Simple Strength Training Sets

jmasgat

DIS Veteran
Include me on the list of those among us that struggle with (read: hate) strength training. It can be a daunting task to find something that is not too long, can be done by mere mortals, and provides an overall body benefit. I don't claim to have the elusive "perfect" set, but I thought maybe we could share some simple sets that we can try to get us engaged. Because some strength training > no strength training. And by simple I mean 8-12 exercises that require little/no equipment that can be done by anyone.

So I will offer this set of 10 exercises that I found on Nike for runners. It's straightforward, requires one dumbbell/weight and a step and provides an overall body workout. All can be modified to be made easier/harder. The 10 exercises are:

--Plank
--Squat
--Lateral Box Pushup
--Split Squat
--Bicycle Crunch
--Single Leg Glute Bridge
--Lateral step up (weight)
--One Arm Bent Over Row
--Kneeling Curl to Press
--Single Leg Deadlift (weight)

Anyone have any short sets they care to share?

Last edited:
I love strength training! Any movement can be done with body weight only, and resistance bands are a great way to make them more challenging!

- clam shells
- side lunges (these get me every time!)
- curtsy lunges
- donkey kicks
- superman
- dead bugs
- resistance band marches (this will get glutes and hip flexors)
- skater hops

I actually did my first strength workout in awhile this morning. I keep trying to simplify it but then continue to add stuff in until the workout is super long, I think because of how I used to train for HS sports, I.e. wrestling and football. We’ll see if I can keep it simpler this time. Focus on upper body as I would really like to be able to do pull ups again.

Paired exercises performed as super sets

Push ups
Prisoner squats or air squats or bodyweight squats(whatever is your naming preference)

Wide grip pull downs
Forward lunge

Arnold press
Bent fly

Machine curls(edit-properly this should be standing cable curls)
Dumbbell tricep extension

Farmers carry

Wall sits

Plank

Glute bridge

And I need to start doing yoga again.

Last edited:
UNC Basketball Medicine Ball Workout - Did it about 2-3x per week. Usually takes 15-20 minutes. Routine is the same everyday. Did it for a few years.
McMillan Core Routine - Did it about 2-3x per week. Usually takes about 20-30 minutes. I found it more difficult than the UNC routine. Has a little bit of progression to it, but rather repetitive. No weights or equipment necessary.
McMillan Legs - Did it about 2x per week. Usually takes about 20-30 minutes. No weights, and only needs a step.

I love lifting weights, and think it’s a great addition to running. I have my own rack, plates, dumbbells, and a TRX set, but you can easily modify any of the exercises. I generally follow a “bro split” or push/pull workout routine.

Chest/Push:

Flat bench barbell press x 4
Dumbbell kickbacks x 4
Roman chair x 4
Incline bench barbell press x 4
Bosu ball crunches x 5 (25 per set)
Decline bench barbell press x 4
Skull crushers x 4
Planks x 4 (60 sec set)
Either TRX flye or Dumbbell flye x 4

Back/Pull

Pull-ups x 5
Leg lifts x 5
Hammer curls x 5
Bent-over barbell rows x 5
Bosu ball crunches x 5 (25 per set)
Barbell curls x 5
TRX rows x 5
Planks x 4 (60 sec set)
Concentration curls x 5

Shoulders/Push & pull

military Barbell Press x 5
Dumbbell shoulder press x 5
Barbell shrugs x 5
Lateral dumbbell raises x 5
Reverse TRX or dumbbell flye x 5
Front dumbbell raises x 5

Legs/ Push & pull

Squats x 4
Calf raises x 4
Deadlifts x 4
Romanian deadlifts x 4
Walking lunges x 4

@Zutroy ......you and I have a very different idea of "simple" 😄 Your workout makes me want to run away screaming.

It’s actually very simple once you understand the biomechanics. Your muscles are either adductors (which pull your body parts) or abductors (which push them from your body). The three key compound exercises are (1) squats (2) deadlifts and (3) bench press. If you just stick with those three, you are already accomplishing 90% of what a workout should be. Those are total body exercises that strengthen your posterior chain, core, and upper torso. Everything else is just enhancing the stabilizing muscles.

Are you a Peloton subscriber? I find their strength classes are excellent. Sure, you need a bike for the bike classes, but a lot of the strength classes require nothing. I went ahead and bought a few free weights to use in the classes that do require them.

The best exercise program is the one you use. DW and I set a goal of doing at least one Peloton class every day in May. So far so good - long way to go though. I have been doing 30 minutes on the bike and a 10 minute strength class each day.

I have been using Fitness Blender for many years, and I link the specific videos I'm using in my training journal each week. There's lots of great free videos, and you can search by difficulty, type of workout, duration, etc.

Right now I do one day each of upper, lower, and total body strength, two days of core, and one day of yoga (that one's from Yoga with Adriene - currently I am working my way through last year's 30 days of yoga).

If you're looking for something specific, I'm happy to recommend videos!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter