So We Saw Pixar's New Animated Feature "Coco" Today (Spoilers - add spoiler tags please)

Saw it today, loved it. Inspiring me to tell my children memories about my mom, who died before they were born and who does not have others to carry down her stories.

I went to see Coco today. I loved it. I could probably nitpick, and "Up" is still my favorite, but I highly recommend Coco and really want to see it again.

I'm not going to comment much because spoiler-free is definitely the way to go into this. I will say Gael Garcia Bernal is awesome and I love Hector. I enjoyed the music and thought it was used well, and enjoyed the use of things like the paper cutouts and film clips for exposition. This is really IMO not for tiny tots; there are some complex characters and relationships and some darkness (we are dealing with dead people here). It's PG for a reason.

I enjoyed Olaf"s Frozen Adventure (I like Olaf), but it totally felt like a TV special someone decided to shove in the theatre.

We just saw the movie. Myself, my SO and ds17 and dd11. We all LOVED it.

My children’s great grandmother on their dads side is Mama Coco and the grandma acts just like my grandma so the story hit us a bit more. I thought the storyline was amazing. And i loved that there wasn’t as much singing as frozen, or didn’t feel like there was as much.

I went back and started reading reviews now that I've seen the movie. If you have not seen Coco yet, DO NOT read ANY reviews first!! There aren't explicit spoilers, but references to plot points and themes that I'm really glad I knew nothing about going in.

Hello everyone....getting back to the movie Coco, we just saw it tonight and it was EXCELLENT! Interesting, informative, breath-takingly beautiful, learned about the Mexican culture, heart warming, got teary-eyed several times. Everyone clapped at the end. We all loved it.......AND......no one in my family like the Frozen short....we all felt it was too long.

That Frozen short was painful. They should have retitled it "Olaf's Xmas Cash Grab!"

We saw it at the El Capitan Theater yesterday. The movie started at 10am, but maybe a half hour or more before that the Mariachi Divas played, and they had some folklórico dancers while people were entering the theater. I'm an easy audience because I enjoyed Olaf's Frozen Adventure. My (adult) kids weren't too impressed by it. I loved how he collected traditions, though, and really enjoyed the song he sang while collecting them.

I've been looking into the cast to see names I recognize. Alanna Ubach voices Mama Imelda, and she has a beautiful voice (she was in Legally Blonde as one of the two goofy friends, and Brady Bunch Movie). All the singing voices were good, and I'll be getting some of those songs for my ipod.

That Frozen short was painful. They should have retitled it "Olaf's Xmas Cash Grab!"
Agreed. Felt annoying and something that had to be endured. I did laugh out loud at one scene but for the most part, I wanted to get on with the movie. Loved Coco and highly recommend it!

THIS!! Our showtime was 10:00 and between the previews (which we knew to expect) and the short (which I’d forgotten about and was anything but short), Coco itself didn’t start for us until 10:40! :rolleyes:

I generally don’t have issues with Frozen, but this short may have finally been the thing to make me jump on the “I’m SO TOTALLY OVER FROZEN” bandwagon. The woman in the seat next to me said something like “FINALLY” when it ended...my thoughts exactly!

Coco was awesome though, highly recommend it! :rotfl2:

Okay, now that it has opened officially...

Holy Plot Twist, Batman!!

During the AMC Theater preview when we found out who Miguel's real father was, someone shouted, "WHAT????" LOL That was everyone's reaction.

Here are some Easter Eggs for those who might go see it again.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...easter-eggs-hidden-plain-sight-002559450.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjKptDexNrXAhXEYt8KHXoCA14QFggxMAI&url=http://www.businessinsider.com/coco-pixar-easter-eggs-2017-11&usg=AOvVaw0k98uuz-l_uqHRX0gWJoPM

Last edited:
We saw Coco this afternoon and loved it. The story was beautiful, the scenery incredible. My daughter is 8 and didn't find the skeletons scary, but we all shed a tear at the end. We also enjoyed the Olaf short but agree that it was too long. Our showtime was 1:30 pm and it was almost 4:00 when we left the theater.

Now that I've figured out / remembered how to do the spoiler text, I want to make a couple of comments of things I loved here.

Lee Unkrich & Crew should teach a master class in Surprise Villain Reveal. I totally did not see that coming, although I'm sure there were tips along the way. And way to go seriously dark, guys. Someone ended up reminding me a bit of Charles Muntz in "Up." And in the end we get a new Pixar couple to love - I really liked them. Of course I liked him before I even saw the movie, but had no idea he would end up being so important and moving.

Man, the more I think about this movie, the more I love it and want to see it again.

Now that I've figured out / remembered how to do the spoiler text, I want to make a couple of comments of things I loved here.

Lee Unkrich & Crew should teach a master class in Surprise Villain Reveal. I totally did not see that coming, although I'm sure there were tips along the way. And way to go seriously dark, guys. Someone ended up reminding me a bit of Charles Muntz in "Up." And in the end we get a new Pixar couple to love - I really liked them. Of course I liked him before I even saw the movie, but had no idea he would end up being so important and moving.

Man, the more I think about this movie, the more I love it and want to see it again.

I want to see it again. Dd and i May go one morning to see it during matinee pricing.

At movie theatre now getting ready to watch it. My wife wanted to wait and see it on the ship. I talked her into seeing it now. No need to wait until we are on the ship we have movie pass. Plently of other things to do on the ship instead of watching a movie.

My kids and I loved it. I loved that they really focused on family. I feel like I learned a great deal about that holiday-something I knew very little about before. And I am glad for it.

I really disliked the Frozen "short." (It was not short at all-it was a full length tv episode.) My 6 year old has a limited attention span-just about the length of an animated movie. So I planned for us to arrive right before it started. The start time for the movie was 4:30. I looked at my watch when the Frozen short ended-it was 5:20! Between previews and Frozen-it was 50 minutes later! Sure enough, my daughter was getting fidgety by the end of the movie. But it speaks volumes that she still lasted through it.

The story line, color, and music were beautiful!

My kids and I loved it. I loved that they really focused on family. I feel like I learned a great deal about that holiday-something I knew very little about before. And I am glad for it.

I really disliked the Frozen "short." (It was not short at all-it was a full length tv episode.) My 6 year old has a limited attention span-just about the length of an animated movie. So I planned for us to arrive right before it started. The start time for the movie was 4:30. I looked at my watch when the Frozen short ended-it was 5:20! Between previews and Frozen-it was 50 minutes later! Sure enough, my daughter was getting fidgety by the end of the movie. But it speaks volumes that she still lasted through it.

The story line, color, and music were beautiful!

Yeah, I didn't hate the Frozen short by any means, but it was much too long. One might think they had done that because Coco ran short, but it did not (110 minutes - long for an animated feature). The Frozen short was designed as a TV special, hence it's perfect 22 minute run time (half-hour with commercials). Honestly, while I did enjoy it, it was too long for it's placement with Coco and probably should have just been on TV. Still, it had like 5 original songs, so they went all out on it.

Yeah, I didn't hate the Frozen short by any means, but it was much too long. One might think they had done that because Coco ran short, but it did not (110 minutes - long for an animated feature). The Frozen short was designed as a TV special, hence it's perfect 22 minute run time (half-hour with commercials). Honestly, while I did enjoy it, it was too long for it's placement with Coco and probably should have just been on TV. Still, it had like 5 original songs, so they went all out on it.

The really odd thing about the Frozen short was that it didn't quite fill up the screen where I saw it. It had black bands on four sides. I don't know if this was just something that happened where I saw it or it was the way it was supposed to be viewed.

Coco was supposed to be shown in a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, but it would typically not fill in most screens which might be 2:1 or lower. I've seen mechanical shutters (some that moved into place after the trailers shown in a different aspect ration) designed to cover the excess part of the screen, but that wasn't used in the room where I saw Coco.

I looked it up, and Olaf's Frozen Adventure was made for a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. I suppose it was easier to just center it in 2:39:1 rather than having to release it as a separate program where it could fill up the screen.

The really odd thing about the Frozen short was that it didn't quite fill up the screen where I saw it. It had black bands on four sides. I don't know if this was just something that happened where I saw it or it was the way it was supposed to be viewed.

Coco was supposed to be shown in a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, but it would typically not fill in most screens which might be 2:1 or lower. I've seen mechanical shutters (some that moved into place after the trailers shown in a different aspect ration) designed to cover the excess part of the screen, but that wasn't used in the room where I saw Coco.

I looked it up, and Olaf's Frozen Adventure was made for a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. I suppose it was easier to just center it in 2:39:1 rather than having to release it as a separate program where it could fill up the screen.

Yeah, it being made for TV makes sense that it would be 1.78:1. I had the same experience too and I always wonder if our projectionist messed something up, though is that even really possible anymore with digital?

I also think it's weird that they did not advertise this or give any warning about it at all. A lot of people in my theater were confused, especially with the long run time. When the credits ran I heard a kid ask loudly "Was that the movie?" Obviously Disney was trying some kind of experiment here, but I would say the results show that they should keep the shorts around the usual 7 or so minutes and leave the half-hour stuff for another venue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter