Snorkeling options and excursion on Eastern Caribbean

shosh1530

DIS Veteran
We are doing an Eastern Caribbean cruise this summer on the Fantasy with stops at Tortola and St. Thomas. We hope to do snorkeling at least one of those days (first timers) and are torn about the options.

Does anyone have favorite places where they've snorkeled on this route? Especially that would be good for beginners (including a 12 year old boy who sometimes gets bored easily)? I'd especially love to see a sea turtle and am considering some options that include kayaking (which I loved in Alaska last year).

We are considering:

-Booking a shared day sail in Tortola (not through DCL) to Norman Island/Caves area. Pricier as it is only 12-15 people. This would be a full 6-hour day with 2-3 snorkel stops, some beach time, and lunch. A bit worried that the time frame/amount of snorkeling would be too much for the kiddo.

-Treasure Island Swim & Snorkel (TT44) in Tortola - This seems to go to similar area as the day sail above (I think?) with one 60 minute stop and then 60 minute beach stop where you can relax or snorkel from the beach. Cost is less but I'm guessing more people?

-Snorkel at Norman Island (TT20) in Tortola - Another option from DCL with two stops (about 3 hours total). Videos online look like the boat might carry 50-70 people.

-Aquatic Snorkeling with Sea Turtles (ST86) in St. Thomas (DCL) - mostly attracted to this for the possibility of sea turtles. Snorkeling is from the beach not a boat.

-A kayak and snorkel tour through St. Thomas Adventure Tours in St. Thomas. They offer small group tours (6 people) and have a money back guarantee to see turtles (either from beach or kayaking snorkel tours). Anyone done this?

-Snorkeling with sea turtles tour through VI ecotours in St. John - 3 hour tours but have to add ferry time back and forth. They do snorkeling from Honeymoon beach and kayak/snorkel tours.

-Kayak, Hike, and Snorkel of Cas Cay (ST32) - This is more in a mangrove area and would likely not have turtles. But DS liked the sound of it (especially the hermit crab races).

Decisions decisions decisions! We would likely do an island tour/beach time at whichever stop we don't snorkel at.

We’re on this cruise for the first time in a couple of months so I have no direct experience, but I did see a recent YouTube video where they saw sea turtles on Treasure Island Swim & Snorkel (TT44).

Given this is your first snorkel you are right to chose a tour. They will have all the equipment and give you instruction. I assume you are all reasonable swimmers, as snorkeling in the open ocean vs off a beach can be quite different with waves etc. I have not done any of these tours, I have my own equipment and tend to do my own thing wherever we go. I will say, however, that seeing wildlife can be a hit or miss kind off thing and I say this as a wildlife photographer. Nature doesn't always cooperate. My last eastern cruise I snorkeled at Jost Van Dyke and at Magens Bay, St Thomas. On my own-no tour-just transport to get there. Both places I saw turtles. But I had to swim way out there to see them, to the point that I made my family nervous thinking I was swimming back to the ship- LOL. Doing it on my own and using dcl transport, allowed me to snorkel as long as I wanted and still have beach time, lunch time and also make it back to the ship in time. I think you will have a great time, and see some amazing things. Good luck with your choices!

GPTempDownload 2.jpg

We faced the same dilemma back in 2022 and ended up doing the Norman Island Swim and Snorkel. I don't remember how many people were on the excursion but it did not feel overcrowded and there was plenty of space to snorkel. We did see lots of marine life including turtles. The second stop was a beach where you could sit onshore or go to the snorkel area and we actually saw more turtles there than at the first stop. It was one of the better excursions that we have done.

We’re on this cruise for the first time in a couple of months so I have no direct experience, but I did see a recent YouTube video where they saw sea turtles on Treasure Island Swim & Snorkel (TT44).
Ooh thanks for sharing! This gives me hope. I need to search for more videos to compare.

Given this is your first snorkel you are right to chose a tour. They will have all the equipment and give you instruction. I assume you are all reasonable swimmers, as snorkeling in the open ocean vs off a beach can be quite different with waves etc.
DH is a very strong swimmer (former life guard), but I do worry that DS and I could struggle a bit if there are strong currents. I'm probably the weakest of the bunch and am planning to do more swimming for exercise over the next 3 months.

Would you say snorkeling from the beach or in the open ocean is easier?

I have not done any of these tours, I have my own equipment and tend to do my own thing wherever we go. I will say, however, that seeing wildlife can be a hit or miss kind off thing and I say this as a wildlife photographer. Nature doesn't always cooperate. My last eastern cruise I snorkeled at Jost Van Dyke and at Magens Bay, St Thomas. On my own-no tour-just transport to get there. Both places I saw turtles. But I had to swim way out there to see them, to the point that I made my family nervous thinking I was swimming back to the ship- LOL. Doing it on my own and using dcl transport, allowed me to snorkel as long as I wanted and still have beach time, lunch time and also make it back to the ship in time. I think you will have a great time, and see some amazing things. Good luck with your choices!

I'm curious how you used DCL transport? Did you do an excursion to get the beach areas, but then just snorkeled on your own.

I've considered buying our own equipment (but not sure I'd want to transport it) or even taking a snorkeling class before we go (some local dive shops will do a short pool instruction class). I might at least see if I could borrow from someone or get one set to do some pool practice with.

Thanks!

DH is a very strong swimmer (former life guard), but I do worry that DS and I could struggle a bit if there are strong currents. I'm probably the weakest of the bunch and am planning to do more swimming for exercise over the next 3 months.

Would you say snorkeling from the beach or in the open ocean is easier?

I'm curious how you used DCL transport? Did you do an excursion to get the beach areas, but then just snorkeled on your own.

I've considered buying our own equipment (but not sure I'd want to transport it) or even taking a snorkeling class before we go (some local dive shops will do a short pool instruction class). I might at least see if I could borrow from someone or get one set to do some pool practice with.

Thanks!
The snorkeling tours will be cautious-making sure that the waves aren't too big or the current too strong or they will take you to another quieter location. Just to be sure that if you have never swam in the ocean, it can be very different than a pool. And the main reason is so you can enjoy your experience. Doing more swimming to become stronger is a great idea and great for you anyway. I swim for exercise several times a week and just love it.

Yes- I bring my own equipment. So dcl offers a Jost Van Dyke beach day and a stop at Magen's Bay in St Thomas. It can be beach time, swim time etc. I have a prescription mask-so I can see, and a snorkel. I tend not to travel with fins as they are bulky. If I want them/need them and the area has rentals, I will rent them. And I do my own thing.

I think taking a class or at least borrow before you buy is a great way to see if you will like it before you purchase. I love it and love to see the fish. And turtles when I am lucky. I hope you enjoy!

I can’t speak yet to the experience (we’re going early May), but we’ve booked a private jeep tour + snorkeling with sea turtles in St. Thomas. It’s definitely more than going on a larger tour (we booked with St. Thomas Adventure Scuba & Snorkel - it’s $400 for a private tour of 4 people or less), but this is our only excursion on this trip and I liked the idea of individualized attention and them completely working around our schedule. My daughter LOVES sea turtles, so I’m hoping we get some good chances to see them! (Our tour goes to two different locations, one where they tend to see hawksbill turtles, the other where they tend to see green sea turtles).

I can’t speak yet to the experience (we’re going early May), but we’ve booked a private jeep tour + snorkeling with sea turtles in St. Thomas. It’s definitely more than going on a larger tour (we booked with St. Thomas Adventure Scuba & Snorkel - it’s $400 for a private tour of 4 people or less), but this is our only excursion on this trip and I liked the idea of individualized attention and them completely working around our schedule. My daughter LOVES sea turtles, so I’m hoping we get some good chances to see them! (Our tour goes to two different locations, one where they tend to see hawksbill turtles, the other where they tend to see green sea turtles).
That tour looks amazing! So many great options!

I hope you enjoy your cruise and do another trip report!

I would also love to hear how you like it—I checked out the website, and it seems like a great excursion and totally worth the $. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing more!

That tour looks amazing! So many great options!

I hope you enjoy your cruise and do another trip report!
I would also love to hear how you like it—I checked out the website, and it seems like a great excursion and totally worth the $. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing more!
I’ll definitely report back after! (And probably write another trip report 🙂)

@sadiecatie I was rereadng this thread as we are still making our final excursion plans for our trip in June. How was the excursion you did in St. Thomas with the sea turtles? Would you recommend it?

@sadiecatie I was rereadng this thread as we are still making our final excursion plans for our trip in June. How was the excursion you did in St. Thomas with the sea turtles? Would you recommend it?
Oh yes! It was absolutely phenomenal! My favorite thing of our whole trip. It was sooooo worth the cost. We ended up paying $450 - the private tour plus $50 for all of the photos our guide took (he airdropped almost 200 to me). We had Perry as our guide and he was great. We got to snorkel for almost an hour, saw lots of turtles plus stingrays and coral with lots of fish. He also took us on a jeep tour of the island, and we could have done another snorkel spot but my daughter was tired, so he took us to a great little beach for some swim/play time and it was just us! Basically our own private beach paradise. I could not have asked for a better experience!

Attachments

• IMG_1449.jpeg
    IMG_1449.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 6
Oh yes! It was absolutely phenomenal! My favorite thing of our whole trip. It was sooooo worth the cost. We ended up paying $450 - the private tour plus $50 for all of the photos our guide took (he airdropped almost 200 to me). We had Perry as our guide and he was great. We got to snorkel for almost an hour, saw lots of turtles plus stingrays and coral with lots of fish. He also took us on a jeep tour of the island, and we could have done another snorkel spot but my daughter was tired, so he took us to a great little beach for some swim/play time and it was just us! Basically our own private beach paradise. I could not have asked for a better experience!
Sounds amazing! Did they pick you up at the cruise dock?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter