monday.

And it surely feels like a Monday. But yay, warmer start, cooler end of week. Hoping much warmer weather when we return from our fun time, coming up soon. Hoping nice and hot and dry there, while we are there. One hand countdown. Yay.

And before our trip, hair salon visit this Thursday. Glad to fit it in, before we go. Legally blonde update. Woot! Hehe, little one said sometimes her friends asked why her mom was blonde. Well, when you mix black and blonde, you get a chance of blonde to black hair kids. My parents, who were very dark brown hair and blonde hair, got two blonde, two very dark brown, and one light brown hair kid. Our kids are medium brown and light brown hair. And little one is lucky, her medium brown has lots of natural blonde highlights.

Back to week day routine I go, and time for refill of tea mug from my still filled teapot.

Hope all have a most Marvelous Monday today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter