• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo Trip - March (Easter 2024) - Allergies

jf256

Mouseketeer
Hey Everyone,

I hope everyone is starting to enjoy the spring weather. Although here in the UK it has been very hit and miss.

Last year I travelled to Disney for the first time with my fiance. This was my first solo trip.

I travel a lot for work but we very rarely get to the States. I had a very last-minute trip to New York and New Jersey and needed a bit of a break so I decided to go to Disney for a solo trip.

So I went for a week. I stayed 2 nights at Universals Surfside Inns and 5 Nights at the Hilon Buena Vista Palace.

This time I managed to take some photos. So I will be doing a review of some of the food and commenting on the allergy processes at individual locations.

I travel solo occassionaly too and I enjoy other solo travelers perspectives. Looking forward to your report!

Looking forward to reading about your solo experiences. I haven't done a solo trip yet but I am hoping to in the next year!

I am tentatively planning a first solo trip for 2025. So, I’m looking forward to your thoughts, reviews and adventures!

Background Information:

Name: Jodie
Bio: I am a Disney Adult through and through but I lean more towards villains and dark things in my decor and day-to-day. I'm an avid fantasy reader but completely risk-averse in my real life (hence the career choice). My job involves a lot of travel but this is predominantly UK, Middle East and India.

Disney Facts:

Favourite Ride: Cosmic Rewind
Favourite Park: Animal Kingdom
Least Favourite Ride: Buzz
Least Favourite Park: Hollywood Studios
Favourite Film: Beauty and the Beast
Favourite Character: Lilo / Gaston

Trip Information:
  1. Left the UK on the 16th March - From Heathrow - New York. Flying BA economy (was upgraded to premium)
  2. New York - 16 - 20th (Work Trip)
    New Jersey 20th - 22nd (Work Trip)
  3. Frontier Flight - Trenton - Orlando
  4. Universal Surfside - 22nd - 25th
  5. Hilton Lake Buena Vista Palace - 25th - 30th
  6. Orlando - Gatwick BA Premium Economy - 30th. Arrived at 6.30 am on the 31st.

I found out about the trip on the 1st of March and flights were not arranged until the 12th of March. So I did not have a lot of time to book hotels and meals. I did book refundable rates in advance but most of my bookings and reservations were done on the 13th / 14th March

Initial Costs:
  • Premium Upgrade Flight for red-eye to UK (25,000 BA Points + £0 Taxes)
  • Hilton Hotel (£500 in points purchases to take advantage of existing points + 5 nights for 4 + no resort fee)
    Surfside: £200 per night - expensive due to it being the week before easter.
  • Tickets: £800 for 2 weeks combined Universal and Disney ticket ( I priced it out doing US individual day tickets and the UK 14-day ticket was still much cheaper) it also includes park-hoppers (for both parks) and a memory maker.
I planned to book the Holiday Inn in Disney Springs for the weekend but they ran out of points nights the day I went to book it (I'd been a bit indecisive - it would have saved money but I'm really glad I stayed at Surfside).

Initial Thoughts:

• Going Solo made this a lot easier.
    I took a lot more breaks this time around but ended up seeing and doing more.
  • I am glad they have not yet reintroduced the pre-booking element for Disney Genie +. I quite like doing it the day of - I think if you have a plan in place it is effective and means not wasting money if you don't need it.
    I found out last year that the 'popular' Disney restaurants and most hyped restaurants were the most disappointing in my eyes - so I did not struggle to find somewhere to eat on any of the days.
  • Due to the time of year - there were a lot less 'Disney' people. The number of conversations I had overhead of people rocking up with no idea how Genie Plus worked, how to get on Tron / guardians, or that they had to pre-book Cinderella's Royal Table was baffling to me. This made some things easier to get and do.
General Strategy:
  • Early Entry
  • Lunchtime Sit Down Meal.
  • Back to the Hotel for Rest During Peak Time / Heat.
  • Back to the Park till Close.

Following along. Looking forward to reading more I travel to WDW solo often and love it .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter