SAP+ ?

Admittedly I’m new at this, since I just signed my first contract and haven’t even closed yet. I definitely look at these calculations, and one of the aggregators (apparently I can’t name it) basically does them for you on all the listings. But they ignore the time value of money - I’d rather pay the a lower price up front because the money I keep grows in the meantime. When you look at the lowest overall cost points over time including dues, the buy in for SSR is always by far the least expensive. Like, not even close. And who knows what will happen in the next 30 plus years, it’s highly unlikely I’d keep the contract that long, which means I’ll be avoiding dues after I sell.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t buy where they want to stay, but every time I look at it SSR just makes the most economic sense.
That was my reasoning also. I also will never be near WDW during peak times so that helps. Next I think my wife and I will only be park intensive for 10 years or so after that being near DS is just as important as being near a park.

That was my reasoning also. I also will never be near WDW during peak times so that helps. Next I think my wife and I will only be park intensive for 10 years or so after that being near DS is just as important as being near a park.
Out of curiosity, what do you do at DS besides eat a meal? (if anything) Or is that the point, you'll be spending a lot more days as resort days & going out for some meals, not needing to be in a park?

Admittedly I’m new at this, since I just signed my first contract and haven’t even closed yet. I definitely look at these calculations, and one of the aggregators (apparently I can’t name it) basically does them for you on all the listings. But they ignore the time value of money - I’d rather pay the a lower price up front because the money I keep grows in the meantime. When you look at the lowest overall cost points over time including dues, the buy in for SSR is always by far the least expensive. Like, not even close. And who knows what will happen in the next 30 plus years, it’s highly unlikely I’d keep the contract that long, which means I’ll be avoiding dues after I sell.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t buy where they want to stay, but every time I look at it SSR just makes the most economic sense.
We got started with SSR for the low buy in and because we actually really like it over there so if we’re “stuck” there, we’re just fine. That being said, we’ve been lucky in the SAP game booking BWV twice, BRV and I just scored a BLT std view right at 7 months.

Out of curiosity, what do you do at DS besides eat a meal? (if anything) Or is that the point, you'll be spending a lot more days as resort days & going out for some meals, not needing to be in a park?
I only made this purchase after I retired. My original plan was for my wife and I to use our contracts to spend the end of January in Florida. WDW provides a very good environment for my wife and I because we move at entirely different speeds.

On many vacations I would sit silently in a hotel room waiting for my wife to wake up and get ready to go somewhere. That does not work when you have a car and if one person goes the other is stranded. It was a big reason our vacations became limited. At WDW I can just go, and we can meet up later.

Our plans switched when my granddaughter and daughter decided they want to go to Disney. We switched for now to August trips. My daughter, granddaughter and I get up early and hit the parks my wife meets us when she is ready and goes back when she wants to.

In about 10 years when my granddaughter is older and she brings a friend they can ride the bus on their own and my wife and I will spend time at the pool, at DS and doing whatever. It still works because Disney provides the transportation that either of can use whenever we want to use it.

So yes, more resort days.

We got started with SSR for the low buy in and because we actually really like it over there so if we’re “stuck” there, we’re just fine. That being said, we’ve been lucky in the SAP game booking BWV twice, BRV and I just scored a BLT std view right at 7 months.
Same last year at 4 months I booked a week at BLT Lakeview. This year exactly at 7 months I booked 5 days at a 1-bedroom BLT LV (was able to modify to standard) and 4 days in a 2 bedroom at BWV.

Next year I will try either AKV or BRV/CCV or if our split stay goes good maybe both.

Very true, the buy-in is definitely lower with SSR, but the dues stop on any resort you sell so that’s no issue for comparison.

You can definitely look at it from different ways, but not keeping it “that long” may be where you lose that low buy-in value… depending on when you sell. SSR won’t be worth as much in 25 years as the others. (But that also may not matter) :)
You never know where resale prices are going to go, but.... if you pay less up front, that means the dues portion of your overall price is back-loaded. The earlier you sell the more of the cost you avoid. I'm in my early 60s so if I'm still going in 25 years I'll be so happy I won't care. :-)

I realized that when booking paid stays I'd be perfectly happy at Bonnet Creek or the Disney Springs area but prefer they had better bus service and access to extra evening hours. Voila, SSR.

If maximum value is what you’re going for, SSR is definitely the way to go. CCV comes out ahead on a cost/year basis but when taking into account opportunity cost SSR is still the winner. I am yet to see ONLY SSR be available at 7 months. The part I personally struggle with is I’m paying pretty much the same amount in dues, and dues make up 2/3rd or more of the cost of the contract during it’s lifetime and then the last 1/3rd comes from buy in. If I assume I’m getting SSR for 80 dollars pp, and then CCV for 130 for example. (80/130)*1/3= .205 + 2/3 =.871 so roughly saving 13% of the total contract? I get that 13% of 100,000+ dollars is not insignificant but IDK. I know it’s dumb but there’s a pride aspect of being able to say you own at like VGF or Poly and etc. In addition there’s the matter of being able to book standard view which isn’t always available at 7 months. You could argue you’re getting more when booking the more expensive views that you wouldn’t have gotten when booking standards but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ how much the view matters is obviously a personal opinion. IMO can’t really go wrong with either option.

Last edited:
I mean, if one is only looking at overall cost....staying with cash off-site or at a value resort would be the best. That was actually my mindset for years. We stayed value at WDW and off site at Disneyland. I never considered DVC until last year because, to me, the cost wasn't worth it. Value/off site was always going to be cheaper.

But obviously if you look at what you get for your money...DVC is better in that respect.

So if you look at what each resort has to offer....SSR might make the most economical sense but that doesn't mean it will have the most value to buyers. It really is such a personal thing when you look at how much value a resort holds.

I mean, if one is only looking at overall cost....staying with cash off-site or at a value resort would be the best. That was actually my mindset for years. We stayed value at WDW and off site at Disneyland. I never considered DVC until last year because, to me, the cost wasn't worth it. Value/off site was always going to be cheaper.

But obviously if you look at what you get for your money...DVC is better in that respect.

So if you look at what each resort has to offer....SSR might make the most economical sense but that doesn't mean it will have the most value to buyers. It really is such a personal thing when you look at how much value a resort holds.
I look at all of the threads started by SSR people who are complaining about 7m availability at other resorts and feel 0 sympathy. DVC is going to continue to flood the system with points and it’s all about #buywhereyouwanttostay

I look at all of the threads started by SSR people who are complaining about 7m availability at other resorts and feel 0 sympathy. DVC is going to continue to flood the system with points and it’s all about #buywhereyouwanttostay
I haven’t seen them because I rarely stray from Purchasing DVC and Aulani…but I do think availability is only going to get worse from here, and it could get much worse in a worst case scenario with DVC 2.0.

Someone who buys SSR and then complains about 7 month availability at other resorts probably complains about a myriad of things in their life.

IMO, SAP are only a good choice for those planning to stay in 1 bedrooms. Those looking for studios will end up disappointed more often than not, especially if they want to visit during the popular times of the year, or prefer NOT to do split stays. YMMV.

IMO, SAP are only a good choice for those planning to stay in 1 bedrooms. Those looking for studios will end up disappointed more often than not, especially if they want to visit during the popular times of the year, or prefer NOT to do split stays. YMMV.
Or CC cabins, CC GV, AKL GV, Poly bungalows...there are many reasons why a lower buyin w/SSR (for SAPs) works for some people. Each of these are available within 7 months for much of the year. If that's what a buyer is looking for it makes sense for them.

"SSR people" here... :crazy:

I agree, in part. Yes, I think you should buy where you want to stay. But should you buy ONLY where you want to stay? I don't think so.

To me that's the whole premise behind SAPs is acknowledging that you don't need a priority window. So yes, if that's why “they” bought in then “they” shouldn't complain about not having availability.

Last edited:
I just don't think I'd ever buy true SAPs unless I really loved every single resort. And maybe if I stayed at every resort at least once, I would love them all. Who knows. I'm really not THAT picky on accommodations. But since we only plan to go every other year, right now, I'd hate to end up at a not-so-great (to us) resort.

But the concept of SAP+ is much more appealing to me. Which is why I'll probably still entertain the idea of CCV down the road since it's still at WL.

If people find that true SAPs works for them...well, more power to them! I just hope they do a lot of research. Because when I started this whole DVC journey a year ago, I really thought there would be more options available at the 7 month mark. That's probably been the most disappointing part of DVC for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter