• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo Travelers...How do you afford Disney?

Shock13

DIS Veteran
Okay, I'm not going to start whining about their prices or anything and I really don't care to hear "well Disney is a business" but seriously, how do you do it? I'm not married or have kids and my family and friends can't usually do Disney as much as I want to or they're just not into it as I am. Which is fine since I can handle going solo and still have a good time. I've done DLR solo and also USO and WDW solo. I have my first DCL cruise booked next year. I'm currently planning another trip to WDW this fall and even though I'm booked at POFQ and may do a couple of nights at the Swan (using a discount), I find myself still contemplating just staying at POP since it saves so much more money! My dream resort is the Contemporary but there is no way I would pay $500+ a night! And that's just for the Garden Wing! I read on here about some of you staying at Deluxe resorts and I'm like "how do they do it?!" Do all of you have great paying jobs? Do you plan years in advance? I admit I don't make a lot of money but I also don't have the usual bills (mortgage/car) but still...
If it came down to it, I could stay a week at the Contemporary and it wouldn't put me in the poor house but I would have a hard time justifying the cost.

Thoughts?

I suppose justifying how much you're willing to spend on a Disney holiday is a personal thing. I'm currently booked for my next trip to stay for 2 weeks at AKL but it's not until Nov 17 so I know I have the time to save and can always downgrade closer to the time I've I'm not going to afford it. Personally I'm just trying to make my way round all the resorts so if I've saved enough I might allow myself a week at an All-Star resort later this year.

I was really lucky and got upgraded to a CL Theme Park view room at the Contemporary last year (I was only staying one night as a final send off) and it may have ruined me for life when it comes to staying at Disney resorts haha but I'll still give them all a go - it is Disney after all!

We tend to live it up when DH goes but I've gotten pretty good at pulling together a budget solo Disney trip when it's just me. A lot would depend on what sort of traveler you are. Everyone has their priorities and they are seldom the same.

I go for the parks, not the resort. The Disney resorts have nice perks but they are pricey when I can get a week in an off site cond for less than $300. A full kitchen means that I can save quite a bit on meals as well as lodging. I choose resorts that are convenient to public transportation for evenings when I think I may have an adult beverage ot two. It's definitely not as easy as Disney transport but I am willing to "suffer" for rate of over $50/night less than the cheapest Value at their deepest discount. It helps that I'm very much a morning person and usually snoring away by 11:00 PM.

I'm not a huge fan of Disney dining and, with a few exceptions, prefer to make my own meals. I hate dining in restaurants alone so TS really doesn't appeal. This is a huge money saver.

I have an AP. Since I average around 30 days a year in the Disney parks it works out to just over $22/day. If you factor in parking fees the value is even greater.

I drive, $175 in gas/tolls vs. almost $300 for a r/t flight.

I'm a big water drinker both at home and while on vacation and am fine with the Orlando H2O. I get the free filtered water at the QS places and use a Brita pitcher back at the condo. At the rate I drink I'd estimate I save over $18/day.

OTOH, I spend a crazy amount on various alcoholic beverages at WDW. Cutting those out would save me hundreds but that ain't happening. I love my cold beers and Grand Marnier slushies far too much. I very much enjoyed hitting Food and Wine before riding Soarin' and am quite excited that it will be open by September!

Not a popular way to "do" Disney, I know, but I really do enjoy my budget trips and by keeping them under $700 or so I can go often which is the most important thing for me.

Last edited:
Wow, OP, I could've written the exact same post. I have:
  • No wife or kids
  • Friends who can't or won't go with me as often as I'd like
  • Dreams of staying at the Contemporary
  • More stays at POP than I'd like (to save money - I like POP though)
Splitting the cost of a hotel room is a huge benefit. I can do WDW reasonably cheap for a short trip, but I try to find someone to go with me when I want to stay longer. My friends just aren't down for it usually though. I definitely feel your pain. I need more Disney friends.

Still, you gotta have some fun for yourself too, so if POFQ is better for you, then why not? There's no harm in it as long as one's not going into massive debt over it.

We tend to live it up when DH goes but I've gotten pretty good at pulling together a budget solo Disney triphen it's just me. A lot would depend on what sort of traveler you are. Everyone has their priorities and they are seldom the same.

I go for the parks, not the resort. The Disney resorts have nice perks but they are pricey when I can get a week in an off site cond for less than $300. A full kitchen means that I can save quite a bit on meals as well as lodging. I choose resorts that are convenient to public transportation for evenings when I think I may have an adult beverage ot two. It I'd definitely not as easy as Disney transport but I am willing to "suffer" for rate of over $50/night less than the cheapest Value at their deepest discount. It helps that I'm very much a morning person and usually snoring away by 11:00 PM.

I'm not a huge fan of Disney dining and, with a few exceptions, prefer to make my own meals. I hate dining in restaurants alone so TS really doesn't appeal. This is a huge money saver.

I have an AP. Since I average around 30 days a year in the Disney parks it works out to just over $22/day. If you factor in parking fees the value is even greater.

I drive, $175 in gas/tolls vs. almost $300 for a r/t flight.

I'm a big water drinker both at home and while on vacation and am fine with the Orlando H2O. I get the free filtered water at the QS places and use a Brita pitcher back at the condo. At the rate I drink I'd estimate I save over $18/day.

OTOH, I spend a crazy amount on various alcoholic beverages at WDW. Cutting those out would save me hundreds but that ain't happening. I love my cold beers and Grand Marnier slushies far too much. I very much enjoyed hitting Food and Wine before riding Soarin' and am quite excited that it will be open by September!

Not a popular way to "do" Disney, I know, but I really do enjoy my budget trips and by keeping them under $700 or so I can go often which is the most important thing for me.

Ah yes. Definitely different priorities should be accounted for as I'm more for the resort than the parks. My touring usually consists of going to the parks for a few hours in the morning, break at the resort midday and then maybe a few more hours at the parks before retreating back to the resort for the evening. Although POP has some decent pools, I would like to stay at a deluxe where the amenities are nicer and a variety of restaurants close at hand. I do a lot of TS dining which I guess balances out since I don't drink. You definitely have an advantage with driving and an AP.

Wow, OP, I could've written the exact same post. I have:
  • No wife or kids
  • Friends who can't or won't go with me as often as I'd like
  • Dreams of staying at the Contemporary
  • More stays at POP than I'd like (to save money - I like POP though)
Splitting the cost of a hotel room is a huge benefit. I can do WDW reasonably cheap for a short trip, but I try to find someone to go with me when I want to stay longer. My friends just aren't down for it usually though. I definitely feel your pain. I need more Disney friends.

Still, you gotta have some fun for yourself too, so if POFQ is better for you, then why not? There's no harm in it as long as one's not going into massive debt over it.

Yep, sounds about right! The hotel cost is the killer. Living on the west side, I can't do short trips to WDW as I can when I visit DLR so it's at least a week stay at WDW.
I do like POP as I've stayed there twice (once solo and once w/family) but it's definitely not a place I'd stay at if cost wasn't an issue. I'm excited for POFQ but I'll be honest, it just doesn't have that 'resort feel' to it like the deluxe resorts have. If I didn't rely heavily on EE and the buses then I would stay at one of the offsite hotels that are just as nice as a deluxe but half the price.

I was really lucky and got upgraded to a CL Theme Park view room at the Contemporary last year (I was only staying one night as a final send off) and it may have ruined me for life when it comes to staying at Disney resorts haha but I'll still give them all a go - it is Disney after all!

You don't know how many times I have thought about doing this same thing!

You don't know how many times I have thought about doing this same thing!

I would say there's no harm in doing it once for a special occasion but there's no guarantee it won't ruin you haha.

I will say I'm probably in a different boat to many solo travelers because of coming from the UK so it is always a bit special.

Edit to add: But I'm in the same boat, no kids, no husband, no mortgage, friends that don't like Disney that much (and definitely wouldn't be willing to spend that much money on a trip) What else is a girl to do but come to Disney alone

I do a lot of TS dining which I guess balances out since I don't drink. You definitely have an advantage with driving and an AP.

I almost never do table service dining when I am solo, but you can definitely save a ton of money not drinking. I've never been a drinker, and sometimes my friends' bar tabs are astounding to me. I'd rather spend the money on good food.

Have you considered the Disney Vacation Club? If you plan on being at Disney more than once a year and enjoy deluxe resorts it may be the way to go. It's the only way we can do it.

I usually stay at the values, where I am quite happy! I got to WDW 3-4x/year; I eat TS 1-2x/year--simply can't justify the cost. And no alcohol (not a big deal for me.)

I spend a fair amount of time relaxing at my resort and like to go back and forth between parks and the resort, so I definitely prefer staying at deluxes for their location and ambiance. I'm a DVC member, which makes it much more affordable. When I stay on a cash reservation, I book a cheaper deluxe (AKL or WL) using the AP discount. My trips are usually on the shorter side of 3-4 nights - sometimes just one or two nights! When I travel solo, I eat less frequently at table service restaurants than when I'm with a group, so that definitely cuts down on my spending too.

Hotel price is the one thing holding me back from making a solo trip so far. I'm used to staying with family at Shades, where we split the cost making it very very affordable. The thought of a large chunk of vacation budget going to a room that I'll only sleep and shower in just irks me LOL. I guess I'll either have to get over the thought and just pay up or find a friend to go with me and split the cost :)

I rented DVC points and I'm staying and AKL (well, AKV). :)

It's still not cheap, but renting points made the impossible possible ;)

I've gone solo 3 times in the last year and had to really save for each one and cut back on certain things to be able to afford it. I love moderates, so I try to do split stays...a few nights at a mod and then a few nights at a value. I'm trying a deluxe for the first time this summer for the 10th anniversary DIS meet just bc of the group rates they got. It's about the only way I could go deluxe! I have an AP also, which helps with some really great room only rates for values.

I'm actually moving down there soon though because I can't afford to go as often as I want to. Can't wait to be a local!

I'm going solo this August. This will be my 4th time doing a solo trip. I've done Pop, Caribbean & AKL as a solo traveller. All of those I booked through Orbitz with a stackable discount on top of the Disney Discount. So pretty good discounted rates on the rooms. For Pop last August I got it for $63 a night!!! However I had to pay cash up front and couldn't use Disney Cards.

So this year....I'm also doing my 1st split stay as a solo traveller. 4 nights at YC & 4 nights at the Poly! Two dream hotels for me!!! Found a great deal through a travel agency. Normally I like to have complete control over my booking but the rates were awesome and I could pay with Disney Gift Cards! I got YC for $214 a night and the Poly for $238 a night! Through the Budget boards on here I learned various tricks to save on vacations as well as about Swaybacks & Perk TV. Through these programs I have earned enough gift cards to pay for my vacation! Total for vacation $2750 (not including AP that was bought last trip). However.... My total out of pocket for my 8 night trip, with an AP, Flights from Maine & dining etc. is $36.20 ( my southwest flight taxes and early bird check in fees that has to be paid by a cc)!!! I highly recommend looking into these two programs as well learning other tricks that members have suggested on these boards! I can't thank the Budget Dis board members enough!!!

For me I would rather go more often and stay at a value. I will admit I've had a one time deluxe vacation for our 25th anniversary. We even stayed concierge. I did get a very good discount at the time or I wouldn't have done it. We've been to Disney over 50 times and we always stay value. We did a moderate twice and a deluxe once in all those trips. For the moderate I stayed with friends to share the cost and we did it with free dining. I've only done a few trips solo and they have been value all the way. I will say we could have afforded more deluxe vacations, but I just didn't find it attractive to do so.

I love being in the parks. I use the resort for sleep only. I can't see spending big bucks for a room I'm not using. I can visit any resort and have a meal there and look around and have a drink or whatever.

A split stay may be your best bet. You can get a taste of staying at a deluxe, but not pay for a deluxe for your whole stay.

If you really want to treat yourself then you need to make cutbacks at home. Stop spending money on extras. Cut back on your cell phone and get a cheaper plan. Cut cable/satellite. Eat at home all the time and learn to love pasta and peanut butter. Don't go to movies, plays or concerts for a while. Don't buy a new car. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. If you get gifts ask for Disney gift cards which can be used for your trip. Make out a budget and see if it's doable. Also, is it worth giving up all your extras to make up for the higher costs of a Disney deluxe resort.

I'm even having a hard time justifying a trip to Disney World at all, nowadays. I think I will wait for Hollywood Studios to become a real park again.

Those are excellent rates! How were you able to find those through the travel agent? Did you start out with fixed dates in August, or did you ask the agent what was the cheapest week to go?

I had fixed dates! End of August. There are deals out there!!! Some Agencies have specials during Labor Day. If you google it you can find it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter